• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seems like the smoking Series X was not a fake

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not sure. HDMI is digital, so its ether signal or no signal. Correct me if I wrong. Also artifacts looks like broken/overclocked GPU.

The signal inside is still analog and you do have some self correction built in the protocol to deal with noise and signal loss/distortion but up to a point.

If there is no signal it means that the signal was so full of errors and/or the loss in strength was so high the error correction mechanism could not cope with it. Analog systems may still give you a visible signal in a very crappy way after the digital one gives up so to speak, but it is beside the point I guess.

Outrunner

Jesus what a shit pile of a thread:

- Have you ever had a component fry inside a computer? If it happened to you, you'd probably remember there was either no smoke or barely any smoke at all, just a very distinctive smell. If you look at the video and think it's real with THAT amount of smoke I don't know what to tell you. What physical part of the console do you think is generating that smoke?

- It's normal for MS to contact the guy and ask him to send his console back for review. Doesn't mean in any way they agree the video is real, it would make sense to investigate any claim of the sort especially around launch.

- After being called out, the guy didn't provide any additional evidence of anything. You'd think it would be very easy to take any picture from the outside after such a huge fire inside but nope, no photo of the console after the burn was provided. Just google "burnt PSU" and you will see that even from the back of the console you would see traces of such a huge burn, or deformation etc.

Still calling 100% bullshit on this specific case. Sorry if it's news but people lie for clout all the time.

No smoke at all.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jesus what a shit pile of a thread:

- Have you ever had a component fry inside a computer? If it happened to you, you'd probably remember there was either no smoke or barely any smoke at all, just a very distinctive smell. If you look at the video and think it's real with THAT amount of smoke I don't know what to tell you. What physical part of the console do you think is generating that smoke?

- It's normal for MS to contact the guy and ask him to send his console back for review. Doesn't mean in any way they agree the video is real, it would make sense to investigate any claim of the sort especially around launch.

- After being called out, the guy didn't provide any additional evidence of anything. You'd think it would be very easy to take any picture from the outside after such a huge fire inside but nope, no photo of the console after the burn was provided. Just google "burnt PSU" and you will see that even from the back of the console you would see traces of such a huge burn, or deformation etc.

Still calling 100% bullshit on this specific case. Sorry if it's news but people lie for clout all the time.

Oh wow, please just drop it. It is a small small percentage of faulty units, it is no RROD, but this “war... must win on all fronts and at any cost, admit to no weakness and take no prisoners” green attitude you see in benchmarks and reactions to news must be tiring to keep up to say the least.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thats a typical noise pattern due faulty cable. It's random. Still artifacts in ps5 videos looks like glitches to me as they represent triangles or something that is not random noise.

As told you, it's pretty normal to have broken ones indeed among millions. But what's not normal is having your console on fire and be called publicly a liar by official company account and execs and receive death threats.

Just send your console back and you'll get another one.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
From a dear Polish friend:

He heard the first noise of something like boiling water from the xsx and turned it off and plugged it off then went to bed. In the morning he turned it back on and made himself breakfast, when he returned to his room he activated the console with his controller he heard the same noise again and saw the smoke. Which he made a video of.

Seems like it's faulty vapor chamber, explains the vapor looking of it.

Last edited:

He heard the first noise of something like boiling water from the xsx and turned it off and plugged it off then went to bed. In the morning he turned it back on and made himself breakfast, when he returned to his room he activated the console with his controller he heard the same noise again and saw the smoke. Which he made a video of.

Just now finding out that a lot of big media outlets buried the story by saying it's fake. posted the interview on reddit, got buried immediately. Even Forbes said it was fake. That's crazy.

geordiemp

As told you, it's pretty normal to have broken ones indeed among millions. But what's not normal is having your console on fire and be called publicly a liar by official company account and execs and receive death threats.

Just send your console back and you'll get another one.

Exactly, 1 % of 1 million is ? This is normal.

As long as that 1 % is safe, nobody is harmed.

Chukhopops

Oh wow, please just drop it. It is a small small percentage of faulty units, it is no RROD, but this “war... must win on all fronts and at any cost, admit to no weakness and take no prisoners” green attitude you see in benchmarks and reactions to news must be tiring to keep up to say the least.
I'm not saying it's impossible for a SX to have faulty ventilation, I'm saying this specific case is bullshit for the reasons mentioned above. Again, if it happened to you, would you NOT take any picture of the device after during the days where the controversy around it happens?

Btw when the topic is about the PS5 issues you have people saying "most of the guys with the ps5 faulty videos are microsft fanboys,look at their timelines" and everyone seems to agree, I wonder why?

This thread is just classic FUD spreading and I agree both sides are doing it btw.

Larvana

most of the guys with the ps5 faulty videos are microsft fanboys,look at their timelines
If you believe that, then you are no better than the Microsoft fanboys you call out, PS5 has it's issues.

The guy has made an interview, and things are escalating and they are angry at xbox for calling him and others as liars with the vape claim BS. Turn on CC and use auto english translation to understand some:

Hope he sues them for their cheap attitude.

You definitely have an hard on for bringing in a lawsuit, seems to be something you bring up a lot about xbox. you spend more time on here posting negative about xbox than you actually do praising Sony, and even then you're literally blind.

I am still uncertain about that Twitter Account from XboxPL but after watching that Polish interview from youtube I can confirm this is what that guy said happend to his xsx.

Alas we habe one case where this shit happend yet and another video with smoke rising from another xsx.

I am hereby not assuming or suggesting that this is some kind of common issue though.

Its way to early to tell and theres enough fanboys around on both sides that will try to create some false narratives.
We've seen that happening all the time.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Mine works fine, sucks for that guy.
tenor.gif

Also about that sueing MS part:

I am a Playstation User since PS1.
If I had this kind of Issue with my PS5 and reported it via Social Networks, and if Sony would have put out some Info that suggested I faked it or destroyed my PS5 on purpose resulting in me receiving deaththreats and so on.

I would try everything to sue Sony.
Not trying to sue them would be fucking stupid. You can make a fortune if you are successfull with that kind of lawsuit. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member

If I had this kind of Issue with my PS5 and reported it via Social Networks, and if Sony would have put out some Info that suggested I faked it or destroyed my PS5 on purpose resulting in me receiving deaththreats and so on.

Not trying to sue them would be fucking stupid. You can make a fortune if you are successfull with that kind of lawsuit. 🤷‍♂️
That’s a big if. You have to prove there’s some sort of damage to be compensated for, and corporations have armies of lawyers.

Dibils2k

omg who cares at this point, we have seen both consoles fail or break one way or another and you just gotta hope your one doesnt

DinoD

Look. Everyone has a mobile device (camera) and access to Twitter, FB etc. Box here, box there goes kapput. So what? Its most likely within the normal failure rate of any electronic device.
Its silly fanboys that amplify this to the point of becoming bigger than Ben Hur. Bet you that half of these issues arise from the faulty domestic wiring or just bad power supply.
In saying that. I did find MS response (about vaping) very unprofessional. All it takes is one bad accident (house fire and the resulting loss of life) to come back and bite them in the proverbial bottom.

Regards

Outrunner

It's Poland, not the US. No one will sue nobody.

Reactions: MrS

Mmnow

Look. Everyone has a mobile device (camera) and access to Twitter, FB etc. Box here, box there goes kapput. So what? Its most likely within the normal failure rate of any electronic device.
Its silly fanboys that amplify this to the point of becoming bigger than Ben Hur. Bet you that half of these issues arise from the faulty domestic wiring or just bad power supply.
In saying that. I did find MS response (about vaping) very unprofessional. All it takes is one bad accident (house fire and the resulting loss of life) to come back and bite them in the proverbial bottom.

Regards
It was clearly in response to the fact people started doing it.

What do you think looks better if this comes to court? Microsoft warning copycat memers not to do it, or Microsoft being silent while it takes off?

In terms of lawsuits,this is a non starter. If this is happening, and skeptisism is required at this point, you'd need to sue FOR something.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Or Cap(acitor), if it would be vampor chamber it would be better, because fumes from cap can ignite 💀 Gladly I probably waiting for the second wave of XSX : D

Kev Kev

I don’t buy this at all

Looks like the dude just blew a vape cloud into his box and took a video to me.This whole story is bull and being driven by console warriors.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm not saying it's impossible for a SX to have faulty ventilation, I'm saying this specific case is bullshit for the reasons mentioned above. Again, if it happened to you, would you NOT take any picture of the device after during the days where the controversy around it happens?

Btw when the topic is about the PS5 issues you have people saying "most of the guys with the ps5 faulty videos are microsft fanboys,look at their timelines" and everyone seems to agree, I wonder why?

Did I state that? No, then you know... drop it. Just because you see the world divided into factions and are fighting the war does not mean everyone is. Cut it out. You are still calling this guy a liar and making excuses for it despite MS itself walking it all back: MS will be ok actually better if sometimes you admit they do not win/dominate at everything.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Imagine dropping over $500 to play Watch Dogs 3 and then your Series X starts smoking

I don't care if it's real or not, but the idea is just the ultimate kick in the balls. I'd legiterally quit gaming for a while in protest

Yup, all of the smoking XSX consoles are legit and shills tried to act smart, along with the official Xbox account and Aaron.

Very embarrassing framing your costumers as liars and fakers.

While we don't know the scale of the problem, it wouldn't be the first time MS called their customers liars. They did the same thing with RROD, until the lawsuit.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I’ve been playing my XsX all night and most of today. It got warm at the vent but not hot.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Imagine buying new car, it blows out smoke from the engine

Manufacturer: lol noobs dont vape into your engine, We cant believe we have to say this..
But there was videos where people intetionately blow vape smoke into console. Which is really stupid to debink and white knight company... We can agree on that right?

I highly doubt it. Those things contain only contain a few drops worth of liquid, not nearly enough to form a huge cloud like that. And even if there were more liquid inside, it wouldn't boil at the temperatures reached by the hardware once the vacuum seal was broken.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
But there was videos where people intetionately blow vape smoke into console. Which is really stupid to debink and white knight company... We can agree on that right?

Nah those are damage control videos from disingenuous shills.

Top Bottom