• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ScreenJunkies' Andy Signore Accused of Sexual Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metalmarc

IMG_7728.jpg

And that's the sad part, 1 story is never enough. It's not until there are multiple accusations that people feel comfortable going "okay, NOW he's a creep."

One series of tweets wasn't enough for me to feel secure in viewing someone I had never heard of as trash, yes.
But I did open my eyes and ears to find out more, no matter how.
Of course it's much easier when multiple people come forward, or other evidence is produced.
He's been a creep all along, but now I'm not scared of making a wrong judgment.

I'm sorry, but I didn't "wait" because I didn't believe her.
I believe it's because initial news so often turn out to be misleading about so many things, it's not easy to just trust a stranger.
Just talking about myself, of course.

Edit: I'm just scared of blindly trusting anything online these days. I hope I'm not viewed as a shitty person for that.

HR works for the company. Not you.

True, but working for the Company means protecting them from lawsuits by protecting those who work there from discrimination, harassment and abuse. This HR team hasn't done their job at all based on what we are hearing.

SeanC

There's so much of this going on right now just among the film community. It's fucking disheartening and disgusting. Blogs, film festivals, magazines, youtubers...christ. It's ingrained now, everything needs to be rebooted.

Reminder that this floodgate would not be opened without one victim taking the first step.

Yup

And that women would feel more open to come forward if there wasn't a minimum > 1 number of women required before they're believed.

No woman can ever know that they're not the first or only.

TS-08

I see. But this new tweet would make it criminal, then? I mean, that's sexual assault, isn't it? The sex toy part.

The sex toy allegation certainly does. The picture allegation might, but probably not if he's just taking pics in the office or something, as creepy as that seems.

Fliesen

Yup

And that women would feel more open to come forward if there wasn't a minimum > 1 number of women required before they're believed.

No woman can ever know if they're the first or only.

and this was her THIRD time telling that story on Twitter.
Like, i don't know what's worse - crying for help and noone listening, or crying for help, possibly unleashing the misogynistic rage of a crowd similar to #gamergate

smokey5604

Neo Member
This is some vile shit. I hope that action is dealt swiftly and justly. There are too many people that have had evidence come out against them that they were abusing their positions to solicit sexual acts or other evil acts that haven't been punished.

Major internet personalities continue throwing themselves upon their pikes, but atleast the truth is getting out there. It is sad times we live in that those that are abused can't even come out and report their attackers or harassers without a legion of people calling them liars. Sad, sad times.

GamerJM

Banned
Well fuck this guy. The woman who came forward is really brave. I'd say I wouldn't watch his content anymore but his content was garbage in the first place, so....

WeightyJitteryKakapo-size_restricted.gif

There's so much of this going on right now just among the film community. It's fucking disheartening and disgusting. Blogs, film festivals, magazines, youtubers...christ. It's ingrained now, everything needs to be rebooted.

It's in most industries. You're just more likely to hear about it here and in politics.

and this was her THIRD time telling that story on Twitter.
Like, i don't know what's worse - crying for help and noone listening, or crying for help, possibly unleashing the misogynistic rage of a crowd similar to #gamergate

I wonder why it finally got traction this time.
Good thing it did.

I'm sure HR was just acting like some of the fine people in this thread and making a commitment to courtroom standards of evidence before taking a woman at her word.

The reason this pattern of behavior keeps flourishing is because of the chilling baseline skepticism that greets these kind of accusations.

I'm sure HR was just acting like some of the fine people in this thread and making a commitment to courtroom standards of evidence before taking a woman at her word.

The reason this pattern of behavior keeps flourishing is because of the chilling baseline skepticism that greets these kind of accusations.

giphy.gif

trejo

Well, I guess that's it for screen junkies from me until this creep gets shown the door. All I really like from them is the occasional honest trailer anyway so luckily they won't be too hard to avoid.

Beartruck

Jeezus, im running out of shit to watch on youtube at this point. Im down to redlettermedia, superbestfriends, pat the nes punk and Game Sack. Everyone else keeps baring their asses (or dicks in this instance).

Apparently HR's job is to silence victims and protect the higher-ups

HR exists to protect the company and ensure they follow correct protocol/law/policy to avoid being sued. A byproduct of that is they 'should' address any issues like discrimination, harassment or the like, but it circles back to protecting the employer from reprisal. Under no circumstances are they acting on behalf of the employee, considering they are employees themselves.

sappyday

If it's true then fuck him. I have always liked the Screen Junkies crew but Andy bugged me. I feel bad for the rest of the crew since they are talented and are main creative forces behind Honest Trailers.

edit: didn't see Joe's or Spencer's tweets. Must suck.

Gattsu25

Banned
While it's good to see that person that assaulted and harassed women is finally having their sins aired the early reactions here were pretty damned disgusting.

You want to know why women don't go public with their sexual harassment? That is why. YOU are why.

No one believes them. People question their character and force them to relive their abuse only to still dismiss their truth.

Only when multiple women come forward do you start to see people accept that they might have been wrong but even that is a cop out.

What happens to the many women who are the sole targets of their harassers?
The victims whose only evidence of their abuse is their lived experience?

Some trash ass responses on that first page. Damn.

While it's good to see that person that assaulted and harassed women is finally having their sins aired the early reactions here were pretty damned disgusting.

You want to know why women don't go public with their sexual harassment? That is why. YOU are why.

No one believes them. People question their character and force them to relive their abuse only to still dismiss their truth.

Only when multiple women come forward do you start to see people accept that they might have been wrong but even that is a cop out.

Yep. She's awesome for having the bravery to come forward. Fuck this guy and anyone 2nd tried to protect him

Sephzilla

While I do feel like innocent until proven guilty shouldn't be lost in all of this, sexual harassment is usually something that doesn't have much in the way of hard evidence and usually ends up being one person's word against another's. Ultimately the word of the accuser doesn't seem to carry as much weight as it rightfully should. It's awful that so many victims either have their claims dismissed or don't feel confident enough to step forward.

Sethista

I am sad that they had to go through this, but at least now they feel empowered to come forward and make sure he gets what he deserves.
Good on the first woman who had the courage to speak.

Hope this starts a proper investigation so he can do time. The HR story is terrifying.

sappyday

For those that don't know. Dan Murrell, Spencer Gilbert, and Joe Starr are part of the main team of Screen Junkies behind Andy. Dan is the editor of honest trailers and host of other shows, Spencer and Joe are the writers for honest trailers and host other shows as well.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Guess I'm done watching Honest Trailers then. Jesus.
Same. Ugh.

Edit: just saw the post above ^ if the rest of the team is vocally denouncing this shit and he resigns, then I might give them another chance. Otherwise, fuck everything

This boggles my mind.

How can anyone write an email with tons of :) everywhere :) when talking about rape? Like... how? How does one start typing up this shit and doesn't think "Wait a minute what the fuck am I writing good gods no" and.. but yeah he's a serial sexual harasser, so I guess that explains it.

Noticed these kinds of sexual assault cases mostly come from geek film outlets, and not outlets like Variety, Indiewire, The Film Stage, The Hollywood Reporter, etc. Is it because they don't have women in higher roles or are predominantly male geeks?

Dude what

Hollywood itself is full of stories like this.

Literally yesterday's news

I believe he's purely talking within the Film Press sphere.

Noticed these kinds of sexual assault cases mostly come from geek film outlets, and not outlets like Variety, Indiewire, The Film Stage, The Hollywood Reporter, etc. Is it because they don't have women in higher roles or are predominantly male geeks?

Stop trying to inflate Expendable's ego.

lol

The thing that bugs me about this thread is that a lot of you keep putting yourselves in the accused shoes and make him out to be some kind of victim.

"Well, maybe it was just a one time mistake."
"Well now that there's two accusations, it seems more likely that the first is true."

Even if say you're waiting for proof, you're basically just saying "well, I'll wait for his side of the story."

It's uncomfortably telling.

I get it, you like the guy, but the act of believing women isn't condemning him.

No, I say it as a victim of sexual assault. I know what it is like to have someone with more power than you hold it over you that you cant do anything (he was an older relative). I know if I just said something about it, it would be taken as I just didnt know what I was saying. When there is more than one source it starts to become more damning.

Its also uncomfortablly telling how people leap to conclusions without evidence. You may have been one of the people burning others in Salem, or sentencing people to death from "hard evidence" in cases where later DNA evidence showed innocence but oops they are already dead.

You dont just say things without something else to back it up, otherwise it has no meaning.

Rick1o1

Damn I really like some of their content like honest trailers and movie fights. But this is disgusting.

I wonder if they can still continue if they kick him out or if the brand is too damaged. I will not unsubscribe immediately because I still like the rest of the crew, but I will not be watching anything with Andy anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom