• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SE practically guaranteed to localize Bravely Default after 1000 signature petition!!

Tex117

Banned
I mean, why square tends to not release their good games in the West is beyond me.

Dat Art...looks like old school FF's.

Pupsicles

Is Theatrhythm any good ?

I read it is rythm based game, but is hyped, what is special about it ?

Theatrhythm is very good, if you have played all the final fantasies and can appreciate the music. It's sort of a mix between guitar hero and Final Fantasy, it's really shiny and beautiful with the rythemic gameplay.

I guess most people like it because of the nostalgia that it brings back, it's alos a good pick up and play game and playing more songs will allow you to unlock more stuff.

Overall, worth the $25 I paid on Amazon goldbox deal.

frequency

I mean, why square tends to not release their good games in the West is beyond me.

This is a big game. I'm about 40 hours in and I don't feel like I'm even close to the end yet. This would be a bigger localization project than typical on handhelds I think.

How well do 3DS games do in the West? Maybe Square just can't justify the cost.

Famassu

They used to release most all of their games (especially the good ones) except for some anime tie-ins and some more obscure titles only 5 people outside Japan (and 10 IN Japan) are interested in. Those sold like shit and their 3DS software sales so far haven't been the strongest ever so... yeah. Not really that hard to figure out why it's not out yet, as it would probably be an expensive localization. Still, I don't think we are at a stage where we can write off SQEX localizing Bravely Default completely. They are perhaps simply just not prioritizing it over other projects so they'll bring it over when they don't have anything else on the line or maybe Nintendo will finally help bring it over (they've collaborated with Nintendo in the past with the Dragon Quest DS remakes).

Soriku

Some possible good news on the game's localization? There's someone on GameFAQs who posts on the BD board and is supposedly an insider.

His first post last December:

I am something of an "insider" so to speak and from everything I've heard, Bravely Default is not even on the table as of right now.

Square-Enix usually holds a meeting on a bimonthly basis regarding releasing products "overseas." (EU/US) The last meeting was held mid December and Bravely Default wasn't one of them.

I suppose it is too early to hope for an announcement. However I do understand Kotaku's reaction. IT is infuriating for many EU/US gamers to see that they're only given the scraps.

I myself sometime feel bad for them as most of the people with executive powers over the localisation's decisions have no clue/ disregard what the demand is. It may sound counter-intuitive in such a competitive market and challenging economy, however, keep in mind that here in Japan, it's a safer bet to launch yet another card/social game (like the upcoming Final Fantasy Art collection card "game.")

Later, when the All the Bravest trademark popped up:

Hello again folks.

Alright so about the "All the bravest" project and the fact that they've registered two or three domain names at the end of November/start of December.

First of all, it is common practice for many companies to register domain names for games, even if their localisation hasn't been decided yet. The department in charge of registering domains/ paying off web squatters/ maintenance of the above-mentioned websites has the go ahead to do so as soon as they have a project name.

It is unfortunately not synonymous with an imminent announcement. I do not nor pretend to know what this "All the bravest" project is about, only that Bravely Default wasn't discussed for localisation during the mid-December meeting.

It may be that it's possible that they've decided on an hypothetical product name for when/if the product is considered for localisation. It's all it takes for the department to start registering domain names. To cover your back so to speak.

About "one-shot" games that I'd like to see again, Einhander, Vagrant Story (If only Matsuno Yasumi could come back...) Live a Live and an old favourite, Rudora no hinou.

I'll end this message by saying that unfortunately, apart from the ultimate blockbusters like the numbered Final Fantasy games, NO (and I mean it) game is ever considered for a localisation from the start/ producing stages.

And that means a lot when you're trying to understand what's going on with those Japanese companies. If they did, they would be able to streamline their production/localisation processes a lot more. A valid example is the use of comics style bubbles for dialogues which cannot be resized post production. A real plague for any serious localisation team.

I hope for all the non-japanese speakers that they will one day change their minds, but from all the meetings I've attended, I fear it won't be happening anytime soon.

About a February meeting:
As i told you guys before, the next meeting concerning hypothetical localisations will be mid-February.

Even if they wanted to announce something they couldn't. That's how a japanese company works. It's how stupid it has become, will let you guys know if it shows up during the meeting or not...

I hope it does for your guys' sake, it is a nice game, albeit not as great as some people may make it sound, I enjoyed Sekaiju no Meikyuu much more.

Yesterday:

Hello there.

Guess who has good news for you.
Bravely Default will be localised, the decision has been made.
So that's for the good news.

Now for the less good: No date or even a hint of a deadline has been set for the START of the localisation. It seems they're not in any hurry to earn more money and garner respect from the player base.

However this comes with another big news: Something big will happen in Japan around September/start of 4th quarter and it's about a certain FF title haha but I really can't say more. They're currently meeting some of the biggest retailers concerning a big advertising campaign.

I don't know when this will be officially announced however but I suppose this should be good enough news.
Rejoice and be happy. (And keep this quiet if possible. ;p)

Magius posts there too so he can chime in.

so, IF this is true and the guy's legit, what's this FF title? The new one announced at E3? Versus? A remake of the 7? Final Fantasy 1 4K?

edit : Ho no. I forgot Lightning returns. Crud.

jwhit28

Would a year really be that unreasonable for a localization? I would give up if no announcement by the end of August.

With Iwata promising that Nintendo will help third-parties bring their games to west, this is practically guaranteed. It crossed the 250k mark in Japan, so it's ripe for localization.

nasos_333

Are we sure this is legit ?

The guy that posted this is supposdly the one that confirmed All the Bravest was unrelated to Bravely Defualt far before it was announced as a FF title

So, chances are it is legid and coincides indeed with the February Square meeting about localization decisions

but only time will tell, it is better than nothing for sure

Pikma

Banned
So if this is true it confirms what we have known so far, that SE is sitting on it and they won't do shit until the last moment when they feel like needing a wildcard? I really hope I eat crow with this one.

With Iwata promising that Nintendo will help third-parties bring their games to west, this is practically guaranteed. It crossed the 250k mark in Japan, so it's ripe for localization.
If there are two titles Nintendo needs to consider for said program, they're DQVII and Bravely Default.

Eusis

I'll wait until I see it shown off... but the fact it sold far beyond expectations (err, right?) and Iwata wanting to push for international releases of Japanese games does make me cautiously optimistic rather than vaguely pessimistic. Kind of going from glass half empty to glass half full, but the water level's still the same.

I hope those posts are legit. I don't mind waiting as I have to real personal hype for the game, but if it's good then I want to see it here. Also, I'd like to actually be impressed with a SE game for once.

Still depressing. Rumors of unconfirmed localization that hadn't even begun with no set release date? Yeah, still hopeless that this comes over.

Akai

If there are two titles Nintendo needs to consider for said program, they're DQVII and Bravely Default.

No, absolutely not. Nintendo should use their resources to bring over games from smaller developers that are having trouble finding publishers. Square-Enix needs to get off their lazy asses and do their own damn work for once instead of relying on Nintendo's good will...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The guy that posted this is supposdly the one that confirmed All the Bravest was unrelated to Bravely Defualt far before it was announced as a FF title

So, chances are it is legid and coincides indeed with the February Square meeting about localization decisions

but only time will tell, it is better than nothing for sure

He's not exactly going out on a limb with any of his insider knowledge.

I'm pretty sure SE is going to publish it out west but that they are certainly taking their time about it.

Eusis

No, absolutely not. Nintendo should use their resources to bring over games from smaller developers that are having trouble finding publishers. Square-Enix needs to get off their lazy asses and do their own damn work for once instead of relying on Nintendo's good will...
Nintendo wants the 3DS to gain more visibility first and foremost, which wasn't really an issue on DS or GBA (hell, it's not even as big a deal here as on Vita.) For that they'll want to get stuff like this pushed over here, though they'd probably focus on some stuff that couldn't get a publisher otherwise, I actually suspect the Layton series was this initially as it was Level 5's first self published title, but without NA/EU branches.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
GameFAQs guy doesn't sound very legitimate. The complete and utter hedge on the All the Bravest thing is one thing, the fact that in the first few posts he sounds like he knows someone who is in the meeting, but the "Something big happening 4th quarter I can't talk about" implies he personally was in the meeting. Whole thing seems sketchy. Especially if that last post came after the Sony PS4 announcement conference, in which case it just seems like reasonable speculation.

Tomorrow I'll post some insider info from the Smash 4 boards, believe me when I say yall ain't ready.

Anyway, hard to believe, especially that last bit.

nasos_333

Theoretically, how long would a localization take? And when would be a feasible release date?

I guess we can have hope even for this year if all goes well

GameFAQs guy doesn't sound very legitimate. The complete and utter hedge on the All the Bravest thing is one thing, the fact that in the first few posts he sounds like he knows someone who is in the meeting, but the "Something big happening 4th quarter I can't talk about" implies he personally was in the meeting. Whole thing seems sketchy. Especially if that last post came after the Sony PS4 announcement conference, in which case it just seems like reasonable speculation.

Maybe he was reluctant to reveal his presence there, since could be obvious as to whom he is

He was spot on with the All the bravest thing though, so why not be legit ?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's legit considering it would make sense.

Release date is likely after Pokemon X/Y. Unless Square is a complete stupidass.

And the biannual Western meetings ARE a thing.

Pikma

Banned

I agree with you, but we both know that if Nintendo doesn't do anything, they won't do shit by themselves. Nintendo is the reason we got the DQ games for the DS.

jay

Maybe he was reluctant to reveal his presence there, since could be obvious as to whom he is

He was spot on with the All the bravest thing though, so why not be legit ?

If this guy is in meetings, he would know what All the Bravest is.

Top Bottom