• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scrapple: The Other Grey Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Raw"
0017796F1_Scrapple_s4x3_lg.jpg

"Prepared"
2119070503_478ae3fdec.jpg

Lately, I have taken a liking to scrapple, a mush created from finely minced pork scraps from Pennsylvania dutch country. However, that is a rather vague description. I set out to discover what ACTUALLY is in this stuff.

Scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, eyes, heart, liver, bladder, and other scraps, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned, and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, and others, are added. The mush is cast into loaves, and allowed to cool thoroughly until gelled. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook's taste.

It sounds gross, I admit. When prepared correctly, the outside is cooked until it is chewey and a little crispy, while the inside maintains it's mushy consistency. The mistake most people make is they try to flip it over too soon, causing it to look like this. You have to wait for a long time before you flip it.

Here is a video of a guy with a really strange accent making scrapple from scratch. A must see for bizarre food fans.

The flavor is difficult to explain. It really doesn't taste like anything else out there. That is the danger for many first-time scrapple eaters. You will be eating a lot of parts of the pig that you have never eaten before, and if you concentrate on that mystery flavor, it can turn you off to it really fast. I admit, when I first ate it about 5 years ago, I tasted it and got a little sick.

Is it bad for you? Compare it to Sausage and bacon, and it's practically a health food. You can get full eating it without taking in more than 120 Calories. I'm actually on a bit of a diet (trying to get down to 160), and because it's so rich and filling, it can fit in pretty well from time to time. The reason it's not an everyday food has more to do with the strong flavor that can easily turn against you if you overdo it. Many people like to offset the flavor with Apple Butter (Cooked-down apple sauce) or Ketchup. I like both, but have a preference usually for ketchup.

As far as availability is concerned, I don't know if you can find it outside the eastern US. I live in Northern Kentucky (Across the river from Ohio) and we can find it, but it's not well known or widely available as far as I know.

In America, we don't eat a lot of unusual things, so I kinda like having something like this for a change. I get to know what it tastes like to be a zombie pig. Starsssssss. I'd be interested to see what other interesting food is out there in your neck of the woods.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
thread title a Big Ben joke?

vas_a_morir said:
Have you heard of a Scrapple sandwich? Now, that sounds disgusting.

how about a "double down" style scrapple sandwich?

gcubed

vas_a_morir said:
If you toasted the bread, I guess. I just imagine it mushing out.

Yeah, pretty much. Waste not.

you toast the outside of the scrapple a bit more to give more of a crust so it doesnt mush out.

Scrapple Fest offerings a few years ago in Philly area

Mezze : breakfast pizza with steak, eggs and scrapple
By George : Scrapple, sausage, peppers, onions on seeded bread sandwich
Cookbook Stall : Scrapple Bread Pudding
Foster’s : Foster’s Scrapple Nouveau
DiNic’s : Pulled pork scrapple sandwich
Dutch Eating Place : Scrapple Western Omelet
Carmen’s : Scrapple Hoagie with provolone cheese and roasted red peppers
Fisher’s Pretzels : Scrapple Pretzel Roll
Down Home Diner : Scrapple Sashimi
Harry G. Ochs & Son : Scrapple burger with fries

Alucrid

Banned
gcubed said:
you toast the outside of the scrapple a bit more to give more of a crust so it doesnt mush out.

Scrapple Fest offerings a few years ago in Philly area

Mezze : breakfast pizza with steak, eggs and scrapple
By George : Scrapple, sausage, peppers, onions on seeded bread sandwich
Cookbook Stall : Scrapple Bread Pudding
Foster’s : Foster’s Scrapple Nouveau
DiNic’s : Pulled pork scrapple sandwich
Dutch Eating Place : Scrapple Western Omelet
Carmen’s : Scrapple Hoagie with provolone cheese and roasted red peppers
Fisher’s Pretzels : Scrapple Pretzel Roll
Down Home Diner : Scrapple Sashimi
Harry G. Ochs & Son : Scrapple burger with fries

...bread...pudding? vomit-

Steelrain

Alucrid said:
We'll burn your house down.

We also gave you shoo fly pie, Philly Cheesesteaks, etc. etc.

Ok I guess this gets a pass then. I love cheesesteaks and have only heard good things about shoo fly pie.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I loves me some shitty food, but this sounds wholly unappealing. Lived in the midwest my whole life and never heard of this stuff.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I would definitely check it out, never even heard of it though (best coast here).

Also offal was one of dicitonary.com's words of the day last week and I've already seen it twice.

Alucrid

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
Some of you need to go to the more upscale Waffle Houses and try out scrapple. You might be pleasantly surprised!

...upscale waffle house? The most upscale breakfast place I can think of is uncle bills pancake house in NJ.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Love Scrapple.

Favorite breakfast including it is:

Hash Browns (or any variation of fried potatoes), Scrapple, Grits, and an over-easy egg on top of the grits.

Talk about heavenly... :)

I was in Philly for a weekend a little over a year ago, staying across the street from the Reading Terminal Market, which is full of Amish people serving food.

I did the following:

1. Discovered that scrapple existed, asked the Amish man about it
2. Was told "Oh yeah, it's good for you, it makes you strong"
3. Ordered a big plate of it with eggs and toast
4. Read on my phone (before tasting it) that it was made of guts, butts, hearts and eyeballs
5. Ate it anyway; was shocked at how goddamned good it was
6. Had it for breakfast the rest of the time I was there

guldakot

Interesting. Sounds like an unholy combination of cornbread and headcheese lol. Wonder if I can find this in Michigan.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
FUUUUUUUUUU-

My Grandfather would make this stuff when we went camping. Absolutely terrible.

We're also Pennsylvania Dutch.

Sweedishrodeo said:
I am from Delaware, scrapple capital of the world. Scrapple is in our blood.

http://www.applescrapple.com/

Apple Scrapple Festival is the highlight of my year, ever year. I'd love to do a Neogaf meet-up next time.

Yay another Delawarean! I love Scrapple, though I can see why people don't. You have to cut it into thin slices, not those big "1/4 of the loaf" slices that colleges or restaurants use.

And it's sad that Apple Scrapple is one of the biggest things we have to look forward to in Delaware, lol.

Duane Cunningham said:
I was in Philly for a weekend a little over a year ago, staying across the street from the Reading Terminal Market, which is full of Amish people serving food.

I did the following:

1. Discovered that scrapple existed, asked the Amish man about it
2. Was told "Oh yeah, it's good for you, it makes you strong"
3. Ordered a big plate of it with eggs and toast
4. Read on my phone (before tasting it) that it was made of guts, butts, hearts and eyeballs
5. Ate it anyway; was shocked at how goddamned good it was
6. Had it for breakfast the rest of the time I was there

Did you get it at Dutch Eating Place?

gcubeds list was almost entirely Reading Terminal Market as well.

Alucrid said:
We'll burn your house down.

We also gave you shoo fly pie, Philly Cheesesteaks, etc. etc.

You forgot the soft pretzel, and the "Philly Taco". And yes, the Philly Taco is as badass as it sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom