• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scrolls Beta Thread: On my Beard ! Not the Elder ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayven

aka surume
Welp, I'm just terrible at this game. Lost 2 easy ai matches and 3 easy trials as growth. How's that for an on-boarding experience? Went in to edit my deck a little and to my surprise, I can't b/c of the 50 card min. Is that really the case?

Might be balance related, but either way, I'm gonna put this game down for a while.

KuroNeeko

Not at the moment but the option should come soon.

The game is not F2P, at least not as far as I know. The $20 price tag gets you the game and one starter. You CAN buy shards with real money, but everything in the game can be bought with gold earned from matches.

Looking at the website, they've hinted that buying in now will be cheaper than when they release the final version.

Welp, I'm just terrible at this game. Lost 2 easy ai matches and 3 easy trials as growth. How's that for an on-boarding experience? Went in to edit my deck a little and to my surprise, I can't b/c of the 50 card min. Is that really the case?

Might be balance related, but either way, I'm gonna put this game down for a while.

Decks require a minimum of 50 scrolls. If you don't have any other scrolls in your possession, then you can't alter your deck.

I play Energy, but Growth is one of the stronger starters. Can you post what kind of trouble you're having? Energy is an aggressive deck. Wolves, while weak, are an integral part of the starter deck. Early pressure with wolves, ramp up with Sisters of the Fox, Kinfolk, and the ATK boosting Idol (Altar?), then lay down your Wolf Brothers and big ass white direwolf doods.

You can trade units, but you should try to keep your unit-producing units alive. If you find yourself going on the defensive more than not, then you might not be playing aggressive enough.

Some of the easy trials are not easy. I think one of the devs said that Easy 2 was giving a lot of people trouble and that you should come back to it later once you've beefed up your deck. I haven't played a lot of Growth decks, but the ones I have are really nasty once you hit a kind of critical mass for your units.

I'm confused is the game F2P? The way TB talked at the start of the vid gave the impression the game is going to be F2P and all your doing by paying is getting early access? Or was TB just straight out wrong?

He claimed that right now to get into beta you have to pretty much pay a bit of cash. Whether Scrolls' will step onto F2P monetization land or not is unknown right now, so he skipped commenting on this in his video.

KuroNeeko

Also, I don't know your schedule or anything, but I should be on in about 7 hours or so if you want to play some casual games.;D

He claimed that right now to get into beta you have to pretty much pay a bit of cash. Whether Scrolls' will step onto F2P monetization land or not is unknown right now, so he skipped commenting on this in his video.

Yeah, this is all that I could find on the website...

Scrolls website said:
What’s the deal with the “Beta” status?

On June 3rd, you’re able to purchase Scrolls for £12.95/€14.95/$20.95. It’s not feature complete, but there’s still plenty to get your teeth into. Buy it at this discounted price and you’ll get future updates for free. It’s like that other game, the one with Creepers.

Man, I wish you could save replays. That last match was awesome. Order guy got his big phalanx of dudes set up and had me on the defensive the whole game. As he was preparing his final attack I hit critical mass of wolves on the opposite end of the map. He dropped a freeze spell on them, but I drew a Rally on the last possible turn and closed it out.

Edit: And unless I decide to tweak it, my growth deck is done. I got every card I needed without buying any shards.

Card Boy

Banned

Yeah, this is all that I could find on the website...

I'm getting mixed messages here i might wait abit until official confirmation outside 'you’ll get future updates for free'

Phinor

Decided to buy this one but immediately a problem. Is there a config file where I could change the resolution? The game starts at a resolution my monitor doesn't support so it crashes on startup along with desktop manager, ati drivers and few other things.

Found nothing useful in the install folder, nothing in My Documents.

edit: http://www.scrollsfans.com/forums/scrolls/support/34882-instant-crash?comment=5. So you have to create a config file yourself. I started the game again after that and once again everything crashed, but on third try it started in windowed mode and seems to work fine now (well except for the Avast antivirus issue, have to fix that one now.)

-GJ-

I'm getting mixed messages here i might wait abit until official confirmation outside 'you’ll get future updates for free'

It's the Minecraft model. You buy the game now for a reduced price ($20) as a 'beta tester', and when the game hits 1.0 (or whatever 'finished' means at Mojang) the price will go up. Probably to $25 or $30.

Morokh

Even if there is a 'cash' option, it just means that all the new features that will be added to the game will always be free.
As far as new cards go it seems that they will integrate them in the game for everyone, and that there will never be things locked by a pay-wall, you will always have the possibility to buy everything available with the currency you earn when you play.

As -GJ- says the price may go up when the 'official' release hits.

I really want to play/buy this game, but cant even access the store or my account page since the beta started -.-

Have you tried what I explained in the FAQ ?

I know they said they would be releasing a fourth faction/resource, decay, but will they also be adding additional cards/mechanics to the game?

Tobinishi

I was finally able to purchase the game. I started with growth without knowing anything about the game. Hopefully i wont regret it, but i really like the design of the growth cards and i completely destroyed the opponent in the tutorial ;)

Morokh

Seems like a new little patch just hit :
BOenRts.jpg

That explains the +2000 gold :p

-GJ-

I know they said they would be releasing a fourth faction/resource, decay, but will they also be adding additional cards/mechanics to the game?

Probably, yeah. I could see them adding new series of boosters to the game (like the Pokémon TCG for instance). They really should, since there are only 45 different cards of each faction in the game at the moment and you get like 25-30 of 'em in your premade deck.

Blizzard

Banned
Probably, yeah. I could see them adding new series of boosters to the game (like the Pokémon TCG for instance). They really should, since there are only 45 different cards of each faction in the game at the moment and you get like 25-30 of 'em in your premade deck.

If there are only 45 cards each that would be 135 total unless 58 were generic? I haven't looked through the database yet though.

-GJ-

If there are only 45 cards each that would be 135 total unless 58 were generic? I haven't looked through the database yet though.

Parallax Must've made a typo. There are 139 cards (not 193), but 4 of them are temporarily scrapped from the game (due to balance issues, I guess). Here's a quote from the Scrolls Database.

There are 139 known scrolls in total as of June 6th, 2013. 135 scrolls are currently available. There are 45 Order scrolls, 45 Growth scrolls and 45 Energy scrolls.

junkboy

Explosion Master Supreme

Scrolls won't be F2P. The idea is that you buy the game once and never have to spend another dollar on it to stay competitive. We're trying to avoid the usual pay-to-win pitfalls.

Rayven

aka surume
Also, I don't know your schedule or anything, but I should be on in about 7 hours or so if you want to play some casual games.;D
Very kind of you. I'll PM over my user name.

The scenario I keep running into is I'll knock down 2 enemy totems early, but can't seal the deal. The enemy (regardless of faction) seems to never run out of creatures, but funny enough, growth doesn't have enough in the starter. After 20 turns, the opponent has an overwhelming force and I've got nothing on the board and nothing in my hand while they keep churning out creatures.

Parallax Must've made a typo. There are 139 cards (not 193), but 4 of them are temporarily scrapped from the game (due to balance issues, I guess). Here's a quote from the Scrolls Database.

Actually, since each card has a card number, I just looked at the highest numbered card in the database which is 193. Looks like they skip some of the numbers. Weird.

The scenario I keep running into is I'll knock down 2 enemy totems early, but can't seal the deal. The enemy (regardless of faction) seems to never run out of creatures, but funny enough, growth doesn't have enough in the starter. After 20 turns, the opponent has an overwhelming force and I've got nothing on the board and nothing in my hand while they keep churning out creatures.

Are you sacrificing a card to draw 2 cards in that scenario? If you do that each turn you'll draw creatures faster.

Blizzard

Banned
Scrolls won't be F2P. The idea is that you buy the game once and never have to spend another dollar on it to stay competitive. We're trying to avoid the usual pay-to-win pitfalls.

If you don't mind sharing, are you on the development or design team? And are you allowed to drop any hints about whether new cards/packs are planned in the coming month or two? (I've heard decay as a faction is a possibility)

Morokh

Updated my original post with a better explained part on the Shop, and a few tweaks !

And as a bonus, something that did not make it in the |OT| but i'll just throw it here :p

S0slOUA.png

TheExodu5

Banned

That's a massive draw for me as TCGs are notoriously bad for being pay-to-win.

KuroNeeko

Yes, I take advantage of that. They always get ahead in troops regardless.

Yeah, growth units need to be aggressive and apply constant pressure. That usually means keeping the opponent's unit count lower than your own. If they start catching up, it becomes an increasingly uphill battle.

Yes, I take advantage of that. They always get ahead in troops regardless.

Like KuroNeeko said, you should prioritize killing enemy units instead of hitting their idols. This helps you gain a numbers advantage that you can press for the rest of the game.

Since everyone got 2000 free gold today, I'd recommend you spend those on randomized growth singles for 175 a pop. That should get you some more creatures to add to your deck.

garath

I'm thinking there's some synergy between growth and energy that can work. Focus on artillary from energy for map control then fill out slots with structures and wolves. Use buff cards from energy that gives attack based on structures and you can keep your opponent clear while utilizing the regen from growth and have one or two big attackers. I'm going to keep collecting growth cards and see if I can't do something like that.

CzarTim

I'm thinking there's some synergy between growth and energy that can work. Focus on artillary from energy for map control then fill out slots with structures and wolves. Use buff cards from energy that gives attack based on structures and you can keep your opponent clear while utilizing the regen from growth and have one or two big attackers. I'm going to keep collecting growth cards and see if I can't do something like that.

I played against a G/E deck earlier. I was 2 hits away from winning with pretty much full health on all my idols and the guy came back and won.

Even just a straightforward growth deck plus a few direct damage spells from energy could be nice, since growth has a tough time taking out back row units.

ayrix

Neo Member
How fast do you make gold, and how much do the really good cards costs?

Game doesn't seem to be worth $20 if it has microtransactions, but maybe that is just me. The art doesn't leave me impressed.

For those that have played it, does the battlefield seem on the small side?
You buy random boosters, except for the 6 cards you get randomly assigned each week.
They can go up to 1000 gold.
350 gold for a multiplayer win (6 per day cap), or for the trials, Vs AI wins around 150.
Wait it costs $20 plus it has the option to buy 'Shards'? Why isn't this F2P?

$20 with some micro-transaction? Mojang gettin' greedy.

You can say it's not Pay-to-Win because you aren't forced to use real money, but when someone can pay cash to bypass the grind.. it's pay to win.

Shards, so far, can only be used to buy the other starter decks, the costumes and your 6 random scrolls for the week. They cannot be used for normal boosters, so you can't skip the grind. You could log in checking once a week for your 6 scrolls, but that isn't faster.

Blizzard

Banned
I was looking at the simultaneous player stats last night, and if I was reading them correctly it looked like Minecraft had about 2,000,000, Scrolls had 20,000, and Cobalt had 30,000.

I guess I didn't even realize Cobalt was out yet, let alone that so many people were still playing it. I can't seem to find any official thread on GAF about it either.

Morokh

Played against a Energy with Growth support deck just now and won after a quite long game !

Earned 398 Gold :p and learned some interesting synergies between Energy / Growth that I did not know about.

-GJ-

There is no way in Hell I am able to win this...

Whatever I play, he kills it almost in an instance. And this is supposed to be an 'easy' challenge...

I've played 3 multiplayer matches so far and I've lost all 3 of 'em. Reconstructed my deck many times but I keep losing, even in a Medium level Quick Match, haha. I suck at this.

Whatever I play, he kills it almost in an instance. And this is supposed to be an 'easy' challenge...

I've played 3 multiplayer matches so far and I've lost all 3 of 'em. Reconstructed my deck many times but I keep losing, even in a Medium level Quick Match, haha. I suck at this.

Everyone has a hard time with that trial. I eventually went back and beat it but not until I upgraded the fuck out of my growth deck.

Wok

With my Order deck, this is impossible too.

-GJ-

It's good to hear I'm not alone in this. It's just that everytime I play I have the feeling that Growth is the weakest of the bunch. Then I come in this thread and see you guys talk about how Growth is probably the best deck to play and I start to question myself, haha. I've been desperately buying Growth singles since so far I've bought 3 boosters which all 3 mostly consisted out of 90% Order and Energy cards, but that didn't help me that much so far either.

I'm still really enjoying the game though, but I just can't stand losing against an Energy deck that has it's whole field filled up with 6-10 HP structures.

Tobinishi

Where can i trade with other people? I'm still learning the basic, but i got a Knight Scholar today. Anyone interested in trading? Searching for good growth cards.

garath

Well. I just made an energy + growth deck and I got crushed by an easy growth AI. I only put growth cards in worth 2 or less (with one 3 I think) and sac'd to get that, then built up enough energy. I started pretty well destroying an idol almost immediately but the growth SPAWN just overwhelmed me. Freakin insane amount of wolves (seriously how do they have that many, thought you could only have 3 in a deck) and so many haste and healing cards. Plus those totems that just flat increase the attack of their units. They had a creature attacking almost every turn. It was disgusting.

I can see the potential though. I have to remake my deck a little and get some structure lobbing support. What I didn't realize is you can sac ANY card for ANY "mana" type. i.e. you can sac an energy card for growth. That makes it a LOT easier to do multi "mana" decks.

Elcheris

Neo Member
Tried it out a bunch today, its pretty awesome so far! I too started out with the growth deck. I feel like it has far too many spells that are not very effective, ill replace many of those with creatures as soon as I can.

Blizzard

Banned
I can see the potential though. I have to remake my deck a little and get some structure lobbing support. What I didn't realize is you can sac ANY card for ANY "mana" type. i.e. you can sac an energy card for growth. That makes it a LOT easier to do multi "mana" decks.
That's a key point I didn't realize either. So essentially any card acts as a colorless mana?

Where can i trade with other people? I'm still learning the basic, but i got a Knight Scholar today. Anyone interested in trading? Searching for good growth cards.

Go to the arena screen, click "Join room" in the bottom left. Click on channel "trading." If it's full (it'll just say "notice" if the channel is full), type in "trading-2" and join that. Or join channel "neogaf" to trade with gaffers.

When you're in a room, click someone's name in the list on the right and select Trade to open a trade window.

Well. I just made an energy + growth deck and I got crushed by an easy growth AI. I only put growth cards in worth 2 or less (with one 3 I think) and sac'd to get that, then built up enough energy. I started pretty well destroying an idol almost immediately but the growth SPAWN just overwhelmed me. Freakin insane amount of wolves (seriously how do they have that many, thought you could only have 3 in a deck) and so many haste and healing cards. Plus those totems that just flat increase the attack of their units. They had a creature attacking almost every turn. It was disgusting.

There's Mangy Wolf, Great Wolf, and Ragged Wolf, and they could have 3 of each of those. There's also a Brother of the Wolf creature that can generate new wolves every couple turns.

no angel

I have no idea how anyone's supposed to answer this question but I'm going to ask it anyway - will I like this game!? I love the idea of CCGs in general but I invariably turn out to be shit at them. I do however love the hell out of ascension on iOS (it's hands down my mostplayed game on my ipad) but could never get it to any of the other playdek games that were released, I think I like the look of the Blizzard CCG more but I can't work out why.

Is it worth a punt for me? I reckon I'm on the verge of jumping in, I just need someone to give me a push!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom