• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
aparisi2274 said:
Picked up the blu ray the other night and printed out the custom insert for it. I think it came out really good.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/5173552375_b64396e354_z.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/5173553177_af2edfe037_z.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
This is so freaking awesome, kudos.

There was no code for the digital copy in my blu ray like there where in my previous experiences. Should I be worried or will it know when I put in the DVD in iTunes?

Dead

well not really...yet
Gamer @ Heart said:
There was no code for the digital copy in my blu ray like there where in my previous experiences. Should I be worried or will it know when I put in the DVD in iTunes?
There should be a paper with the code on it, mine came with one.

Carnby

aparisi2274 said:
Picked up the blu ray the other night and printed out the custom insert for it. I think it came out really good.

5173552375_b64396e354_z.jpg

5173553177_af2edfe037_z.jpg

you should have made the official cover. that is fantastic!

eLGee

ezekial45 said:
After seeing both, i still prefer the theatrical ending. To be honest, it just seems to rap things up better. Wright said it best in the commentary track about how some people felt cheated with the Knives ending. Also,
i thought that them playing NNR again in slow motion was a little lame.
:lol

I agree. Scott ending up with
Knives didn't sit well with me neither. The point of Scott dumping her was that she was a phase, as his friends pointed out. Sure, she evolves through the movie and ends up a different person at the end, but the way it ended in that scene, doing the NNR game again, made it feel like Scott hadn't progressed as a character at all.

That's how I feel anyway.

impirius

Listening to the audio commentaries, I just heard Edgar Wright correctly peg the Patel "KO" sound as being from Street Fighter Alpha 3 specifically. Nice to know someone else appreciates that announcer. :lol

Chairhome

impirius said:
Listening to the audio commentaries, I just heard Edgar Wright correctly peg the Patel "KO" sound as being from Street Fighter Alpha 3 specifically. Nice to know someone else appreciates that announcer. :lol
Seeing as he probably picked every piece of video game music/effect, I don't see why he would get that wrong!

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Edgar doesn't just take filmmaking seriously for the sake of taking filmmaking seriously, he's a huge movie nerd so his attention to detail is also that of a fan of film. The amount of things he manages to pack into a single shot, it's quite admirable.

Mr. Sam

Cool cover art. I was hoping someone would do it in the Master System style but I suppose this is just as good. I'll print it out and put it in my Blu-ray case when I get it.

I fear I'm going to have to give in and import this from the US. December 27th? Pfft! I have a friend who I know would like it for his birthday but, unfortunately, he doesn't have a Blu-ray player. I'll have to get it for myself. Still, £26.99 is about £12 more than I'll normally spend on new Blu-rays.

impirius said:

I like that Bill Hader did those too.

:D

ezekial45

Banned
Just one minor quibble.

In the movie, is Stacey his younger or older sister? In her character bar, it says she's his younger sister. Than later on, she refers to him as her younger brother.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
ezekial45 said:
Just one minor quibble.

In the movie, is Stacey his younger or older sister? In her character bar, it says she's his younger sister. Than later on, she refers to him as her younger brother.
She's the younger sister, but refers to Scott as the younger brother since he's the less mature one. I believe the reference happens more than once in the comics, so it's easier to pick up there.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
impirius said:
It's too bad we couldn't have had the announcer from Cap vs. SNK 2.

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Medalion

Banned
I think I have a theory about this but I wanted to ask for the movie's sake...

Why did Scott get an email from Matthew Patel about dueling with him even before Ramona and Scott were dating... at that point he had just concocted the dumb idea of ordering from Amazon to get her to show up to deliver something. I know it's a comic book and a movie, but still...what made him think she was the only delivery person working at Amazon.ca if he ordered something it would be her, and only her that delivered it?

Matt_C

Medalion said:
I think I have a theory about this but I wanted to ask for the movie's sake...

Why did Scott get an email from Matthew Patel about dueling with him even before Ramona and Scott were dating... at that point he had just concocted the dumb idea of ordering from Amazon to get her to show up to deliver something. I know it's a comic book and a movie, but still...what made him think she was the only delivery person working at Amazon.ca if he ordered something it would be her, and only her that delivered it?
If you can deliver through
subspace
you might as well be the only delivery person in town.
Gideon used Ramona to monitor Scott in the movie.

Medalion

Banned
So in the movie... Scott daydreams about Ramona before they even meet... Is this subspace realm... Dreamworld or something?

Was that really Ramona talking to Scott when he lost a life and ended up in that weird dream desert?

Medalion said:
So in the movie... Scott daydreams about Ramona before they even meet... Is this subspace realm... Dreamworld or something?

Was that really Ramona talking to Scott when he lost a life and ended up in that weird dream desert?

Subspace/Hyperspace would be a typical science-fictiony parallel universe that allows for quick travel...in Scott Pilgrim it's a technology that's readily available in the US but not in Canada (like all the latest tech and gadgets...). There just happens to be a useful subspace highway Ramona uses for her routes that runs right through Scott's head, which is why she appears in his dreams.

Erebus

Medalion said:
I just finished the bluray

That has to be the most thoroughly geekishly entertaining movies i have seen in ages

I feel bad for missing out

Awesome movie, I really really enjoyed it. And to think that if it weren't for GAF I wouldn't have seen it tbh.

I'm almost done with the special features. I don't know when I'll watch all the commentaries, though. I watched one of the ones with a few cast members, and I intend to watch it with Edgar Wright's commentary very soon. It was a bit hard to watch the movie with commentary because I was so tempted to turn it off and just watch the movie normally.

I love it so much.

Medalion

Banned
Am I the only one that feels the Ramona/Scott relationship was rushed in the movie?

I could see Scott having the hots for her, but Ramona showed no interest in him and he practically begged her over and over till she agreed to go out, and their conversation wasn't that interesting and then she takes him through the Subspace door to her place, and make out and cuddle in bed... it's all so romantic, but like uh...wut? No wonder she has so many exes, she impulsively takes on partners so easily

Medalion said:
Am I the only one that feels the Ramona/Scott relationship was rushed in the movie?

I could see Scott having the hots for her, but Ramona showed no interest in him and he practically begged her over and over till she agreed to go out, and their conversation wasn't that interesting and then she takes him through the Subspace door to her place, and make out and cuddle in bed... it's all so romantic, but like uh...wut? No wonder she has so many exes, she impulsively takes on partners so easily

I think it would have been hard to develop on that with 6 volumes worth of character development in 112 minutes. The movie was more of a focus on the fights with the exes.

Medalion said:

Well, she did say that she wanted something simple.

MNC

Medalion said:

Which is why, for the movie, the alternate ending is the best.

MNC said:
Which is why, for the movie, the alternate ending is the best.

Kind of...

I think it would be unrealistic for knives just to take scott back again after learning that he cheated on her and all that avoidance.

In the alt ending i felt like it looked really awkward when he says bye to ramona then knives falls into his arms like nothing ever happened

The alternate ending is a bit depressing for me. I actually really liked Ramona, especially in the movie, so seeing her walk away through the subspace door alone was really sad.

narcosis219 said:
Kind of...

I think it would be unrealistic for knives just to take scott back again after learning that he cheated on her and all that avoidance.

In the alt ending i felt like it looked really awkward when he says bye to ramona then knives falls into his arms like nothing ever happened

Yeah, that too....

Medalion said:
The other alternate ending not made was Scott ending up alone... which I think woulda been more appropriate.
Perhaps, but it's not like Ramona is a bastion of good. She jerks Scott around a bit too, never mind some of her exes.
(Moviewise) I look on it more than she does like Scott, but because she has had such a difficult past with relationships, she has difficulty fully expressing it/committing to it, allowing herself to put herself forward, vunerable to him hurting her.

Medalion said:
The other alternate ending not made was Scott ending up alone... which I think woulda been more appropriate.

I was just talking about how this would have been the totally appropriate ending, given the change in theme -
since rather than gaining the power of understanding, he gains the power of self-respect; it only makes sense that he'd choose to be alone by realizing he doesn't need to be with someone and just has to learn to appreciate himself.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
A Link to the Snitch said:
I was just talking about how this would have been the totally appropriate ending, given the change in theme -
since rather than gaining the power of understanding, he gains the power of self-respect; it only makes sense that he'd choose to be alone by realizing he doesn't need to be with someone and just has to learn to appreciate himself.
It could just be simpler than that - he simply would understand he's not ready to get into a serious relationship yet since it's obvious he's had some issues since Envy, so he purposely chooses to go alone for a little while.

Not only would this feel more appropriate, but it opens things up a lot easier for any sort of sequel segue. It wouldn't follow the books anymore after this of course, but it at least makes it easier to use some of the unused story bits out of context.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Medalion said:

this should have been made, imo

neither of those girls were right for Scott

A Link to the Snitch said:

You can't be in a real relationship with someone if you don't appreciate and respect yourself first. Nobody really needs to be w/ someone, but he wanted to be w/ someone.

The extended park scene made that first date of theirs flow way better and have a lot more impact. I feel like just one or two more scenes like that could have given Ramona's side of the relationship a lot more weight. If not, they really should have gone with a similar pacing of the books, perhaps stuck a "a few weeks/months later" transition in at some point. Scott and Ramona are supposed to get through all this together over the course of a year, not a couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom