• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SE announces Chaos Rings III (iOS/Android) and Chaos Rings III Prequel Trilogy (Vita)

duckroll

Then "Chaos Rings III Prequel Trilogy" is a very weird name. Even though the first game is already playable on Vita through the PSM port, I can see them just doing I+II+III.

Also, how big is Media Vision? They're working on Shining Resonance (PS3), Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth (Vita) and this.

Omega is a prequel right? Since this is Square Enix, and it's a Japanese product, they probably intend for it to mean "Chaos Rings Collection - Prequel + Trilogy" or something like that. I dunno, it's a really dumb name.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Chaos Rings III IAP purchases:

Bag of gold .......$0.99
10 bags of gold...$2.99
Costume pack 1...$3.99
Costume pack 2...$4.99
XP pack (can be bought multiple times!)..$5.99
20 bags of gold....$7.99
Ending 1........$9.99
Ending 2.........$12.99
Japanese language option....$14.99
Real ending...........$19.99
Real ending with final boss......$29.99
Ultimate boss.............$59.99
Unlock everything.......$99.99

They have a separate f2p game called Chaos Rings Sigma.

I suspect this might be a one and done purchase.

LAA

Hmm I have said multiple times I wanted SE to do something for Vita... Not sure I'm happy with it getting a mobile port..., and I bet if it doesn't sell well, they won't bother with Vita again, but if it does, they won't put the games people really want on there, they'll just know mobile ports are fine... Can't win either way.

watershed

Banned
Oh, so this is what that rumor was about. I guess Chaos Rings has become an important series for SE. It's good for Vita to get some SE attention, even though this is a mobile port.

Aru

What's wrong with the Playstation Mobile version? I'm kinda interested in the game and own a capable phone, but I'd prefer to play the game with buttons rather than a touch screen.

I haven't played it myself but heard there was a lot of slowdowns due to the limitations of the PSM mobile framework.

Einhander

Not too excited about this. The original Chaos Rings was quite boring, but maybe Chaos Rings II is more interesting. Dunno.

Goli

Screenshots:
71pniqFxn-L.jpg

71Bdkbj1XlL.jpg

71WO3yQ5joL.jpg

61cA8rp%2B03L.jpg

61FVwbpXcGL.jpg

61ceLavRnPL.jpg

71IulfvZfAL.jpg

Goli

Those Rarity icons plus the fact that there seem to be two kinds of currencies on the menu have me now worried regarding IAP :/.
Also, as a fan of the series, I really don't like how childish it looks, and I'm not sure how to feel regarding the transition into full 3D since I thought the pre-drawn BGs in the other entries were really well done. Still hopeful though.

EDIT: Also, the battle system is no longer limited to just a couple of characters in battle...

Those Rarity icons plus the fact that there seem to be two kinds of currencies on the menu have me now worried regarding IAP :/.
Also, as a fan of the series, I really don't like how childish it looks, and I'm not sure how to feel regarding the transition into full 3D since I thought the pre-drawn BGs in the other entries were really well done. Still hopeful though.
Premium currency is always a sign of doom. :(

And I agree about the characters. They seem more younger than past games.

And the full 3D will be interesting. Hope it has better framerates than DQVIII!

duckroll

I'm by no means familiar with the Chaos Rings series, so I could be totally wrong about this, but my impression of the screens is that it now looks much more like a Kingdom Hearts or tri-Ace game than the rest of the series. Something about the character designs and the colors. I guess they're targeting a younger crowd?

Goli

I'm by no means familiar with the Chaos Rings series, so I could be totally wrong about this, but my impression of the screens is that it now looks much more like a Kingdom Hearts or tri-Ace game than the rest of the series. Something about the character designs and the colors. I guess they're targeting a younger crowd?

Yeah, I get this impression too. The other Chaos Rings games were a lot more "mature" looking visually, and the fact that Yusuke Naora isn't returning along with this visual shift have me a little worried that the storyline will also be something more fitting for a younger audience, which wasn't really the case for the other entries, which had some pretty... strange themes.

Dragun619

yea, this ain't Type-0, but I guess this is a start. Was thinking they would completely drop vita support after FFX/X-2 HD.

Glad, they still have something upcoming for the Vita, even if they don't localize it.

Only played the first Chaos Rings but I quite enjoyed it. The combat was fun enough and the overarching story (which required a lot of playthroughs to learn) was actually unique and well executed, if a little insane.

Will pick up on sale.

RM8

How's the gameplay in these games? I've been meaning to give them a chance, but I only play RPGs with fun battle systems since I mostly don't care about story, lol. Same with music, how's the music?

hongcha

This is great news. Chaos Rings II was awesome, I am hopeful this will be of comparable quality. Hard to choose between iOS and Vita, but I will probably go with the latter.

Kinsei

Banned
Of course this would be announced an hour after I bought the first Chaos Rings. Oh well, the games is a ton of fun so I won't mind double dipping if there's any big improvements.

The new art style in Chaos Rings III is a huge downgrade.

Ulumsk

I've had the Chaos Rings games in my App Store Wishlist for ages. With the Vita version I think I'll make the jump.

wrowa

Huh! This game doesn't look like the Chaos Rings I remember. Wasn't a fan of the first one (and haven't played any other, either), but it at least had kind of an interesing art style. This just looks a lot more generic. Huh.

NolbertoS

I bought this on IOS, but wasn't a fan of touchpad controls. Might give it a buy on the Vita if its like 19.99 for all 3-4 games.

Reveirg

MediaVision is keeping busy. Shining Resonance and Phantasy Star Nova, and now this!

I'm really hoping at least ONE of these 3 games will be localized. If the VITA version of Chaos Rings III releases here, day one buy for me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
MediaVision is keeping busy. Shining Resonance and Phantasy Star Nova, and now this!

I'm really hoping at least ONE of these 3 games will be localized. If the VITA version of Chaos Rings III releases here, day one buy for me.
Phantasy Star Nova is tri-Ace.

They are making a Digimon Vita game though.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Was there a localization announcement somewhere in there I missed? Dunno whatcha'll all excited about. Cause you know, we get all the games we want localized, localized... One of the mods will probably say something though. I hope it's good news.

Top Bottom