• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ScreenJunkies' Andy Signore Accused of Sexual Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, i'd at least hope there'd have been other corroborating statements before the thread was started. I took Neece's post as such, but that's just the original person's twitter.

With regards to "evidence" - i thought the consensus was that, in these cases, we shouldn't be 'asking for receipts'. But back then (the Nick Robinson situation), we already had multiple women corroborating the original accusations.
- also, it's really hard to take a screenshot of a verbal conversation, i guess.
@the bolded.. Shouldn't we?
I mean, it's important to listen and not brand people as liars because you want them to be wrong..
But condemning someone without any evidence seems equally shitty.

I don't see why someone would lie about something as serious as being sexually harassed.
Unfortunately, that has happened before. Not saying that's what is happening here in this particular situation, but the lack of provided evidence or corroborated claims sure doesn't help.

Fliesen

Was it a verbal conversation? I'm still reading through her tweets but on her Facebook post she mentions it being messages ("I wish I screencapped his messages")

yeah, i misread. It seems to have been via electronic messaging, after all. My bad.

@the bolded.. Shouldn't we?
I mean, it's important to listen and not brand people as liars because you want them to be wrong..
But condemning someone without any evidence seems equally shitty.

yeah, back then, the evidence was corroboration by multiple women.
Right now, we have neither. - that is true.

yeah, back then, the evidence was corroboration by multiple women.
Right now, we have neither. - that is true.

Right.
If only one person comes forward, the alleged perpetrator denies everything and there is no further proof, I have no idea how the situation shouldn't proceed.
If the allegations are true, it'd be shitty to disregard the claim as unprovable.
But what else could be done without just assuming guilt?

Monocle

Holy fucking shit why do men think it's acceptable to tell women they want to jack off to them or do sexual shit to them

Holy shit

Every single time
It's totally a compliment, lol! Indeed, women should feel flattered to learn that greasy asocial creeps think about them while they tickle their peanut.

I feel some people simply are shitty.
Like, an overweight, unkempt bearded geek making creepy comments towards women (adorkably misogynistic, if you will...) - it certainly fits a certain cliché...

But up until Youtube, these kinds of geeks weren't in positions of power / influence, and neither were their wrongdoings of interest to a large audience.

We sadly had to let go of the idea that all those "underdog success stories" we admire are good and noble people, who - throughout their struggle as a geek growing up - have built up empathy towards women and minorities.

Being a geeky Youtuber doesn't make it any more likely that you're a shithead. Sadly, it doesn't make it any less likely either.

Let's be real the more popular of a Geeky Youtuber you are the more likely you are to be a shit head....

That whole culture is rotten and few do anything about it, in fact quite the contrary they close ranks and got all Three Musketeers

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I feel like I remember Andy and company making inappropriate sexual comments during movie fights as jokes.
That’s one of the reasons why I unsubscribed to screenjunkies. Those moments were very cringeworthy. Andy looks and sounds like a creep during those moments.

Nightfall

This is insane... how can people think they could get away with such shit?

And if you're a person of public interest, it'll haunt you even further.

I love honest trailers, but I'll unsub and boycott them now.

Swarlee

I feel like I remember Andy and company making inappropriate sexual comments during movie fights as jokes.

And...

I had the benefit of going to a Hitalia panel at an anime convention run by all women. They started off saying it was PG since there were kids there. Wasnt more than two minutes in before the first semen joke. It just went down hill from there. Yuk! I left thinking if that'd been a panel of dudes they would be leaving in handcuffs.

Point I'm trying to make is women make sexual jokes too and that alone means nothing.

OT: The man sounds like a creep but she kept working for him for two months and left because the job was going nowhere not due to his actions.

Volimar

Will wait for his reply before judging. I don't really have a dog in this fight other than enjoying Honest Trailers but I won't pass judgment on either of them until I know more.

Staf

No evidence at all? No corroborating testimony? No behavioral red flags? So far this is nothing like other recent industry scandals.

This was my reaction reading this. I mean, if it's true i hope he gets what he deserves but... people are innocent until proven otherwise.

styl3s

People sure are quick to lube up the pitch forks without any kind of proof. If true fuck the guy and I'll never watch screen junkies again but I'll think I (and you) should wait till some actual evidence and hard facts show up.

nel e nel

Ugh, this guy was literally JUST on the Slashfilm cast. Is no one in the fucking games/film industry not a fucking pervert?

One day this is going to happen with someone I'm truly a fan of, and it's really going to suck.

Stop and think for a moment about how media imagery creates and sustains stereotypes about all kinds of demographics over the decades. Shitty portrayals of different groups of people wouldn't continue to be made if the entire system wasn't complicit.

Fuck Hollywood.

DeathyBoy

Banned
And...

I had the benefit of going to a Hitalia panel at an anime convention run by all women. They started off saying it was PG since there were kids there. Wasnt more than two minutes in before the first semen joke. It just went down hill from there. Yuk! I left thinking if that'd been a panel of dudes they would be leaving in handcuffs.

Point I'm trying to make is women make sexual jokes too and that alone means nothing.

OT: The man sounds like a creep but she kept working for him for two months and left because the job was going nowhere not due to his actions.

Please read that post back to yourself, give it a second read, and ask yourself whether that was really something you want on public record.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I really like Andy. Never would have thought he would do something like this. True that you can never know the dark shit people hide inside(or from the public) but I'm hoping this isn't true.

I'm withholding judgement until either another woman comes from shadows or this is proven, I've seen too many examples of people like this being shit heads and people who haven't done anything have their lives ruined. But I got my eye on this.

Budi

Ofcourse awful and disappointing if true. I follow Movie Fights and Signore has always given very positive vibes, meaning that he doesn't seem like a creep or a shit head. Ofcourse I don't actually know the guy, just seen his public persona so I can't put too much weight on that.

Jesus fucking christ. Can't you nerds keep it in your goddamn pants? How directly involved with Honest Trailers is he? Does he write them or provide the voice? If so, dude should learn from his own work. "That's not how consent works!"

Neece

Jesus fucking christ. Can't you nerds keep it in your goddamn pants? How directly involved with Honest Trailers is he? Does he write them or provide the voice? If so, dude should learn from his own work. "That's not how consent works!"

He writes.

Fuchsdh

Appropriate if true.
Still waiting for more information, I'm curious how he'll respond.

Given it's a single accusation, I'm wondering if he actually will. The person has no evidence to rebut.

Were a number of people coming forward with stories, damage control would make more sense. But he's not some prominent figure. From a PR standpoint he's probably better ignoring it.

Given it's a single accusation, I'm wondering if he actually will. The person has no evidence to rebut.

Were a number of people coming forward with stories, damage control would make more sense. But he's not some prominent figure. From a PR standpoint he's probably better ignoring it.

Look at the time. It's not even 9 am on the east coast of the US. Many people on the pacific coast aren't even awake.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Ofcourse awful and disappointing if true. I follow Movie Fights and Signore has always given very positive vibes, meaning that he doesn't seem like a creep or a shit head. Ofcourse I don't actually know the guy, just seen his public persona so I can't put too much weight on that.

Yeah same here and ill still support dan Murrel

Pau

Sadly in a lot of instances of sexual harassment there will be no proof besides the testimony of the person harassed. It's a shitty situation to be in. :/

Sadly in a lot of instances of sexual harassment there will be no proof besides the testimony of the person harassed. It's a shitty situation to be in. :/

It is.
I want to live by the creed of "innocent until proven guilty", the whole "beyond reasonable doubt" thing.
But in cases like this, it feels so bad to say "well, no proof, too bad, good luck with your future endeavors".

It is.
I want to live by the creed of "innocent until proven guilty", the whole "beyond reasonable doubt" thing.
But in cases like this, it feels so bad to say "well, no proof, too bad, good luck with your future endeavors".

Are you a judge? That's a standard for the courtroom.

It's not unethical to believe women when it comes to your personal opinions.

Why so many YouTubers turn out to be shitty people
The short version:

YouTube began at a time when white people disproportionately had access to the internet, and the resources to buy the appropriate camera equipment and editing software, etc, and society still discourages women from messing around with tech.

Existing privilege made it a safe space for white guys basically.

What is it with these b and c grade obese white film critics? I didn't know much about this guy, but he was on another podcast I listen to as a guest. Well I don't even think much of the podcast I was listening to, and even less about him. He's not an interesting critic at all.

I think we can all use our heads a bit. Would a women really put her credibility and be willing to put up with the horrific backlash just so she can be associated with being sexually harassed by Andy fucking Signore? No, obviously not. She's obviously telling the truth.

Are you a judge? That's a standard for the courtroom.

It's not unethical to believe women when it comes to your personal opinions.

Why would I be quick to presume guilt just because I'm not a judge?

I've seen too many stories turn around within days to take anything at face value.
I don't know either person here, so all I have is whatever information is presented, and the information presented doesn't allow what I'd consider reasonable judgement.
Which I would be making by believing any claim in a vacuum, imo.
I'm too far removed from the situation to be anything but a "judge".

Edit: And why would it be unethical to believe women? What?
All I'm saying is that I want to find out more.
For the record, I find it very likely that she is telling the full truth here.

Why would I be quick to presume guilt just because I'm not a judge?

I've seen too many stories turn around within days to take anything at face value.
I don't know either person here, so all I have is whatever information is presented, and the information presented doesn't allow what I'd consider reasonable judgement.
Which I would be making by believing any claim in a vacuum, imo.

Because it's demonstrably true that women lying about sexual harassment/abuse accusations is an INCREDIBLY rare phenomenon.

Because it's also demonstrably true that most men accused of sexual harassment/abuse get away with it scot-free.

Because the burden society places on women that come forward with these accusations is so intense that it's hard to believe any woman would ever come forward with something that they had just made up.

Because believing women and victims when they come forward about these things is important and morally correct.

Neece

Screen Junkies employs a fair amount of women on their various shows. Roxy is the host for TV Fights. Roth is the host and editor in chief for their news channel. Alicia Malone is a frequent host of Movie Fights. And then there are the long list of female guests they invite on (I've discovered a lot of nerdy women, and women of color through them being invited on as guests). And the guys there, Dan, Spencer, and Andy are frequent defenders of women. Hell Andy and the crew just spoke out against James Cameron when the Wonder Woman quotes hit.

I just don't see a way Andy doesn't respond to something like this. They've built up their brand, at least on the surface, as being inclusive, inviting a lot of women, and not just a good ole boys club.

C6cJvQFU8AEwHJt.jpg:large

I can't see it not being addressed.

Because it's demonstrably true that women lying about sexual harassment/abuse accusations is an INCREDIBLY rare phenomenon.

Because it's also demonstrably true that most men accused of sexual harassment/abuse get away with it scot-free.

Because the burden society places on women that come forward with these accusations is so intense that it's hard to believe any woman would ever come forward with something that they had just made up.

Because believing women and victims when they come forward about these things is important and morally correct.

Absent evidence, agnosticism is the morally correct position.

Something seems off about all this. I believe it all happened, it just feels like something is missing. Like some sort of important detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom