• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Jackson said:
Edison Yan.

Check out his work in our other game releasing this Fall -- "Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter" (DS)

drawn-to-life-the-next-chapter-20090527004222955.jpg

Hand animated by Paul Robertson.

Tell congrats to Edison Yan, its an incredible artwork what he did with post 217.

And thanks also for the awesome wallpaper. ;)

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Congrats to your team and you, Jackson! You deserve it.

New image, now with varia suit Samus.
2wof5lf.jpg

And this avatar is fro MetroidKiller:
a2qlc3.jpg

I hope you like it ;)

Whats keeping those from appearing in the game?jackson can always find other non copy-righted words to evoke these....

edit:lets say if i type space woman then samus will appear, and if i type space woman zero, maybe zero suit samus will appear...theres always ways to get around the copy right issue.....

justchris

Shrinnan said:
If you think I really expected Jackson to give me concept art of Jack Bauer (my reason for doing this: look at Jackson's avatar) in Scribblenauts form then someone can't take a joke. I was mainly commenting on the cool looking robot and the fact that certain words can bypass the copyright problem (barbarian looking like Conan and so forth).

That is how fair use laws work.

If they put "Conan" in the game, and typing it summoned Conan, that is copyright violation.
If they put "Barbarian" in the game, and typing it summons a barbarian who just happens to look like Conan, that is parody, and is covered under fair use.

I was away from GAF for a while, and when I left this thread was like 5 pages long. Glad to see this game getting the praise and recognition it deserves.

b.e.r.g

laserbeam said:
Preorder bonus :O
But... those things never work over here :( I could "preorder" a copy here in Norway too, but it aint going to be more than a post-it under the counter with my name on it :/

Bluemercury said:
Whats keeping those from appearing in the game?jackson can always find other non copy-righted words to evoke these....

edit:lets say if i type space woman then samus will appear, and if i type space woman zero, maybe zero suit samus will appear...theres always ways to get around the copy right issue.....

Maybe Jackson can add Ridley as an easter egg by putting him as the name of his species. SPACE DRAGON.

Samus is more difficult though. At leats maybe if you put ZERO SUIT only, Samus in the Zero Suit will appear, I dont think Zero Suit is a copyright word (although Zero Suit Samus is).

Brannon

Mt. St. Helens.
Vesuvius.
Krakatoa.
Everest.
Olympus Mons.

Can they really differentiate between different mountains and volcanoes? And will certain volcanoes be more powerful than others (Krakatoa just... blew the hell up)?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Brannon said:
Mt. St. Helens.
Vesuvius.
Krakatoa.
Everest.
Olympus Mons.

Can they really differentiate between different mountains and volcanoes? And will certain volcanoes be more powerful than others (Krakatoa just... blew the hell up)?

Aren't those all proper nouns?

b.e.r.g

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Maybe Jackson can add Ridley as an easter egg by putting him as the name of his species. SPACE DRAGON.

Samus is more difficult though. At leats maybe if you put ZERO SUIT only, Samus in the Zero Suit will appear, I dont think Zero Suit is a copyright word (although Zero Suit Samus is).
I think copyrights go further than just the names tbh. Spawning Conan as a barbarian is one thing, since it could really be any barbarian, but Zero Suit Samus is Zero Suit Samus.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
b.e.r.g said:
But... those things never work over here :( I could "preorder" a copy here in Norway too, but it aint going to be more than a post-it under the counter with my name on it :/
Maybe you can ask him to include it as a poster inside the box, behind the manual ;)

b.e.r.g said:
I think copyrights go further than just the names tbh. Spawning Conan as a barbarian is one thing, since it could really be any barbarian, but Zero Suit Samus is Zero Suit Samus.

Not if i type space woman zero.

Eteric Rice

b.e.r.g said:

What about "Space Bounty Hunter?" :D

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Jackson said:
IMG]http://5thcell.com/post217.png[/IMG]

Present time! :D

I'll get some larger wallpaper sized ones up later tonight.
Sweeet! Can't wait for wallpaper sized.

Brannon

This whole trying to stump Scribblenauts dealy is tougher than it looks. But hold on...

tri-nitro-toluene (remembers the TNT video)... wait...

predator (without the capital 'P'). No, no, as it is, it's too etheral; anything can be a predator if it eats another animal.

bullhoa-NO.

Niacin? Now we're getting somewhere.

Azathioprine? They did say they were checking job-specific word lists and dictionaries. This may actually be in there.

duodenum! It's a regular word in the dictionary; would a body part that's not vulgar be in it? With that said; appendix. It shall have the appendix I no longer have :(

or :) depending.

Feep

Banned
Jackson said:
post217.png

Holy fucking shit.

This is awesome.

Jackson, thanks so much. Like it wasn't enough for the post to be included with the game, then we get this. You rock, man.

Edit: Holy shit, I have a sweet tag now, too! Yahoo!

Linkhero1

GDGF said:
Isn't that a pokemon? Sounds like a Blastoise mixed with a Venusaur :lol

No copyrighted stuff.
Well yeah it is, but can't they just mix a turtle with some sort of dinosaur and call it something similar. :p :lol

Ventron

Jokey665 said:
One has a speech bubble with "braaaaaaaains" in it, the other with "ciiiiiiiircuits."

What's the difference between a politician and a zombie?
One of them needs brains. The other is a zombie.

I'm so sorry.

pulga

Banned
I think I've said this like 4 times already in this thread, but we should seriously elect Jackson and 5th Cell has the governing entity of the universe. This is one HELL of a fan service they're delivering to us. Thanks Jackson and 5th Cell!

And congrats on the tag Feep, about time the mods got off their asses!

justchris

b.e.r.g said:

You are correct. A resemblance is one thing, an obvious ripoff is another. There's kind of a gray area there, and a lot of it depends on the company. Nintendo is very protective of their IP, so its probably not worth the risk unless they run it by NCL first.

Jackson said:
IMGpost217.png/IMG

Holy shit, incredible.

batbeg

I... I think I love Jackson. <3

Seriously, the kind of support and friendliness you show to the game community is unprecedented, as far as I can tell. You guys really are something incredible, and are as much of a breath of fresh air as your games are. 5th Cell forever!

FSLink

Banned
Patiently awaiting wallpaper. :D
I'm going to tell everyone I know about this game, and if I have some spare money, buy them copies if they can't afford it.

tabsina

Jackson, sorry if you have answered this before, but should we in Australia be expecting this at the same time as Europe/USA (fall) or should i plan to preorder from overseas?

Blizzard

Banned
Eltacoman said:
I didn't say "wow."
Eltacoman said:
No God of War or Heavy Rain? Fail.
Eltacoman said:
"Originally Posted by Tobor:
Your avatar is fucking disgusting. Ugh."

You're a pussy.

"Originally Posted by AniHawk:
No, this is the "Best of E3" awards."

Exactly why they should be in there. Not some fucking little cute ds game that my 3 year old will play.
Eltacoman said:
Ugh this shit is pissing me off. Microsoft just focus on what you're best at: The Halo crowd. Stop trying to make all this bullshit to get the "casual gamers" nintendos already doing that just stop. please.
I'm sorry you don't like the game. I think it has enough depth to appeal to adults as well as children. But like the guy above said...maybe other threads are better for you. =(

Sure, the game looks unbelievably clever and ambitious but I find it interesting how much praise the fine gentleman here is getting when after all, why wouldn't he spend a lot of time on a forum that by itself made his really cool game go from "kind of neat" to "most hyped game of the year"??????

It's just great business sense.

The game will sell billions and deserves it.

Top Bottom