• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ScreenRant: Starfield Could Be The Xbox Exclusive That Saves The Series X

Are gamers pushing their expectations for Starfield too high?

• Yes, gamers need to temper the hype

Votes: 166 78.7%
  • No, Starfield will meet or exceed everyone's expectations

Votes: 45 21.3%

• Total voters
It's also reassuring that Starfield is being made by Bethesda, a well-respected legacy company known for creating epic franchises like The Elder Scrolls and the modern Fallout games. There aren't many teams out there that can deliver on everything Starfield is promising, but with Bethesda's history and experience, they're certainly one of them. Plus, Bethesda has made hit Xbox console exclusives in the past, with The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and Oblivion - the latter a timed exclusive - both being critical and commercial hits...
game rant presents: bethesda for beginners...

ACESHIGH

Banned
Let's be honest here. Folks have doubts because this is now an Xbox/PC game. The narrative would be WAY different if it was just a regular multiplat.

Rockstar can get away with 2001 mission design with a new coat of paint so I don't see how Skyrim on space with better graphics and modding potential can fail. Specially since Skyrim is STILL a big seller.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Goddamn MS buying Bethesda.. could've gotten a PSVR2 upgrade of Skyrim and been looking forward to a VR version of this... It in all seriousness I'm not feeling the hype for this tbh
That's the one thing that sucks about MS, the general indifference to VR. They don't even have the VR version of Skyrim or Fallout on gamepass even though they have VR for Flight Sim and several 3rd party VR games on gamepass.

DaGwaphics

Didn’t read. The Xbox doesn’t need saving. People act like 3rd place 🥉 is a death sentence 😆

IKR, it's beyond stupid. But it isn't accidental either, there is a lot of bias in the gaming media and some brands like to leverage that good old doubt. And, by trying to play themselves down as much as possible, MS has played into that a bit at the moment (though it is understandable give the circumstances). :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Let's be honest here. Folks have doubts because this is now an Xbox/PC game. The narrative would be WAY different if it was just a regular multiplat.

Rockstar can get away with 2001 mission design with a new coat of paint so I don't see how Skyrim on space with better graphics and modding potential can fail. Specially since Skyrim is STILL a big seller.

Let me be honest : the bolded part falls into the "persecution complex" category, if people are going to be shitting on Starfield is because it's a Bethesda game and if you 've been alive for more than 20 years you'd know what you're signing in for...
They may create memorable games but...their last 3 games (Skyrim, FO4, FO76) have all been a complete clusterfuck each for their own reasons and got good yeaaaars after their release.

Also : you say Rockstar, I say CD projekt - a company that everybody loved and sucked their dick and yet, we all know what happened when Cyberpunk got released, the meltdowns and shitting were a thing to behold, so no, people are not as stupid or misguided (or "fanboys") as you claim to be brother, if a product reeks, it reeks and it will be scrutinized no matter what, it has nothing to do with whether it's on X or Y plastic box, multiplatform or not.

Cheerio

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Considering it's being developed by betashed, i'm more curious about how many bugs it'll undoubtably have.

Topher

Gold Member
Didn’t read. The Xbox doesn’t need saving. People act like 3rd place 🥉 is a death sentence 😆

Also didn't read. Just more clickbait nonsense. And it is "screenrant"

Come On Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Alphagear

I would have been excited for it in 2013.

10 years too late.

Mass Effect has been here and done it.

No chance Starfield will surpass it either.

Fredrik

Starfield at launch will be huge on PC and a solid entry on Xbox too but nothing like PC numbers. Anyone stating different does not understand the lineage this game comes from.

If the game is massively bug ridden or just plain sucks those launch numbers would tank, and quick, similar to Halo Infinite.

If the game QA is solid, combined with an actually good or great game followed up with sustained dev/community support it is going to see massive success for a very long ass time, similar to previous hits from this dev.
Yeah this a PC game for me and I assume most Bethesda fans. That’s where the modding will take place, even if they would add some official mods on console it still won’t have the coolest mods and they’ll probably go for 30fps unless they scale back the visuals like crazy.

Didn’t know Xbox needed to be saved though.

Yeah this a PC game for me and I assume most Bethesda fans. That’s where the modding will take place, even if they would add some official mods on console it still won’t have the coolest mods and they’ll probably go for 30fps unless they scale back the visuals like crazy.

Didn’t know Xbox needed to be saved though.

Agree on both points there mate.

I still find it so odd Xbox, and consoles in general, don't support more modding like PCs do. Given the prevalence of cheating via XIM/Cronus/scripting and these days cross play is turned on for so many titles, what is the point of not having full modding and community support on consoles/devices in the modern market? Parity with cross play and game/modding features would be uber supportive for gamers.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I still find it so odd Xbox, and consoles in general, don't support more modding like PCs do. Given the prevalence of cheating via XIM/Cronus/scripting and these days cross play is turned on for so many titles, what is the point of not having full modding and community support on consoles/devices in the modern market? Parity with cross play and game/modding features would be uber supportive for gamers.
To get access to all mods they would have to unlock the console and let us access the files. Would be awesome but they’re concerned it’ll lead to piracy.

Makes me wonder though, would using the file explorers used for fiddling with Retroarch give you access to more mods?

To get access to all mods they would have to unlock the console and let us access the files. Would be awesome but they’re concerned it’ll lead to piracy.

Makes me wonder though, would using the file explorers used for fiddling with Retroarch give you access to more mods?

My issue with that reason is PC already has such issues, access and remedies etc. It's not like consoles are reinventing the wheel.

It would be a nice app to have, mod management I mean. After all the emulation, previous gen apps Xbox built into the OS why not go a bit further.

PeteBull

Lets assume best case scenario, so 95metacritic score, sales dwarfing hogwarts legacy etc, i think in that case, since its not avaiable on playstation, it could maybe get additional 5 maybe even 10m xbox series x(defo not s) consoles bought from playstation owners who really wanna play that game, it would definitely help xbox platform to grow for sure.

More realistic scenario- meta is in mid to high 80s and it bumbs xbox sales for a month or two for 2-3m consoles, still worth it ofc, wont be gamechanger but xbox(and any other platform) needs high quality exclusives so its always better to have starfield than not.

Worst case scenario- metacritic score is below 80s, game is bugfest and gets bad word of mouth, like fallout 76, so last bethesda game in that genre, in that case its sales will bomb hard and we get tons of memes :p

We can only wait for more previews/info, after big blowout with hogwarts legacy promotional videos/previews we as veteran players could easily assume game was solid(not 10/10 goty but still very good game), months before actual reviews/launch, so same thing will happen here, we simply need more info and wait bit longer to know how good starfield can/gonna be.

Last edited:

Paasei

It’s going to be Fallout in space. Maybe a larger world, but nothing completely new or different. And that’s alright with me, cause I’ll mod the shit out of it anyway. That is the true charm of Bethesda games.

Philfrag

Banned
I'm not really feeling the hype out there.

Am I crazy to think the fan response will be good but not great?
People including me are lying to ourselves about what we've seen so far. We like the features it brings to the overall Bethesda experience but are a bit shocked that it hasn't blown our minds. I know that sounds entitled but the hype for a new Bethesda title after the disaster of Fallout 76 was quite strong. We all half hoped they would knock it out of the park to prove the industry wrong. So far though all we've gotten is Todd Howard talking on a stage, a few shots of dodgy looking fps gameplay, simplistic looking space combat and menus, most of which is at an uncomfortable frame rate. Oh also no space to planet transition, which I'm not too fussed about but In my opinion would really impress people. Not a lot of games can do it, I know its difficult. Overall we all think it will be fine. Made better with mods over time. We all hope its an awesome game and are doing everything in our power to put some of the glaring issues to the back of our minds. "They'll optimise it BEFORE release", "The story WILL be good", "exploring those planets WILL be a fun and rewarding experience" "Bethesda games without Jeremy Soule ARE just as good" . The lies we tell ourselves. Lucky I speak for everyone on this.

TonyK

I want it and will play it for sure even if it's a 7. But I don't have the feeling it will bring a lot of new users to Xbox. I don't feel people will buy a Xbox for Starfield. At least not for one single game. In my opinion, you need at least three games you die for to play in order to buy a new system.

ProtoByte

The game doesn't look good. The presentation, worldbuilding/plot structure and clunky gameplay don't look evolved past anything we've seen with these types of games over the last 20 years.

recma12

Some folk are going to be absolutely heartbroken when it comes out and is as aggressively meh as Fallout 4.

Outlook for Xbox would actually much better if they had a mediocre Fallout game on the way, bc it's a well known IP.
Starfield OTH is only a big deal in gaming circles, I'm willing to bet my ass that the average joe has no idea what a "Starfield" is or that it is coming out.

The game doesn't look good. The presentation, worldbuilding/plot structure and clunky gameplay don't look evolved past anything we've seen with these types of games over the last 20 years.

Yeah this isn't a situation like Elden Ring where nobody doubted it would come out great and the only mytery left was how great it would be.
With Starfield I'm seeing red flags everywhere. The gameplay vid they released looked doctored and scripted as fuck and it isn't a good sign that they aren't putting out new footage regularly.

Hell, even though I'm hyped as fuck, own a XSX and have GPU I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy an Xbox for Starfield.

Riky

$MSFT
It's the biggest new IP of the generation, next gen exclusive, Bethesda single player RPG games don't miss, it's one of the best track records in the history of gaming up there with Zelda.
Of course it's going to have millions of sales and a huge boost to Gamepass.

It's not really about just Series X but a big hit for the Xbox gaming division in general.

Yoboman

Could be

I actually think it will be pretty solid but struggle a lot more than anticipated due to the uninteresting setting and aesthetics

Robb

Gold Member
I think StarField could be rated the greatest game of all time, live up to all the hype, and it still wouldn’t save anything. What Xbox needs is consistency, one masterpiece every 2 years isn’t going to make a difference.

Duchess

I don't think people quite realise just how very important this is, so let me spell it out in one clear line:

IF STARFIELD FAILS, XBOX IS DONE!

Yep, done. If the reviews come out saying that Starfield is only "good" then MS will exit gaming entirely. But not only that, hoards of black vans will be seen driving down roads, and up to people's houses. The local, national, and international news will be broadcasting scenes of armour-clad soldiers smashing their way into gamers' homes, unplugging their Series consoles from their TVs, and loading them up into the parked vans.

At the same time, MS will remove all mention of Xbox from its websites, store listing, and Wikipedia will purge every mention of it from its pages.

"What's an Xbox? Is that a new PlayStation handheld?" people will be asking when the green rats, tears rolling down their cheeks, enter their local video game outlet, seeking a replacement for their stolen machines.

Yep, Xbox has just a few months left to prove it has what it takes to carry on in this highly competitive world, or else it's going to heaven (the cloud).

====

Okay, being serious - Look, Starfield is certainly important to Xbox, but it's not THAT important. I imagine people will say that Hi Fi Rush was better..!

Last edited:

Fredrik

My issue with that reason is PC already has such issues, access and remedies etc. It's not like consoles are reinventing the wheel.

It would be a nice app to have, mod management I mean. After all the emulation, previous gen apps Xbox built into the OS why not go a bit further.
Yeah I agree, not sure if it’s leaving money on the table to not fully free the mod community on consoles but it’s definitely affecting at least how I personally think about console games today.
I’m always thinking - Do I want mods for this game?
If I do then I always go for the PC version. Unless it’s broken or I want to play it with the kids in the living room, then I go for console version.
I’d say MS is stumbling here since Steam versions are always better for mods. I’ll probably try the Windows Store version of Starfield but the Steam version is where I’ll put in the most time if things are like they usually are.

yamaci17

it will either be a goty 95+ masterpiece game
or be the doom and downfall of xbox gaming brand altogether

there really is no in between

they plucked the game away from PlayStation. it either justifies that, or not. PS games are absent on Xbox but they justify it, by pure quality and experience they bring to the table. those devs prepare great games by the virtue of having only one platform to optimize for. if Starfield cannot do that, it is a blatant abduction of a multiplat studio just for the sake of it. (i exclude PC because it uses same dx12 gdk api)

Last edited:

kyussman

I just want a game to launch that kickstarts the generation,it still feels like last gen to me and it's why I've had no desire to get a next gen console yet.If the game is huge and has the quality to match the size I may well get an XSX to play it.....about 6 months after launch,no way I'd consider getting it at launch,lol.

A console can't be saved with a single game. A console needs a constant stream of new games to keep players engaged.

Starfield releasing could mean one or two great months for Xbox but that's it. They also need decent marketing for once.

That said...these Bethesda games usually do great on PC, so i'm sure this one won't be an exception.

Astray

Gold Member
I do wonder though how much this is causing people to have delusions beyond reasonable expectations. If they do than it may be very hard for Starfield to meet them, resulting in a potentially 9 game being a 6 or 7 just because of how much hype feeding has gone around.
It's due to the unique circumstances of the game. It's gone from being a massive Bethesda release to being a huge Xbox exclusive to being THE Xbox exclusive that will turn around the system's fortunes. Add the delays and Todd Howard and you will surely see that having high expectations is par for the course.

Metnut

After Fallout 4 and 76 I’m hoping this game can at least save Bethesda. Any single game saving Series X might be too much to ask given how this generation has gone.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Hype? What hype? The gameplay I saw was interesting, but nothing special. I need to see more first and especially play it myself.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yesterday there was a thread about fun versus engagement in games.

I can see Starfield being an engaging game that sinks its hooks in me. I’m not going to go in with set expectations, but Bethesda is one of those companies that can pull it off.

It has to be. It's basically all MS has left to turn the tide.

Wait 30fps? Is this confirmed? LMAO.

Last edited:
That title is something. Some people are obsessed with MS being doomed.

The Series X doesn't need saving lmfao. The outrage around this game is only because it's exclusive to MS platforms. If this was coming to PS5 nobody would be shitting on it.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT

Xbox has some mod support.

Top Bottom