• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret PlayStation VR 2 specs look impressive, Digital Foundry claims

No doubt PSVR2 will support foveated rendering that's is mentioned in GE patent by M.Cerny also mentioned 114 FOV not 110 also it says without foveated rendering average inefficiency is 2.5x that means with FOV rendering we should get on average 2.5x increase in performance that's game changer basically that means games will look better on PSVR2 then on 2d screens.

I’m not a scientist but 2.5 performance isn’t enough to offset rendering two viewports and higher FOV/more geometry.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
"will use fresnel"

boo

edit: I realize it's one of the ways they increase FOV, but I still hate it. I doubt the HDR would be real HDR (maybe hdr 400), however with fresnel it's guaranteed to have annoying god rays

Last edited:

Tygeezy

I'm not sure how you can do HDR in VR. You have to use black frame insertion to lower the motion blur and that reduces the brightness significantly.

Darius87

I’m not a scientist but 2.5 performance isn’t enough to offset rendering two viewports and higher FOV/more geometry.
2000x2040 is just bit less then 4K for both eyes doesn't mean games will run at maximum screen resolution also if PS5 can render games on 2d screen at 1440p with amazing gfx that means with fov rendering it will require 2.5 times less resources on average to do same on PSVR2 screen most of these resourses goes to FPS increase but PS5 already runs above 30 FPS in most games also PS5 could do frame interpolation.
GE is made for PSVR2 geometry is not an issue for PS5.

Dream-Knife

Banned
PS5 hardware is more powerful than 95% gaming PC out there. Prove me wrong
PS5 is equivalent to a 6600xt. Then you just need to find the amount of people with cards better than that. Then you need to find out how many gaming PCs are out there.

Romulus

reduced as not mentally bright.

White flag. Deflection. You were simply asked directly, yet took the time to respond but slithered away. You realize you're literally at a dead end with both points so you cower away with ad hominem

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
White flag. Deflection. You were simply asked directly, yet took the time to respond but slithered away. You realize you're literally at a dead end with both points so you cower away.

Or I have a life, im working, have kids, family, etc.. Wont expect you to understand such things.

JLB

Banned
But yet you're still responding? Makes no sense.

dumb the simpsons GIF

Ok, its clear that you are special. Welcome to my ignore list. Bye.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Smart move to try and move away from dedicated VR only versions, this may allow for more titles to be developed. Too bad the resolution isn't higher, everything else screams awesome. Still going to be great I suspect, but will it be outdated if there is a Quest 3 at 2500 x 2500?

ABnormal

This looks veeery pricey. Is there a PCVR headset that has similar specs to NGVR?

-Eye Tracking.
-Near HP Reverb G2 resolution.
-Haptic feedback inside the headset itself.
-OLED display with HDR.
-Similar controllers to Oculus Touch with the DS4's Impulse Triggers.

The only headset capable of eye-tracking I can think of is the $799 Vive Pro Eye, and that needs external sensors.
They will never price it above 400 euros, and I'm quite sure they will launch it around 300. There is still a full year of technology maturation and cost reduction, too.

ABnormal

With foveated rendering and flexible resolution scaling which I am assuming is some kind of enhanced version of dynamic resolution scaling, we might see identical visual quality between the vr and traditional console versions.

I didnt want Sony studios wasting time with VR games but if traditional games can take advantage of VR without much work and dont see a big downgrade like we saw with DriveClub VR then I am all for it.
Awwwyeah... That's my dream since the beginning. If this "leak" will be confirmed, psvr2 has everything I hoped it to have.

i never tried VR and dont have any interest in doing so. whats wrong with me? the kid version of me would have been going insane for it. is this what its like getting old?

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
i never tried VR and dont have any interest in doing so. whats wrong with me? the kid version of me would have been going insane for it. is this what its like getting old?
VR isn't for everyone, but I only recently got my first VR headset (PSVR last December) and it's been fantastic. Lots of great titles and fun experiences. I recommend that everyone at least tries it out.

Banned
if this thing isn't compatible with psvr1 game..? I swear to god...

it's Sony... it won't be, but that can also be a good thing... they don't need to give a shit to support the god awful tech that was the PSVR 1, IMO in this case it's actually good to just say fuck that old tech and let's do everything new and different. because the PSVS 1 just screams "cobbled together old tech"... for starters, using the awful PS camera and a bunch of normal LED lights to track the headset was just awful and super unprecise and then the controller... the Move Controllers are just not good VR controllers

but I bet developers will be able to patch their games to work with the new one. which is the better way to go as that way they will actually be optimized to use the new controllers

Last edited:

dtremblay

it's Sony... it won't be, but that can also be a good thing... they don't need to give a shit to support the god awful tech that was the PSVR 1, IMO in this case it's actually good to just say fuck that old tech and let's do everything new and different. because the PSVS 1 just screams "cobbled together old tech"... for starters, using the awful PS camera and a bunch of normal LED lights to track the headset was just awful and super unprecise and then the controller... the Move Controllers are just not good VR controllers

but I bet developers will be able to patch their games to work with the new one. which is the better way to go as that way they will actually be optimized to use the new controllers
i'm not a doctor, but i would hope there's a way to have some sort of input emulation layer that would let the old games work on the new system. i love my psvr, but the hand tracking sucks and the screen is pretty blurry. if after all the money I've spent on psvr and surely will on psvr2, the majority of my library is relegated to substantially inferior tech..? i'd like to be able to finish superhot someday. i try not to complain but found the tracking for that game to be that bad.

i spent that money willingly and sony and their developers owe me absolutely nothing beyond the shit I've paid for. but man that would be sooooooo lame.

ABnormal

Yeah. I meant more the resolution/screen.
Well, this latest leak suggest a resolution of 2000x2040 pixel per eye, which would be quite more than the index. And on oled screen, instead of a lcd one. The field of view is also a bit wider (probably more or less proportionally to the increase of pixel, to go beyond the perception of the screen door effect).

Edit: it would be around double pixels. In that case, a major advantage over index. But index is old. In the time psvr2 is launched, Valve probably will produce something greater (at double price, probably).

Last edited:
Reactions: wOs

Wonko_C

Maybe you just need ome of your favorite franchises to maje the jump to VR? And how old are you?

Last edited:
Top Bottom