• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scrolls Beta Thread: On my Beard ! Not the Elder ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZMitch

I was thinking something like this could work well.

Are there any good rules of thumb for what the max deck size should be (if there's a limit)? I guess you want to keep it as close to 50 as possible to make things less random. Also, are there any good rules of thumb for what percentage of your deck should be creatures so you don't find yourself stuck with spells?

You can only have 3 of each type of card. Order seems pretty strong to me if you can get a general or two out surrounded by soldiers. Usually with energy I am very slow to get setup, so if the enemy gets a few soldiers out early I can't wipe them out fast enough to prevent their health from growing and a general from showing up in the middle.

Thanks for the tips! I think I will give order a shot, that kind of play seems right up my ally. Will probably buy this soon. I would always keep decks as low as possible in number.

These are two screenies i took of the store. The only thing you can pay real money for in terms of Scrolls in a starter deck and one of the 6 weekly 'deals'. The rest are just cosmetic avatars. You can only buy 1 of those weekly deals each as they get 'sold out' so you can't buy heaps of them.

The 'deals' are often pretty crappy. All six of mine cost about double the gold you can get the cards for in trade chat. It might be worthwhile if there's a really hard to find rare for sale.

I made a growth+order deck that's pretty fun to play and beats the medium AI free, but does pretty bad against the hard AI, especially if they use energy. It's a bunch of small creatures so a quake or thunder surge is basically game over.

Blizzard

Banned
It feels difficult to know what you "should" charge in trade chat though, since that reddit page that listed prices then had people responding stuff like "come on, you and I both know this is wrong, IM me and I will tell you what all the right prices are" and potentially other spreadsheets.

Unless there were somehow a central semi-official source that everyone can agree on, prices may be weird.

It feels difficult to know what you "should" charge in trade chat though, since that reddit page that listed prices then had people responding stuff like "come on, you and I both know this is wrong, IM me and I will tell you what all the right prices are" and potentially other spreadsheets.

Unless there were somehow a central semi-official source that everyone can agree on, prices may be weird.

That price sheet's a pretty good guideline, and you can look at the prices people advertise in trade chat to see trends. I've bought a couple dozen cards within about 10% of those reddit prices. The absolute top-end cards are worth a bit more than that though due to demand. I wouldn't part with a Kinfolk Brave for 1000 right now.

Blizzard

Banned
And that's maybe part of the problem -- which sheet? The reddit thread list, or the spreadsheet posted further on in the thread? Or further adjustments by people? If we could link to and agree on one maybe we can go with that. :p

I encountered some Braves for the first time yesterday. They are very mean.

And that's maybe part of the problem -- which sheet? The reddit thread list, or the spreadsheet posted further on in the thread? Or further adjustments by people? If we could link to and agree on one maybe we can go with that. :p

I encountered some Braves for the first time yesterday. They are very mean.

The main reddit post. I hadn't seen the recent updates, looks like some cards are going up. As of yesterday I hadn't had any trouble buying at the old prices. If enough sellers treat the list as gospel you can buy at that price regardless.

Blizzard

Banned
The main reddit post. I hadn't seen the recent updates, looks like some cards are going up. As of yesterday I hadn't had any trouble buying at the old prices. If enough sellers treat the list as gospel you can buy at that price regardless.
Could you remind me of the link so we could put it in the OP then? I failed at finding it on Google yesterday since it seemed like Reddit was filtered out of search results.

Just got a Kinfolk Brave and Quake back to back from two random Growth scrolls, looking at those prices seems like I was hella lucky. Probably gunna make up for it by getting nothing but Junkyards from now on.

I've played a handful of games so far, and I really enjoy the added strategy of the hex grid combat. There's something super satisfying about being in a bad situation, but through good use of moving units around and paying close attention to cooldowns, pulling through.

Blizzard

Banned
The junkyard card didn't make sense to me since I thought it mentioned rats, and I hadn't ever seen a rat card. If it applies to rabbits then that makes more sense. :p

Overall, I don't regret purchasing the game and I think it will improve, but I do get the sense that it could do better in alpha at $15 or so rather than $20. It's just a little bit up there for the amount of content, the single battlefield, and so forth.

That said, even with the limited field and cards that currently exist, it's impressive how relatively balanced the game SEEMS. People may have been complaining about all three decks being too powerful, which tends to be a sign of things actually being balanced.

I assume the pink triangle will be the symbol for decay since I saw it in a help screen somewhere.

The junkyard card didn't make sense to me since I thought it mentioned rats, and I hadn't ever seen a rat card. If it applies to rabbits then that makes more sense. :p

Overall, I don't regret purchasing the game and I think it will improve, but I do get the sense that it could do better in alpha at $15 or so rather than $20. It's just a little bit up there for the amount of content, the single battlefield, and so forth.

That said, even with the limited field and cards that currently exist, it's impressive how relatively balanced the game SEEMS. People may have been complaining about all three decks being too powerful, which tends to be a sign of things actually being balanced.

I assume the pink triangle will be the symbol for decay since I saw it in a help screen somewhere.

Beast Rat is the only rat creature. I don't think rat decks are too viable yet.

Edit: I've just barely amassed over 50 order cards now without buying the starter. I'm gonna throw them all in a deck and see how bad it is.

TheExodu5

Banned
Growth is so grossly overpowered right now. I think I might just shelf this until it gets some balance changes.

Doesn't matter how I play my energy deck. Growth can get out mana faster and can bring out creatures faster than I can kill them, regardless of what I draw. Add the fact that they have plenty of haste creatures, +2 attack to all for 2 mana, -2 cooldown to all for 5 mana...it's just far too frustrating to play against.

If I had Thundersurges and 3 Hellspitters I might stand a chance.

Thundersurge wrecks growth pretty bad.

Haha, I found someone selling Kinfolk Brave in the trade chat for 300. I snatched that and traded it to someone else for 600 + Speed.

Totakeke

Generally, Order > Growth, and Energy > Order is what I'm experiencing. I'm playing Order.

Of course, you always get that occasional matchup where someone has a really good decks and none of that matters.

garath

Click Join Chat in the bottom left. If the "trading" channel is full type in "trading-2" for the channel name.

Weird. Thought I tried that and it was empty. Maybe server problems at the time. I had a bug today where every time I was supposed to get a card draw it only happened AFTER I hit end turn. Beta :)

Blizzard

Banned
Where's the trade chat?
Bottom left corner of chat window, click join chat and there should be a list of rooms with Trading. If it's full, then you can manually type in a name like "Trading-2".

Weird. Thought I tried that and it was empty. Maybe server problems at the time. I had a bug today where every time I was supposed to get a card draw it only happened AFTER I hit end turn. Beta :)

I was mega-beaten, but yes if it looks empty that actually means the room was full, try Trading-2.

Gurrry

Ive gotten a lot better since I got the game. I finally figured out the strategy with Growth and now my "Wolf DOMINANCE" deck is wrecking people.

I was saving up for a pre-con Energy because I really like the spells.

But damn.. dat Growth is kinda godlike.

CzarTim

It seems like decks that are unit-heavy are favorable. The spells/enchantments are often too situational or weak to make up for just flat out overwhelming your opponent. There are a few exceptions, of course, but it makes building a good deck difficult until you unlock enough cards to have options.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So after saying I wasn't interested, I watched TB's videos and did a 180 and picked it up. It's pretty good. Went with Order for my starter faction cause they look the closest to blue in MTG.

So far Growth decks are giving me the most grief with Energy going down pretty easily.

Achtius

wtftoolong_zps4083f77b.png

This trial (death from above) took WAY too long.
Only won cuz of Faith chain.. and all they have are basically catapult.

In that trial they put nothing but structures and catapult style units on every row except one, which made it impossible for 'em to win. When I noticed this, I saved up enough resources and drew enough cards to put down 3 lanes worth of units at once and buff em. Took about 3 round to win from there.

NIN90

This might be a silly question, but what faction would be most suited to form a control deck like in MTG?

Draxal

It seems like decks that are unit-heavy are favorable. The spells/enchantments are often too situational or weak to make up for just flat out overwhelming your opponent. There are a few exceptions, of course, but it makes building a good deck difficult until you unlock enough cards to have options.

Ya, that's what I noticed too, most of the spells in this game are garbage, they need to make it so the weaker spells draw a card after you play them. Otherwise the majority of aren't worth the card space.

This might be a silly question, but what faction would be most suited to form a control deck like in MTG?

Order. They have spells to unsummon creatures back to their owner's hand. But the other two factions have their own ways of attaining board control.

Energy achieves board control by using direct damage spells on enemy creatures and putting out artillery units that threaten large portions of the board.

Growth achieves board control by swarming creatures and summoning hasted creatures to take out whatever the opponent has played.

Ya, that's what I noticed too, most of the spells in this game are garbage, they need to make it so the weaker spells draw a card after you play them. Otherwise the majority of aren't worth the card space.

I thought this at first playing growth, but I disagree now. Energy's direct damage spells are way too good. Order has some awesome spells as well. Growth seems like it's all about creatures at first, but using some of the rare spells well makes the difference between a good order player and a great order player.

That being said, you need a heavy creature base with any faction. But spells are important in multiplayer to get an edge.

Blizzard

Banned
Order. They have spells to unsummon creatures back to their owner's hand. But the other two factions have their own ways of attaining board control.

Energy achieves board control by using direct damage spells on enemy creatures and putting out artillery units that threaten large portions of the board.

Growth achieves board control by swarming creatures and summoning hasted creatures to take out whatever the opponent has played.

I thought this at first playing growth, but I disagree now. Energy's direct damage spells are way too good. Order has some awesome spells as well. Growth seems like it's all about creatures at first, but using some of the rare spells well makes the difference between a good order player and a great order player.

That being said, you need a heavy creature base with any faction. But spells are important in multiplayer to get an edge.
How many cards from a 50-card deck would you recommend be creatures?

Blizzard

Banned
i have an issue with the beta where i can't click OK after entering my login and password

little help?

ps. i don't have avast
That's exactly the symptom that happened to me before I added Scrolls.exe as an exception to Avast web shield. Try adding it as an exception to whatever firewall program you have.

Card Boy

Banned
Properly shouldn't of put OT in the thread title we will get moved to community soon. DOTA2 thread has never being moved to Community after 2 years because it doesn't have OT in the title.

Blizzard

Banned
Properly shouldn't of put OT in the thread title we will get moved to community soon. DOTA2 thread has never being moved to Community after 2 years because it doesn't have OT in the title.
Would that work since this game is in beta? I'll PM a mod about the title. It would seem odd for a beta thread to get moved to community when the beta has only been out 6 days though.

Scrolls has more players than Cobalt now, and was just over 40000 simultaneous players a minute ago. I tried the trading room (two were full and I had to go to Trading-3) and it actually works pretty well. I just type that I'm buying common/uncommon cards for gold, and get trade requests sent to me within a few seconds. No one has objected to me using the http://scrollspc.byethost14.com/index.php site for prices yet, so thanks for that.

I also got my first 2 PVP victories today! I'm on my 4th deck iteration or so, still with all energy and 1 growth card.

cametall

Started with a Growth deck, most of my buddies picked Order.

Ugh... I can't deal with them. If I can't finish them off fast then I lose the game. Those spikey units really mess me up, along with the Waking Stones and... well every damn unit of theirs... Feels like I kill one and then 3 more are played.

Started with a Growth deck, most of my buddies picked Order.

Ugh... I can't deal with them. If I can't finish them off fast then I lose the game. Those spikey units really mess me up, along with the Waking Stones and... well every damn unit of theirs... Feels like I kill one and then 3 more are played.

Poison their spiky units or suicide a cheap creature into them.

Or just avoid them and attack a different lane.

Card Boy

Banned
These are my list of suggestions I posted on the Scrolls forum.

• Mouse wheel scroll up should zoom into a Scroll
  • Mouse wheel scroll down should zoom out of a Scroll
  • There needs to be a X at the corner of the screen to quit the game besides the Escape button.
  • Needs a friends list
  • Needs leader-boards
  • Needs a single player campaign (like AC: Recollection/Elemental Monster)
  • Needs options to skip battle animations (SP only)
  • Needs options to speed up battle animations (SP only)
  • Game needs a 'How to play' rulebook outside doing the tutorial
  • Game needs keyboard shortcuts
  • Needs fully rebindable controls
  • Game needs to differentiate commons, uncommons and rares easier besides the different color boarders.
  • All Scrolls should have a 'flavor text, half don't have any and some Scrolls don't have anything like Kinfolk Brave for example.
  • There is pop-in the Scroll art quality, although a minor issue this needs to be addressed
  • Maybe add voices to the Shop clerks and animate them.
  • Should be able to search Scrolls by name once in the table in the the bottom half of the screen (not to be confused with searching in libary)
  • Game needs a re-join option in case someone gets accidentally disconnected (maybe have a 2 minute grace period, or go into asynchronous mode, or both)
  • Game should have the option for voice chat
  • Game should have asynchronous multiplayer
  • Game needs mulligans (but you get 1 less Scroll on redraw)
  • Booster packs should have like a small chance of giving out foil Scrolls, this would increase their trade value (see Shadow Era on how to do this right)
  • A Guild system couldn't hurt
  • Needs a iOS/Android version with cross platform multiplayer
  • Offline mode
  • Achievements

I will concede mulligan is really the only 'controversial' suggestion on my list. I have purposely avoided saying 'More Cards!' because that goes without saying.

Would that work since this game is in beta?

I don't see why not unless DOTA2 is getting special treatment for some reason.

Blizzard

Banned
These are my list of suggestions I posted on the Scrolls forum.

• Mouse wheel scroll up should zoom into a Scroll
    [*] Mouse wheel scroll down should zoom out of a Scroll
    [*] There needs to be a X at the corner of the screen to quit the game besides the Escape button.
    [*] Needs a friends list
  • Needs leader-boards
  • Needs a single player campaign (like AC: Recollection/Elemental Monster)
    [*] Needs options to skip battle animations (SP only)
    [*] Needs options to speed up battle animations (SP only)
    [*] Game needs a 'How to play' rulebook outside doing the tutorial
    [*] Game needs keyboard shortcuts
    [*] Needs fully rebindable controls
    [*] Game needs to differentiate commons, uncommons and rares easier besides the different color boarders.
    [*] All Scrolls should have a 'flavor text, half don't have any and some Scrolls don't have anything like Kinfolk Brave for example.
  • There is pop-in the Scroll art quality, although a minor issue this needs to be addressed
  • Maybe add voices to the Shop clerks and animate them.
    [*] Should be able to search Scrolls by name once in the table in the the bottom half of the screen (not to be confused with searching in libary)
    [*] Game needs a re-join option in case someone gets accidentally disconnected (maybe have a 2 minute grace period, or go into asynchronous mode, or both)
  • Game should have asynchronous multiplayer
  • Game needs mulligans (but you get 1 less Scroll on redraw)
  • Booster packs should have like a small chance of giving out foil Scrolls, this would increase their trade value (see Shadow Era on how to do this right)
  • A Guild system couldn't hurt
    [*] Offline mode
  • Achievements
I imagine some of them may be in the works. I bolded the ones I agree with and think should be priorities in case Mojang is reading this. :D

A feature I'd like to see since I tend to get addicted to it when games do it well is a way to observe matches. Watching live random matches or matches between friends would be best, or at the very least a way to save/watch replays. It's a great way to learn how to play or see how certain strategies play out.

It's probably harder to implement than a lot of other needed additions but it's something I'd love to see eventually.

Morokh

For voice chat I saw an answer from a Mojang guy saying that they chose to rely on the existing possibilities (Skype, TS ...) rather than implementing an half-assed voice-chat option that would eventually strain their game servers on top of that.

The game is build with Unity to be easily ported on other platforms, doubt it'll be out on any before the official release but it is their mid-to long term goal.

You can not look entirely at leaderboards but you get the top 100 on the opening screen whit the Patch notes and the team an mods Tweets.

Spectator mode would really be nice too yeah :p

Wok

wtftoolong_zps4083f77b.png

This trial (death from above) took WAY too long.
Only won cuz of Faith chain.. and all they have are basically catapult.

In that trial they put nothing but structures and catapult style units on every row except one, which made it impossible for 'em to win. When I noticed this, I saved up enough resources and drew enough cards to put down 3 lanes worth of units at once and buff em. Took about 3 round to win from there.

Thanks for the tips with Order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom