• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves announces Anniversary Update with free items and new quests

BionicRoo

Sea of Thieves fans will get free items, new quests, a competitive mode and a new trading company as part of an update to mark a year since the popular shared-world adventure title was released.

The Anniversary Update will be available next month, with the makers of the pirate-themed game calling it a “game changer”.

Full story here.

Sea-of-Thieves.jpg

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Would be nice if they did something for new players. Better matchmaking and a tutorial would be a start. I want to play this game, but it's been fucking pointless trying at this point.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Well...Is not quantum physic...what tutorial do you Need?
How about one that walks you through a mission with an AI crew? Buy really, I would take basic explanations on how the games systems work.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

How about one that walks you through a mission with an AI crew? Buy really, I would take basic explanations on how the games systems work.

There is no AI crew. SOT is either solo, with friends or randoms. Just start out solo in a sloop and get the basics down. Compared to something like Elite Dangerous, SOT is pretty easy to get comfortable with the gameplay mechanics.

After skimming over several crappy beginner's guides, I found this excellent beginner's guide. She has three SOT beginner guide videos, all less than ten minutes and they cover everything you need to know to get started.

Here is the trailer for the new Sea of Thieves: Anniversary Update.

Mega Man

I haven't played much since launch. Is there more to do and is it more viable to play solo?
The world has certainly filled in quite a bit. It seems like there is always something to do, something attacking you, or something to evade on the seas now. Definitely more engaging with friends, but Solo can be a fun ride as well.

MilkyJoe

Would be nice if they did something for new players. Better matchmaking and a tutorial would be a start. I want to play this game, but it's been fucking pointless trying at this point.

What? Every single player got thrown in the deep end and it's really not difficult to get going. Just jump in.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
When do they make a i game tutorial so I can learn how to play the game?

-MD-

I tried playing solo, wasn't even capable on setting sails

It's honestly easy.

Raise your anchor, look for the gust of wind in the air, lower your sails, turn them so the wind catches the sails and makes you go.

If you want to go slower raise your sails a bit so they catch less wind, if you want to stop moving raise them all the way or drop your anchor.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I really, really hope they go a full sp/coop experience with the second, of there is one. Proper missions with a story. The game was amazing despite what a lot say, and visually one of the nicest this generation.

ultrazilla

Is this update live? Might have to re-install the game.

EDIT: April 30th. I'll wait until then.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
It's honestly easy.

Raise your anchor, look for the gust of wind in the air, lower your sails, turn them so the wind catches the sails and makes you go.

If you want to go slower raise your sails a bit so they catch less wind, if you want to stop moving raise them all the way or drop your anchor.

That sounds like something that might warrant a bit of a tutorial.

Even Souls games explain basic movement to you in the opening areas.

-MD-

That sounds like something that might warrant a bit of a tutorial.

Even Souls games explain basic movement to you in the opening areas.

I figured all that out within 20 minutes of launching the game. I'm not saying it wouldn't benefit from a tutorial but people need to just play their games and try things.

There is no 'progression' in the game as we think of it in a live-service game. A pirate legend has the exact same health and mechanical combat capability as a fresh character. I met virtually all of my xbox friends just playing with randos on this game.

I dropped off a few months after Forsaken Shores, so I'm a tad bit out of date, but what would you like to know?

I love the new ways regular cannonballs will be able to cripple ships temporarily. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally shot a mast, annoyed that it did virtually zero damage. The wheel and capstone damage is also incredible from a tactics standpoint.

The fishing and cooking mechanics look like they will give you a lot more to do during long voyages, if anything just to farm up healing items. It will also give animals a use when you aren't doing merchant quests.

Imma fuck with people with that harpoon gun. Honestly my favorite aspect is for a crewmember to stay on the boat, and hookshot chests and skulls right off the beach. That Meg is also going to be my personal bitch.

There is no 'progression' in the game as we think of it in a live-service game. A pirate legend has the exact same health and mechanical combat capability as a fresh character. I met virtually all of my xbox friends just playing with randos on this game.

I dropped off a few months after Forsaken Shores, so I'm a tad bit out of date, but what would you like to know?

Would you say Rare lied about the game?

Kenpachii

"populaire"

The only traction it got was when a twitch player played the game a bit, he moved on a long time ago.

It has been on life support already from day one.

Braldryr

Banned

You should really get into the Souls series my man and Sekiro. Those game would be right up your alley.

Sea of Thieves is too easy bro.

Last edited:
Online co-op isn't my cup of tea, but apparently there is a thriving community for the game. Just look at the subreddit, 149K subs.

how's the pvp right now, can i run solo and wreck people if i'm super skilled?

It was easy to do that before.. it’s harder now they have introduced ship damage. You could skirt and kite bigger ships and pick away then shoot over to them while they are repairing to fuck their shit up. With harpoons and heavy game changing damage that’s no longer as easy to do solo.

They added 1000 game score though so that will get me back.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I’m downloading the update right now. I’m really looking forward to the Tall Tales adventures. Sea of Thieves has that unique Rare charm that pulls you in, but there have only been a few story missions so far. The SoT charm, combined with a little mystery and adventure could be something really special.

It looks like there are nine Tall Tales adventures. Woot!

Last edited:
Top Bottom