• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves Gameplay Launch Trailer

Typhares

I didn't get the chance to try the beta so still don't know what to think about this game. It looks interesting but at the same time I think I'd get bored quickly.

Banned
You can see some of that Post-Nintendo Rare polish at 00:23. They didn't even bother to animate the characters flying away from the explosion, and their character models just freeze.

Lort

Banned
You can see some of that Post-Nintendo Rare polish at 00:23. They didn't even bother to animate the characters flying away from the explosion, and their character models just freeze.

Lol i cant think of one game that does rag doll on non dead characters. What a rediculous thing to focus on. Thats in game gameplay not some cut scene.

Graphics look amazing, super fun coop gameplay.

MDSLKTR

I can't believe nfans are still salty over rare after all these years

VAL0R

Banned
Looks great! Could this finally be the long awaited Rare return to greatness?

Hoping for Rare's own Spinal from KI to make an appearance. Just hanging out drinking a pint in a smoke-filled pub at a table with pirates that look an awful lot like Jago, Orchid and T.J. Combo. Maybe a big blue wolfdog at their feet.

killer-instinct-classic-spinal-g.jpg

Any idea when reviews will be up? Or is this going to be one of those games that can't really be reviewed until after it's available to the public?

MilkyJoe

Are you a house fly? They left the screen in about a tenth of a second. Jesus wept...

Last edited:

MrDanGuy

Looks great. The beta has been fun, and can’t wait to play it more. People are going to hate all of this game though claiming it’s too empty for them due to them being way to serious about competitive gaming. This game is suppose to be played like an adventure when you were younger which makes it amazing in my book.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Still looks like a F2P Disney game. I'm sure people will love it for the first 10 hours and then realize there is nothing more to do.

Leocarian

Banned
I've seen many responses like this... hope it's not true that it is a shallow game

Here at Gaming Instincts, we have been playing the game very consistently over the last few stress tests and betas. And so far my personal impressions that this is going to be one of the best games of the year and a surprise hit for a lot of people. Also, this is going to be one of the best if not the best games to streams. As far as lack of content, I can kind of see where you coming from because I had the same thought when I first played my 10 hours or so, but the nature of the game is very addicting and the last final beta test did not have all the content in the game so there is more to come at launch. Over the course of all the beta tests/stress test I've had some of the most fun I ever had in a game for a very long time and a ton of cool stories to tell to my friends and colleagues. Overall, I probably put more than 30 hours into Sea of Thieves already and I could not get enough of it. This game is a huge breath of fresh of air due to the nature of Create your Own adventure gameplay that Sea of Thieves provide as opposed to your usual hand holding and chapter-based progression or RPG systems/mechanics in online games. Stay tuned, we will be doing a lot of coverage for Sea of Thieves next week including the game's final review.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
I’m optimistic and I have the game pass thing so I don’t have to up any substantial coin. Kameo is still one of my favorite games from Microsoft/Rare.

Leocarian

Banned
I’m optimistic and I have the game pass thing so I don’t have to up any substantial coin. Kameo is still one of my favorite games from Microsoft/Rare.

I think Kameo: Elements of Power is one of the most underrated and underappreciated games. I'll never forget it, Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo: Elements of Power on Xbox 360's launch day, what a time to be alive that was.

highrider

Banned
I think Kameo: Elements of Power is one of the most underrated and underappreciated games. I'll never forget it, Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo: Elements of Power on Xbox 360's launch day, what a time to be alive that was.

I’ve never understood why it seemed Rare was the designated family game studio after that. For me even with their imperfections those two games particularly for console launch titles showed kind of unlimited promise for the future of Rare.

rokkerkory

Here at Gaming Instincts, we have been playing the game very consistently over the last few stress tests and betas. And so far my personal impressions that this is going to be one of the best games of the year and a surprise hit for a lot of people. Also, this is going to be one of the best if not the best games to streams. As far as lack of content, I can kind of see where you coming from because I had the same thought when I first played my 10 hours or so, but the nature of the game is very addicting and the last final beta test did not have all the content in the game so there is more to come at launch. Over the course of all the beta tests/stress test I've had some of the most fun I ever had in a game for a very long time and a ton of cool stories to tell to my friends and colleagues. Overall, I probably put more than 30 hours into Sea of Thieves already and I could not get enough of it. This game is a huge breath of fresh of air due to the nature of Create your Own adventure gameplay that Sea of Thieves provide as opposed to your usual hand holding and chapter-based progression or RPG systems/mechanics in online games. Stay tuned, we will be doing a lot of coverage for Sea of Thieves next week including the game's final review.

Thanks for this insight!

Leocarian

Banned
I’ve never understood why it seemed Rare was the designated family game studio after that. For me even with their imperfections those two games particularly for console launch titles showed kind of unlimited promise for the future of Rare.

Yeah, well...you can thank Don Mattrick for that for sending Team Xbox in a bad and dumb direction with Kinect and all those things. By the way, Viva Pinata 1 and 2 are one of my top favorite games for Xbox 360. I'd kill for a 3rd game on Xbox One.

Thanks for this insight!

No problem. I forgot to mention that Rare did confirm new content/major updates will be happening within the first 3 months after the game's release.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This is what I've been holding my game pass for.

I prefer my physical titles, but rarely do I get them (as I order online) until near the end of the day. I may just spend the extra 10 dollars so I can download the game and play while I await my physical copy.

I am quite excited for this game. I put a good bit of time into the last few betas and I enjoyed every minute of it. Even if that was all there was to the game, I would still have gotten more fun out of it than other 60 dollar titles, however there seems to be more - much more. In less than five days, I will gather my crew and sing jaunty toons while we annoy every other pirate on the seas.

This will be my first proper use of the Gamepass, I'm looking forward to it. And these types of games, MMO/MMO-lite, never have enough content at launch. People blow through every single MMO's content in under a month for every MMO since UO. These kind of games are more "in it for the long haul" and should have quite a bit of content later down the road, too much in some cases.

As long as Rare/MS sticks with SoT, I only see it getting better. It looks to have a solid foundation from which to add more content.

bucyou

Considering picking this up to have a reason to actually turn on my xbox since i got tired of forza..

Hari Seldon

After playing the beta I would definitely recommend waiting a month after release and see what the opinions of it are then.

RPS37

If you're still wondering about what you can do in Sea Of Thieves, I recommend watching this video.

Leocarian

Banned
I've seen many responses like this... hope it's not true that it is a shallow game

Just ignore those types of people. They're sad and lonely, so they have to shit on others and make someone else feel bad because they have no imagination or passion for anything in life. Translation - Don't feed the trolls.

WaterAstro

Alright, let's see how much more there is from the beta.
Trade quest, skeleton global event, kraken, all shown before.

Pretty much what I thought, and they really tried to sidestep the lack of progression with those ship and character skins.

Typhares

A few people very defensive about a game here, I don't think people doubting the longevity of Sea of Thieves warrant being called an 'asshole' or 'sad and lonely'. If you liked and enjoyed the game good for you.
Even after watching the video from RPS37 RPS37 I still don't get it. I mean I've played plenty of mmos that had way more things than that and they still crashed and burned.
If it wasn't a full priced game I would give it a go just to be sure but I'm not willing to invest that much on a chance.

I can't believe nfans are still salty over rare after all these years
Nintendo fans are a special breed. Gotta love them.
I'm only paying $10 for it.
Sure, but it's still $60 MSRP.
But yes, those interested in the game should probably take advantage of the Game Pass considering all the concerns about longevity. I know I will! Looking forward to finally playing it without any test limitations.
the water simulation is impressive, no doubt they devoted lots of time and resources to that
Yeah it's incredible. Makes me wish they would share the tech because water in other games is severely lacking in comparison (namely, FFXV which I have been playing over the past week).

Last edited:

shpankey

not an idiot
EDIT: already answered above, so ignore the below, since you're PC only.

If it wasn't a full priced game I would give it a go just to be sure but I'm not willing to invest that much on a chance.
Sign up for free 14 days Game Pass. Play the game for free. Cancel if you don't like it, or pay $10 a month thereafter to play free games monthly and cancel whenever you've had your fill.

Last edited:

Typhares

I mean I hope the game is fairly successful, I could see picking it up when it's more fleshed out, maybe on a sale. Does the window store have sales?

VAL0R

Banned
Yes that's a good deal but I don't have an Xbox, I'd play with my friends on PC.

Sea of Thieves is an Xbox Play Anywhere title, also available on Game Pass. If you only play 2 new MS Play Anywhere titles a year the Game Pass value is there for you as a PC gamer.

$60/game x 2 annual MS PA games = $120
$10/month Game Pass fee x 12 months = $120 **

**With this option your Game Pass gets you access to not only the 2 MS PA games you might have purchased, but every MS PA title in the Game Pass library for $0.00 extra.

Top Bottom