• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ScreenJunkies' Andy Signore Accused of Sexual Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much like the other poster, you're essentially claiming that all responses posted in this thread can be legitimately reduced to a binary state: either siding with Formerly Employed At Sceenjunkies Creeper, or siding with the accused, and that any posts failing to unequivocally condemn the former and unequivocally believe and support the latter -- at any stage of the story -- fall under siding with Formerly Employed At Screenjunkies Creeper, undermine the voices of victims, harm society, and are morally reprehensible.

Based on this argument there should just be one official righteous response auto-posted by a bot and then the thread should be locked. Why have a discussion thread? Why have a message board?

No.

Not saying everyone had that reaction, but some defintiely. Example quoted below.

What? Excuse me? Guys, Cat Party sexually assaulted me. Get them please.

I don't want to live in a world where innocent people can be convicted of crimes with no proof. Yes sometimes bad people will get away with bad things but the alternative is far scarier.

No one is calling for immediate witch hunts or firing. We're simply acknowledging the accusation and taking it seriously as opposed "coming back later" when there's more proof. This is when we turn to the accused and also an investigation takes place. An opinion on a forum with no connection to the accused shouldn't be equated to convicting a potentially innocent person.

A thread on NEOGAF is not a courtroom. Why are people talking about the burden of proof under our legal system? No one is talking about that, so let's not create these strawmen to distract from the discussion at hand.

There is, literally, NO ONE who is saying that a person should be convicted of a crime without proof

Yeah, but there are enough people asking for everyone to voice faith in the accusation as soon as it appears.
To me, that is synonymous with condemnation, and if I were in a position of power, with conviction.

People said that believing was "morally correct". I should have the right to not condemn before giving anyone besides the person making the claim a chance to speak.

sirap

What? Excuse me? Guys, Cat Party sexually assaulted me. Get them please.

I don't want to live in a world where innocent people can be convicted of crimes with no proof. Yes sometimes bad people will get away with bad things but the alternative is far scarier.

This is especially scary for minorities or poc. Most of the time we don't even get the luxury of due process.

People are arguing - with a straight face - that assumed guilt should be the default state or there's something wrong with your morals. That shit is absurd. Taking issue with that is distinctly not the same as trying to paint the accuser as a liar.

The practical judgments we live by are not the U.S. criminal justice system. if my friend says their boss is an asshole, I don't respond with "Do you have any documented evidence of them being an asshole? I can't take your claims seriously until I hear a statement from the accused." We act in a way far more like the U.S. civil justice system, where preponderance of evidence is the standard.

People lunging to act like these sexual harassment claims need to get beyond a reasonable doubt to be taken seriously are not acting neutral or impartial. They are acting like defense lawyers.

Steejee

The practical judgments we live by are not the U.S. criminal justice system. if my friend says their boss is an asshole, I don't respond with "Do you have any documented evidence of them being an asshole? I can't take your claims seriously until I hear a statement from the accused." We act in a way far more like the U.S. civil justice system, where preponderance of evidence is the standard.

People lunging to act like these sexual harassment claims need to get beyond a reasonable doubt to be taken seriously are not acting neutral or impartial. They are acting like defense lawyers.

In the real world version, OJ was innocent in a criminal case, guilty in a civil case.

This is the exact kind of thinking that makes it so fucking hard for women to come forward with these things though.

When we value "vague pragmatism" (whatever the fuck that means) over "believing women", when we equate "believing women" with "witch hunts", when we consider a man's reputation more important than a woman's safety; that's when we become complicit in the toxic boy's club that "nerd culture" has become.
I think Inferno got banned for three months for that post btw

I'm surprised Junkies suspended him, I wonder how this situation ends
Really? Wow.
No one said anything about toxic masculinity
All banned.

This is bullshit.

Paganmoon

People are arguing - with a straight face - that assumed guilt should be the default state or there's something wrong with your morals. That shit is absurd. Taking issue with that is distinctly not the same as trying to paint the accuser as a liar.

assumed innocence in cases like this also assumes the accuser is lying, which is, as has been pointed out, or as people have been trying to point out, a big issue.

HariKari

One accusation with no evidence beyond a personal statement wouldn't fly in civil court either. The more appropriate analogy would be a coworker (wrongly) accusing you of harassment with nothing more than a personal statement. What then? Are the people around you supposed to presume you are guilty less they be labeled as toxic or protectors of the established norms?

assumed innocence in cases like this also assumes the accuser is lying, which is, as has been pointed out, or as people have been trying to point out, a big issue.

It is not assumed innocence, just as it isn't assumed guilt. It's the total absence of any judgment. It is literally "wait and see."

Dynasty

And if screen caps are not available? Does that mean they made it up?

If they have no proof it means they have nothing to support there claims. This doesnt meant they made it up just that we cant come to a conclusion on what has happened. This unfortunately can result in someone who was sexually harrassed be left with no justice.

ItIsOkBro

i don't know why we're getting caught up in guilty or innocent

when someone tells me they were sexually harassed, my default state is to say 'i believe you.' of course, you can infer from that that i think they guy is guilty...that's not what i'm trying to convey though.

Based on this argument there should just be one official righteous response auto-posted by a bot and then the thread should be locked. Why have a discussion thread? Why have a message board?

No.
I don’t think that’s really a fair way to look at it. We can condemn something while still discussing aspects of it. We have a very long thread about the Las Vegas shooting and it’s not because people are discussing whether or not the shooter actually did it, or whether he was right or wrong. They are discussing aspects around the event, implications to our society, and what we can do about it going forward. We don’t need a back-and-forth about what constitutes proof in threads about sexual assault accusations in order to have a healthy discussion.

I’m not advocating that the forum or its mods and admins take an official stance on this and quash all discussion about “where’s the proof?” Sure, it would be my preference, but things will be how they will be. My personal stance will continue to be believing women.

The state of saying nothing is not assuming innocence nor assuming guilt. I’ve seen too many lives destroyed because of both. Sometimes it’s okay to chill out and wait.

assumed innocence in cases like this also assumes the accuser is lying, which is, as has been pointed out, or has been tried to get pointed out, a big issue.

No. It just doesn't.
Saying "hey, nobody else has said anything about this yet, not the accused, not anyone else, I'd like to wait until I call him human refuse because this is the internet and I know more information will appear" doesn't mean I assume the victim is lying.

when someone tells me they were sexually harassed, my default state is to say 'i believe you.' of course, you can infer from that that i think they guy is guilty...that's not what i'm trying to convey though.

Phrased like this, I 100% agree. But in a place like this, where we discuss things, saying "I believe her" rings differently. You are not telling the victim, you are telling others discussing the situation, which then implies the accused person's guilt, wouldn't you say?

voOsh

Before we get it twisted, this is important. You can both sympathize with a victim and stay impartial until the facts are known. Just try to be cool to everyone, except for the proven shitheads.

One accusation with no evidence beyond a personal statement wouldn't fly in civil court either. The more appropriate analogy would be a coworker (wrongly) accusing you of harassment with nothing more than a personal statement. What then? Are the people around you supposed to presume you are guilty less they be labeled as toxic or protectors of the established norms?

No, the analogy I used was appropriate, because the point is that almost no other issue is perceived this way. if you don't have any investment in defending someone (your friend's boss), you tend to believe what people say about them. If you are invested (your friend), you will require lots of voices in agreement, or evidence, before you believe anything negative.

Which sounds more like the way people act about sexual harassment allegations?

Paganmoon

The state of saying nothing is not assuming innocence nor assuming guilt. I’ve seen too many lives destroyed because of both. Sometimes it’s okay to chill out and wait.

saying nothing, and saying "there isn't any/enough evidence" as many did early is not the same thing. "saying nothing" is not posting. One could argue though, that saying nothing in such a situation is also wrong. People that have been victims of harassment need support firstly. And as someone else pointed out, we're not jury, and we have no power to fire someone. Saying "I believe you" to someone doesn't cost a thing.

HariKari

Because a thread managed to morph into how a situation like this should be framed on a discussion board. Presuming guilt and then questioning anyone that doesn't follow in immediate lockstep is the opposite of discussion.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
There are three possible states:
- Not enough evidence to go either way. Come back later.
- A lack of evidence, innocence presumed
- Plenty of evidence, guilt presumed

Jumping automatically to guilty in the absence of evidence makes you look like a reactive moron. When did we lose the ability to understand that? How would you personally want to be treated in a situation where there is an accusation (of any sort) leveled against you?
Taking an accusation and immediately calling for the guy's head is indeed jumping to conclusions, but taking the accusation seriously and saying that it needs to be investigated immediately is not. The crime is of course serious if true, but the accusation itself should be taken seriously as well. And in this case, the person making the accusation comes with a testimony of her experience as well, which should itself be considered evidence.

The accusation itself is a call to find evidence. It's a call for other possible victims to come forward if there are other victims, and a call for other parties who may have more resources than the victim alone to help investigate the allegation. Taking the accusation seriously and wanting people to follow up on the call to investigate is not jumping to conclusions.

I get what you're saying. The justice system goes "innocent until proven guilty", so the accused should be considered innocent until evidence is found. But because it's hard for sexual harassment victims to come forward in the first place, it's important to avoid looking like the first reaction to any such accusation is to doubt the accuser, even if the underlying intention is to remain neutral.

Kaiterra

Banned
The bans to members like Inferno and Bronson, who are both valuable and level headed members of the community, are very sad. I have stand by Inferno on this topic, that 'waiting for facts/proof' is not a good approach on this topic since many many many times that stuff never materializes but the women continue to suffer all the same, before being forgotten.

I might be banned for this too but I won't stay silent. I think the loss of those members is a huge loss for the community and I also think the "no witch hunts" poster being hung up on the wall here is in very poor taste

I have certainly seen discussions occur in topics like this without having to resort to questioning the validity of the victim's claim.

All banned.

This is bullshit.

Yeah for real dude. How is this kind of enforcement actually productive? You're saying it's in favor of a debate but you're kind of tipping the scales specifically against one perspective you seem to disagree with here which would conflict with that. Maybe it's time to step back and reassess.

ExVicis

I can still say to that person "I'm sorry *blank* was an asshole to you" but I'm not about to go on facebook, twitter or whenever and start demanding they fess up for being an asshole while telling everyone I know to not ever associate with that person because of that.

voOsh

No, the analogy I used was appropriate, because the point is that almost no other issue is perceived this way. if you don't have any investment in defending someone (your friend's boss), you tend to believe what people say about them. If you are invested (your friend), you will require lots of voices in agreement, or evidence, before you believe anything negative.

A boss being an asshole isn't illegal. Sexual harassment is. You can't compare the two things. There is less at stake when you empathize with your friend over their shitty boss than there is to condemn someone to the penalty of a crime without evidence.

saying nothing, and saying "there isn't any/enough evidence" as many did early is not the same thing. "saying nothing" is not posting. One could argue though, that saying nothing in such a situation is also wrong. People that have been victims of harassment need support firstly. And as someone else pointed out, we're not jury, and we have no power to fire someone. Saying "I believe you" to someone doesn't cost a thing.
👍🏼

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I can still say to that person "I'm sorry *blank* was an asshole to you" but I'm not about to go on facebook, twitter or whenever and start demanding they fess up for being an asshole while telling everyone I know to not ever associate with that person because of that.

Are those the only options to you? Ignore until more proof, or believe wholeheartedly and shout from the Twitter rooftops? Seriously?

Fliesen

signed.

ExVicis

Can someone explain what's happening with the bans? I feel a bit out of the loop

Back-seat moderating is a bannable offense and a lot of people are gathering on this hill because they're friends I guess.

Are those the only options to you? Ignore until more proof, or believe wholeheartedly and shout from the Twitter rooftops? Seriously?
On the friend situation that got thrown out randomly as an analogy? Yes it is. Seriously.

If you're trying to relate it back to this you're going to need to make a lot of changes to the previous analogy about two friends talking about someone else being an asshole. For instance you're going to need to account for this isn't someone I know and is a statement about another person I know about a situation I have absolutely no insight or knowledge about whatsoever. For anyone to make any judgement besides "I need more information" in a situation like it was initially is disgustingly irresponsible while also admits that they have a conceit about themselves that implies they think they have the answer to every possible situation regardless of if they know anything about it all or not.

Saying it to a victim, yes. That would be the right thing to do.
But the person isn't here. We're like people sitting at a table, discussing the news.
Don't you see that saying "I believe her" has vastly different connotations in this space?
It implies that you see guilt.

But assuming guilt and immediately turning on the accuser can also be wrong, Personally in this case I really didn’t form an opinion until more evidence and accusers poured in, but I wasn’t going to join an internet lynch mob if I had literally no idea one way or the other. If a victim of sexual assault came to me of course I’d believe them and do everything I could, but this isn’t one of those cases, it’s two people miles away that I’ll never meet.

Sibylus

Banned
Skeevy, but that kinda goes without saying. Glad that his bridges are burning around him and that other folks know to be wary around him. He's a common sort, sadly, and many operate in complete impunity for a long time like this.

All banned.

This is bullshit.

For ostensibly taking the encouragement of discussion as a guiding principle for the website, no thought seems to have been spared for the chilling effect that moderation on the basis of personal upset will have. Inevitable consequence. Moderation that doesn't fly off the handle and hand out "fuck you" bans isn't a lot to ask.

I'm less shocked by the bans so much as EvilLore telling Inferno to "Fuck off, Dipshit".

Like, seriously?
lol I just got off a ban today for the same thing.

This week has been a hell of a mess with controversy all over. I've never watched any of the content made by this individual, but damn if those DMs aren't sketchy AF. Why can't peeps get power and not abuse it immediately by disrespecting others? Especially with sexual harassment.
It's a shame.

Dynasty

👍🏼

Difference between believing her and then believing her and acting on it, which is what some people in the first page did. They believed her straightaway(which is fine since sexual harrassment is so common in the film industry) but then immedietly went and called out Andy, keep in mind at this time no other person had come out yet.

I don't think a neutral stance out the gate is wrong, but I don't think it's a stance you can take for long. Either you're going to end up forgetting about the accusations or you'll condemn the accused based on your feelings and whatever scraps of info is out there. The problem with the "wait for more evidence" stuff is that there won't always be the army of women you can point at and say "hey, strength in numbers!", or the deadly screenshot with the accused revealing his dastardly ways. "Hey, I'm not picking a side yet" turns into "No updates? Oh well" pretty quickly, and we'll move on and check the accused out in more videos and movies while victim-whats-their-face fades into obscurity. Might as well be okay with the idea of imperfect judgement, because you will rely on it in the end

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
But assuming guilt and immediately turning on the accuser can also be wrong, Personally in this case I really didn’t form an opinion until more evidence and accusers poured in, but I wasn’t going to join an internet lynch mob if I had literally no idea one way or the other. If a victim of sexual assault came to me of course I’d believe them and do everything I could, but this isn’t one of those cases, it’s two people miles away that I’ll never meet.

I feel this is the correct answer.

Your analogy isn't appropriate because you're obviously going to be biased towards believing a personal friends accusations over a strangers. They're people you have more experience being around, and understand their mindset, emotions, and sense of logic.

Whereas in cases like this, most people know nothing about neither the accused or the victim. You're right in thinking that if the conflict was between my friend and someone I don't know, I would believe my friend, but if it's two people I don't know I'm not going to automatically believe what either of them are saying without something more than their word.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Much like the other poster, you're essentially claiming that all responses posted in this thread can be legitimately reduced to a binary state: either siding with Formerly Employed At Sceenjunkies Creeper, or siding with the accused, and that any posts failing to unequivocally condemn the former and unequivocally believe and support the latter -- at any stage of the story -- fall under siding with Formerly Employed At Screenjunkies Creeper, undermine the voices of victims, harm society, and are morally reprehensible.

No.

Unfortunately, I start to see this happening more and more online - due to the nature of trying to score points with an internet in-group more than have an actual discussion.

This is especially scary for minorities or poc. Most of the time we don't even get the luxury of due process.

Bingo. I work with the Innocence project, so I tend to be pretty "innocent before proven guilty" about all claims, including harassment. But mob justice tends to hurt the most vulnerable the hardest.

Volimar

Unfortunately, I start to see this happening more and more online - due to the nature of trying to score points with an internet in-group more than have an actual discussion.

It's a disturbing trend.

Trying to shut down discussion by claiming someone's statement of neutrality puts them on the side of the accused and somehow (in this case) anti victims of sexual harrassment.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Whereas in cases like this, most people know nothing about neither the accused or the victim. You're right in thinking that if the conflict was between my friend and someone I don't know, I would believe my friend, but if it's two people I don't know I'm not going to automatically believe what either of them are saying without something more than their word.

Okay, and that's fine.

But is it wrong if someone does choose to believe her?

This is what I don't understand. If you don't believe her and need more evidence, okay. But if someone else does believe her, then why is that wrong?

Again, I am not talking about what happens in a jury room.

I feel this is important as well. Like... Uh.

lol I just got off a ban today for the same thing.

This week has been a hell of a mess with controversy all over. I've never watched any of the content made by this individual, but damn if those DMs aren't sketchy AF. Why can't peeps get power and not abuse it immediately by disrespecting others? Especially with sexual harassment.
It's a shame.

Exactly. If anyone non-mod had said it they would have got banned...i think >_> I mean I guess the ToS aren't ironclad but...

Volimar

Okay, and that's fine.

This is what I don't understand. If you don't believe her and need more evidence, okay. But if someone else does believe her, then why is that wrong?

Believing her isn't wrong, but saying that others are the reason that it's hard for sexual harrassers to come forward because they don't believe her is wrong. It's an unfair and insulting thing to say.

Okay, and that's fine.

It's not.
It's fine as well, I think. Risky in my eyes, but I wouldn't think you're doing anything wrong by just believing as a private person (unlike a judge, and all that).
The thing is that we were told that believing was the morally right thing to do, which attacks everyone doing what you just called fine, as well.

cameron

Saying it to a victim, yes. That would be the right thing to do.
But the person isn't here. We're like people sitting at a table, discussing the news.
Don't you see that saying "I believe her" has vastly different connotations in this space?
It implies that you see guilt.

The person isn't here, but people who have experienced something similar might be.

GAF is a huge forum. There are a lot of members and probably even more lurkers. On the subject of sexual harassment, if it's an issue you care deeply about, it might be worth being mindful about expressing your skepticism about an accusation. Even though there's no ill intent, victims of sexual harassment might not see it that way when they read it.

I don't mean you specifically or anyone else here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom