• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorpion Falls From Overhead Bin on a United Flight, Lands on Man’s Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdPizza

Banned
Nope the fuck out of here.

Guess who's back in the news this morning? United Airlines.

We've been following the nightmare that's ensued after a man was forcibly dragged off a flight on Sunday, and now United's dealing with this — an unlikely eight-legged creature that fell from an overhead bin and stung a passenger.

Richard Bell and his wife Linda were on United Flight 1418 from Houston (IAH) back home to Calgary (YYC) after spending two weeks on vacation in Mexico. The Bells, who were sitting in business class, were in the air when Richard felt something drop on his head while he was eating lunch. When he reached up to grab whatever had just fallen, he realized it was a scorpion so he grabbed it by its tail so it couldn't sting him.

When a neighboring passenger told Bell that the scorpion was potentially dangerous, he dropped it on his plate. But when he picked it back up again, the scorpion stung him on the hand, which he described as feeling like a wasp sting. From there, Bell tossed the scorpion on the floor and passengers stepped on it before tossing it in the lavatory.

Of course, the issue was then if the scorpion was poisonous. Flight attendants made calls and an on-board nurse gave Bell Demerol, a painkiller, as a precaution. And when the plane landed, EMS boarded the flight but Bell showed no sign of distress and declined medical attention.

Sure enough, the last thing the Bells were expecting was a scorpion encounter on their flight. It's unclear how the scorpion got on the plane and into the overhead compartment, but it was likely stuck inside someone's luggage. United Airlines said that it's looking into the incident, but Bell hopes to get some compensation for his encounter.

more: https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/scorpion-falls-on-man-on-united/

News video here: http://globalnews.ca/news/3372520/man-bitten-by-scorpion-during-flight-to-calgary/

Motherfuckers have installed scorpion traps.

Fly United, get your ass kicked, threatened with being handcuffed or enter the lottery where you might end up sitting under a scorpion trap.

Saya

Would you rather have your head slammed into an armrest or have a scorpion crawl all over your face?

Error 404

Neo Member
Lololol oh United, can't catch a break. Determined to take that spotlight away from Spicey now that Pepsi sort of faded into the background.

but Bell hopes to get some compensation for his encounter.

I mean, I know they're everyone's favourite punching bag at the moment, but how could anyone really pin the blame on the airline for this one. It's probably damn near physically impossible for the thing to get on the plane by itself, so I'd guess it came in someone's hand luggage.

When he reached up to grab whatever had just fallen, he realized it was a scorpion so he grabbed it by its tail so it couldn’t sting him.

When a neighboring passenger told Bell that the scorpion was potentially dangerous, he dropped it on his plate. But when he picked it back up again, the scorpion stung him on the hand

WHY TRY TO PICK IT BACK UP?!

GET OFF OF HERE
tumblr_o1c0z0e0271r7sijxo1_500.gif

Bluenoser

I'll take security bouncing my head off an armrest and dragging me away, thank you very much. Fuck anything with 8 legs.

_Nemo

Holy shit I would've probably had a panic attack and fainted from the shock. But this guy actually voluntarily picks it up. Jesus. Wonder how big it was.

I can see their "We've changed!" commercial now

"Here at United we are committed to offering the best flight experience possible. We are proud to say that our planes are now scorpion free and we not longer beat the living fuck out of passengers when we oversell a flight!..."

Think of where the trays are. And while some scorpions are kind of plodding, the smaller ones can skitter pretty damn quick.

So do you want that jumping off the food tray into your lap? DO YOU?

I actually give him a lot of credit for that. I would half flipped the whole fucking tray over and started trying to climb to the roof or something. So then there would be people covered with food with an unknown scorpion problem now stinging other people.

rjinaz

Must have been a big one or one of the less venemous ones. The smaller the worst.

I got stung by a little brown one, possibly a bark scorpion, about 3 weeks ago on one of my toes. That hurt like hell. Started like a bee sting, then the pain got worse and lasted 5-6 hours, then the numbness started. When I woke up the next day it felt like half my leg was in a cast, with no feelings. 28 hours later though I was back to normal without lasting damage.

Fuck'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom