• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Second Life is heading to Steam

The developers have had a registry entry for a few months now, but now it's official:

As some sharp-eyed developers have speculated, we’re going to make Second Life available on Steam in the next month or so.

Many of us have friends who are avid Steam gamers, but if you’re not familiar, Steam is a very popular online game platform that offers a wide range of titles (and will soon also offer other software as well).

What does this news mean for Second Life? You’ll still be able to access Second Life just as you can today; there won’t be any change to that. But, the more than 40 million people who use Steam will also be able to get Second Life as easily as they can get games like Portal.

We’ll make an announcement on the blog when Second Life is actually available on Steam, but in the meantime, if you have friends who are Steam gamers, let ‘em know it’s coming!

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/Second-Life-is-Expanding-to-Steam/ba-p/1637751

well it will be fun for the 40 million people to troll the game or make hats and make bazillion of dollars making real money off of that game

Has there been any turn around since Rob Humble took over?

It looks like the number of active accounts for Second Life stayed steady after he took over:

Subs-2.png

http://mmodata.blogspot.com/

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So now everyone will know where I go for my erotic furry femdom orgy roleplay sessions?

Crayons

Banned
Gaben has finally betrayed us. First MapleStory, now Second Life. Whats next, World of Warcraft? League of Legends? Then more pointless MMO games that ruin people's lives so their virtual character can look pretty. When does the suffering end?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Second Life is living proof that if you give people the power of the gods they will use it to make grotesque imitations of cartoon characters with giant dicks and walpaper their houses with grainy jpgs from the 90s.

Game Guru

Gaben has finally betrayed us. First MapleStory, now Second Life. Whats next, World of Warcraft? League of Legends? Then more pointless MMO games that ruin people's lives so their virtual character can look pretty. When does the suffering end?

Android Support and Angry Birds. Then it's game over, man. Game over!

hwy_61

Banned
My only exposure to Second Life was this one documentary about an obsessed player, and what kind of effect it had on his personal life. It's a pretty good documentary, I'll look for it in the meantime and edit it in this post.

EDIT: Found the documentary. Life 2.0 is the name.

AlexBasch

I remember looking at this Law and Order: SVU episode about this. I shrugged it off thinking it was an awful attempt at doing game graphics by the show, but my god, they weren't kidding about the fucking graphics.

Forkball

I'm surprised this is still around. I remember when it got fairly big, which many assume spurred Sony to create "Home."

Top Bottom