• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves over 1 million unique players under 48h and a developer launch update video.

Leonidas

Yet, why would anybody buy this for $60 if you have this option. You can basically play for free on a gamepass trial too and play for 14 days and then cancel...This also means that MS first parties won't be as competitive on the NPD, which is what most use as a litmust for a game's success. Their gamepass strategy is a huge gamble, especially this late in the generation. This could backfire hard on MS and their investors.

Looks like their gamble paid off.

I don't own an Xbox but this games previews made me wish I did.

Its really unfortunate that it lacked content though it seemed obvious when that's all they ever showed and the devs Role played the hell out of the streams.

Hopefully they add in a shit ton of quests and other things because it seems to have a solid base. If they make the expansions paid that would be a dick move.

I do hope this game shapes up one day

-MD-

SoT was mediocre and undercooked but I'm glad Rares first real game in a decade was successful for them.

See, this is why I have to reply to off-topic comments because you guys keep twisting and attack what I say nonsensically.

I said $10 towards buying Far Cry 5.

I don't think they're going to put every new, big first party title on Gamepass, at least not right away. They definitely saw Sea of Thieves for what it is and was willing to make some money off of it by putting it on Gamepass right away. If they are going to put every first party title on gamepass right away, then you could be right. They could lose a ton of money on it because it effectively cuts their profits by a lot going from $60 to $10 (though not directly because that $10 could be more many other games).

I think if they had a good strategy, it would be to not release Sea of Thieves as $60 at all, and have it only available on Gamepass, but my guess is that their hands were tied since people probably preordered it years ago.

They already said they won't be adding content until 3 months after. That's not smart imo.

It's funny how you told everyone what is smart and what isn't smart as though you had any idea what you were talking about. You also made comments that Hello Games would support No Mans Sky but Rare would not because Sea of Thieves would flop and die quickly. There are now more than 5 million people who have played it and sales exceeded expectations. The game continues to get content and they have multiple teams making content for it too. So there you go. Anything to do with Microsoft should not have you involved in the discussions because your biased views will not, and does not, have any meaningful input.

Sea of Thieves now played by more than five million people

Last edited:
Top Bottom