• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seagate is now shipping 12TB consumer drives

Paragon

Eh, SSDs in my last couple of laptops has shown me that I valuable speed over storage capacity. Cool for those that want this.
Well there's your problem. Laptop HDDs are slow, and constantly sleep to save power.
Desktop 7200 RPM HDDs have big caches, don't have to sleep, and can hit well over 200MB/s now.
Of course they are not nearly as fast as SSDs, but they're not slow like a laptop HDD.
In games especially, loading times are often limited by something other than the disk.

Never ever buy a Seagate drive
Seagate really killed their reputation with one or two drive lines that either had firmware issues or reliability problems, and buying Maxtor and rebranding them as lower-end Seagate drives was a big mistake in my opinion. Maxtor is a brand that I avoided at all costs no matter what model it was.
WD Green drives were notoriously unreliable - especially certain capacities of drive - but you don't see many people saying to avoid WD like the plague.
Generally speaking, most Seagate drives are fine. I will admit that I do typically pay a bit more to get an HGST or WD drive if the difference is not too big though.

Or a Hitachi Death Star
And yet HGST drives are at the top of most reliability charts these days.

The best thing anyone can do when buying a new HDD is to not use it for the first week or so, and use a tool like HD Sentinel to run at least two or three write+read passes over the entire surface of the disk - assuming that you have adequate cooling so you don't just cook them.
That's weeded out quite a few drives that I have bought which would have failed prematurely with data on them.

dr_rus

Never ever buy a Seagate drive

^

Or a Hitachi Death Star

While I generally agree that Seagate drives are pretty bad lately, HGST's (which is a part of WD now btw) drives are actually on top of both performance and reliability charts. Seagate drives are the cheapest ones though so you may certainly get one if you're prepared for the possible issues and know how to backup your data regularly - and it's a good idea to be prepared on any modern HDD really so Seagate isn't that much different from the rest of them.

The last 2 Seagate drives I bought are dead. Stick with Western Digital or Toshiba.

Both are basically on the same failure rate as Seagate these days.

sangreal

While I generally agree that Seagate drives are pretty bad lately, HGST's (which is a part of WD now btw) driver are actually on top of both performance and reliability charts. Seagate drives are the cheapest ones though so you may certainly get one if you're prepared for the possible issues and know how to backup your data regularly - and it's a good idea to be prepared on any modern HDD really so Seagate isn't that much different from the rest of them.

I don't know why they don't just change the DeskStar name. IBM ruined it 15 years ago and clearly people will never let it go

Ahasverus

I remember when I was blown away by my PC having 120GB of HDD. "How could one ever use that much space?" I asked while arranging my 112kbps, 200 mp3 collection.

VillageBC

I'd go with HGST but they were bought by WD so I expect a quality drop is incoming or already underway.

I've had bad luck with WD green drives so I'm not overly find of WD. Seagate laptop drives for me have been solid.

Rayderism

It would be more accurate to call it an 11TB drive.....approximately 11175TB after formatting. Gotta love the way companies pull that 1000/1024 crap to make it sound larger than it actually is in reality.

Tagyhag

My last Seagate died and at the worst time too lol.

Still, very cool to see consumer 12TB but after going full SSD I'd never get an HDD ever again.

Ryoku

The short answer is: It generally tends to depend on the drive.

Overall though, it seems like they've been doing better than Western Digital:

FY-2016-Failure-Rates-by-MFG.jpg

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-benchmark-stats-2016/
This is interesting as I have a WD 500GB that is about 10 years old now and it still works fine... Yeah, I have the important stuff backed up :p

Kareha

Just as a counterpoint to the people questioning Seagate reliability, the oldest HDD that is currently in use in my PC is a 2 TB Seagate knocking on for 6 years power on hours. I've never had any issues with Seagate drives, the only drive I've ever had fail on me was an old Maxtor drive it from an ancient PC.

Currently rocking a 512GB SSD for OS, 2TB SSD for game storage and 2x 10TB WD Gold HDDs for general storage (ISOs, Rips of Personal BDs etc.).

The last thing I need is a Seagate HDD... Even if it's 12TB.

Does the reliability of Seagate drives still suck, or have they gotten better?
I never had a Seagate drive fail on me once, and I've been buying them for almost 10 years.

Hell, my oldest Seagate HDD is still going strong on my little brother's Wii U almost 10 years later after the original purchase from Amazon.

On the other hand, not saying this experience speaks for EVERYONE, but the one time I purchased a WD, the HDD came broken, and I've went back to Seagate ever since, and had zero problems as a result. Again, not speaking for everyone. Only for myself.

Edit: Sounds awesome. As someone who HATES physical clutter, I love me some HDDs.

The_Balm

Just to add my two cents about Seagate. Several years ago I got a 750GB (I think) 2.5" drive from them. I think it was the biggest 2.5" drive available at the time. It died, so did a couple others that belonged to friends of mine. My warranty replacement for it also died. I haven't bought any Seagate drives since. Never say never, but as long as there's decent alternatives I won't buy from them again.

Bridges

Does the reliability of Seagate drives still suck, or have they gotten better?

I've had a 5TB for years no problems, just bought an 8TB last month and so far so good on that one too. No complaints here, but I can't speak to the quality of the older models.

FyreWulff

These drives are getting big enough that the only reasonable way to use them would be with full disk encryption for formatting them, because it'd take you for-fucking-ever to write over a drive when re-selling it or reformatting it. It's gonna get to the point where it's just gonna make sense to just trash the decryption key and consider the drive wiped.

jfoul

Seagate drives have been fine for awhile now.

I still think the Toshiba P300/X300 series are the best bang for the buck right now.

Yeah, I've been using a Toshiba X300 6TB for game storage and it's been great.

Main - 512GB Intel 600p M.2 SSD
Secondary - 750GB Crucial MX300 SSD
Media - 3TB Seagate ST3000DM HDD
Game Storage - 6TB Toshiba X300 HDD

kyser73

CERN uses Seagate HDDs - currently about 100 petabytes worth using the Sun ZFS file system - so I think using them at home will be ok.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I have to set aside some time fix the MBR of my Seagate 8TB external with testdisk. Are there any other tools I can use as the HDD currently shows up as the damn thing just went RAW on me about a month ago. It's unplugged now, just moving over 8TB of data is going to be a long time to haul some data across to a new HDD. I'm going to get some new ones soon so that is when I'll move the data over.

The only certain thing about a hard drive discussion, is that at least one person will say "never buy a ..." about each of the big brands.

Seagate are shit.
WD are shit.
Hitachi are shit.
Toshiba are shit.

I think that's everything covered.

Futaleufu

This is interesting as I have a WD 500GB that is about 10 years old now and it still works fine... Yeah, I have the important stuff backed up :p

I have a 40 mb Conner in one of my retro PCs still working. The irony is that Conner was bought by Seagate in the mid 90s.

CERN uses Seagate HDDs - currently about 100 petabytes worth using the Sun ZFS file system - so I think using them at home will be ok.

No one at home has multiple arrays of hard disks on RAIDs.

morpix

OMG, I just had the most insane nostalgia trip when I saw the thread title...
I remember 12GB drives being a big thing back in the Windows 98 days and people arguing if FAT32 (1 partition) would be slower than FAT16 (6 partitions)...

Excuse me being old.

dbztrk

The last 2 Seagate drives I bought are dead. Stick with Western Digital or Toshiba.

I have several Seagate 8TB external hard drives that are going strong. However, 3 of the WD digital external hard drives that I had all died within like 2 years.

However, I'm not sure if there is a difference between their internal vs external.

Madao

one of these would be good for my video needs. 200GB 2 hour raw videos fill up my current HDD pretty fast.

i'll wait a bit for prices to go down.

It was really only one specific size/model (a few varieties of the 4TB ST4000D) that ever sucked -- so no, you don't need to worry. As you can see, though, releasing a shit product has impact on your reputation even years later, and so a lot of people are superstitious about them (perhaps ignoring that every other HDD manufacturer has also had notorious high-failure models). Using the Backblaze drive stats from Q2 2017 you can see that only the ST4000D models have high failure rates.

Does that apply only to the earlier ST4000D models? I want to get a Seagate ST4000DM004 4TB because the value is ridiculously good compared to the WD equivalent, but now I'm worried about its reliability, but only the older models in the line are listed.

blubb

Neo Member
No one at home has multiple arrays of hard disks on RAIDs.
I do. How can someone not have a RAID for important data?
Do you even store?
:p jk

Seagate hate seems a bit overblown. I can't remember any of my Seagate HDDs breaking yet. But like all those failure posts that's just anecdotal evidence.
Right now I'm still set but I hope prices will go down a bit before I have to upgrade again. 12 TB is very tempting.

Top Bottom