• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Puffles

Banned
SirPenguin said:
I'm sure exactly 0% of that impression is true. Looks like something you'd find on GameFAQs

To be fair, what's to stop me from having Maxwell put on a SCHOOLGIRL UNIFORM, JESUS put on a BELT, using GLUE to attach a STICK CANDY to the BELT, and then having Maxwell "use" or "interact with" the STICK CANDY?

New video impressions. I'm lazy so I'll just copy my blog impressions

http://g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/blo...8&cmpid=so-0907-twitterattackoftheshow-697868

Items seen:

-Xray
-Treasure (produces a diamond)
-Kleptomaniac (actually STEALS the diamond from Maxwell, then attacks him. Incredible)
-Hoverboard (dramatic reenactments of Back to the Future: CONFIRMED)
-Loch Ness Monster
-Ark of the Covenant. I can't believe they wasted time of the video trying a item that obviously would not work. What in the hell.
-Just "ark" works, though, which is cool. Start tossing some animals on that bitch
-Keyboard Cat...oh good...well, Keyboard Cat plays him off.

So nothing too special. The coolest part was easily the klepto stealing the item and the fact hoverboard exists. I do kinda wish these people would stop making these types of videos...they really seem so basic compared to stuff we've seen. But oh well! More word confirmation and cool interactions are always welcome.

Edit ^^^

I get the feeling he already tried it and it didn't work, which is why he did just Xray so they didn't have a "Fail" on camera. I mean, why else wouldn't he at least try?

Puffles said:
To be fair, what's to stop me from having Maxwell put on a SCHOOLGIRL UNIFORM, JESUS put on a BELT, using GLUE to attach a STICK CANDY to the BELT, and then having Maxwell "use" or "interact with" the STICK CANDY?

Well, I guess those interactions might be possible. But the Jesus thing, E for Everyone logo, and the last part with the dog (...) all sound horribly made up. And it's just a random blog comment, so I'm not very inclined to believe them

Puffles

Banned
I wonder why he was so damn sure of himself that XRAY GLASSES wouldn't be in the game. THERMAL GOGGLES and NIGHT VISION both are...

You are devious!

Well rock on, then. Glad to see that's in. Now we can all make fun of the previewer for being an idiot and not trying it!

WowBaby

I wonder if I can re-enact scenes from my teenage years.....like the time when my little brother wouldn't get out of the clothes dryer at the laundromat, so I put the quarter in...:lol

GDGF

Soothsayer
WowBaby said:
I wonder if I can re-enact scenes from my teenage years.....like the time when my little brother wouldn't get out of the clothes dryer at the laundromat, so I put the quarter in...:lol

That reminds me a little of Beavis & Butthead washin' the dog. Washin' the dog.

I'm going to try that (in game of course)

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
OK I just saw the GT movie where they used a neogaf symbol and a time machine at the end. The game keeps raising the bar of GGOAT every time I see it. This better start a franchise that expands to the consoles or else I will have no hope for the future of gaming.

That Max crayon wiiware game gets an honorable mention for mixing crayon physics deluxe with a puzzle/platformer.

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/07/you-helped-me-play-scribblenauts/

“Chewing gum” gave me a pre-chewed wad of stickiness. “Propeller hat” gave me a regular hat. Slightly disappointed, yet undeterred, I put the hat on my avatar. I then attached the chewing gum to the hat. Certain objects can be stuck on or attached to others, you see. I typed in “Propeller” and attached the propeller to the chewing gum stuck to my hat.

My avatar immediately flew into the air. Yes, Scribblenauts lets you make your own propeller hat.

GDGF

Soothsayer
SmellyWaffles said:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/07/you-helped-me-play-scribblenauts/Chewing gum” gave me a pre-chewed wad of stickiness. “Propeller hat” gave me a regular hat. Slightly disappointed, yet undeterred, I put the hat on my avatar. I then attached the chewing gum to the hat. Certain objects can be stuck on or attached to others, you see. I typed in “Propeller” and attached the propeller to the chewing gum stuck to my hat.

My avatar immediately flew into the air. Yes, Scribblenauts lets you make your own propeller hat.

Those damn Zombie fanboys will never be able to stand up to the might of my propeller driven gatling gun armed flying oxen. Never.

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
btw here's something strange. Today, GameSpot listed what they call the "company line" for Scribblenauts (presumably a press release from Warner Bros.), which looks like the standard description of the game we've seen thus far... except for one sentence.

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/puzzle/s...=convert&om_clk=gsupdates&tag=updates;title;1

Thousands of in-game items available in game, but which must be acquired wirelessly from different hot spots, making this the new standard in mobile gaming.

Now, right off the bat I know this isn't true. Requiring wifi to play? That's absolutely ridiculous. But the people on the GameSpot forum seem to believe it's true and are rather pissed off about it.

How did this nonsense work its way into the official description? I mean, it's on the game's Amazon listing now, too!

GDGF

Soothsayer
SmellyWaffles said:
btw here's something strange. Today, GameSpot listed what they call the "company line" for Scribblenauts (presumably a press release from Warner Bros.), which looks like the standard description of the game we've seen thus far... except for one sentence.

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/puzzle/s...=convert&om_clk=gsupdates&tag=updates;title;1

Now, right off the bat I know this isn't true. Requiring wifi to play? That's absolutely ridiculous. But the people on the GameSpot forum seem to believe it's true and are rather pissed off about it.

How did this nonsense work its way into the official description? I mean, it's on the game's Amazon listing now, too!

Hey Jackson, need a new copywriter? :lol

o0achilles0o

Neo Member
SmellyWaffles said:

That looks like the description of "Treasure World" - another DS "game" where the whole point is wardriving in the real world to collect items in the game. Looks like someone needs a slap on the wrist.

toonhead2

Neo Member
SmellyWaffles said:

That's madness!

Blizzard

Banned
o0achilles0o said:
That looks like the description of "Treasure World" - another DS "game" where the whole point is wardriving in the real world to collect items in the game. Looks like someone needs a slap on the wrist.
That sounds like precisely what happened, and I can only hope it's fixed soon. o_O

SmellyWaffles said:

Hmm. That's worrisome. I googled the phrase hoping to find a game (Like Treasure World) with a similar description, but I only get Scribblenauts results, presumably by the press release.

I do hope this is a mistake.

Edit: Seems like Gamestop wasn't the first one to pick this up.

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2009/07/20/scribblenauts-release-date-is-september-15-2009.htm

That article has the same line, dated July 20th.

I'll make the assumption this was a mistake caused by one website or source and it has since spread.

http://www.vooks.net/story-18265-Interview-5TH-Cell-on-Scribblenauts.html

Cool interview! Of note...

Vooks: The game has received a lot of positive buzz following its showing at E3. Has the increased attention to the game influenced the final stages of development?

JMT: We were in the final weeks of development around the time of E3, so we definitely had some limitations on the scope of changes that we could make. E3 was the first time we had unrestricted public access to the title, and there was consistent feedback on some of the controls, and particular objects that we found valuable, and made some last minute changes. June was a crazy month for us, but we love our fans, so we did what we could.

Vooks: Where did you draw the line at what would be included in the game? Obviously swear words and trademarks are out, but where does it just get ridiculous?

JMT: I think we paused once while going through a list of chemical formulas, but then just continued on. Chlorinated Diphenyl Oxide anyone? We put everything in, miniscule or not, and while I’m sure there are a few obscure words we missed, we never passed on a word that fit the nothing vulgar / copyrighted / trademarked / proper noun criteria.

Vooks: How much of a nightmare was it to play-test a game with a seemingly unlimited number of possible items and interactions creatable by the player?

JMT: Testing was a challenge, but because the game revolves around systems, we tested the systems more so then the individual objects. If the system functioned, then theoretically the objects contained within the systems should work fine. This wasn’t always the case, but we ran into fewer problems then we initially expected. Most of the issues had to do with several special case objects that didn’t quite fit into a specific high level system

Jackson

SmellyWaffles said:

No this is true! This is the final big reveal of Scribblenauts!

We've changed Scribblenauts to now require you to first be in the range of the word.
If you want to type elephant you need to be within 15 feet of a real elephant. Don't worry we've hired 1000s of people called "Scribble Friends" to attached RFID chips to everything in the world. Hence we couldn't do proper nouns because we couldn't get permission to include all those people. Your pet though? Your car? Your house? Already been tagged! We're ninja like that!

Ya I have no idea where that info came from lol

Puffles

Banned
Jackson said:

We've changed Scribblenauts to now require you to first be in the range of the word.
If you want to type elephant you need to be within 15 feet of a real elephant. Don't worry we've hired 1000s of people called "Scribble Friends" to attached RFID chips to everything in the world. Hence we couldn't do proper nouns because we couldn't get permission to include all those people. Your pet though? Your car? Your house? Already been tagged! We're ninja like that!

Hahaha! I haven't laughed at a forum post that much in a while! :lol

Vitet

I have a question for Jackson, anglicisms like longcat or keyboard cat will be translated in the non-english versions? Because there are no such things as "gatolargo" o "el gato teclado" in spanish :lol

Jackson said:

Careful! Gamespot might quote you on this :lol

webrunner

Jackson said:

I'm guessing they confused Scribblenauts with Treasure World, which is a DS game where you... get items by being in range of wi-fi hotspots, exactly as it says on the site.

Blizzard

Banned
:lol at Jackson's post. Where on earth am I going to find a real live T-Rex so I can use it in the game! :lol

Also, it's nice to hear that they were in the final stages of development and did a big June rush...DIDN'T I CALL THAT BASED ON A COUPLE OF TWITTER REMARKS? :p
I’m sure there are a few obscure words we missed, we never passed on a word that fit the nothing vulgar / copyrighted / trademarked / proper noun criteria.
Chemical formulas are in there but not pitons. Next you'll be telling me there are no ringbolts or carabiners. :( :( :(

ombz

SirPenguin said:
New video impressions. I'm lazy so I'll just copy my blog impressions

http://g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/blo...8&cmpid=so-0907-twitterattackoftheshow-697868

Items seen:

-Xray
-Treasure (produces a diamond)
-Kleptomaniac (actually STEALS the diamond from Maxwell, then attacks him. Incredible)
-Hoverboard (dramatic reenactments of Back to the Future: CONFIRMED)
-Loch Ness Monster
-Ark of the Covenant. I can't believe they wasted time of the video trying a item that obviously would not work. What in the hell.
-Just "ark" works, though, which is cool. Start tossing some animals on that bitch
-Keyboard Cat...oh good...well, Keyboard Cat plays him off.

So nothing too special. The coolest part was easily the klepto stealing the item and the fact hoverboard exists. I do kinda wish these people would stop making these types of videos...they really seem so basic compared to stuff we've seen. But oh well! More word confirmation and cool interactions are always welcome.
I guess Ark of the Covenant is too religious.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
JMT: I think we paused once while going through a list of chemical formulas, but then just continued on. Chlorinated Diphenyl Oxide anyone? We put everything in, miniscule or not, and while I’m sure there are a few obscure words we missed, we never passed on a word that fit the nothing vulgar / copyrighted / trademarked / proper noun criteria.
Oh....my god. My best friend and I are huge chemistry buffs, so we were joking about this game.
"Yeah, we should type in dimethyl acetate, see if that comes up"
Completely joking of course, never expecting crap like that would actually be IN THE FREAKIN GAME!

I mean, I seriously doubt the reactions will work. They'll probably just be generic clouds of gas or puddles of liquid. But still...

xfactor

Banned
Jackson said:

Now we just need 1 gullible idiot who can't tell a serious sentence and a sarcasm sentence apart to pick up this post and blow the hell out

Jackson said:

Bwahahahahah

Jackson said:

If you want to type elephant you need to be within 15 feet of a real elephant.

Jackson just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about the Scribblenauts culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in REAL life where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Scribblenauts, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is summon keyboard cat and play yourself off.

KScorp

Jackson said:

You must be extreme ninjas to be able to tag a black hole. And God. And Death...

s0wsiu.jpg

faridmon

SirPenguin said:
best Magazine cover ever. Edge, take notice.

*sigh*, although I hate their reviews and the way the worship Nintendo (seriously, they act like 10 years old fanboy who doesn't know his left from right), am going to get the magazine.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
faridmon said:
best Magazine cover ever. Edge, take notice.

*sigh*, although I hate their reviews and the way the worship Nintendo (seriously, they act like 10 years old fanboy who doesn't know his left from right), am going to get the magazine.

NP's been surprisingly good with criticism and scores in the past few years.

As far as I know he's ALL yours.

I'll probably never change my avatar for as long as I have an account somewhere on the internet. I'm so happy with it.

Top Bottom