• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ScreenJunkies' Andy Signore Accused of Sexual Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budi

He's been fired.

A shame it took multiple women and several months but at least he's gone now.
Good, really unfortunate that it took so long before anything started to happen. But that has no mention of any other terminations, I understood that HR was covering it up? Or aren't they just mentioning anything else since the person(s) isn't a public figure?

Good riddance.

I'm iffy on this statement though. They just glossed over the fact that they were informed about this two months ago, and according to people familiar with the situation, there were multiple complainants (iirc). Seems like they wanted to just sneak the "investigation" in there and hope people kind of forget about this without them having to let anyone else go.

Rockk

Good, really unfortunate that it took so long before anything started to happen. But that has no mention of any other terminations, I understood that HR was covering it up? Or aren't they just mentioning anything else since the person(s) isn't a public figure?

I think it's not entirely unreasonable to say that Defy Media only fired him because people found out. Not because they actually cared about what was happening to these women.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Glad to hear he was fired. I thought he’d try to weasel out of it with an “apology” statement.

I also hope this sends at least some kind of message to harassers that this type of behavior isn’t acceptable or tolerated.

Like racism, the definition of harassment is broader than many care to learn or understand. Micro-aggressions and subtle harassment is still harassment. Becoming more aware of manipulative tactics from harassers and abusers is also a valuable mindset to have. Reading his messages and dms had my wife shaking her head and calling out how many times that type of shit was tried on her.

It’s not always about seeing the abuser put behind bars or having their lives “ruined.” Sometimes just being heard and believed is enough. Which is kind of sad, really, but victims are so used to having their voices silenced that even the smallest victory is still a victory.

Any leader who was informed but didn't do anything should have been fired first. Where I work, my CEO will fire any manager who gets a report of harassment and doesn't escalate it.

Budi

I think it's not entirely unreasonable to say that Defy Media only fired him because people found out. Not because they actually cared about what was happening to these women.
Unfortunately this is the sad reality where that is a big possibility. Atleast people seemed to still keep noise about that in the responses of the tweet. But it will probably go unadressed.

It's not some 'revelation' to him, he uses that statement after the fact to retroactively pretend like the sexual advances before were just some random, weird 'compliment', some joke.
And to pretend he just realized how this totally "came out wrong". Like "woops, brainfart". - To make the victim think "well, that was super creepy, thankfully he realized he's being weird right now. Otherwise i would have needed to bring up that i'm uncomfortable, ... i guess it really was just a joke"

When in fact, he's totally aware of what he's saying, why he's saying it and what kind of response he's hoping to get. He's just being incredibly manipulative.

And it's obviously working on some of you guys as well, who are seeing him as some kind of 'super thirsty pathetic creep' (someone who you'd almost pity), instead of a manipulative predatory harasser. The whole pathetic thirsty awkward spiel is just an act, both for his victims, but also if one of the victims maybe showed the conversation to an outsider. - because "being a thirsty creep" is 'only' pathetic.

I see what you're saying. And agree. He's using his position of power to harass them under the veil of being creepy. I'm just baffled he didn't get the hint to idk... Stop? Maybe he will now that he's fired.

I've seen this happen at my job twice. Once by a male senior manager and once by a female senior manager. They would improve employee stats and erase records for "favors". They both got fired.

Cipherr

Sorry if this is over the line, but I really have to agree with Inferno that the idea of ”reductive binary rhetoric" is incredibly dangerous here. In a situation like this being ”pragmatic" still involves choosing one side over the other. In this case that means choosing to give the benefit of the doubt to the man over the woman. We are talking about an industry well known for men pulling stuff like this, so a ”wait and see" approach is not neutral. It absolutely has implications.

Please note that I understand backseat modding is against the rules and I am not making any sort of claim that any particular bans made in this thread are wrong. Just providing my input on a particular part of EvilLore's argument. I hope that's considered fair game.

I dont think anyone is asking you to give anyone the benefit of the doubt. Jesus. Im just reading this thread, and the initial information was paper thin. All people are saying is chill out a bit and let the story develop. Asking you to wait the 24 hours that it took this particular to materialize into something that was trustworthy enough to decide that there was serious merit here is NOT ASKING TOO MUCH OF YOU. You guys come off as whining because someone is asking you to exercise the meagerest of goddamned patience when you hear something on the internet. That's completely childish, and the attempt to paint the request for a microscopic bit of prudence as "Boys club toxicity that's responsible for both suppressing rape victims and building the negative reputation of nerd culture" is completely transparent.

You are just kicking and whining because maybe waiting a day in this case for further details is harder than instant knee jerk reactions based solely on emotion due to the lack of, well... anything else, solid evidence included. No one is trying to stop you from doing and saying what needs to be said once the situation firms up (as it has by this point) just asking you to act like an adult.

That request is completely reasonable. And trying to paint it as some sort of attack on women or as "Everything wrong with these issues today" is disingenuous to the point of being extremely offensive.

Personally I don't see how ”come back later" is any different than an automatic assumption that the man did nothing wrong.

Then you need to work on that. Seriously, and its going to sound condescending but that's just the truth. They aren't even remotely the same, and you are making a conscious choice to see them that way. It's wrong, and you should stop.

hollomat

Banned
Pretty shitty that HR was made aware of these allegations in August but didn’t do anything until these women went public. Hopefully it’s not just Andy who gets the boot.

Barren Mind

Pretty shitty that HR was made aware of these allegations in August but didn’t do anything until these women went public. Hopefully it’s not just Andy who gets the boot.

I agree with this. Based on what we know, it seems this problem was systemic based on the fact that the company did not act until the accusations were made public.

The Ummah

Banned
"We were made aware of this situation a while ago, but didn't take it seriously until we were getting shitted on and our reputation was at stake."

Pretty much.

Glad that he is out of a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom