• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Security bulletin for nVidia drivers (Update em to 376.33)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Searched, didn't see.

Bulletin: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4278
Get your updated drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx (Dec. 13/14th, 2016 [376.33] includes fix)

NVIDIA Windows GPU Display Driver contains a vulnerability in the kernel mode layer (nvlddmkm.sys) handler for DxgDdiEscape where improper access controls may allow a user to access arbitrary physical memory, leading to an escalation of privileges.

I'm pretty lazy when updating since if it works I don't like touching it, and I know many are the same way.

Arkeband

Banned
So the version they're saying to update to is safe but is it stable? Every release since this summer has been fucked in some way.

Ogawa-san

I was just wondering last week after the new driver notification popped up if I should even bother keeping it updated having a 970, at this point it's all about the 10 series anyway. But I guess it's not quite optional.

I stopped updating because of all the problems they've been having with the newer drivers. I'm betting I wasn't the only one. Guess I'll give these a shot. I'm sure someone will wonder if they decided to come up with this scare so they could encourage people to update to their latest.

atr0cious

Ever since the last couple updates I've had hard locks on my laptop forcing me to force restart, and it occurs when I full screen a video on my second monitor. Is there a way to roll back multiple updates and/or pick the driver to roll back to?

Scum

Nvidia, pls.

#based NVIDIA drivers.

I wonder if the next ones will actually make your computer explode.

uUu9hwp.png

Apt101

GeForce Experience bugs the living shit out of me on my desktop and laptop as soon as a drive is available, so luckily I updated last week.

_woLf

Nvidia's shit drivers lately combined with the recent issues with EVGA cards is making me wanna switch to AMD

Cels

the new geforce experience has ignored my "custom installation" instructions when updating drivers the past couple times, nvidia is fucking up lately

sn00zer

Just recently got back into pc gaming and I swear to god everything that annoyed me 5 to 10 years has only exercabated since. And the gap between pc and consoles shrank considerably that really the only benefits I've seen is fps and iq which pale to the bells and whistle of old. Shit like this just isn't worth it.

RedToad64

They should really test out their drivers more before releasing them. Do they have some sort of preview or beta program? Sounds like they need to start one after the past six months of... this.

Sanctuary

Holy shit. After the crapfest that were the 364.72, I just downloaded drivers from last fall and haven't bothered to upgrade yet. They've been releasing bad driver after bad driver. What the hell is going on?

Nvidia's shit drivers lately combined with the recent issues with EVGA cards is making me wanna switch to AMD

What's been happening with EVGA? I have an EVGA 1080.

Holy shit, man. What is going on at NVIDIA?
If you aren't going to iron out the kinks before releasing the drivers, don't bother releasing them. No incremental performance increase is worth this.

Gestault

Something about this update made my XBox steaming to Windows 10 flake out any time I started it unless I disabled some of the graphics driver overrides (I just reset the driver settings to default).

Iced

Ugh, I'll just fucking update in the new year. I'm sure there will be 4 more drivers released by that point (the third of which will re-introduce the vulnerability described in this thread, no doubt).

Getting real tired of your shit, Nvidia.

I never thought I would have to tear apart a graphics card, but then 2016 came along.

So this is for every driver before this one? I'm confused about which ones have this vulnerability. I'm on the page but I may as well be reading another language.

Every time I try install the driver I get "7-zip data error"

Nvidia's support page says its because of a corrupt download so try again / use a diffrent browser.

I tried again using a different browser and am getting the same message.

Support page also says it might be caused of router or other internet things messing it up but I have never had any issue when them before today.

PC Gaming yo. ITS JUST SO EASY

Easy_D

never left the stone age
NVIDIA Drivers been shittin themselves for a minute now.

The fuck is going on over there lol

It's as if Nvidia and AMD switched driver departments, the latter has been getting much much better since Crimson, while Nvidia just..does what Nvidia does. I guess when you're top dog anyway it doesn't really matter

Pass, I updated my drivers yesterday and had to immediately uninstall them due to an even worse framerate in Overwatch along with the fans cranking up to max and staying there. If it weren't for OW complaining that my drivers were far too old I'd still be on the ones from circa Payday 2's launch, they were the only ones that fixed the stupid blank grey screen bug which Nvidia managed to unfix and ignore.

Cels

Holy shit. After the crapfest that were the 364.72, I just downloaded drivers from last fall and haven't bothered to upgrade yet. They've been releasing bad driver after bad driver. What the hell is going on?

What's been happening with EVGA? I have an EVGA 1080.

overheating on pascal cards, sometimes cards would catch on fire

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/58hnzb/word_of_warning_the_evga_1080_blackscreenfan_bug/

http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/2661-evga-mosfet-failure-possible-from-thermal-runaway-scenario

EVGA admitted fault. They put out an updated bios to help fix the problem and offered a free thermal pad for all affected owners, and offered to replace their cards.

it's not an nvidia problem, just an EVGA problem.

Strimei

I had to roll back quite a ways because the more recent ones were giving me too many problems.

Bleh. Think I'll hold off still though for a bit and see how things shake out.

jsrv

So this is for every driver before this one? I'm confused about which ones have this vulnerability. I'm on the page but I may as well be reading another language.

I want to know this too. Does this affect literally every version before this or just some recent version (376.xx)?

Top Bottom