• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA 3D Classics getting a retail package in Japan?

L~A

Edit: Trailer!

Just saw this on GamesTalk... apparently, SEGA is planning on releasing a special package for its 3D Classics. It'll come out on Dec. 18, and cost 3 980 Yens.

It'll include :

3D Space Harrier
3D Fantasy Zone
3D Outrun
3D Streets of Rage
3D Shinobi 2
3D Ecco the Dolphin
Space Harrier 3D
Out Run 3D

Edit: confirmed by Famitsu

duckroll

It's a pretty meh compilation. They have 6 games, 4 from the first set and 2 from the second set, and they're adding "bonus" games of Space Harrier 3D and Outrun 3D (not to be confused by 3D Space Harrier and 3D Outrun!) which are old alternate versions of the games on the Master System.

Including Space Harrier 3D and Out Run 3D from the Master System is pretty awesome! They were both totally different to the original games.

kaz74AA.jpg
fOQiPQ4.jpg

Jucksalbe

Banned
As long as they released a second retail package with the rest of the games, it seems like a great idea. I'd love to have a retail version of the games. But if it's just this one with only a selection of the games, I'm not interested.
Then again, it's not like this retail version will ever be released in the West, so I might as well not care.

L~A

It's a pretty meh compilation. They have 6 games, 4 from the first set and 2 from the second set, and they're adding "bonus" games of Space Harrier 3D and Outrun 3D (not to be confused by 3D Space Harrier and 3D Outrun!) which are old alternate versions of the games on the Master System.

Yeah, I'm surprised they're not including everything from the get go... guess they're planning on releasing a second compilation later down the road.

duckroll

Yeah, I'm surprised they're not including everything from the get go... guess they're planning on releasing a second compilation later down the road.

I think that would be too expensive. The normal games are like 600yen a pop, the premium ones are 800yen a pop, and Thunderblade is 1000yen. If they include all 14 games, they would have to either charge like 80 bucks for the collection, or price drop everything on the eShop. Maybe Sega isn't willing to do that.

So with Space Harrier 3D Out Run 3D could this mean Master System could come to VC (as if Game Gear is much different to emulate...).

Still given how incomplete it is I really have to wonder what the point is (but I think it is aa pricing thing and not wanting to alienate eShop purchasers*). I guess you could always buy the other parts on the eShop...unless a volume 2 comes out and has bits not on the eShop...

*-That is the kind of thing SEGA has done in the west too much with those 50 backbone emulated games for $22.95 compilations.

Katsuragi

I still buy the majority of my games physically, so I'm happy to see that there will be a retail release of this amazing series.

duckroll

Well if you look at the current collection...

3D Space Harrier (600yen)
3D Streets of Rage (600yen)
3D Shinobi 2 (600yen)
3D Ecco the Dolphin (600yen)
3D Fantasy Zone (800yen)
3D Outrun (800yen)
Space Harrier 3D (new)
Outrun 3D (new)

That's a 4000yen value on the eShop, plus 2 bonus games. They're selling it for 4298yen at retail.

What's left would be:

3D Super Hang On (600yen)
3D Sonic the Hedgehog (600yen)
3D Altered Beast (600yen)
3D Galaxy Force 2 (800yen)
3D Afterburner 2 (800yen)
3D Fantasy Zone 2 (800yen)
3D Thunder Blade (1000yen)

That's 5200yen in value. They could include some bonus thing too, and sell it at a higher cost of 5800yen or something like that I think. The higher price would also be understandable because the quality is also higher on games like Afterburner 2 and Thunder Blade. Plus Sonic is a big Sega mascot I guess.

I hope this come overseas somehow. Or at least, that SEGA releases the second batch of 3D Classics here...first one might have sold poorly but the second one has games that are much more interesting for west tastes than the first one, so I bet it would have more sucess. At least, Out Run and After burner

L~A

Well, my guess is a compilation of retro game would be a hard sell at over 5000Yen, but not including Sonic in the first selection is a bit... strange. I dunno.

Unfortunately, doubt there'll ever be a retail release in the West. Just getting the second batch of games would be a good start ;)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm still waiting for Outrun & the Fantasy Zone games to come over. Though I wouldn't mind this compilation as well.

Yessss, I was hoping they would do this. Having physical versions of the best (home) versions of Space Harrier and OutRun? Yes please. Hopefully they do a second compilation with Galaxy Force, Thunder Blade and Afterburner II. It's definitely cost more, but it's worth it for the quality of those three ports alone.

Cool of them to include the Master System 3D versions of Space Harrier and OutRun. Always wondered how they'd look on 3DS. (And it's not like anyone would buy them had they been made standalone releases. I know I probably wouldn't.)

5amshift

Banned
Not worth it. A lot more games would need to be added for it to be an excellent deal. Yeah I love Outrun and Streets of Rage, but god damn these games are like 400mb at the most.

Was hoping SEGA would get around to this. I held out on getting the games individually because I had a feeling this was going to happen. I'm so in and here's hoping this comes everywhere else so I can double dip for support.

Yessss, I was hoping they would do this. Having physical versions of the best (home) versions of Space Harrier and OutRun? Yes please. Hopefully they do a second compilation with Galaxy Force, Thunder Blade and Afterburner II. It's definitely cost more, but it's worth it for the quality of those three ports alone.

Cool of them to include the Master System 3D versions of Space Harrier and OutRun. Always wondered how they'd look on 3DS. (And it's not like anyone would buy them had they been made standalone releases. I know I probably wouldn't.)
I don't know if i would call this the best home port of Outrun. If you're a purist the Saturn one is where it's at. Even has the original Testarossa instead of a generic car like the DC and 3DS versions.

rjc571

Banned
Seems pretty cheap of them to not include every game, tbh. The point of collections is to offer MORE value than you would get from buying the games individually, not the same value!

Seems pretty cheap of them to not include every game, tbh. The point of collections is to offer MORE value than you would get from buying the games individually, not the same value!

Yeah that's pretty disappointing. Hopefully the package is nice with some bonus items for fans.

wondermega

do want. I dunno about the rest of you but I loved the Segascope 3D games back in the day. Extremely effective and still impressive. I'd pick up any/all of them in a heartbeat and I am pleased to read that they will be available somehow.

Maze Hunter and Zaxxon maybe were my favorites..

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Sega will never localize this. Yay region-locking...

Cosmozone

I totally need this in Europe! Sega, pls! No worries about localisation, the single games are already on the eShop if I'm not mistaken. Unfortunately no Afterburner.

Videoneon

I wonder how much they're expecting from this/how many units are being shipped.

Don't really have an interest but hope it does well.

I don't know if i would call this the best home port of Outrun. If you're a purist the Saturn one is where it's at. Even has the original Testarossa instead of a generic car like the DC and 3DS versions.

Eh, second best still isn't too bad. Especially considering it's Arcade perfect too, at least performance wise.

Bya8lE5IAAAwHpA.png

Box art of the year.

Blaze Fielding drawn by the Pokemon artist. Yep, I've seen it all.

andymcc

Banned
man, even if we got this in the US, i'm sure we'd just get a collage of ugly ass US genesis box art on the front.

Yes Boss!

man, even if we got this in the US, i'm sure we'd just get a collage of ugly ass US genesis box art on the front.

Anything with the Genesis logo is ugly ass!

This one is cool art. But, it is pretty damn cheezy as well. I mean, the Sega 3D Classics logo is so damn jank!

Nothing's jank about it. You could say the same for those weird geometric shapes behind Sonic the Hedgehog on the original box art. It's kitsch, above all, but I don't mind seeing it with Sugimori's art.

Top Bottom