• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seals Discovered having sex with penguins

Status
Not open for further replies.
YQUQpos.png

Things are heating up in the cold climes of the sub-Antarctic. On a remote, and mostly desolate island, seals have been caught engaging in an extreme form of sexual behaviour.
Specifically, they have been trying to have sex with penguins.

More than one fur seal has been caught in the act, on more than one occasion.
And it’s all been captured on film, with details being published in the journal Polar Biology.

The sexual behaviour of the fur seals hasn’t come as a complete shock to the scientists that recorded it.

In 2006, they saw, for the first time, a fur seal attempting to copulate with a king penguin, on Marion Island, a sub-Antarctic island that is home to both species.

They published details of that incident, and speculated that the sex act at the time may have been the behavior of a frustrated, sexually inexperienced seal. Or an aggressive, predatory act. Or a playful one that turned sexual.

But the new incidents, published in the study "Multiple occurrences of king penguin (Aptenodytes patagonicus) sexual harassment by Antarctic fur seals (Arctocephalus gazella)", still surprised the researchers.

“Honestly I did not expect that follow up sightings of a similar nature to that 2006 one would ever be made again, and certainly not on multiple occasions,” said Nico de Bruyn, of the Mammal Research Institute at the University of Pretoria, South Africa.

More info + 3 videos at link

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20141117-why-seals-have-sex-with-penguins

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
um .. don't seals like rip the shit apart out of penguins while eating them ?

Chariot

Isn't it pretty much rape?
Given that the penguin desperately tries to escape in the second video while the seal keeps it down with it's weight, I say yes.

It's so weird with the other penguins that don't particularly care about that. They're not even in panic for themselves, they just do as nothing happened while some of their own is publicly raped by some big fat seal.
I don't think the seal is penetrating the Penguin. Just like dry humping its back.

Sexual harassment like the article says for sure though.
Attempted rape then?

Given that the penguin desperately tries to escape in the second video while the seal keeps it down with it's weight, I say yes.

It's so weird with the other penguins that don't particularly care about that. They're not even in panic for themselves, they just do as nothing happened while some of their own is publicly raped by some big fat seal.Attempted rape then?

i htink humans are the only creature to assign a definition to rape. in the animal kingdom, it's just sex

I guess Dolphins aren't the only marine mammal that rape now.

Nah, there were some African Elephants that grew up without a male Role model and tried fucking Rhinos (the Rhinos died during the attempts and their deaths brought the problem to light to the park Rangers). Park Rangers brought in an Old Alpha to "teach" them. What to and what not to have sex with

Sakura

um .. don't seals like rip the shit apart out of penguins while eating them ?
From the article:
"But on one of the more recent occasions, the seal killed and ate the penguin after trying to mate with it."
I don't think the seal is penetrating the Penguin. Just like dry humping its back.

Sexual harassment like the article says for sure though.
Also from the article:
"Male and female penguins mate via an opening called a cloaca, and the seals are thought to have actually penetrated the penguins in some of the acts"

squall211

This is what happens when you start legalizing gay marriage. Now everything in nature is completely out of whack!!!!

Joking aside, that's pretty messed up lol.

soepje

Nah, there were some African Elephants that grew up without a male Role model and tried fucking Rhinos (the Rhinos died during the attempts and their deaths brought the problem to light to the park Rangers). Park Rangers brought in an Old Alpha to "teach" them. What to and what not to have sex with
I don't think African Elephants fall in the category of marine mammals. I could be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom