• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seagate is now shipping 12TB consumer drives

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Anandtech

Seagate is launching a trio of 12TB hard drives today with a focus on the consumer market. The 3.5” drives build upon the 'PMR platters in a helium-filled enclosure' platform used in the 10 TB consumer hard drives released last year. The new 12TB drives target three different market segments:

These are not the first 12TB drives in the market, as enterprise versions from both Seagate and Western Digital have been around for some time. However, Seagate is the first vendor to bring down the prices and ship 12TB drives in the consumer market.

$390/$430/$440 for the trio.

SUPGUYZ

Banned
Crazy, its exciting to see large drives trying to be consumer-level. Expensive now but in 4-5 years they will be much more affordable

Tripon

Eh, SSDs in my last couple of laptops has shown me that I valuable speed over storage capacity. Cool for those that want this.

Caayn

Eh, SSDs in my last couple of laptops has shown me that I valuable speed over storage capacity. Cool for those that want this.
If you want 12TB of SSD storage you need to own a Fortune 500 company or rob the store that sells them. So it's not really a decision and you won't be able to fit these drives inside a laptop anyway.

Personally I use an (256) SSD as my boot drive with large HDDs for storage.

PcBr50R.png

I'm good for now as I've got a few 4tb backup drives for work stuff, but having a reliable 12gb backup drive would be VERY appealing.

People have both ssds for OS/software and big hdds for storage. The public for this hdd is people with archival needs, you don't need a ssd for that.

I'm aware of the bad rap.
But I've had 2 Seagates for over a year and 2 years now and zero issues.
Id buy another but this is anecdotal of course

kuYuri

Seagate drives have been fine for awhile now.

I still think the Toshiba P300/X300 series are the best bang for the buck right now.

Most seagates I've had got this "chirp of death" problem or really aggressive head parking. Haven't experienced that with wd.

Came here to say this lol. Worst hdd I ever had was from them.

Same here.

I’ve had 2 Seagate drives fail and all my WD drives work fine to this day. I have 30TB in external storage.

It’s been about 7-8 years since I last bought a Seagate. I see them in sale all the time but opt for the 20-25$ more for a WD.

eMpTy23

I'm aware of the bad rap.
But I've had 2 Seagates for over a year and 2 years now and zero issues.
Id buy another but this is anecdotal of course

Haha same. I wasn't aware they had a bad reputation. I bought one for the PC I built in ~2011, and I used that PC with no hard drive issues until 2017 when I built my current.

I'm not interested in purchasing anything but SSDs anymore though, and I can't imagine how I personally would ever fill up more than a TB or two.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That's quite a bit of space. I remember buying a 1TB drive back in 2007, when those were first coming into vogue for consumers. That shit was wild.

Not anymore :-/

c0Zm1c

My external Seagate drive must be over ten years old at this point and I still use it daily. Thus far, the internal Seagate drives I use have been fine too.

Conversely, I had two external Western Digital drives that failed fairly quickly. I don't recall ever having had a problem with their internal drives though.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Are there hard drives reaching this capacity that don't use helium or are they all using that now?

I would expect since helium is running out it can't be the best long term solution

opoth

Banned
That's quite a bit of space. I remember buying a 1TB drive back in 2007, when those were first coming into vogue for consumers. That shit was wild.

Not anymore :-/

I remember buying a 1 GB drive for $1000 at the CompUSA Windows 95 midnight release.

Get off my lawn!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Does the reliability of Seagate drives still suck, or have they gotten better?

It was really only one specific size/model (a few varieties of the 4TB ST4000D) that ever sucked -- so no, you don't need to worry. As you can see, though, releasing a shit product has impact on your reputation even years later, and so a lot of people are superstitious about them (perhaps ignoring that every other HDD manufacturer has also had notorious high-failure models). Using the Backblaze drive stats from Q2 2017 you can see that only the ST4000D models have high failure rates.

Some people are skeptical of helium based drives generally (not based on evidence). HGST is shipping 14TB SMR drives right now, but a) they're enterprise, b) they're SMR so not getting a lot of attention.

Are there hard drives reaching this capacity that don't use helium or are they all using that now?

I would expect since helium is running out it can't be the best long term solution

If you don't want a helium drive you can use SMR (shingled magnetic recording), but the write performance is substantially worse. The helium shortage is overstated and the news coverage of it was basically related to a very temporary fuckup, not long-term supply issues. The world has about enough helium based on current deposits to last a century. And hard drives are an infinitesimally small demander of helium.

Zelias

Banned
My family once got hold of an ancient 8088 PC that had a 10MB HDD, heh :p

Had bad experiences with Seagate drives failing quickly so won't touch them again, but the others will catch up quickly, I'm sure.

MrFortyFive

I don't need more than a terabyte for everyday use, but I have a massive collection of DRM free games on GOG and Humble I'd love to be able to backup on a single drive. Still way too pricey for me, but good to see larger drives making it to the consumer space.

Parsnip

12tb is madness.

I'm currently rocking 2x4tb and 2x3tb HDD's, maybe once I move to a smaller case I just get couple of the big boys to replace all these old drives. Or something.

Though I've had terrible luck with Seagate in the past (not just with that one model) so no thanks to these ones specifically.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
If you don't want a helium drive you can use SMR (shingled magnetic recording), but the write performance is substantially worse. The helium shortage is overstated and the news coverage of it was basically related to a very temporary fuckup, not long-term supply issues. The world has about enough helium based on current deposits to last a century. And hard drives are an infinitesimally small demander of helium.

that's comforting to hear, actually -- didn't see any followups about the helium stuff after that whole news cycle. Yeah, couldn't imagine that the drives needed that much helium anyway.

Top Bottom