• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scrolls Beta Thread: On my Beard ! Not the Elder ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morokh

hI3k1LN.jpg

Release date : 3rd June 2013
Version : Beta
Price : £13, €15, or $20 (USD), available on www.scrolls.com
Platforms : Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X, Linux version should be coming, in the meantime you can run it using Wine. Release on other platforms has been hinted-at (the game is built in Unity3d for this purpose), but nothing else has been confirmed yet.

XPNKm7e.gif

Scrolls is a multiplayer trading card / strategy game created by Mojang, the company behind Minecraft.

Like any other card game it is about collecting and trading cards (here, Scrolls obviously), building a collection of cards that work well together called a 'Deck', and putting it to the test by challenging other players for ultimate supremacy !

Players familiar with card games will find many elements they already know, but Scrolls brings some elements from board games to the table.

pJat1QF.jpg

The Board you'll be playing your Scrolls on is equally divided in two, each player has a 5x3 tile set to place his units.

On each side at the end of the board are the Idols. Break 3 of your opponent Idols and you win ! Loose 3 of yours and be doooooomed !

Scrolls look like this :

8rez3tM.jpg

What is special here is the countdown.
Basically, once your unit is in play, his countdown number will decrease by 1 point every turn until it reaches 0, at which point the unit will automatically attack in a straight line hitting the first target in sight and resetting his countdown value to its original number.

Playing the right cards at the right time is one thing, but taking this countdown into consideration and placing/moving your units accordingly on the board plays a great deal in whether or not you'll be able to win a game.

Resource managing is another aspect of every card game, the thing with Scrolls is that in order to build your resource pool you will have to sacrifice some scrolls.
At the beginning of a game you will start with 5 scrolls on the first turn, and will automatically draw 1 new scroll each turn. You will then be given once during your turn the possibility to sacrifice 1 scroll (and only 1 per turn) for either 1 additional resource point to your pool, or the ability to draw 2 new scrolls.
In order to summon things you need resources, so you'll end up sacrificing scrolls, but you also need scrolls to play so it is all about managing your hand with care.

This example is a Creature scroll, but there are 3 other type of scrolls :

- Structures : they usually are unable to move, they provide protection and all sorts of useful buffs, they can also do damage from a distance.
- Spells and Enchantments usually apply positive/negative effects on units and can make or break a battle.

The game has serveral game modes to play :
- Tutorial
- Trials : A series of challenges with special rules.
- Quick Matches : against the AI or a random player
- Challenge Matches : to crush your friends !
- Ranked Matches : to climb up the ladder and prove to the world you have the manliest beard of all !
- Tournament : The option is grayed-out at the moment but there sure will be some !

2AFuQBh.gif

But what about Scrolls ?

When you purchase the game, you can choose one of the three preconstructed Decks based on each resource type to get you started

The 3 resources types are, Order, Growth and Energy.

Each one defines a certain theme and play-style, Order is military where units have a good synergy with one another, Growth represents the forces of the wild that can swarm you in the blink of an eye if you're not careful, and Energy is technology, slow to start, but deadly once you are settled.

gDUnkq7.jpg
TwLLE06.jpg
LTVRUn4.jpg

As you gain many scrolls and build a decent collection, you can, of course start to build your own Decks, and mix resource types as much as you want.

HJw2Sgd.gif

As you play, you will gain Gold after each match, or when completing Trials for the first time.
There is a second currency Shards, that you buy with actual money.

But wait a second !??!! I was promised free updates ! and doesn't that make the game Pay2Win ?

Like they did with Minecraft you will get every new addition to the game as they implement it without having to pay anything more.

Any Scroll or item in the game can be purchased with both currencies, Gold and Shards, and it will be the same for new Scrolls introduced in the game.

There is no plan for any content locked by a real money pay-wall.

The items you can purchase are mostly all random :
- 1 random Scroll (100 Gold)
- 1 Random Growth Scroll (175 Gold)
- 1 Random Energy Scroll (175 Gold)
- 1 Random Order Scroll (175 Gold)
- 1 Scroll Pack of 10 : Contains 1 Rare, 2 Uncommons and 7 Commons (1000 Gold)
- A selection of 6 Scrolls (2 of each resource) that is different for each player, where you can only buy 1 of each, and that changes every week. ( 100 to 1000 Gold depending on the Scroll)

The only two things that are not randomized are :
- The two preconstructed Decks you did not pick when you bought the game. (6500 Gold each)
- Cosmetic full outfit of body parts for your Avatar. ( 5000 Gold )

The fact that everything is randomized to a point does not grant any particular edge to someone that would choose to pay with real money for everything.

Having more Scrolls than someone else doesn't mean you will face-roll everything, in this type of game, knowledge of your cards, and how to play them effectively prevails over everything.

Add to this that the game is quite generous with rewarding the player with in-game currency. Especially if you compare it to other games that use a similar approach.

As of June 6 you automatically get 2000 Gold when you purchase the game to spend in the Shop to start buying new Scrolls.

www.scrolls.com said:
If you play multiplayer, and win half your games, you’ll be awarded with an average of 180 gold per battle.

You usually get less than 100 Gold for a loss, and I've seen victories for close matches at 350 Gold.

Doing all the solo Trials (divided in Easy/Medium/Hard difficulty) will give you 9400 gold not even counting match bonuses. (The Easy ones alone yield around 2000 Gold)

Incentive to buy things with real money is as you can see minimal, and so are the advantages, the better options for it are to buy the preconstructed Decks, or the Avatar items that are the items that cost a lot.

UTnKVGr.gif

Official Assets Pack

F4i6tNg.gif

I keep getting the 'Loading Store' message when I try to purchase the game !

https://account.mojang.com/

Create an account, or migrate your Minecraft account, verify the account and you should be good.
If you already migrated or verified your account, log in again you may have to verify it one more time and then you should be good to go.

If that doesn't work, your best bet is Mojang's support.

Why no Paypal ???

Paypal is currently only unavailable to buy Shards ingame but the possibility should be implemented soon.

4th June 2013 : Paypal available to purchase the game

Microtransactions ? Real money ? But I already paid for the game !

You didn't read this post did you ? :p Read the 'Shop' section.

See also this thread on the official Scrollsfan forums and this page on the official site.

Damn Bugs !

Report it on Mojang's Bug tracker page, can't hurt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First attempt at an actual |OT|, any suggestions / additional informations or corrections to my English (did my best xD) are more than welcome :p
I hope you'll enjoy it, I will keep on updating it as much as I can.

Gurrry

Got the game last night...

Wasnt too thrilled with the 20 dollar price tag for the games current state. However, thats not to say that there isnt depth here.

After playing for about 4-5 hours though... Im hooked. Its definitely scratching my TCG itch until Hex comes out. It definitely isnt pay to win as getting gold seems quite easy.

I hope they release more scrolls (cards) soon so that the game can develop a little faster.

Thanks for the OT. You might want to mention in the microtransactions section that everything can be bought with gold you earn from winning battles vs the AI or in multiplayer.

Winning 3 games in multiplayer gets you about enough for a booster pack, and you still get some gold if you lose.

Edit: I see you mentioned gold above, but not in the FAQ.

Ugh, the growth unit Vaettr of the Wild is really bugged. Not only does it not show when it's supposed to attack in the UI, but it's also supposed to increase your growth count by 1 while in play. This last game it didn't increase the growth count and I lost a game because I was 1 growth short to cast the last spell I needed after summoning it. I've talked to another person in the chat who ran into the same bug.

Edit: I did a test game against the CPU and it looks like that card increases your maximum growth but doesn't fill it until the next turn. The wording on the card could definitely be clearer.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm strangely intrigued by this game despite it not looking like something I'd normally play. I hope he puts out a demo some time. I can't see myself putting up $20 just to try it.

Blizzard

Banned
This actually looks interesting, though I'd prefer something like $15 over $20. It makes me think of some combination of Yu-gi-oh and Hero Academy.

I assume the order in which you draw cards is randomized...can you completely customize a deck? Can you buy/unlock two different decks and then mix cards to make a crazy deck, for example?

*edit* Answering my own questions, from the Scrolls website:

Once you’ve earned a few more scrolls, you’ll probably want to start customising. Fledgling players might find it easier to stick to one faction, but multi-resource creations can result in brutal combinations and unpredictable plays. There’s no limit to the number of decks that can be stored on your profile, and each scroll can be included in as many as you like, so feel free to experiment. Take a look at Sysp’s guide on deck building for some sound advice.
http://www.scrollsguide.com/news/1240/turning-an-idea-into-a-scrolls-deck-a-step-by-step-guide

Also it sounds like I should get it at this price before it goes up:
What’s the deal with the “Beta” status?

On June 3rd, you’re able to purchase Scrolls for £12.95/€14.95/$20.95. It’s not feature complete, but there’s still plenty to get your teeth into. Buy it at this discounted price and you’ll get future updates for free. It’s like that other game, the one with Creepers.

This actually looks interesting, though I'd prefer something like $15 over $20. It makes me think of some combination of Yu-gi-oh and Hero Academy.

I assume the order in which you draw cards is randomized...can you completely customize a deck? Can you buy/unlock two different decks and then mix cards to make a crazy deck, for example?

Yes. There are 3 colors of "mana" and you pick between pre-constructed decks for one of the 3 colors when you start. As you build up your collection of cards you can make whatever deck you want as long as it's at least 50 cards and doesn't have more than 3 of any one card. Hybrid color decks are allowed but I think it'll take a while before I have enough cards of a second color to make a decent one.

Morokh

Yes. There are 3 colors of "mana" and you pick between pre-constructed decks for one of the 3 colors when you start. As you build up your collection of cards you can make whatever deck you want as long as it's at least 50 cards and doesn't have more than 3 of any one card. Hybrid color decks are allowed but I think it'll take a while before I have enough cards of a second color to make a decent one.

Just played against someone that tried a Growth/Energy build and it was poorly executed xD
At first I thought he did not know how to play because he had plenty of cards in his hands but played none of them, then he started invoking cheap energy units/structures at every turn ... but it was already too late for him :p

345 gold earned on that game :eek: totally worth it.

Now off to bed !

How fast do you make gold, and how much do the really good cards costs?

Game doesn't seem to be worth $20 if it has microtransactions, but maybe that is just me. The art doesn't leave me impressed.

For those that have played it, does the battlefield seem on the small side?

How fast do you make gold, and how much do the really good cards costs?

Game doesn't seem to be worth $20 if it has microtransactions, but maybe that is just me. The art doesn't leave me impressed.

For those that have played it, does the battlefield seem on the small side?

Winning a game in multiplayer gets you about 350 gold. You get 90 or so for losing. Winning against the "easy" setting CPU gets like 130 or so. A 10-card booster pack costs 1000 and comes with 2 uncommons and a rare.

So if you do well, you can buy a booster every 3 games.

Assuming you have enough Gold for 10 random scrolls or 1 scroll pack (both cost 1000 Gold and give you 10 scrolls), is it always better to purchase the pack since you are guaranteed at least 2 uncommon and 1 rare? I assume the 7 other cards in the pack could also be uncommon or rare, meaning there's really no reason to purchase individual (random) scrolls unless you don't want to save up 1000 Gold each time?

(Quote from the Mojang site for reference)
You’ll spend the vast majority of your earnings on random scrolls. They’re the primary way to boost your library. Players can buy completely random scrolls or grab one for a specific faction. If you can afford it, it’s probably worth buying the occasional bundle of 10 scrolls – you’re guaranteed at least one rare and two uncommon in there.

Assuming you have enough Gold for 10 random scrolls or 1 scroll pack (both cost 1000 Gold and give you 10 scrolls), is it always better to purchase the pack since you are guaranteed at least 2 uncommon and 1 rare? I assume the 7 other cards in the pack could also be uncommon or rare, meaning there's really no reason to purchase individual (random) scrolls unless you don't want to save up 1000 Gold each time?

(Quote from the Mojang site for reference)

Not sure. I've been buying packs so far, but I just bought 3 singles (and paid 175 to guarantee Growth faction) and I got 2 uncommons and a rare. I've seen some other players also report good luck with the singles.

Edit: Now my singles are up to 1 common, 3 uncommons, and 4 rares. Fuck buying packs.

Gurrry

Does anyone know where I can find some basic strategies for each deck?

I feel like im going into each game with an overall decent strategy but in the end im top-decking and losing.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
$20 with some micro-transaction? Mojang gettin' greedy.

You can say it's not Pay-to-Win because you aren't forced to use real money, but when someone can pay cash to bypass the grind.. it's pay to win.

TheExodu5

Banned
What the hell is up with the installation? Can't choose the folder, and it goes to AppData...that is some weird shit.

Seems like a lot of companies are going for online card games recently, between this, Hex and Blizzard's Hearthstone.

Personally I like the look of this one the most so far, because of the combination of collectible cards and Heroes of Might&Magic-ish style strategy. Hopefully Mojang supports it like it has Minecraft.

Although what I'd really like is an online version of SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters Clash.

I played a demo at PAX either last year or the year before, and I walked away disappointed because it felt slow and boring. Have they managed to add any fun to the game?

Blizzard

Banned
Is there a way to reset your security questions for a Mojang account? I click the link to reset questions, which gives me a link to click, which...asks me the answer to security questions.

*edit* Fixed it, I think I had to click the most recent of multiple emails since it took a bit of time to get one.

maladr0it

Banned
I'm finding this really difficult... Can only win against the computer on medium maybe 1/3rd of the time. I chose the third deck FYI.

I'm finding this really difficult... Can only win against the computer on medium maybe 1/3rd of the time. I chose the third deck FYI.

The first set of trials are pretty easy and pay out a good amount of gold. That's probably the best place to start. I earned enough from trials to buy 3 boosters before jumping into the multiplayer.

The third deck is Order, right? Winning with that seems to largely be about grouping adjacent units so they buff each other, and setting up crossbow guys behind walls.

Blizzard

Banned
I couldn't get the store to load, but I found a direct link to the purchase page on Reddit that worked:

Code:
https://account.mojang.com/buy/scrolls

Morokh

I thought this thread would be about Skyrim. Bethesda should sue.

They did (that's what I refer to in the title)

Mojang was involved in a legal disagreement with Bethesda Softworks, who claimed that the use of the name Scrolls would cause confusion with its own The Elder Scrolls series. Mojang won the interim injunction regarding the issue with the name "Scrolls", and is allowed to continue using that name for future development. In March 2012, Mojang and Bethesda reached a settlement, in which Mojang would not trademark Scrolls, but Bethesda would not contest the naming of Scrolls, so long as it would not be a competitor against The Elder Scrolls.

You can say it's not Pay-to-Win because you aren't forced to use real money, but when someone can pay cash to bypass the grind.. it's pay to win.

As I said in the OP, even if you buy card with cash you can only buy random cards as far as Pay to win goes that's minimal as you can get.

Having more cards than someone else doesn't automatically give an edge, you still only can have 50 cards in your Deck and 3 of the same card.

Plus the ingame Gold piles up so quick that the real money option seems really pointless at this point

Seems like a lot of companies are going for online card games recently, between this, Hex and Blizzard's Hearthstone.

Well this one is in the work for at least two years.

And out of the three, I would gladly bet that it's the one that, after the original price will certainly go less after your wallet with new card additions than the others.

KuroNeeko

The first set of trials are pretty easy and pay out a good amount of gold. That's probably the best place to start. I earned enough from trials to buy 3 boosters before jumping into the multiplayer.

The third deck is Order, right? Winning with that seems to largely be about grouping adjacent units so they buff each other, and setting up crossbow guys behind walls.

I believe the third deck is Energy.

Energy is all about surviving the early game so you can start exerting, and then maintaining, influence over the opponent's lanes.

Copper Apparatus, Burn, the 1-cost wall, and 2 cost range units are good choices. I find that around 4-5 resources is the turning point, but the transition between these two stages is rough as you're probably down to 1-2 scrolls in your hand. From there, you can seize board control and start saccing scrolls for more scrolls to rebuild your hand.

I was feeling down on Energy in the beginning, but after a few scroll bundles, things are looking up. Of course, this will probably change when I start having to deal with the Growth decks. Those haste Vikings need a nerf. w

Blizzard

Banned
The third deck (the one on the right) for me was growth and I picked energy.

The game kept freezing with a gc get thread context popup. It seems to be a known problem with Unity/Mono games and certain antivirus systems such as Avast. I had to add a web shield exception to just get Scrolls to let me login. Oddly enough, changing Scrolls.exe to run in Vista SP2 compatibility mode seemed to work around the thread context freeze for me, at least for now.

Leonsito

I saw a Twittertextthing on the Twitters that said the framerate was hellishly sluggish, speaking of Unity. Is it awkward/slow to use?

Unity itself is fantastic, the interface is super simple, and you can have your first "games" running in days, it has a couple of problems, mainly the integrated GUI solution, but I don't think anyone uses it anymore, now it has Scaleform integration, but thats an entire different beast.

Blizzard

Banned
Unity itself is fantastic, the interface is super simple, and you can have your first "games" running in days, it has a couple of problems, mainly the integrated GUI solution, but I don't think anyone uses it anymore, now it has Scaleform integration, but thats an entire different beast.
I meant Scrolls itself. The turns seem to run a bit slowly, but I don't think that's because of the engine. The user interface seems responsive enough.

I bought 5 energy scrolls and 3 of them were the fire chains. >.> Someone was talking about getting rare cards from single random purchases. Were those the pure randoms, or the faction-specific randoms? And is there a way to tell if a card is rare? The only semi-unique card I got was an iron whip.

I meant Scrolls itself. The turns seem to run a bit slowly, but I don't think that's because of the engine. The user interface seems responsive enough.

I bought 5 energy scrolls and 3 of them were the fire chains. >.> Someone was talking about getting rare cards from single random purchases. Were those the pure randoms, or the faction-specific randoms? And is there a way to tell if a card is rare? The only semi-unique card I got was an iron whip.

Faction specific. Maybe I just got lucky, but I got way more rares than commons.

Commons have a light border, uncommons have a darker border, and rares have an even darker border and some cracks on the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom