• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics #13 (final?): THUNDER BLADE

the 3D Classics haven't met sales expectations outside of Japan.

This makes me cry. Space Harrier is my fav game of all time and I immediately bought it and love it. Also bought Galaxy Force 2 and Super Hang-On and they are so superb. <sigh>

It'll be a damn shame if I can't get Fantasy Zone, Outrun and Thunderblade. :(

How risky would it be for Sega to release these in the west, even if they don't do big numbers? I mean, it can't cost them all that much, right?

I would think the most expensive aspect would be the fees charged by the various ratings boards.

AmyS

This makes me cry. Space Harrier is my fav game of all time and I immediately bought it and love it. Also bought Galaxy Force 2 and Super Hang-On and they are so superb. <sigh>

It'll be a damn shame if I can't get Fantasy Zone, Outrun and Thunderblade. :(

And After Burner !!

AmyS

Super Thunder Blade on Genesis was so hard. No matter how many times I played it I could only get minutes in.

Super Thunder Blade on Genesis was a different game,and yeah it was really difficult. Not really too much fun. I'm kinda ashamed they released it on Wii VC.

SegaShack

So sad Sega is dropping these series. These were the best ports ever. Unlike other companies who use optimized roms for virtual console, M2 went all out. These were just as good as, if not better than the original hardware in all aspects of performance. The 3D is still the best use of it on the entire system as far as I'm concerned.

AmyS

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/07/thunder-blade-getting-3d-ages-remake-treatment/

Thunder Blade Is Getting The 3D Ages Remake Treatment

Sega&#8217;s helicopter shooter, Thunder Blade, is coming to Nintendo 3DS on August 20. It&#8217;s joining the list of 3D remastered games like 3D Space Harrier and 3D Outrun.

3D Thunder Blade has stereoscopic 3D graphics and optional motion controls that simulate the feeling of sitting in an arcade cabinet. Sega also made a Special Mode which has a new final stage and the true boss at the end.

Say, What?

Sega also made a Special Mode which has a new final stage and the true boss at the end.

now even more depressed we're likely not getting 3D Thunder Blade.

entremet

How much money does it cost Sega to bring these over? They're DD only.

I really don't understand Sega at all.

AmyS

I have all the Sega 3D Classics released in the west, except one: Streets of Rage 1

I'm buying it NOW.

FDBK

Bare Knuckle is really fun! So are both of the Fantasy Zones!

I sure hope Sega would re-consider and continue pumping out more 3D-ized goodness!

AmyS

Bare Knuckle is really fun! So are both of the Fantasy Zones!

I sure hope Sega would re-consider and continue pumping out more 3D-ized goodness!

Another game that was on X-Board (ABII, TB) wouldn't be difficult to do, like:

jTK84yA.jpg

ZLaPJfH.jpg

grXIVzg.jpg

That never got an arcade perfect home release, anywhere.

Eolz

Yosuke Okunar tweeted earlier:

I've done my part and tweeted @SEGA_Europe & @SEGA to request Volume 2 release.

Tweeted as well, better than nothing.
Absolutely love what they did with those classics.

I haven't heard of this game, but after the comment here where someone said the 3DS version's 3D was better than Galaxy Force II (which I also haven't heard of until the 3DS classic came out) I had to check it out on YouTube.

Man, the game is just so... interesting... I mean, I can't think of any other word to describe it. It reminds me of the days when developers used old technology to make cool, modern effects, and that was always really cool to me. I really want to try it on the 3DS now.

sörine

Banned
Sad that the games didn't meet expectations in the west. Sonic and Space Harrier seemed to chart well in the US but I guess it wasn't enough.

I wonder if Game Gear VC did okay? There's a lot more Sega could release there but from M2's comments it seems like that's finished too. And no interest in MS/MD/AC on Wii U either, are Sega and M2 done?

Slermy

sörine;124533068 said:
Sad that the games didn't meet expectations in the west. Sonic and Space Harrier seemed to chart well in the US but I guess it wasn't enough.

I wonder if Game Gear VC did okay? There's a lot more Sega could release there but from M2's comments it seems like that's finished too. And no interest in MS/MD/AC on Wii U either, are Sega and M2 done?

Speaking of GG VC games, what are the best ones available? I've wanted to grab one, but know very little about them. Tails' Adventure seemed pretty impressive graphically.

Tizoc

How much money does it cost Sega to bring these over? They're DD only.

I really don't understand Sega at all.

They already brought classics last year. So if anything we may get these by the end of this year too.
Save your complaints til that time when they don't get released :V

Besides SEGA stopped making sense since the 90s.

Espiox

No, DON'T save complaints until later in the year, it's too late to do anything then. Let them know we want them now.

It might help to let NoA or NoE know we want these on the Western eShop, too?

Tizoc

Well I already tweeted SEGA EU to request bringing the game now, do just like that and maybe we'll get them released by the end of this year like the last batch.
'Make some noise' as the saying goes.

Horii is a monster programmer with a monstrous Thunder Blade addiction, so of course he'd get his treat. Awesome, so long as the games get localized.

I'm still going to miss an arcade-perfect, 3D portable edition of Power Drift. And yes, Shinobi III is the most reliable choice out of those three. Galaxy Force II has the least amount of content, but it's all very polished and jaw-dropping, while Space Harrier's very accessible and almost as challenging.

Who is Horii and what is his/her relation with these games?

sörine

Banned
Speaking of GG VC games, what are the best ones available? I've wanted to grab one, but know very little about them. Tails' Adventure seemed pretty impressive graphically.
Tails Adventure is a nice little proto-Metroidvania and definitely worth picking up. I'd also recommend the Shining Force game.

@MUWANdo

Banned
3D trailer is on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-gpRtlnPak

They've also updated the site with some new info, here's the tl;dr:

-Stage select with high scores for each stage
-Save state
-Replay recording function with half-speed/double-speed playback
-Move with either the circle pad, d-pad or touch screen
-Supports Circle Pad Pro for use as a second throttle
-Button configs that let you invert the controls for the top-down sections, tap/hold toggle for the fire button, etc
-Five difficulty settings, including a new super-easy difficulty that removes environmental damage
-Adjustable lives stock (6 max, 3 default)
-On/off toggle for the "flight training" info
-Optional gyro controls that mimic pushing the stick on a real cabinet; includes both "tilt" and "rotation" configs
-Display options include original 4:3, 16:9, 16:10 (fullscreen) and virtual cabinet mode with moving housing; additionally, you can set the virtual cabinet mode to display the game in 2D but keep the cabinet/backgrounds in 3D
-Two backgrounds for virtual cabinet mode: an arcade BG and a city/skyscraper BG
-Volume settings for music/sfx/cabinet noises, plus an on/off toggle for cabinet noises
-Sound test with equaliser
-"Extra BGM" option that lets you listen to an arranged soundtrack (no idea if it's new or taken from some other port)

The big addition, however, is Special Mode! Unlocked by beating the last stage in the regular arcade mode, Special Mode includes the following features:

-New helicopter with altered handling and attack power; missiles will now travel along the ground instead of exploding on contact, allowing you to be more aggressive against ground enemies (I think? not familiar with the original game, so I don't know the context)

-New stage with a true last boss

-New enemy patterns and stage layouts

-New enemies not seen in arcade mode

-New title card/intro screens before each boss

-Different virtual cabinet displays with different movement parameters, environmental noises, etc

-Earn lives at the end of each stage based on your kill rate (again, not hugely familiar with the game, hopefully that makes sense in context); there are continues, but no stage select

There are probably some other smaller unlockables that'll be unveiled after the game's been out for a little while, like unlimited credits or extra cabinets/backgrounds, etc.

For the extra BGM, they're probably using Koichi Namiki's medley arrangement from Wave Master's dual Galaxy Force II and Thunder Blade music album.

This certainly sounds like the end-all, be-all SEGA 3D Classics releases. Getting all this content in + those extras must have been a challenge even for them.

Voliko

Damn, they are going all out with this one. New stage, copter, enemies, patterns, and final boss? M2 is killing it

Espiox

Amazing!

I need SEGA to confirm/deny a Western release so I know if I should just import a JP 3DS right now. They haven't outright denied it yet though. Hopefully that's good news?

Top Bottom