• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Security guards sent to Infinity Ward. West and Zampella fired for "insubordination"

Averon

sdornan said:
So perhaps there isn't going to be a Modern Warfare 3?

Sounds good to me. Maybe they'll create a new IP.

No. No matter what happens between IW and Activision, Activision keeps the CoD IP. Worst case scenario is that Treyach will be making MW3 instead of IW.

CryptiK said:
shake your head all you want they are sellouts.

I thought SMH was "so much hate".

Perhaps the Portal stuff is connected to this: Infinity Ward are leaving Activision to work for Valve.

Seriously, though, hopefully this works out positively for Infinity Ward. Anything else would turn public opinion even further against Activision.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
The security threat theory doesn't make much sense. If it were a bomb threat, they'd clear the building out, if it were anything else the police would be handling it. My money is on some Activision Blizzard/Infinity Ward friction.

Jenga said:
Not videogame related, but also the Plastic Beach by gorillaz got streamed earlier today.

today is fucking weird

Oh and Soundgarden released an unreleased and mastered live version of Spoonman.

Oh and Trent put up this beauty:

3_01_10-749294.jpg

Wthermans

Banned
Empty said:
Though this is interesting drama if they are breaking up, it could actually work out for the best. Infinity Ward can get funding for a new independent studio in about half a second, this helps slow down the speed of consolidation in the industry, they might be encouraged to be a little more creative with their newfound freedom and it significantly damages Activision.

Then again, i'm not a Call of Duty fan so would rather see something different, and of course people losing their jobs isn't good.
Honestly ever since Grant Collier left IW, they haven't been the same. I'm not sure they would have the same drive they did when they left EA and first started the studio. Even if they do, I'm not sure I would want to play their game given the way the studio has thrown PC gamers to the wayside ever since Grant left.

HungryRake

Neo Member
Jenga said:
Not videogame related, but also the Plastic Beach by gorillaz got streamed earlier today.

today is fucking weird

Not only streamed, but leaked. It's...interesting. Not sure if I like it yet.

Figures that, of all the game studios I've interviewed, Activision/IW is not one of them. I'd love to phone someone up for more info right about now.

sdornan

Mizzou Gaming said:
I think INFINITY WARD just set the hook on a lot of people. This is going to turn into an announcement of some sort.

My guess is Infinity Ward is announcing dlc that not only includes maps but a Zombie/Horde type of mode as well.

Please stop with the "publicity stunt" posts.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
CryptiK said:
That'll learn IW for making a shit game. I hope they all get fired :)
either very young or not so bright.

or a dick, but I like to think the best of people.

benita

Banned
sdornan said:
Please stop with the "publicity stunt" posts.

Uh why? Should everyone else stop with the "OMG Activision is screwing IW!" posts?

They're as valid as each other at this point in time.

epmode

rush777 said:
ITT we learn that some PC gamers need to let things go.
PC gamers are generally the most sane people on this forum. Most of the stuff they argue for (lots of control options, dedicated servers, the free DLC + expansion pack model) benefits all gamers, console types included.

But yeah, bitter tears, amirite?

Empty

Yeah, Sending security guards to an office and pretending like the studio is about to get fired is a classic PR trick. Amazing marketing.

Wthermans

Banned
Madman said:
The same team that may be about to have layoffs after releasing one of the most successful games of all time? Even if they aren't about to lose their jobs, I'm saying it's possible that they didn't have some form of resources (QA, programmers, time, etc.) or clearance from higher ups to do a better PC version.

And did you really need to do 6 smilies? If you're going to spam smilies, at least limit it to 3.
To be fair, this fiasco does not seem to be about layoffs due to overuse of resources. It seems to be more about disagreements between studio heads and publishers. Not to mention that MW2 had a HUGE budget and the idea that they didn't have the resources in said huge budget to implement features that were already in the code (and still in the code) of the old game they were building on is laughable. I do agree with you that they didn't have "clearance" from the higher ups for a better PC version, but I do not agree it was due to a lack of resources.

And FYI, I did need 6 smilies cause I LOLed at least 6 times---10 to be specific but that's just overkill to type and my carpal tunnel is acting up :D

HungryRake

Neo Member
Called Robert Bowling/fourzerotwo. Got pretty much what I expected. Has no information at this time, expect more tomorrow from Activision.

Mr Jared

Ok, here's my worst case scenario, short of some kind of tragedy.

Activision is dumping InfinityWard, sent goons to steal back their source code, Treyarch to take over the series and create the MMO in conjunction with Blizzard.

That's my crazy-ass corporate-shenaniganry prediction, though in some weird way, it doesn't sound all that far-fetched to me.

Edit: Or, and this is the more likely of that situation, Activision is cutting off InfinityWard and sent their goons to make sure that no one steals or otherwise tampers with their property until the terms of the split are finalized. That's typical layoff procedure in these sorts of events.

ChuBoi

Banned
If Sam Kennedy thinks something's up (and its obviously not a PR stunt), then I'm convinced something's up. Only games journalist I still trust 100% these days. No bullshit whatsoever.

teekun

benita said:
Gerstmann/Klepek/Kennedy et al need to either spill the beans or admit they have as much an idea what's going on as the rest of us.

Saying "it's not a publicity stunt" without giving any further details is bullshit.

I'm at a loss to come up with any way you could spin staging a fake lay-off into a way to generate hype for a new game.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
benita said:
Uh why? Should everyone else stop with the "OMG Activision is screwing IW!" posts?

They're as valid as each other at this point in time.

Not really. If this is a PR stunt it's the worst one ever conceived. "Hey guys, lets scare one of our top devs and make everyone think we're assholes. That'll cut into BFBC2 sales!".

Truespeed

It seems IW shares the building with a Synagogue. Bobby Kotick has invaded a Synagogue. Any doubts that he's a disciple of the devil can now be laid to rest.

Top Bottom