• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ScreenJunkies' Andy Signore Accused of Sexual Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neece

Looks like a third woman has come out.

bXAEd8H.png

Fliesen

It's unlawful according to wikipedia.
Unwanted sexual advances in the workplace, that is.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_harassment

I think I've just been taught to not call someone guilty until the guilt is proven, which is why even with belief there, I want to see proof so justice can take place, if that makes any sense.
It feels wrong to call someone guilty without that.
That's why I think it's great a second person came forward. Terrible that there is a second person, of course.

I think you should separate "believing the victim" and "pursuing justice against the perpetrator". It's not some zero-sum game where believing the victim automatically means that charges will be pressed.

Do you really need to withhold the "I believe you, i'm sorry what happened to you" until enough evidence has been collected so the accusation would hold up in a court of law?
What's so bad with supporting a person reporting their trauma, by not immediately asking for receipts?

That kind attitude will mean many women still won't dare to report wrongdoings performed against them, because - if they have no receipts, and no corroborators, 'just' people like you will withhold their support, while those who are fans of the perpetrator will grant them a huge amount of ... "negative attention".

I think you should separate "believing the victim" and "pursuing justice against the perpetrator". It's not some zero-sum game where believing the victim automatically means that charges will be pressed.

Do you really need to withhold the "I believe you, i'm sorry what happened to you" until enough evidence has been collected so the accusation would hold up in a court of law?
What's so bad with supporting a person reporting their trauma, by not immediately asking for receipts?

The person asked how one can believe and still want proof, and I explained how.
Of course, I wouldn't hound the victim for receipts.
I would be nothing but supportive.
But I am far enough removed to talk about wanting evidence in this forum without harming the victim, IMO.
I'd never even tweet this shit or question her the way you described.

On the new accusation:
Holy shit. That sex toy part.
Wtf.

TS-08

Then please elaborate, not being from the US, I don't understand.
It says it's not lawful.
How is is not a criminal offense then?

The distinction is the difference between civil liability (say, you get sued for an amount of money by an individual) and criminal liability (say, a State or federal government fines and/or incarcerates you). While some states may have some broad harassment criminal laws that could potentially cover this behavior, I don't think many do and they probably wouldn't be based on the power disparity at play here. This is something more likely covered under our laws with respect to employment discrimination, which are typically civil and not criminal in nature.

Ok the first one was bad but I usually don't just condemn people accused of shit with zero proof that's how they got Emmett Till.

The second one just sounded like a guy tryna hook up with a fan. Not an employee so I don't view that as sleezy.

This third one plus the first woman plus that superman rape shit is proof enough fuck that and fuck him. Actually fuck screen junkies HR department and any coworkers of his that knew about this.

The distinction is the difference between civil liability (say, you get sued for an amount of money by an individual) and criminal liability (say, a State or federal government fines and/or incarcerates you). While some states may have some broad harassment criminal laws that could potentially cover this behavior, I don't think many do and they probably wouldn't be based on the power disparity at play here. This is something more likely covered under our laws with respect to employment discrimination, which are typically civil and not criminal in nature.

I see. But this new tweet would make it criminal, then? I mean, that's sexual assault, isn't it? The sex toy part.

Pretend I don't know who this is
Because I don't.

Sorry, Devin Faraci. The former editor-in-chief of Birth.Movies.Death (formerly known as badass digest). There were accusations that he had drunkenly shoved his hand down a woman's pants at a bar. His response was that he didn't remember that, but had a history of black-out drunkenness, and accepted her accusations as the truth. He stepped down, apologized, and went to rehab... Then it turns out that Tim Leagues, the owner of Alamo Drafthouse (which owns Birth.Movies.Death) had just given him a different job writing copy when he had supposedly stepped down and that they both kept it a secret.

Keym

Well. So much for Screen Junkies. I won't watch anymore as long as this guy keeps working with them.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
God damn it, four victims, and HR tried to cover it up?

This will not end well for Screen Junkies or Honest Trailers

Well, Andy has officially earned milkshake duck status in m book.

Please just tell me Nick isn’t a creep too

Give me a break. All these creeps are the same. Everyone knew what they were like. No one wants to be the one to put themselves on the line though.

Devin Faraci, Harry Knowles, and Harvey Weinstein. These things were open secrets.

ScreenJunkies is a house built by a wannabe rapist. I told you guys he was obviously guilty.

A pattern makes it more believable that what happened in this accusation could even happen. There is no evidence. I could accuse YOU, right now, of sexually harassing me via private message and I would have had just as much evidence as the woman in the OP.

The thing that bugs me about this thread is that a lot of you keep putting yourselves in the accused shoes and make him out to be some kind of victim.

"Well, maybe it was just a one time mistake."
"Well now that there's two accusations, it seems more likely that the first is true."

Even if say you're waiting for proof, you're basically just saying "well, I'll wait for his side of the story."

It's uncomfortably telling.

I get it, you like the guy, but the act of believing women isn't condemning him.

Harmen

It is so sad many women have to face creeps like this. I have no reason to doubt this story since at this point three women have come forward with similar stories.

Sexually harassing an employee will normally get you fired (I hope/think), but on a platform like YouTube this will likely end with some criticism, the loss of a collaboration/sponsor and that is it.

is that so

Well, yes, this happens. The ex-girlfriend of one of my former colleagues said she was raped. It eventually turned out she cheated and had big regrets/wanted to put the blame elsewhere. Dude obviously wanted to go to the cops but she wanted to remain silent and eventually came clean. The ex of one of my friends also spread some nasty stories about him after a very ugly breakup, Later she retracted those and they became friends again. Those are the examples in my personal life.

But I figure these type of false accusations rarely, if ever, go to public and should not be used as "evidence" against (real) cases of sexual assault such as the topic of this thread.

Furthermore, I'd like to add that I have witnessed/heard about much, much more situations in real life the other way around, where someone was in fact harassing another person, predominantly men harassing women.

duckroll

Four stories now covering a range of creepy and outright illegal stuff. Well, I guess that's it for him. Probably won't stop here either.

Sephzilla

From Nick Mundy's twitter

Mundy @dickfundy said:
I think @April13Dawn and @EmmaBowers coming forward with their statements is incredibly brave. No one should have to go through this.

Mundy @dickfundy said:
Stop sexually harassing women. It's not hard. Can't wait for every piece of shit that does this gets exposed for the human garbage they are.

And that's the sad part, 1 story is never enough. It's not until there are multiple accusations that people feel comfortable going "okay, NOW he's a creep."

Carcetti

Four now?

And we all know that means it's probably double that minimum if he just had the opportunities.

RIP Honest Trailers for covering it up.

Pau

Reminder that this floodgate would not be opened without one victim taking the first step. Very brave of her.

Taking lewd photos =/= I'm available to be propositioned and/or be a sex partner

What's worse is when you abuse your power like that. That's really scummy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom