• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Security guards sent to Infinity Ward. West and Zampella fired for "insubordination"

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
BravoSuperStar said:
No, but it was probably more amicable? Who knows....

Bungie bought themselves back from MS under the caveat that they make two additional Halo games for Microsoft - ODST and Reach. After that they're free to develop games as they see fit, more or less.

Activision isn't the sort of studio to do that kind of thing, though - they'd just axe your entire company.

And I say all of this with the caveat that we still know basically nothing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Zzoram said:
Microsoft didn't send a goon squad to Bungie did they?

Bungie basically bought themselves out from under MS thumb...only to work on a few lazy Halo games before trying something new.

benita

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
:lol

Get out of the thread then. You obviously have a slant here and there's no way you're going to be the least bit constructive in the discussion.

So I assume you'll be vacating the NBA thread after week 1 of the playoffs?

I'm not a MW2 fan but I'm glad the only decent developer in Activision is leaving these dipshits. So fucking glad.

Activision can burn to the ground now for all I care.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Zombie James said:
From Sam Kennedy:

15wdt9i.gif

Empty

Though this is interesting drama if they are breaking up, it could actually work out for the best. Infinity Ward can get funding for a new independent studio in about half a second, this helps slow down the speed of consolidation in the industry, they might be encouraged to be a little more creative with their newfound freedom and it significantly damages Activision.

Then again, i'm not a Call of Duty fan so would rather see something different, and of course people losing their jobs isn't good.

JdFoX187

Banned
CryptiK said:
That'll learn IW for making a shit game. I hope they all get fired :)
SMH.

Modern Warfare 2 is still better than 90 percent of the tripe that's out there right now. I don't want to see anyone lose their jobs in this economy, no matter how bad their game is. At least they're working on something.

Effect

If there is a lot of issues between Activision and IW then I don't see IW simply being allowed to split off. I wouldn't be surprised if Activision fired people and killed the IW studio/name simply because they and it's their right. If those that head it want to go and create a new studio they can. However I doubt Activision would allow them to use the IW name to their advantage in any official form if there is bad blood and there seems to be.

CryptiK

Cerrius said:
shake your head all you want they are sellouts.

JdFoX187 said:
SMH.

Modern Warfare 2 is still better than 90 percent of the tripe that's out there right now. I don't want to see anyone lose their jobs in this economy, no matter how bad their game is. At least they're working on something.
BAHAHA MW2 is a piece of crap it was MW with key features removed. and I dont want all of them to lose there jobs just 402 :)

Hylian7

March 1, 2010 - The strangest day in video game history.

-The PS3 fat epidemic
-The mysterious Portal update
-Infinity Ward being invaded by security guards

What else before midnight tonight?!

Saige

I must do better.
Honest question, if IW got controlling interest back like Bungie did could that mean more PC love for any future games they did make since they would have more say in how things got done?
I’m just looking for an upside to this possible situation.

Jeff-DSA

CryptiK said:
That'll learn IW for making a shit game. I hope they all get fired :)

You're awesome. Can we hang out so I can absorb some of your knowledge and ideals?

It takes a special breed of a-hole to wish job loss on anybody, especially in this economy.

Madman

Wthermans said:
So you're seriously trying to say that the team that developed one of the most successful games of all time (MW1, not MW2 mind you) didn't have the resources to make a PC version of their new game that built upon existing code so that the PC users could have dedicated servers? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
The same team that may be about to have layoffs after releasing one of the most successful games of all time? Even if they aren't about to lose their jobs, I'm saying it's possible that they didn't have some form of resources (QA, programmers, time, etc.) or clearance from higher ups to do a better PC version.

And did you really need to do 6 smilies? If you're going to spam smilies, at least limit it to 3.
Ysiadmihi said:
That explains why they had to remove features that were in the first MW? Uh...

Frankly I don't care. It sucks if anyone loses their jobs but I think CoD4 and MW2 are the biggest unwarranted successes gaming has ever seen so I don't feel like I'm losing anything.
I have no clue. Whatever the reason, it's ridiculous to act like missing PC features makes them deserve losing their jobs as some are suggesting, especially when only a few people were probably even involved in the decision to cut back on the PC version.

Apath

I dislike MW2 quite a lot, but to hope people lose their livelihood over something they put time and effort into (that was well received critically and sales wise) is ridiculously asinine.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Zzoram said:
How does Activision justify gutting the studio that produces their most successful game franchise?
Now that they have the recipe they don't need the cooks. Or something like that.

Hylian7 said:

-The PS3 fat epidemic

Yeah, seriously. I thought this kind of shit wasn't supposed to happen til April 1st.

Evlar

Banned
I don't think it's sensible to expect any developer to pull a Bungie. That was an exceptional circumstance involving an exceptional first-party situation and an exceptional studio working on a far-from-typical franchise.

Whatever is happening I'll be shocked if the fallout from it is Infinity Ward as an independent.

I already had stopped supporting Activision but I had to get Modern Warfare 2. Now that it's out of the picture, I am officially going to stop supporting Activision if shit gets fucked up over at IW.

Ecto311

Hylian7 said:

-The PS3 fat epidemic

Not gaming related but Leno gets the tonight show back tonight also.

sdornan

So perhaps there isn't going to be a Modern Warfare 3?

Sounds good to me. Maybe they'll create a new IP.

Evlar said:
I don't think it's sensible to expect any developer to pull a Bungie. That was an exceptional circumstance involving an exceptional first-party situation and an exceptional studio working on a far-from-typical franchise.

Whatever is happening I'll be shocked if the fallout from it is Infinity Ward as an independent.

I think you could say that about Infinity Ward as well.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Saige said:
Honest question, if IW got controlling interest back like Bungie did could that mean more PC love for any future games they did make since they would have more say in how things got done?
I’m just looking for an upside to this possible situation.

They would be back to working on consoles. Even if they did try to go back to PC, the reaction would be interesting to say the least.

On that topic, I have long wondered when PC centric devs who ditched the platform for the "greener pastures" of the console world would come back to the platform and fans who made them. I also wonder how fans of the platform would welcome them. PC fans aren't as forgiving as console fans...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MW2 was like one long developer wank, but in this economic climate nobody really needs to find themselves fired.

Despite my dislike for Infinity Ward recently I'd like to see them branch off from Activision and go independant. But even if that is what they were trying to do I cant see Activision going down without a fight, and I cant see it ending well.

Empty

"If you have a company and you want to protect your creative freedom and the integrity of the creative process, if you want to retain your identity and culture, if you want the support of the mothership and the resources of the mothership, we're a really great mothership. But if you want to sell out and move on, there are definitely other companies to talk to."

These comments from Kotick at DICE are interesting now.

thcsquad

As somebody said earlier in the thread, I'm not too worried for Infinity Ward employees. If any group of employees can find investor/publisher support for a splinter studio, its the people who created of Call of Duty.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
shagg_187 said:
I already had stopped supporting Activision but I had to get Modern Warfare 2. Now that it's out of the picture, I am officially going to stop supporting Activision if shit gets fucked up over at IW.
...until the next great Activision game comes out, of course. :p

JdFoX187

Banned
AkuMifune said:
No one wants to see IW go out like this, but let's not go crazy now.
I don't see why. It's still a very good game. Disappointing compared to Modern Warfare? Probably. Still better than most other FPS on the market? Yes, especially on the console side. Aside from a shorter, but less filler, campaign and some glitches in MP, it's an excellent game. It just got shat on on the PC side.

No matter how it happens I hope IW leaves these dipshits. Even if they all get fired, as long as they stay together and rename their studio the publishers will be begging them to make a game.

chubigans said:
...until the next great Activision game comes out, of course. :p
There is no such thing as the next great Activision game! :mad:

Infinity Ward is an awesome dev and is the reason why I bought MW and MW2 (skipped COD5). The only other vision game I cared about was Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero. Sadly, Tony Hawk is dead to me and I go where Harmonix go!

Jenga

Banned
Hylian7 said:

-The PS3 fat epidemic

Not videogame related, but also the Plastic Beach by gorillaz got streamed earlier today.

today is fucking weird

I think INFINITY WARD just set the hook on a lot of people. This is going to turn into an announcement of some sort.

My guess is Infinity Ward is announcing dlc that not only includes maps but a Nazi Zombie/Horde type of mode as well. The whole security guards and so and so is missing is all part of a Zombie mode announcement.

Top Bottom