• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Security guards sent to Infinity Ward. West and Zampella fired for "insubordination"

Kapura

Banned
Part of me is wondering wtf is going on, while part of me is asking if this is a publicity stunt. If it is, then I for one will be butthurt.

LovingSteam said:
I really am curious to know what caused the marriage to get sour in the last month. I also would like to know if IW was strictly taking orders regarding the PC version of MW2 or not. Perhaps this info will eventually come out?

It has probably been souring well beyond the past month. IW probably wanted more control of the brand, to take it in a different direction, and to stop releasing Call of Duty yearly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Averon said:
What developer will willingly sell themselves to Activision after this? :lol

I still remember how Activision bought 7 Studios just to can half the staff a few months later... all to keep the DJ Hero competitor off the store shelves.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Jet Grind Radio! said:
Wait. If IW is CA based, why are they there this late? Still, I hope everything comes out alright.

This is the videogames industry we're talking about.

Exploitation of your labor comes with part of the job description.

I don't understand... Why would Activision shut down a studio that's making them a boatload of money? They must just be putting IW under new management, right?

zenbot

platypotamus said:
When I last got laid off, I got plastered with a bunch of my fellow laid off coworkers.
This has to be the most common response when a bunch of people are laid off, I'm certain. I can only imagine getting straight to the job hunt if I were the only person laid off.

RainbowByte

Neo Member
Jet Grind Radio! said:
Wait. If IW is CA based, why are they there this late? Still, I hope everything comes out alright.
breaking news: not all GAFers realize people work overtime+work late at night in the game industry quite often. :lol

Wthermans

Banned
Madman said:
I was more suggesting with that first post that somewhere up in the higher management, resources for the PC version could have been mandated to be small. And I could be wrong, but it wouldn't shock me. That's all, along with people saying that they deserve to lose their jobs over is dumb.

3 smilies will suffice even for the biggest LOL.
It's entirely plausible what you're saying is true. I just don't find it likely given that the code for the features we're discussing were (and still are) in the game. I won't put it past you that some higher up didn't realize that there would be little resources used for said features and cut the strings anyways. :shrug:

As for your second point, I'll be sure to consider that when I find something in the future that is LOLworthy to the tenth power. :p

esc said:
7 PM isn't really late...
Wouldn't it be 10PM?

Campster said:
This is the videogames industry we're talking about.

Exploitation of your labor comes with part of the job description.
Yea, that's true, but I figure if there was going to be a big announcement it would have been in the morning.

UPDATE: It appears that studio head Jason West has been let go from Infinity Ward. West's LinkedIn account now lists his position as "past," and shows that the position ended in March 2010. In addition, one of our own sources inside Infinity Ward has said that Activision is "flexing their muscles" against the studio, attempting to "push back against change." More as we hear it.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178175

Truespeed said:
There's a bit more to it than that. I think he didn't like how they were spending all of their time comparing it to COD 4 instead of talking about their own game.

Yeah, but after the shithose story MW2 delivered they lost all rights to complain. WaW was an excellent theatrical World War II FPS. MW2 was something Golan and Globus would think up for Cannon films after snorting a ton of coke and watching Invasion USA with Chuck Norris. :lol

DogWelder

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Wouldn't it be 10PM?

Yea, that's true, but I figure if there was going to be a big announcement it would have been in the morning.
Yes, right now it would be. But it was posted 3-4 hours ago.

Mandoric

Banned
Jet Grind Radio! said:
Wouldn't it be 10PM?

Get a full day's worth of work, then roll in the goons and start the desk-cleaning.

vireland

Jet Grind Radio! said:

Games are not a 9 to 5 job. In crunch time at the end of projects I've worked 36 hours straight before, just napping during recompiles. Early to regular evening still at work is not uncommon.

silentmac

Neo Member
DidntKnowJack said:
Was that really necessary?

Oh come on. It wasn't that bad. IW's games are more explicit than that.

In any case. Be prepared to see Modern Warfare 5 in a few years. If they can only figure out how to milk it more than Guitar Hero Activision will be happy.

Toki767

SapientWolf said:
Are they getting their updates from this forum? :lol
I'm sure someone's over there spamming F5 as we speak.

I'm sure this is real, but part of me wishes it really was a publicity stunt since I'm not a fan of people losing their jobs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
LovingSteam said:
I really am curious to know what caused the marriage to get sour in the last month. I also would like to know if IW was strictly taking orders regarding the PC version of MW2 or not. Perhaps this info will eventually come out?
In one of the other threads Rayme mentioned they had to argue with Activision to even get a PC version made.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Maybe that's it. But if this is Activision's reward for wild success, I'd hate to see their punishment for dismal failure.
Well, Neversoft is getting closed down this year, too.

bhlaab

platypotamus said:
Correct. One of my favorite topics with my wife: "Would we have gotten married, and would we live in Southern California if Troika hadn't gone out of business? Because I think I'd still want to be working there... and you said you'd never live there."

Man, don't make me start playing the 'what if Troika hadn't gone out of business' game. I can't stomach that sort of emotional stress.

vireland

monchi-kun said:
note to developers

When Bobby Kotick comes by and brings cash give him the ASCII "No Thank You" and be on your merry way.

Word.

appetite4destruction.jpg

SolidSnakex said:

Par for course for activision.

I had a buddy who worked at Red Octane before Guitar Hero 1 blew up and he was there when it did. When Activision bought them a lot of folks at Red Octane thought they'd get promotions, especially the people involved in the beginning.

But Activision middle management wanted to flex their muscle and instead of promote these people they decided to add another layer of management on top of them.

Now this with IW...and after Bobby Kotick's speech at DICE trying to make himself look like the nice guy. :lol

AAA publisher drama!

I hope employees leave en masse, and start a new independent company.

Selling out to a publisher always ends up being a terrible idea.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Toki767 said:
I'm sure someone's over there spamming F5 as we speak.

I'm sure this is real, but part of me wishes it really was a publicity stunt since I'm not a fan of people losing their jobs.
Publicity stunts aren't done covertly in the middle of a Monday night. This sounds more like assassination.

I guess IW demanded dedicated servers for MW3 and Activision cockblocked again?

Seriously, in the long run this could be great news. Fuck Activision and start a fresh new IP with a decent publisher.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I just wanted to post in this topic so that I could tell my grandchildren "I was there at the fall of Arcadia........" as they gaze at my old wrinkled topography in poorly disguised amazement.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
More wood to be thrown on the fire in the "western publishers have no fucking idea what the hell they are doing" debate.

Jonnyram

SapientWolf said:
Are they getting their updates from this forum? :lol
Unlikely. Klepek and a bunch of others are actually local and at the scene.
GAF is just getting its news from everywhere else anyway, unless you think someone here is actually on Jason West's friend list :lol

Top Bottom