• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seagate - 1TB Game Drive for Xbox Series X and Series S Is $220 / 270€

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Expansion storage cost from third-party providers has nothing to do with GamePass though

I know it does not, hence the pointing and chuckling 🤭. Proprietary memory card vs open market storage again proven in terms of cost (and speed too this time) before the consoles are even out yet. I thought it would take a few months after launch at least...

Last edited:
It still has one feature I doubt the normal NVME drives have. You can pull it out and take your games to a friend's house. It's totally hot swappable. It's very console like. Pretty surprising coming from a PC company. Hopefully the price will improve with time. I don't see it being $200 3 years from now.

Last edited:
It still has one feature I doubt the normal NVME drives have. You can pull it out and take your games to a friend's house. It's totally hot swappable. It's very console like. Pretty surprising coming from a PC company. Hopefully the price will improve with time. I don't see it being $200 3 years from now.

I would imagine you would need to sign on to your account on your friends console.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Suddenly I’m not so sure the XBOX Series S is such a good deal now when you will inevitably run out of memory on it by installing like 3 games.
Nonsense. You can fit a good 8-10 games on there. Just store the games you aren't playing on the external and when you're ready to play them copy them over. If you can't limit yourself to 8-10 games at one time then it's time to develop better gaming habits.

Nonsense. You can fit a good 8-10 games on there. Just store the games you aren't playing on the external and when you're ready to play them copy them over. If you can't limit yourself to 8-10 games at one time then it's time to develop better gaming habits.

It’s still an inconvenience and I have a feeling most AAA or even AA are going to take up more memory than this generation did. 50GB to 100GB will probably be average. I think the new COD will be around 150-200GB’s at least and who knows with something like GTA6.

How much free space are you really getting on a Series S? 330GB’s? Maybe 400GB’s generously speaking? It’s not so bad if you are playing smaller games, but you know most gamers will want to play those larger AAA games. Also, I could of sworn I heard deleting games consistently eventually damages the SSD.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It’s still an inconvenience and I have a feeling most AAA or even AA are going to take up more memory than this generation did. 50GB to 100GB will probably be average. I think the new COD will be around 150-200GB’s at least and who knows with something like GTA6.

How much free space are you really getting on a Series S? 330GB’s? Maybe 400GB’s generously speaking? It’s not so bad if you are playing smaller games, but you know most gamers will want to play those larger AAA games. Also, I could of sworn I heard deleting games consistently eventually damages the SSD.
Its an inconvenience Series S owners are going to have to suck it up and deal with. You paid for a $300 console and cost saving measures are necessary.
50 -100GB can give you a good 8 -15 games to have on an XSX.
Yes, constantly deleting will damage the SSD which is EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS WITH ANY STORAGE MEDIA! Everything eventually fails. But it requires YEARS of constant writing and rewriting to cause significant issues.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Sold out now. At least it’s a good sign that you’ll probably see decent drops and sales over time.
How is that a sign? PS5, XSX, Geforce 3080 and 3090 are sold out everywhere, but you can bet your left nut those won't be getting a price drop any time soon.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I see what you mean now but that old math didn't work out: 50-100GB does not give you 8-15 games.
Ummm, yes it did.

You can install roughly 15 (maybe 16) games that are around 50GB. That's likely the upper limit.
You can install roughly 8 games that are around the 100GB. That's likely the lower limit.
This wasn't hard to figure out.

Last edited:

notseqi

Ummm, yes it did.

You can install roughly 15 games that are around 50GB. That's likely the upper limit.
You can install roughly 8 games that are around the 100GB. That's likely the lower limit.
This wasn't hard to figure out.
Stop being a condescending prick and take your comment I read:
'50 -100GB can give you a good 8 -15 games to have on an XSX.'
I immediately checked my game folder and excluding the steam folder nothing is below 24.2GB.

It's fine that we spoke about different things but being a nutbag about it doesn't make a good discussion.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Stop being a condescending prick and take your comment I read:
'50 -100GB can give you a good 8 -15 games to have on an XSX.'
I immediately checked my game folder and excluding the steam folder nothing is below 24.2GB.

It's fine that we spoke about different things but being a nutbag about it doesn't make a good discussion.
Peace
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
next gen consoles are 800 euros really
add a game and controller.

let's call it 1000

Last edited:

GloveSlap

I wonder if its technically possible for them to come out with an official enclosure that plugs in the back that houses standard NVME drives. Maybe even a 3rd party.

DESTROYA

Yes. If the game isn't free you'd have to sign in. A small step which is easier than your friend buying the game and downloading it.
Or you can just bring the game disc itself and forget all the other BS excuses.
Another reason I can't get into a all digital future or console.

Its an inconvenience Series S owners are going to have to suck it up and deal with. You paid for a $300 console and cost saving measures are necessary.
50 -100GB can give you a good 8 -15 games to have on an XSX.
Yes, constantly deleting will damage the SSD which is EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS WITH ANY STORAGE MEDIA! Everything eventually fails. But it requires YEARS of constant writing and rewriting to cause significant issues.

You can probably install “close” to that number of games on an XSX, but I was talking about the XSS where the lack of memory could become an issue which makes the cheaper price point look less desirable when an external SSD is basically a necessity. Games probably started out much smaller in memory this generation compared to next generation which will lead to more space management at a much faster time frame and more deleting, but we’ll see.

I was just saying, the XSS doesn’t seem like a great value if you download a lot of games or play AAA games mostly, but then again the XSS probably isn’t really marketed to those type of gamers anyway.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You can probably install “close” to that number of games on an XSX, but I was talking about the XSS where the lack of memory could become an issue which makes the cheaper price point look less desirable when an external SSD is basically a necessity. Games probably started out much smaller in memory this generation compared to next generation which will lead to more space management at a much faster time frame, but we’ll see.

I was just saying, the XSS doesn’t seem like a great value if you download a lot of games or play AAA games mostly, but then again the XSS probably isn’t really marketed to those type of gamers anyway.
The XSS is dead to me.

Or you can just bring the game disc itself and forget all the other BS excuses.
Another reason I can't get into a all digital future or console.
Those discs still require a download friend. That also assumes the game is available on disc.

The XSS is dead to me.
Looks like it isn't targeting you. It's not meant to be a console for the hardcore gamer. A causal fan will find its storage sufficient. Plus XSS games will be smaller with smart delivery.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Those discs still require a download friend. That also assumes the game is available on disc.
Stiill much cheaper to download and most games will most likely come on disc.
So you would rather blow a couple of hundred bucks then wait 5 minutes to download a game.

I wouldn't worry too much about SSD drive durability. For starters, new SSDs are far more durable than older models were, and even the older models were fine. A lot of the concern about SSDs was directed by the same type of people that were adamant that drum brakes were just as good as disk brakes.

These are my oldest SSDs, both bought at the end of 2015. One was my C: drive until I replaced it with an NVMe SSD drive. After that it was tasked with being a Fallout 4/modding drive, where I was constantly downloading and deleting mods for the game since 2015, 22.5TB worth of writes over a solid two years powered on since early 2016. I've turned my PC on just about once a day for 5 years. After work on weekdays, and in the morning on weekends, then shut down every night so everything can self-update.

Nn4R44K.jpg

The second oldest SSD is a drive that I use for typical gaming. I store all my game files on a large bulk drive. When I want to play one that benefits from the SSD, I copy it over from the HDD. When I'm done playing I delete it to make room for the next game. This drive doesn't have nearly as many writes as the other drive but close to the same hours.

LnkwZjl.jpg

It would make a lot more sense on the new consoles to just plug in an external HDD or SSD until the pricing for these new drives goes down. Moving games between bulk storage and the SSD is cheaper than buying another small SSD, as you can get a 6TB external drive for less than a 1TB expansion card. It's faster than re-downloading a game if you delete it and want to play it again later, and the long term effects of rewriting on SSDs are really exaggerated.

The formula below calculates SSD lifespan. The equation is write cycles x capacity, over SSD factor x data written per year. For example, we'll measure the Samsung 850 PRO, a TLC SSD with 1TB capacity.

Write Cycles = 3000

Capacity = 1TB (1000GB)

SSD factor: real amount of data to actual data written = estimate 5 Amount of data written to the drive per year = estimate 1500-2000GB.

Using these numbers, your equation will be 3000 (write cycles) x 1000 (GB capacity) / 5 (SSD factor) x 1750 (GB written to drive per year) = 342 years.

No one is saying that the SSD is going to be error-free for 342 years, or that the technology will exist anymore. But we can be reasonably certain that assuming these numbers, its oxide layer will last this long.

The drive in the new Xbox consoles appears to be a modified version of the new CFExpress card, which might explain it being so easily swappable. The CFE cards are made for use in media and recording devices like cameras. It has an identical interface and even the shell appears to be the same. The Xbox card adds a second casing around the base of the CFE card to use as a grip to pull the card from it's slot.

CFE cards are also very pricey. A 512GB CFE card with slower speeds than the Xbox memory card currently sell for more than the price of the Xbox Series X itself.

reinking

Gold Member
Looks like it isn't targeting you. It's not meant to be a console for the hardcore gamer. A causal fan will find its storage sufficient. Plus XSS games will be smaller with smart delivery.
As quiet as MS has become talking about it lately it seems to be dead to everyone. How much usable space is going to be available on the unit? 315GB is not going to cut it for an all digital console. Especially one that relies on Game Pass (that is the big selling point most people point out). At least I knew right away I was not going to be suckered into the S. Series X is a much better bargain and people should spend that extra $$ for storage on upgrading to the Series X.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Of course not. I can agree that XSS storage is a bit small, but XSX, no? 1TB is more than enough and Smart Delivery has a lot of potential. I recall reading (although Ill believe it when I see it) is that game installations contain many duplicate files for faster access, which could be eliminated in XSX and PS5, meaning game installation could get smaller. I will, of course, believe it when I see it.

notseqi

Of course not. I can agree that XSS storage is a bit small, but XSX, no? 1TB is more than enough and Smart Delivery has a lot of potential. I recall reading (although Ill believe it when I see it) is that game installations contain many duplicate files for faster access, which could be eliminated in XSX and PS5, meaning game installation could get smaller. I will, of course, believe it when I see it.
There is no way I'd use that thing without a big drive connected to it for storage. I was flummoxed at how fast my 1TB SSD arrived at a worrying 90GB free space but here we are.

As quiet as MS has become talking about it lately it seems to be dead to everyone. How much usable space is going to be available on the unit? 315GB is not going to cut it for an all digital console. Especially one that relies on Game Pass (that is the big selling point most people point out). At least I knew right away I was not going to be suckered into the S. Series X is a much better bargain and people should spend that extra $$ for storage on upgrading to the Series X.
MS has gone back and forth promoting both of their consoles. A few weeks back they were showing the XSS running Dirt 5. We haven't seen the final storage for the XSS so it isn't clear if it will be a problem. Again for a casual fan it isn't likely that they'll have a system full of games. Maybe one or two and of course it still supports external hard drives and SSDs so you can swap in what you want. XSS is fine for its target audience.

Top Bottom