• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Meesh

I had no idea what the heck was going on with this "Scribblenauts" untill I saw the vids...so damn amazing!!! Then I saw the avatars, and was a little let down you couldn't create a character, but when this games sounds so good it doesn't matter. Day1.

And if SpacePirate Ridley isn't completely swamped with requests already, I'd kill for an Aliens one. :D

b.e.r.g

Evilink said:
I had no idea what the heck was going on with this "Scribblenauts" untill I saw the vids...so damn amazing!!! Then I saw the avatars, and was a little let down you couldn't create a character, but when this games sounds so good it doesn't matter. Day1.

And if SpacePirate Ridley isn't completely swamped with requests already, I'd kill for an Aliens one. :D
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366532

I think there's atleast 250 people in front of you :p

Jackson said:
Sure. More info will be coming :) Don't worry about that.

I hope so! Feels like nothing new has happened since E3...I'm starved for some Scribblenauts!

Also, you guys should really give your official site an overhaul, haha. It still says the 2nd trailer is "coming soon"!

Leezard

Shiine said:
Hi Jackson, will the Swedish version of the game have Swedish "and" English language? Or only the Swedish?
Wait. Has it been confirmed that the Swedish version will have Swedish language?

b.e.r.g said:
Hehe, that's kinda cool. Hope you can chose though. And I hope they don't pull a "dubblare" and give us norwegians the swede version aswell. It happens, and it's ok when your just suppose to read it, but I could never play Scribblenauts in swedish :p

It's also in norwegian :D

ONM won't be giving out any info until the end of the week due to an embargo. I assume Edge has similar constraints.

Curse you, 5TH Cell, though I guess I should be cursing WB. I don't even get PREVIEW embargoes. Who or what is that protecting?

Jackson

SirPenguin said:
ONM won't be giving out any info until the end of the week due to an embargo. I assume Edge has similar constraints.

Curse you, 5TH Cell, though I guess I should be cursing WB. I don't even get PREVIEW embargoes. Who or what is that protecting?

http://twitter.com/edgeonline

Edge is doing some twitters on the game, talking about what's in the game. :lol

Embargoes protect the sites/mags, etc. Because otherwise someone could get their copy first and thus scoop other places. That's no good!

Jackson said:

Edge is doing some twitters on the game, talking about what's in the game. :lol

Embargoes protect the sites/mags, etc. Because otherwise someone could get their copy first and thus scoop other places. That's no good!

Oh really? That's actually pretty interesting to know. I wasn't being sarcastic in my question, because I really did want to know the point of them. I guess that makes a lot of sense.

Edge's Twitter is pretty interesting. I love that a random bird someone suggested helped solve a puzzle.

Blizzard

Banned
That's nice, but I presume they didn't check valkyrie again?

And what's more, it sounds like a bunch of random character vs. character matches got done. Those may already be kind of random (pirate beats ninja, another report says ninja beats pirate?), plus I would really rather see stuff like "Can you use your Gordon Freeman crowbar to tip over a tall, heavy tower, or only to hit enemies?"

Of course, I'm writing from the ignorant perspective of not having seen any video yet, if there's video on the Edge site. I'll check info later if I can find it.

It seems both Edge and ONM are under preview embargoes until Friday, so all they can do is slip some information our way. Instead of telling us about puzzles or whatever they tell us little tidbits of who is in and who is powerful and such.

If you want them to check Valkyrie you should give them a tweet.

MNC

SirPenguin said:
So is Official Nintendo Magazine of the UK. They're even taking suggestions of words to try and "stump" the game with on their twitter. Check it out:

http://twitter.com/onm_uk

Seismometer." If Scribblenauts has that in it then it is officially the greatest game ever made." Looks like it is then.

Jackson

GDGF said:
I wonder if a Knight with a bazooka would beat a dragon.

Somehow, I think it would :)

Right, exactly. The game isn't cut and dry where X beats Y always without exception. It's all about experimentation.

Also on an unrelated note... Hi Gamefaqs people! I read your posts too! I just don't have an account there. :)

jrricky

Banned
Jackson said:
Right, exactly. The game isn't cut and dry where X beats Y always without exception. It's all about experimentation.

Also on an unrelated note... Hi Gamefaqs people! I read your posts too! I just don't have an account there. :)
hi Jeremiah, old buddy, old pal...how is my GOTF coming along? Friends at gamestop have been talking this game up.

Hootie

SirPenguin said:
Orc beats elf.

Dragon beats orc.

Dragon beats knight.

Dragon beats astronaut.

Tank beats dragon

TankBeatsEverything.jpg

Tank beats Ghost… tank beats Hunter… tank beats everything!

I like the progression. Dragon is on top of the world eating astronauts and knights. Then comes the big guns.

Though like Jackson said, I'm not sure why so many people like the "person a vs. person b". It's MUCH more interesting to give them weapons and such and then see the outcome

Azure J

This game just keeps on sounding more and more awesome the more I read on it. The interactions in the game alone make me come back every time and go, "what the fuck, how did they get that to work?" :lol

Jackson, you and your guys have really crafted something amazing.

Kilroy

Jackson, do you know how many languages the game will be translated to? Seeing as apparently both Norway and Sweden gets their own versions, I'm getting kind of curious:)

Nocebo

People are still doing the X vs Y thing? jeez, closet pokemen confirmed. :p The other aspects of the game are far more interesting.

I got my latest Nintendo Power today. Scribblenauts showed up twice: First in a letter asking if sword + vegetables = salad, and then in their E3 section, in which they basically reworded Post #217.

Just saw the the ESRB rated the game...

Scribblenauts
Platform: Nintendo DS
Rating: Everyone 10+
Content descriptors: Cartoon Violence, Comic Mischief

Rating summary: This is a puzzle game in which players navigate a series of traps, puzzles, and enemies to collect stars scattered throughout the colorful levels. Players have the ability to summon different objects by writing/typing in the word (e.g., bike, spaceship, lion) and watching it come to life. If multiple words are entered in a sequence, different whimsical scenarios can be triggered: a bicycle can be used to jump over a baby; a bulldozer can clear away a shark; and cabbage can be fed to dinosaurs. Players can elect to summon "cartoony" versions of bats, bombs, guns, and flamethrowers. These types of items can be used to destroy objects or even other summoned items (e.g., a club can be used to hit an animal; steak can be attached to a baby to attract lions; rockets can be lobbed at a man). These triggered animations are minimally depicted and are usually accompanied by popping, musical sound effects; bright, star-shaped flashes; or small puffs of smoke. If players wish to, they may type in the word vomit, which causes a beige-colored lump to appear on the screen.

:lol :lol

AusGamer has seemingly confirmed unlockable "avatars and other customization tools"

http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/2762245

"Rewards will come in the form of in-game currency to buy new avatars and other customisation tools"

Hmm. What do you think that means? I already wrote my thoughts on the matter here, but I'm very intrigued to see what an "avatar" consists of. Are we talking a new costume or an entirely different Scribblenaut? And what exactly can we customize ourselves?

Intriguing!

Blizzard

Banned
xfactor said:
Don't source from his blog, he has link protection.

Edison Yan: http://ushio18.blogspot.com/

And I'm not sure he's -the- official artist, but he's at least one artist, and he's the one who did the Post 217 picture. And he's worked/working on Drawn to Life and Drawn to Life 2 game art if I recall correctly. And of course those are just fan art and I doubt they'd be in the game, just in case you were implying that. :p

Jackson

Blizzard said:

And I'm not sure he's -the- official artist, but he's at least one artist, and he's the one who did the Post 217 picture. And he's worked/working on Drawn to Life and Drawn to Life 2 game art if I recall correctly. And of course those are just fan art and I doubt they'd be in the game, just in case you were implying that. :p

yes, Edison is -the- official artist... he's the guy who worked with me to create the look for the game. He's worked on all 5TH Cell games.

These characters not in the game, no do they have anything to do with Scribblenauts, WB or 5TH Cell -- this is his just personal blog (he's a street fighter fanboi :p).

xfactor

Banned
Blizzard said:

Thanks for the notification :p

What I was trying to say is that he's the official artist working on the game, but those characters which he drew and uploaded on his blog are not in the game due to obvious reason.

Top Bottom