• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screenshots and gifs of great unported 80s/90s arcade games

eso76

Haunted Castle

Haunted_Castle.png

(iirc this did receive a late, Japan only release on PS2 as part of some Castlevania collection)

Pyrrhus

Prop Cycle

0Lu5xlx.png

f6M1C4Z.png

It had this crazy setup with a rear projection screen and what was essentially an exercise bike.

qXa1JQT.png
603dHE5.png
K8IghDW.png

You have to control tilt and pitch with the handle bars and your body while maintaining speed with your legs in order to use the prop plane/glider to fly through a Miyazaki-like landscape and town popping balloons in a time-attack style game with increasingly harder courses in order to somehow save pieces of your town that have been floated up into the sky with ancient technology.

It was a really awesome presentation back in 1996 with voiced 3D cutscenes and graphics that sort of remind me of Pilotwings and Mega Man Legends smashed together with menu design and music like Klonoa: Door to Phantomile. Here's some video of somebody playing it to completion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiAI3McfRag

SegaSonic The Hedgehog (1993)

218801_200x130.png

This game actually required you to move your character using a trackball.

tumblr_nc5l02lECI1tdjgz4o1_500.gif

The game let you play as Sonic, Mighty (his debut), and Ray. This is the only game Ray is playable in.

Hands-On-SegaSonic-The-Hedgehog-8.gif

The game can be played with up 3 players at once.

The game is really short. There are only a few stages and all of them are over in a couple minutes.

latest

Besides obvious perspective issues, the game is a pain to play on an emulator since nothing can really replicate the trackball controls.

Segasonic_icyisle.png

This, Knuckles Chaotix, and Sonic Pocket Adventure are really the only noteworthy Sonic platformers that have yet to be re-released in any shape or form. I think this game would probably control well with touchscreen controls. Shame it's a lost relic, now. It's not great, but it oozes personality and charm.

SegaSonic The Hedgehog (1993)

This, Knuckles Chaotix, and Sonic Pocket Adventure are really the only noteworthy Sonic platformers that have yet to be re-released in any shape or form. I think this game would probably control well with touchscreen controls. Shame it's a lost relic, now. It's not great, but it oozes personality and charm.

It doesn't help that this game is exceedingly rare. Up until a couple of years ago, there weren't even good screenshots of it because nobody had a board to dump the ROM off of.

Also, this thread is amazing.

My contribution: Windjammers. Easily one of the best Neo-Geo MVS games out there. It only got a home release on AES and Neo CD, so those who didn't spend the big money at the time for a Neo Geo home system didn't get to experience this magic.

2666856-windjammers_court_lawn.png

Metamorphic "Fucking" Force

BEAST! Yeah, that's my #1 pick, love this game. When I was a teen, the local arcade had it for about a few weeks, then it was suddenly gone. Apparently someone complained it was promoting Satan or something... (yet they were perfectly fine with seeing a Mortal Kombat II fatality right as you walked in...)

AvP is also another great one. Man, I miss arcades.

Fuck. We need to bring back brawlers.

Some indie have tried but I haven't seen anything even approaching one of the great Capcom, Sega, or SNK brawlers.

QFT. I miss the genre so much. :(

Dead Connection and The Outfoxies are both amazing. Fun pick-up-and-play titles with unique artstyles. Bet both would be as revered as Elevator Action Returns if they had been ported to the Saturn or PSX.

eso76

Prop Cycle

One of my favorites.

While we are at it, rave racer, dirt dash, cyber cycles (ever noticed how namco liked to name their racers RR, DD, CC etc ?).

Oh, and I bet most of you haven't seen this

lhY9rXg.jpg

Taito's Vertexer, 1993. a mighty fine f-zero clone with roller coaster like tracks. Like F Zero GX but sprites based.
You won't find much about it, ttbomk it's not yet emulated.
Video !

https://youtu.be/K-lVyYtkgRY

Terrific Soundtrack by Zuntata, too.

Also

Fixeight by the excellent Toaplan

Fixeight%2029.png

I do prefer it's prequel, Outzone.
Well, it has better pixel art

1104094397.jpg

SeanC

Time Traveler

Arcade_complete_view.jpg

[/IMG]

There's a place in LA that has this game and, 25 years later, I still have no clue how to play it or what to do with it. Less that 60 seconds and out of credits I just walked away as annoyed and frustrated as I did when I was 12.

jjasso21

Wonderful thread! I played quite a few of the ones listed. Favories are just about any shmups and beat-em ups. Sadly I could only play most of the Neo Geo titles via emulation, since I could never afford it in the nineties. Those proces are ridiculous and only saw the KoFs and Kabuki Clash in the Arcades back then.

Trog actually came to NES. As someone who loved the arcade game as a kid, I was disappointed that they even bothered to port it when I rented it. It lost (understandably now that I understand the tech) claymation graphics which were like 100% of the charm of that game.

Timu

Trog actually came to NES. As someone who loved the arcade game as a kid, I was disappointed that they even bothered to port it when I rented it. It lost (understandably now that I understand the tech) claymation graphics which were like 100% of the charm of that game.
It also came out on MS-DOS which kept the claymation graphics thankfully.

Double fail, Trog was on NES and Time Traveller on interactive DVD.

In people's defense, though, it's hard to keep track of/know which arcade titles have made it onto consoles, especially the more obscure titles/consoles. Speaking of which, anyone know if Lightning Fighters ever made it onto console. That was a great 2d shooter by Konami back in the days.

Timu

In people's defense, though, it's hard to keep track of/know which arcade titles have made it onto consoles, especially the more obscure titles/consoles. Speaking of which, anyone know if Lightning Fighters ever made it onto console. That was a great 2d shooter by Konami back in the days.
Google and Wiki helps out with that. It's what I use for all games.

And Lightning Fighters is arcade exclusive, so no console versions.

Every time i ran into one of those Sega Hologram machines the little wooden blocks were always broken off.

There was also a fighting game that used the same tech, Holosseum

1181242122212.jpg

hlcabinet.jpg

It was super bare bones though, and outside of the novelty wasn't really worth much attention in the days of SF2 and MK2.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Every time i ran into one of those Sega Hologram machines the little wooden blocks were always broken off.

There was also a fighting game that used the same tech, Holosseum

1181242122212.jpg

hlcabinet.jpg

It was super bare bones though, and outside of the novelty wasn't really worth much attention in the days of SF2 and MK2.

What is the block for?

ultrazilla

I love this thread! The nostalgia! The good old days of gaming!

This is why I so wanted that Retro game console that was going to be dedicated to old and new 8-32 bit games. So sad that never went anywhere because of the shady stuff behind the scenes.

I still think a new cartridge/thumbstick drive based "Retro" console that is dedicated to the eras of 8-32 bit gaming would be awesome.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
It doesn't, but funny enough the arcade's game stages are bonus games in the SNES version.
Huh. Well I'll be damned. Didn't know that.

Still, those stages don't exactly do a good job emulating the experience.

But moving on, how about those Virtuality games back during the first wave of VR?

I can't find many good images of the games designed around these systems, so you'll have to make do with video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L60wgPuuDpE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP8wSw4bBuA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Imyn6QSq9s

Is there any of these still out there and working?

b3b0p

Huh. Well I'll be damned. Didn't know that.

Still, those stages don't exactly do a good job emulating the experience.

But moving on, how about those Virtuality games back during the first wave of VR?

I can't find many good images of the games designed around these systems, so you'll have to make do with video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L60wgPuuDpE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP8wSw4bBuA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Imyn6QSq9s

Is there any of these still out there and working?

I remember seeing these at Mall of America when it first opened. They were like $20+ to play.

What a frustrating thread to look through. So many unreleased beat 'em ups, and that's one of my favorite genres. Both Capcom and Konami have a fantastic catalog of unreleased BEU's that would be perfect for todays digital markets.

Timu

What a frustrating thread to look through. So many unreleased beat 'em ups, and that's one of my favorite genres. Both Capcom and Konami have a fantastic catalog of unreleased BEU's that would be perfect for todays digital markets.
Yep, all of these should had been on consoles.

Top Bottom