• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ScreenJunkies' Andy Signore Accused of Sexual Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethista

I have said nothing about condemnation here. Outside of a personal admission that I probably won't be able to support their content going forward.

It's clear that a lot of you are more interested in defending an accused man than believing a victimized woman. Almost as if you're concerned this could happen to you at some point.

Again, and It would be helpful if you adressed this point, out of everyone responding to you at least, they all say they believe her. Also, no one is defending the guy, just the process of establishing guilt.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I have said nothing about condemnation here. Outside of a personal admission that I probably won't be able to support their content going forward.

It's clear that a lot of you are more interested in defending an accused man than believing a victimized woman. Almost as if you're concerned this could happen to you at some point.

I don't actually see anyone defending him. I do see you getting called out for making weird(and dangerous) statements though.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Why are so many people in power in show business pieces of shit?

I'm inclined to believe her.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
A second woman came out? Well fuck...
We'll see what happens. Possibly Andy being forced to resign.

Is this the channel that RLM always makes fun of with their nerd crew skit?

One of them. There's a lot of these terrible movie panel channels.

McBryBry

And this is what we call a normal reaction.

Be like this person.

Holy shit, didn't realize it was so hard for some to realize this lol. Hadn't read the rest yet.

On another note, I don't understand why its so hard to not be creepy around girls who take lewd pictures. Sure, they do that. Kinda Funny had a girl who takes underwear pictures (can't remember her name) and you know what Greg did? He got an interesting discussion going about doing that for a living, what makes her comfortable with it, dealing with fans, etc. It was really cool.

STOP BEING CREEPS.

Again, and It would be helpful if you adressed this point, out of everyone responding to you at least, they all say they believe her. Also, no one is defending the guy, just the process of establishing guilt.

I'll repeat what I said near the bottom of the last page:
I think it's a semantics issue.

We are equating "believing" with "judging and condemning the accused".
They seem to simply mean "be open for their accusation, don't just disregard it as probably false".

...I think.

Edit: And obviously if this is true he is garbage. Which was the most likely scenario in the first place,but basically became exponentially more likely to be true with the second person speaking up.

Second edit: guess my assumption was wrong?

By that logic you're automatically believing the accused if you don't believe the woman.

These aren't people hanging off a cliff asking you to pick one and kick the other down.
No I'm not. Because I'm not making a definitive judgement for either side. Saying that someone might be telling the truth isn't the same as saying they're definitely lying, but if you're saying you 100% believe that someone is telling the truth, you're saying that you believe 100% that the other person did what they were accused of.

Someone saying "I believe her" and then demanding "proof" means that person does not, in fact, believe her.

Argh.
So then I'm wrong about the semantics thing, and you think that the accused should be looked at and treated as guilty without any proof?
I thought you just meant we should openly listen to what the victim has to say, but what you're saying really sounds like "guilty until proven innocent".

I would wait for more accusations to see if this is a pattern or it could really be a stupid ass mistake. The guy is an awkward nerd, maybe it was a one time thing that he really just needa to apologize for. If its a pattern though, then he deserves backlash, but for now i wont pass judgement on a he said/she said.

If this is true, as someone who's been watching SJ for almost along as it's been around - this does not surprise me in the slightest. Dude has always had this creepy "nice guy" vibe to him.

If the claim is true, I suspect more will come forward.

I would wait for more accusations to see if this is a pattern or it could really be a stupid ass mistake. The guy is an awkward nerd, maybe it was a one time thing that he really just needa to apologize for. If its a pattern though, then he deserves backlash, but for now i wont pass judgement on a he said/she said.

There has been a second. I think that's good enough to say it's not a one time mistake (which would still be gross and terrible and a crime and sexual harassment).

Sexual harassment is only sexual harassment if you do it a lot?

BTA

Someone saying "I believe her" and then demanding "proof" means that person does not, in fact, believe her.

It's disappointing how often these threads have to devolve into rape culture 101. Always believe victims/survivors. There's so little to gain from accusing someone of harassment (or worse) and everything to lose, yet I guess we have to hound them for proof because of the incredibly small chance they might be lying.

Fliesen

Nobody is irredeemable. The issue in these situations is that people often either double down (context! witch-hunt!) or go for a non-apology ("i'm sorry if anyone's disappointed in me")

It's not like people can't forgive you if you made a mistake if you:
* are sincere in your apology
* own and denounce your behaviour instead of downplaying it as "joke" or "drunk talk" or "heat of the moment thing" or "locker room talk" - that what you did was not okay, regardless of context or situation.
* behave differently going forward.

A sincere apology (to the person, not "your audience") would be a really easy first step - or at least it should be...

(this isn't specifically about this one case, because repeated behaviour, of course, means you'll have to work much harder to redeem yourself)

It's disappointing how often these threads have to devolve into rape culture 101. Always believe victims/survivors. There's so little to gain from accusing someone of harassment (or worse) and everything to lose, yet I guess we have to hound them for proof because of the incredibly small chance they might be lying.

It's funny how bringing some basic-ass 101-level feminism like "believe women" into any male-dominated space, even one that leans towards progressive politics, causes so many heads to fucking explode.

Fliesen

aye.
Like - do people really believe the concept of "professional victim" exists?
Believe that anyone would open themselves up for endless amounts of harassment by overzealous fanboys trying to defend some "geeky youtube idol" of theirs.

So much harassment goes unreported, because the likelihood of a false accusation gets way overemphasised.

Nobody is irredeemable. The issue in these situations is that people often either double down (context! witch-hunt!) or go for a non-apology ("i'm sorry if anyone's disappointed in me")

It's not like people can't forgive you if you made a mistake if you:
* are sincere in your apology
* own and denounce your behaviour instead of downplaying it as "joke" or "drunk talk" or "heat of the moment thing" or "locker room talk" - that what you did was not okay, regardless of context or situation.
* behave differently going forward.

A sincere apology (to the person, not "your audience") would be a really easy first step - or at least it should be...

(this isn't specifically about this one case, because repeated behaviour, of course, means you'll have to work much harder to redeem yourself)

Has anyone accused of this behavior ever actually just said "Yep. I did it. I'm not proud of it, I've grown as a person, and I sincerely apologize for hurting this/these women/individuals"? It wouldn't excuse them, but I could respect someone for having the balls to own up to their mistakes and repent for it.

Has anyone accused of this behavior ever actually just said "Yep. I did it. I'm not proud of it, I've grown as a person, and I sincerely apologize for hurting this/these women/individuals"? It wouldn't excuse them, but I could respect someone for having the balls to own up to their mistakes and repent for it.

Faraci handled his accusations in this way... But then sneakily stayed on the payroll, after announcing that he'd be stepping down, by taking a different job from Tim Leagues under the radar. Hugely disappointing.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I must be dense, but I’m still confused by the idea you can believe a victim yet still demand proof from them. Unless you’re their lawyer and you’re trying to put a case together, that doesn’t sound like you believe them at all.

Fliesen

The main issue here is the fact that actual "harassment" is a criminal offence - so an apology could be considered self-incrimination.
Which is why they rather use vague language like "mistakes" "lack of respect" "misbehaviour", etc.
So even if you'd want to be sincere, your lawyer would probably advise you not to say "i am a harasser of women" - also, a big part of your audience, would read your admission of 'harassment' and, since they believe harassment only starts when you literally grab someone's private parts (to some, it doesn't even start there), would think you've done things you haven't really done.
Like, admit to "predatory behaviour" and people will think you're a pedophile :/

There has been a second. I think that's good enough to say it's not a one time mistake (which would still be gross and terrible and a crime and sexual harassment).

Yeah I just read that, I was responding to the OP. Its now on him to respond, he is the boss there so its important for a quite a few people how he responds.

Sexual harassment is only sexual harassment if you do it a lot?

A pattern makes it more believable that what happened in this accusation could even happen. There is no evidence. I could accuse YOU, right now, of sexually harassing me via private message and I would have had just as much evidence as the woman in the OP.

TS-08

Is it not? I thought sexual harassment this way would be a criminal offense.

While I don't know the law in every State (and I'm assuming this happened in America), I've never heard of a superior in a work environment propositioning a subordinate for a sexual favor falling under criminal laws. Not as described in the OP.

It could run afoul of something like Title VII or the State's own version of the law, which could result in civil liability, but even that would depend on whether this situation meets the definition for various things like employer or employee.

Faraci handled his accusations in this way... But then sneakily stayed on the payroll, after announcing that he'd be stepping down, by taking a different job from Tim Leagues under the radar. Hugely disappointing.

Pretend I don't know who this is
Because I don't.

The main issue here is the fact that actual "harassment" is a criminal offence - so an apology could be considered self-incrimination.
Which is why they rather use vague language like "mistakes" "lack of respect" "misbehaviour", etc.
So even if you'd want to be sincere, your lawyer would probably advise you not to say "i am a harasser of women" - also, a big part of your audience, would read your admission of 'harassment' and, since they believe harassment only starts when you literally grab someone's private parts (to some, it doesn't even start there), would think you've done things you haven't really done.
Like, admit to "predatory behaviour" and people will think you're a pedophile :/

Oh that's true. Jeez that's a big catch-22.

While I don't know the law in every State (and I'm assuming this happened in America), I've never heard of a superior in a work environment propositioning a subordinate for a sexual favor falling under criminal laws. Not as described in the OP.

It could run afoul of something like Title VII or the State's own version of the law, which could result in civil liability, but even that would depend on whether this situation meets the definition for various things like employer or employee.

It's unlawful according to wikipedia.
Unwanted sexual advances in the workplace, that is.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_harassment

I must be dense, but I’m still confused by the idea you can believe a victim yet still demand proof from them. Unless you’re their lawyer and you’re trying to put a case together, that doesn’t sound like you believe them at all.
I think I've just been taught to not call someone guilty until the guilt is proven, which is why even with belief there, I want to see proof so justice can take place, if that makes any sense.
It feels wrong to call someone guilty without that.
That's why I think it's great a second person came forward. Terrible that there is a second person, of course.

TS-08

It's unlawful according to wikipedia.
Unwanted sexual advances in the workplace, that is.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_harassment

I think I've just been taught to not call someone guilty until the guilt is proven, which is why even with belief there, I want to see proof so justice can take place, if that makes any sense.
It feels wrong to call someone guilty without that.
That's why I think it's great a second person came forward. Terrible that there is a second person, of course.

That link pretty much says the exact thing that I told you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom