• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Rohde on Amy Hennig's Departure [Up: Naughty Dog responds]

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
That would be disheartening. And contrary to everything I've heard about her in the press. Hmm.
It's interesting how reputations develop, she's been called things like 'the female Carmack' for years and years, I remember thinking it was strange so many people made a big deal about her going to the Halo team, considering she'd been at Gearbox, and they've never made a technically impressive game at all, and they didn't develop their own engine. Her adulation always seemed unwarranted, but Halo 4 was by far the most impressive game to run on the 360.

Maybe she is incompetent, but she's gained her reputation somehow, and Halo 4 certainly delivered.

Ezran

Neo Member
That would be disheartening. And contrary to everything I've heard about her in the press. Hmm.

Let's just say that she's been riding a false reputation for a long time, and it's largely fueled by the internet's fascination with a "super-smart and hot rocket scientest game developer". Did you know she worked at NASA? Give me a break. Talk with anyone who's worked closely with her and you will hear horror stories of just what a terrible developer she is. She was able to work at MS for so long because she's married to a very competent art director who was on the same team, and I can only assume that they didn't want to lose him. Well guess what? She got fired, he left a few months later, and now here we are picking up the pieces.

Read the Microsoft statement here: http://www.ign.com/wikis/halo-5-xbox-one/Halo_5_Rumors_and_Leaks

“While we consider Corrinne Yu a part of our founding family and can’t wait to see where her talent takes her in her new role, we wanted to clarify a repeated misconception, most recently on an IGN podcast. Corrinne worked on a branch of our tools team and did not in fact work on either the Halo 4 or Halo 5 engine or graphics at all. Our current tools team will surely miss her enviable intellect, but we felt it fair to both her and 343 Industries to ensure that the nature of her contributions was not being misrepresented.”

She didn't do anything on Halo 4, but that's basically all they worked on for 3 years. WTF? That doesn't really match up with what she claims to have done. I have a feeling we were duped.

Cipherr

Let's just say that she's been riding a false reputation for a long time, and it's largely fueled by the internet's fascination with a "super-smart and hot rocket scientest game developer". Did you know she worked at NASA? Give me a break. Talk with anyone who's worked closely with her and you will hear horror stories of just what a terrible developer she is. She was able to work at MS for so long because she's married to a very competent art director who was on the same team, and I can only assume that they didn't want to lose him. Well guess what? She got fired, he left a few months later, and now here we are picking up the pieces.

Read the Microsoft statement here: http://www.ign.com/wikis/halo-5-xbox-one/Halo_5_Rumors_and_Leaks

“While we consider Corrinne Yu a part of our founding family and can’t wait to see where her talent takes her in her new role, we wanted to clarify a repeated misconception, most recently on an IGN podcast. Corrinne worked on a branch of our tools team and did not in fact work on either the Halo 4 or Halo 5 engine or graphics at all. Our current tools team will surely miss her enviable intellect, but we felt it fair to both her and 343 Industries to ensure that the nature of her contributions was not being misrepresented.”

She didn't do anything on Halo 4, but that's basically all they worked on for 3 years. WTF? That doesn't really match up with what she claims to have done. I have a feeling we were duped.

Man, the entire evangelizing of one person neeeeeeeeever works out. It either turns out to be super bloated and inaccurate or it just gets downright creepy like with Jade Raymond.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

Wow if true.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood

Yeah that all might be true... but how do you know she is going to get fired at Naughty Dog? You just can't make that assumption soley based on how you think she performed at MS, no?

Alienous

Just isn't your year, is it Justin?

But, in all seriousness, I'm taking you as legit until you're banned.

Fezan

tell us about Amy Henning? Also do you have any idea about what happned at SSM

Also paging mods to authenticate this guy

StuBurns

Banned
I don't believe the Halo thing, 343 tried to pretend Ryan Payton wasn't the Narrative Director when he left, presumably because they don't want it to appear that they lose key staff.

Makes sense Microsoft fired her so Naughty Dog hires her? Perfect logic. We would have known by now if Yu really had a false reputation.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I hope this is not viewed as thread whining, because I really am not, but with so many people in here saying "this is none of our business", which is basically "we can't talk about it", maybe it would be more prudent to just lock this thread since "discussion" is clearly something that is out of the picture.

I've got the feeling that all we do right now in here is just talking in circles anyways.

She worked on creating the tech for the lighting (which MS apparently applied a patent for) and facial animations. Which were actually the two areas about H4 that frequently received high praise from people.

So you're purely extrapolating.

d00d3n

Seems believable enough, but needs mod confirmation of insider status asap.

Corto

Makes sense Microsoft fired her so Naughty Dog hires her? Perfect logic. We would have known by now if Yu really had a false reputation.

And hiring processes at any big company are in place to ensure that employees have adequate capabilities to the position.

Well OK then, random guy on an Internet forum, we'll take your word for it!

...Or not. What are you even claiming here? That you work at Naughty Dog? Or is this pure speculation?

He is not an insider, he never claimed so. I don't get why people are jumping to conclusions over what appears to be merely his speculation/assumption.

He is not an insider, he never claimed so. I don't get why people are jumping to conclusions over what appears to be merely his speculation/assumption.

Well, going around making claims like Corrinne is about to be fired because she's incompetent, and that he's had a hard to keeping his mouth shut about it over the past few months, certainly does make it sound like he's acting like an insider.

Loudninja

Corrinne Yu is about to be fired from Naugty Dog for complete and utter incompetence.
Yeah, let's just say that I've had a difficult time not saying something over the past few months. Enjoy the show.

Not sure how else to take this?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Man, the entire evangelizing of one person neeeeeeeeever works out. It either turns out to be super bloated and inaccurate or it just gets downright creepy like with Jade Raymond.

Yeah, I'm glad that the internet obsession with her ended before it became too creepy.

You sound like you are completely guessing.

Ezran

Neo Member
She worked on creating the tech for the lighting (which MS apparently applied a patent for) and facial animations. Which were actually the two areas about H4 that frequently received high praise from people.

She certainly took credit for those things. Ask the people who actually did those things and you will get a different answer.

LoL

Going off topic here, but don't be naive. Hiring mistakes happens all the time.

Ignoring the rest of this story, but yeah. George O'Leary was going to be coach of Notre Dame before it was found out he'd falsified his coaching past. There have been several stories of CEO's or high ranking executives at Fortune 500 companies getting turfed out because it turned out they bullshitted their college backgrounds, and nobody ever checked on it as they rose up the ranks of Corporate America.

What are you talking about?

He said this:

There is no other logical conclusion to arrive at.

Well, going around making claims like Corrinne is about to be fired because she's incompetent, and that he's had a hard to keeping his mouth shut about it over the past few months, certainly does make it sound like he's acting like an insider.

Not sure how else to take this?
Who knows, he might be talking about Yu's reputation(as he claims was extrapolated) instead of being someone, who has a hard time coping up with the departure of Amy and current state of affairs at Naughty Dog.

In any case, the mods can verify this, i suppose.

TheCloser

Banned
She certainly took credit for those things. Ask the people who actually did those things and you will get a different answer.
Hmm, another insider appears? Will he survive or will he be bishified? Find out on tomorrow's episode of truth or tales from my ass.

Can't find that Microsoft quote anywhere more reliable than the IGN wiki.

Just some cigarette site that doesn't load and a blog: http://theofficiallytne.blogspot.com/

Yep, i've searched through actual IGN articles and I can't find that quote anywhere except for that wiki page. And what's interesting about that page is that they have links to IGN's story about her leaving as well as about some F2P games in the same section, but no links to where that actual statement came from. And MS has never officially named what the next HALO will be called, so why would they release some random statement about someone that left their studio and include HALO 5 in it?

Imagine if(very fuckong big if) this is indeed true, and we didn't have someone stating this? We'd be having people running to the hills that Sony has lost yet another talented person and the world was ending.
Still, better to wait for confirmation.

This quote doesn't show up ANYWHERE with the source as Microsoft.

Try again.

RulkezX

And hiring processes at any big company are in place to ensure that employees have adequate capabilities to the position.

No no no.

ND have no links in the industry ( so hadn't heard the horror stories) and hired her because the internet liked the pretty rocket scientist games developer !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom