• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scumbags Harass Woman For Working On Mass Effect: Andromeda's Animations

Internet cretins engaged in a harassment campaign against a woman who worked for Electronic Arts this weekend, flooding her social media and various internet profiles with vitriolic, often misogynistic messages. Her sin, it appears, was working on animations for the game Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Allie Rose-Marie Leost, who worked for EA’s motion-capture labs in Vancouver, saw vicious harassment on Twitter and other websites today, most often from people who blamed her for Andromeda’s awkward facial animations. The harassment appears to have been primarily triggered by a vile blog post at Ralph Retort, a right-wing, GamerGate-tied website, that claimed Leost was the lead facial animator on Andromeda. That website also accused her of performing sexual acts to get her job at EA.

Here’s a small sample of the hundreds of messages Leost faced today:

oq49mmtlglekow9toylc.png

am20cbek7ioyvfq01ewo.png

i30yh5qnsi5h934fyngs.png

mavspzwskarljzngvv62.png

More at the link:
http://kotaku.com/scumbags-harass-w...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

jackal27

Banned
Yeah there's a ton more and she may not have actually worked there if I read Bioware's statement correctly?

Read some guy saying whether she did or not she should be "shunned" from gaming and what they hell does that even mean? What the fuck is wrong with us? Why would it ever be ok to treat a real live human being like this over a stupid video game?

diaspora

I'm shocked this would come from the gaming community over some silly faces sometimes.

Shocked.

Not that shocked

L Thammy

Somehow I feel like these people would be harassing women with or without Mass Effect Andromeda's animations. I don't think they're really all that upset.

This is why people think gamers are losers and idiots.

Unfortunately, a lot of gamers are losers and idiots, and a lot of the spaces they operate in don't want to deal with that (or don't care).

jackal27

Banned
That first one in the screenshot above makes my stomach turn. This isn't gaming, it's fucking criminal and revolting. I'm not even sure you could call it human.

And somehow we keep wondering why a lot of people view gaming as a hobby for kids. Shameful behavior...
Even children aren't this cruel.

KaYotiX

Banned
Just don't get how or why you would do this.... Wish people would face real world consequences more when they hide behind a keyboard and spout this bullshit.

True Fire

And people still deny that gaming has a misogyny problem.

"B-but society has a misogyny problem!!"

You don't see this level of vitriol, scapegoatism, and aggression towards women who work in non-tech sector jobs. No woman who works in gaming is safe.

JordanKZ

Fuck. Even if they had the right person, this is an absolute disgrace. Whatever your thoughts are on a product, harassing or brigading a person that contributed to it is downright deplorable.

The reactions are disgusting bullshit. Even if she made every charakter look like Steve Urkle she wouldn't deserve that treatment, she didn't kill someone and it's only a fucking videogame.

That said some of the animations are really hilarious.

Rellik

It's embarrassing to share the same hobby as these clowns. But I'm not surprised after the recent locked review threads on here for similar reasons.

This has nothing to do with mass effect, it has nothing to do with poor animations. This 100% has to do with a bunch of people who get their jollies of tormenting women.

You don't see this level of vitriol, scapegoatism, and aggression towards women who work in non-tech sector jobs. No woman who works in gaming is safe.

Welcome to internet free of consequence and that all. Just imagine what is said behind closed doors or why certain things don't go to certain people.

But it's time for a circle jerk because of idiots on the twitter. Lets paint a whole community with a big brush though...

HaloRose

Banned
Ill bet these kind of people doesn't understand how many hours and sleep nights to make a game like this?? Yes they've mistakes on animations they're trying the best to fix it.

And people still deny that gaming has a misogyny problem.

"B-but society has a misogyny problem!!"

This is seeing #daywithoutawoman widely adopted and celebrated by industry peeps was important, despite what some certain high profile jerk offs in the industry might tell you.

Teepo671

Embarrassing and infuriating. I know an official response from BioWare has to be professional but I still wish they tore into those cowardly idiots hiding behind twitter handles.

aeolist

Banned
can't even make fun of a bad game anymore without sociopathic cretins coming out of the woodwork to make everything awful

Memory

This is why i'm fine with people getting jail time for internet harassment and trolling. SMH, these guys are scum.

Yes they've mistakes on animations they're trying the best to fix it.

Where did you see this conformation? in any case good luck to those people with the task of fixing fundamental body rig, facial rig and animation state problems. Most likely across the whole game.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
She said on her profile that she worked on Mass Effect A. as a lead. Bioware now said that she didn't, so someone is probably lying. Doesn't matter though, because some of the reactions are disgusting either way.

well yah, now that I think about it, someone's probably lying.

and yes that's beside the point. The reactions are indeed disgusting.

Podge293

Yeah that's pretty fucked up. Killing anomnity would solve this.

Actually wouldn't need killing anomnity. Would just mean if people are pricks they get shown as pricks.

These guys can screw off. Andromeda's animations aren't great and have a lot of issues presentation wise but that's a completely immature reaction to harass the individual. Just why?

Top Bottom