• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA 3D Classics getting a retail package in Japan?

Fularu

Banned
While I already own all 8 releases here, I'll buy it day one if this ever comes here.

I need Outrun and Space Harrier 3D

Rlan

SEGA_Genesis_Collection.jpg

Sonic_Ultimate_Genesis_Collection.jpg

Such ugly

THAT'S FUCKING KEN SUGIMORI?!?!?!? o_O

I thought he was a GF employee and by extension a Nintendo employee (well you know), how did he end up doing a Sega box art? I KNOW GF did Pulseman, but STILL!

Oh my god, I always wanted to see him draw Sonic! :O

Here's a slightly bigger box:

Bya8lE5IAAAwHpA.png:orig

GAME Watch has an article up with the first screens of Space Harrier 3D and OutRun 3D.

KDCqbsP.jpg
YGUuex4.jpg

OutRun 3D was originally only ever released in PAL regions, so it gets a Master System border instead of Mark III. That attention to detail. <3

You have to use that version of Opa-Opa as your avatar.

Haha, I'll wait until Amazon puts up a super high res version of it. ;)

L~A

Yup, that's quite the attention to details here... though I've always been confused with SEGA consoles, they seem to have had 12 different names : /

Espiox

I don't have a Japanese 3DS yet, but I've pre-ordered anyway. I hope this sells well enough to get a second volume with the other games.

Espiox

Game Watch interview posted! http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/20141022_672386.html

Looks like they're updating their Space Harrier port to bring the UI in line with the other games, adding some new options, tweaking the button configuration and adding coin insert sounds to the environmental SFX. Doesn't sound like the eShop version will get updated. Looks like a second retail release for the other games will depend on sales of the first, though they tease that they'd like to include Maze Hunter 3D as a bonus if it happens.

Can someone translate more accurately?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Game Watch interview posted! http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/20141022_672386.html

Looks like they're updating their Space Harrier port to bring the UI in line with the other games, adding some new options, tweaking the button configuration and adding coin insert sounds to the environmental SFX. Can someone translate more accurately?

The first couple pages are just them talking about why they're releasing a retail compilation, how they chose which games to include, why they added the 3D SMS games, etc. Nothing especially illuminating, but they do reiterate that there are no plans to bring SMS games to the VC.

The third page is talking about how they overhauled the 3D Space Harrier using the new techniques they developed for later games--they added a bunch of config options that were implemented in later titles, they overhauled the sound, they added some new screen options and even fixed an animation bug Hideki Kamiya complained about on Twitter. They also used a 3D layering technique they debuted with 3D Fantasy Zone to retouch some of the sprites to make them appear more three-dimensional, including the player character sprite. (They also mention that they won't/can't patch this stuff back into the download version.)

The last page covers Ken Sugimori's box art and talks about future plans--again, nothing terribly important or surprising aside from the Maze Hunter thing, just the usual "no plans, depends on sales", etc etc.

wondermega

Looks like they're updating their Space Harrier port to bring the UI in line with the other games, adding some new options, tweaking the button configuration and adding coin insert sounds to the environmental SFX. Doesn't sound like the eShop version will get updated. Looks like a second retail release for the other games will depend on sales of the first, though they tease that they'd like to include Maze Hunter 3D as a bonus if it happens.

Can someone translate more accurately?

ohhhh F these guys

seriously

I just want this damned game

Espiox

The first couple pages are just them talking about why they're releasing a retail compilation, how they chose which games to include, why they added the 3D SMS games, etc. Nothing especially illuminating, but they do reiterate that there are no plans to bring SMS games to the VC.

Do they mention any extra options or features for these or are they just straight ports?

Also, assuming Google translate is accurate (it happens!), they said the 3D arcade cabinet models from the Home Menu won't appear in the compilation, which is a shame.

@MUWANdo

Banned
New interview online: http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/971/971383/

Anything interesting in there?

Okunari talks about the inclusion of the SMS games; basically, he wanted to add something extra for hardcore fans who were double-dipping but didn't want to add anything really substantial because he knew it'd irritate people who felt they had to buy the compilation just for one game. (He cites Power Drift as an example of such a game, which is a title that they've mentioned more than once...)

They initially wanted to add the entire 3D SMS library, but a combination of tight schedules and underestimating the amount of work required to convert the shutter-based 3D routines to the 3DS's stereoscopic display meant that they only added two games, and it seems they just barely made it in time. Okunari also talks about how he felt it was important to try and preserve these old attempts at 3D in some fashion as the original hardware doesn't work with modern TVs, in the same way that old lightgun tech doesn't work with modern TVs/monitors.

They've added some minor extra options for each game: infinite continues for Space Harrier 3D and a relaxed time limit for Outrun 3D.

He also talks about the inclusion of Professor Asobin on the packaging; he says this is something he decided on long ago, without knowing he was to be included in the Sega Hard Girls anime series, so he's pleasantly surprised with the amount of people who recognise the character.

At the very end, he's asked about the series' future; I don't wanna say too much until I have time to go over it in more detail, but he's basically saying that sales numbers will determine whether they continue the series, and that sustained sales of the retail version are especially important. (He does mention the international release of the second volume, but that's just to indicate that the team hasn't disbanded and is still together and working on those, I think.)

EDIT: while I'm here, 3D launch trailer! If you have a New 3DS, you can watch it 3D right from the browser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWS_ih-pKcs

Also worth mentioning: 3D Bare Knuckle will be getting a patch that'll ensure wireless multiplayer compatibility with the retail version, it doesn't add any other new features.

Yes Boss!

Looking like an awesome release! Awe damn, almost had all the SMS titles. Would have beem cool. Those games are pretty rough...but worth it for the music.

Hopefully this retail package does well enough for a volume 2 to eventually exist (with the remaining Master System games). Maze Hunter 3D and Zaxxon 3D absolutely need to be preserved for future generations!

@MUWANdo

Banned
^^gotta go fast!

Another interview:

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/20141217_680566.html

This interview shows some more of the SMS settings: three screen sizes (original, stretched w/correct aspect ratio, full-screen), four borders (Mark III, SMS, game-related, black), PSG/FM music toggle, save state, button mapping, region-switching. Stereo 3D is on/off only for these games, you can't manually adjust it with the 3D slider.

They also reveal two 3DS menu themes that came out in Japan today: a Mega Drive theme and an '80s game center theme, and it sounds like they'll be doing themes for each game, too.

Fuck my life, is there any way to get access to the JPN theme shop? I hope SoA makes these available in Western regions if the options involves buying a foreign handheld.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The article says the MD theme uses the Mega CD BIOS music, and the sfx are taken from various MD games (Phantasy Star 2/4, Rent-A-Hero).

The game center theme has environmental noise reminiscent of the ambiance of an arcade, with snippets of music/jingles from games like Afterburner 2 and Power Drift. Sfx are from all over the place, including Pengo.

Krejlooc

Banned
This is so awesome, I'm glad this project is getting a physical release. I hope the second series gets a physical release too. I think I'll actually import this despite having a US 3DS and all the games downloaded digitally.

EDIT: 3D Fantasy Zone

Yo, heads up - that's not 3D fantasy zone, as in the arcade game in 3D like the other games in the series. This is 3D FANTASY ZONE II DX, a new game made in 2009 that is a System 16 remake of the Sega Master System sequel to fantasy zone.

It's also a terrific game, one of the best games sega has put out in the last decade.

edit again: oh wait, actually it is the original arcade game in 3D. Bummer, Fantasy Zone II DX is so awesome. Hopefully it's on the second series physical set, if it indeed does get a physical release.

Yes Boss!

This is so awesome, I'm glad this project is getting a physical release. I hope the second series gets a physical release too. I think I'll actually import this despite having a US 3DS and all the games downloaded digitally.

Worth it for the package, the love, and M2 support, for sure.

I can't think of a single developer the absolutely nails nostalgia and attention to detail like M2. Hats off to them, holy shit.

Voliko

Okunari talks about the inclusion of the SMS games; basically, he wanted to add something extra for hardcore fans who were double-dipping but didn't want to add anything really substantial because he knew it'd irritate people who felt they had to buy the compilation just for one game. (He cites Power Drift as an example of such a game, which is a title that they've mentioned more than once...)

They initially wanted to add the entire 3D SMS library, but a combination of tight schedules and underestimating the amount of work required to convert the shutter-based 3D routines to the 3DS's stereoscopic display meant that they only added two games, and it seems they just barely made it in time. Okunari also talks about how he felt it was important to try and preserve these old attempts at 3D in some fashion as the original hardware doesn't work with modern TVs, in the same way that old lightgun tech doesn't work with modern TVs/monitors.

They've added some minor extra options for each game: infinite continues for Space Harrier 3D and a relaxed time limit for Outrun 3D.

He also talks about the inclusion of Professor Asobin on the packaging; he says this is something he decided on long ago, without knowing he was to be included in the Sega Hard Girls anime series, so he's pleasantly surprised with the amount of people who recognise the character.

At the very end, he's asked about the series' future; I don't wanna say too much until I have time to go over it in more detail, but he's basically saying that sales numbers will determine whether they continue the series, and that sustained sales of the retail version are especially important. (He does mention the international release of the second volume, but that's just to indicate that the team hasn't disbanded and is still together and working on those, I think.)

EDIT: while I'm here, 3D launch trailer! If you have a New 3DS, you can watch it 3D right from the browser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWS_ih-pKcs

Also worth mentioning: 3D Bare Knuckle will be getting a patch that'll ensure wireless multiplayer compatibility with the retail version, it doesn't add any other new features.
So it's not definitely over? There could be more!?

Power Drift pleeease

Also, that MD theme is sexy.

Mega CD BIOS music doesn't really do a whole lot for me (if not just because I'm more familiar with the NA Sega CD one), but god I adore the aesthetics on that theme. So good. Might have to end up picking up the game center one too for the music. It's times like this I'm glad we have theme shuffle.

Yes Boss!

edit again: oh wait, actually it is the original arcade game in 3D. Bummer, Fantasy Zone II DX is so awesome. Hopefully it's on the second series physical set, if it indeed does get a physical release.

Dude, it is all about Link Loop Land. The best thing in the entire Sega 3D series.

Krejlooc

Banned
Space Harrier 3D was a pretty great sequel back in the day, and a real show stopper back in the 80's. It was the game I pointed to whenever anybody asked which had better graphics, the NES or SMS. It was the game my NES-owning neighbors drooled over. Playing it in 3D was just completely mindblowing. One of the first times I remember being completely impressed by a game's visuals.

Looking at it today, it's choppy as hell, but it still has a fantastic visual and audio presentation considering the hardware. It was such a major step up from Space Harrier in every possible way. It's a game really held back by the hardware, much like Fantasy Zone II was.

I would love it if they did an arcade remake of Space Harrier 3D like they did with Fantasy Zone II. I love all the music in it. I actually much prefer Space Harrier 3D as a sequel to Space Harrier than Space Harrier 2 (although I can't speak for Planet Harriers).

Krejlooc

Banned
Hopefully this retail package does well enough for a volume 2 to eventually exist (with the remaining Master System games). Maze Hunter 3D and Zaxxon 3D absolutely need to be preserved for future generations!

So continuing my post about Space Harrier 3D, I got that game on christmas eve in 1988. I had gotten the SMS in 1986 and was a pretty big nut about it, so my dad went out and bought the flashiest game he could find. Apparently it was a sales clerk who sold him on the game, along with the box art compared to all the other SMS games:

Space_Harrier_3-D_Cover.jpg

Well, when we actually went to play the game, we found out we needed the 3D glasses for the Master System. That's actually how we learned about the 3D glasses in the first place. So, the day after christmas, he took me to Toys R Us and bought me a pair of 3D glasses to play Space Harrier - essentially my first console upgrade. While we were there, since we were picking up 3D glasses, he decided to buy me another Sega 3D game on the spot, and I chose Maze Hunter 3D.

Damn I love that game. It gets absolutely no love, and in retrospect it wasn't a great game or anything (but definitely not bad either), and it had no real reason to be in 3D. But, simply because it was in 3D, I played the hell out of that game. I really like the music and graphics in that game, and the gameplay was a lot of fun. Kind of a mix of gauntlet and Legend of Zelda, without the Zelda item progression stuff. I remember when I figured out that you could get an extra life by hitting an enemy when you grabbed the rod.

I would love for that game to come back onto modern hardware.

Top Bottom