• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorpio presentation pictured within AMD's Vega/Ryzen booth

Where are the reportd that scorpio will have 12 gb of ram?

The motherboard they showed at E3.

Plus I think Albert slipped the 384 number. He was actually talking about bandwidth, but that's 320GB/s. Although a 384 bit bus would be required for 12GB RAM, so that number was obviously in his head too and he just mixed them up.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Plus I think Albert slipped the 384 number. He was actually talking about bandwidth, but that's 320GB/s. Although a 384 bit bus would be required for 12GB RAM, so that number was obviously in his head too and he just mixed them up.
Is 384-bit needed for multiples of 3GB?

Hawk269

Yup on both counts. The Motherboard Render lead to 12gb assumption as well as what Albert said etc. In regards to the render, I would not take too much stock in that as it was really not representative of what the MOBO will actually look like. I think if they want to push things at minimum they need 12gb, should be 16gb if they really want to make this thing a true beast. Having more RAM, even if it is 12gb, leaving 3-4gb for OS level functions and having games with 8-9 full gb available for games can be a game changer in itself.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If we take the motherboard at face value, this chip is also a semicustom APU just like the current consoles, and generally speaking i would hope they have great cooling in that there thang

If we take the motherboard at face value, this chip is also a semicustom APU just like the current consoles, and generally speaking i would hope they have great cooling in that there thang

Two words;

Panos. Believe

:p

Edit: just remembered how the studio looked. Man im excited to see this box!!

Javin98

Banned
Okay. I agree. My way of asking could have came out like a witch hunt i suppose. My apologies.

One more question: if i go into a sony thread, that is guessing about the next hardware, and my first post is "no it wont be that much more powerful than the xbox".

Later to come find out dev kits arent even out until the following month.

Then i say" well i dont know what theyll have but i dont think itll be much a difference"

Would you question why i even made the first comment at all? Yes or no

And lets pretend im a dev with insider inforamtion for all 3 companies.

After that ill stop asking about matt i promise :p
Sorry I took so long to reply, it was past midnight where I'm living.

Anyway, to answer your question, it depends. Most importantly, does the insider have a proven track record and is far more often right than not? If so, no, I wouldn't question him/her. I think Matt can be trusted, in addition, he provides some really valuable insights on the game industry as a whole. On the other hand, if an insider is wrong half the time while being right half the time, as well as being overly vague with teases, then yes, I would remain skeptical and question them.

Colbert

Banned

The cooling solution in the video was huge, actually!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The cooling solution in the video was huge, actually!

Good to hear, MS have been super careful since RROD , the S and E model 360's generally provide no issues, and although i don't own an XB1 or S, they are super well designed in terms of airflow and general build

Javin98

Banned
Javin is kinda saying Verendus's name without saying it there lmao
LOL, caught me red handed there. Well done. :p

Let's solve this the old fashioned way, avatar bets :p

Leeh and/or hanspampel, would you care to participate in an avatar bet? If it's zen, you pick my avatar for the next two months. And If it's not I'll pick yours.

Also Senjutsu

I know this wasn't directed to me but is this still up? Because I want in.
Damn it, Chobel! Don't do it! Remember how you got your tag? :p

Hawk269

Enclosed, no maintenance water cooling. Like a PC CPU water cooling solution. Since ZEN* will be in there with that beefy GPU they need to have a way to cool that sucker!!!

*=Baseless speculation/wishful thinking....

LOL, caught me red handed there. Well done. :p

Damn it, Chobel! Don't do it! Remember how you got your tag? :p

what the fuck.. It's alive!!!

giphy.gif

newbong95

can the ram be of ddr3 or ddr4 type to allow compatibility with xone as latency is less compared to gddr5 ?
say there are 12 X 1gb ddr4 modules running at 2400MT/s ... how much bandwidth does it provide given 384bit bus width?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
and like mentioned before, she is likely talking about future design wins.
scorpio is already a disclosed design win

so again. i don't get how someone makes a "100% not, without any slight doubt or possible chance of being a misunderstanding " out of that.

From my perspective, her Zen comment is in response to the question about other milestones. It's why she refers to the technology as a "foundational IP that can go into many different markets" and that AMD "has good prospects in those areas" -- Zen replacing Jaguar/Puma as AMD's CPU technology within the semi-custom business is the milestone.

so what will you and all the other people say about this statement when the scorpio semi custom soc will have zen technology in it? even hypothetical?

Are you asking me whether I'll admit I was wrong or just avoid the subject? The former, of course. I'm not averse to expressing humility. Feel free to poke about my post history to confirm this for yourself.

But xenos was basically the amd gpu for the next year after 360 launch, with the difference that they replaced edram with a ring bus that ended ultimately failing.

Of course. I was just making the point that the PS4 Pro having Vega technology isn't out of the ordinary and doesn't point to anything on the CPU side.

CPUs doesn't reach anything above 200 Gigaflops and the main benchmark is not the compute performance but how many instructions can be handled per cycle (IPC).

What are you talking about? The 8 core Jaguar in a launch PS4 is already a 104GFlop design. Even if Zen didn't double the SIMD width just the clockspeed increase would put it a over 200GFlops. I think the vector capabilities have been bumped up to 256bit, though, so an 8 core Zen would be around 400Gflops at 3.2Ghz.

Colbert

Banned
What are you talking about? The 8 core Jaguar in a launch PS4 is already a 104GFlop design. Even if Zen didn't double the SIMD width just the clockspeed increase would put it a over 200GFlops. I think the vector capabilities have been bumped up to 256bit, though, so an 8 core Zen would be around 400Gflops at 3.2Ghz.

I am talking about this little picture

Edit:
Because I have forgotten where I took the screenshot from I recommend to look into the following performance table of Seti@Home. They have a really good database of GFlops per CPU. Link

zoF9D7Y.png

Edit 2:
I know that the numbers are not 100% representative for the peak performance because we don't know the conditions and the utilization of the CPUs when those benchmark tests were executed but it gives us a good picture of the real world performance. I don't see any CPU in this database even reaching 100 GFlops!

Edit 3:
The database has also AMD CPUs in it but they are distributed all over and I found no option to sort the list.

Colbert

Banned
How does this relate to Zen?

AMD used the Intel i7 6900K as a benchmark in their Ryzen presentations. As it seems from what was shown the Ryzen CPU with 8 cores is in the same ballpark at a similar clock speed so I thought to use existing benchmark numbers instead of guessing the numbers for a chip that is not out yet.

In all publications I know the i7 6900Ks has a GFlop peak performance in the lower-mid hundreds or below and not beyond 200 GFlop.

But those clock speeds are used for PC configurations, we will not see them on a console SOC. Those clock speeds will be around 2.x GHz. As a Flop has a direct dependency on the clock speed the FLOP performance will decrease by the same percentage the clock speed will be reduced.

Which means no 200 GFlops CPU in a console SOC!

Btw much more important for a CPU are the instructions per cycle imo as i would delegate bigger compute tasks to the more capable GPU.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
great post

hey frank. after the xbox one s reveal and before the eurogamer interview with albert penello about the technical details, mike ybarra already confirmed a die shrink for the new xbox one s soc
8any0qqrq8cx.png

so you obviously can't talk about this stuff right now, but i'm sure you can tease or confirm some of the new console tech after the official reveal without getting into too much trouble
so yeah this is just my way of begging to get information a little bit early ;)

Haha, although I probably "know" in that I might have seen it in a slide or something, it's literally not something I have time to think about now and I actually couldn't remember whatever specs I've been exposed to even if I was tortured. I literally couldn't leak or answer a question that went beyond "Can I do this? Does it support that? How many of these could it render?"

What I do remember is that it's beefier than I expected.

krang

Haha, although I probably "know" in that I might have seen it in a slide or something, it's literally not something I have time to think about now and I actually couldn't remember whatever specs I've been exposed to even if I was tortured. I literally couldn't leak or answer a question that went beyond "Can I do this? Does it support that? How many of these could it render?"

- Can you use all 8 Zen cores?
- Does it support Zen drivers?
- How many Grunt birthday party head pops can it render at the same time?

Presumably you expected 6TF...

Proelite

can the ram be of ddr3 or ddr4 type to allow compatibility with xone as latency is less compared to gddr5 ?
say there are 12 X 1gb ddr4 modules running at 2400MT/s ... how much bandwidth does it provide given 384bit bus width?

Around 115 gb/s using the DDR 2400 chips.

2400 will be slow in 2017. There will probably be 4266 MHz chips as an option.

And what did you expect?

Wollan

W h a t I d o r e m e m b e r i s t h a t i t ' s b e e f i e r t h a n I e x p e c t e d .

. d e t c e p x e I n a h t r e i f e e b s ' t i t a h t s i r e b m e m e r o d I t a h W

˙ p ǝ ʇ ɔ ǝ d x ǝ ı u ɐ ɥ ʇ ɹ ǝ ı ɟ ǝ ǝ q s , ʇ ı ʇ ɐ ɥ ʇ s ı ɹ ǝ q ɯ ǝ ɯ ǝ ɹ o p ı ʇ ɐ ɥ ʍ

nat-farbman-atomic-scientists-discussing-subatomic-particles.jpg

ian-bothams-twitter-account-just-posted-one-of-th-2-7925-1408350528-6_dblbig.jpg

Fair enough. Thanks for the reply anyway
I remember when Aaron Greenberg is asked technical questions about the newest Xbox Hardware he rather not go into details and just repeats the marketing slides, or to ask other people with better knowledge.
That stuff is either your job, or your hobby and a personal interest. If not you don't have to know or care much about it, as you have to deal with other more important things.

But as we speak right now.
The next Halo will look great on the next Xbox Hardware, right? ;)

Scorpio will be able to render Chief's full face.

LMAO

Proelite

But as we speak right now.
The next Halo will look great on the next Xbox Hardware, right? ;)

It'll finally have the power to emulate the feel of Halo 1 graphics on a CRT tv on your LCD. Using predictive algorithms to reduce latency.

Also 64 players splitscreen mp on a 4k TV. Each player gets a 270p screen.

Hawk269

Thanks Frankie.

So it is beefier than you expected? So, can it do Halo 5 at 60fps at 4k rock solid type of beefier or Halo 5 at 60fps/4k plus better AI, lighting, shadows beefier?

I know you probably cannot answer that, but just wondering what you think your team can do with something that is beefier than what you expected?

Hawk269

I wouldn't jump to conclusions like this. He may mean he learned there's more he could do with the targeted 6TF than he previously imagined.

That could be it too. But I think when someone says "beefier" it most likely means that he thought it was going to be at a certain power level and it is "beefier" than what he thought it was going to be. If he was thinking going in it is 6tf GPU and then told it is a 6tf GPU, the words "it is beefier than I thought" would not really come to mind. Back to your point though, it could be that he thought he could render "x" amount with 6tf and after whatever he was shown that with the same 6tf gpu he could render a lot more of "x" than what he thought which resulted in the beefier comment. What does that mean? ZEN of course! lol <kidding> with that last part!

shocked-will-smith.gif

J7OjG.gif

That could be it too. But I think when someone says "beefier" it most likely means that he thought it was going to be at a certain power level and it is "beefier" than what he thought it was going to be. If he was thinking going in it is 6tf GPU and then told it is a 6tf GPU, the words "it is beefier than I thought" would not really come to mind. Back to your point though, it could be that he thought he could render "x" amount with 6tf and after whatever he was shown that with the same 6tf gpu he could render a lot more of "x" than what he thought which resulted in the beefier comment. What does that mean? ZEN of course! lol <kidding> with that last part!

I really didn't want to go there with this one, and I make no assumptions as to what he really means, but I've always been looking at that 6TF number and honestly thought based on what we're seeing regarding Vega, the 6TF number could be Microsoft playing it safe. I've always held personally they believe internally they can manage to get something higher than 6TF on the GPU side come release, but they didn't want to imply such publicly just in case it doesn't work out that way. But if they reveal come the proper unveiling of Scorpio that it's more than 6TF, possibly 7, maybe 8 or 9, not a damn thing about it would surprise me lol. Okay, 8 or 9 would surprise me, but the idea of it being more than 6TF wouldn't.

edit: Having a little fun with the comment: There's no way he would have forgotten the publicly released info on Scorpio, the stuff the rest of us all know because he gets bombarded with it everywhere you look on the internet. Presumably in order for anything about Scorpio to be beefier than he expected, it seems a safe assumption that some aspect of it surprised him BEYOND what we already know publicly. For whatever it's worth, that is reason enough to be hopeful. :)

Now I want steak

Me 2

Senjitsu, why set yourself up for disappointment? It seems like it will be a great powerful little console. Why set your expectations so high only to be disappointed later when it's exactly what they said it would be?

I can't wait for Halo 6 Frank. The little things bothered me in 5, like low res player intros in 4v4. And in Overwatch with low res end of game screens. Looking forward to Scorpio pushing past these little annoyances and boosting image quality.

Top Bottom