• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives 2 (3D Classics compilation, 3DS) announced for JP, Dec 23

rjc571

Banned
There's really no reason other than greed why they couldn't just throw every 3D Classic remake together into a single compilation, rather than breaking them up into multiple titles.

Bar81

There's really no reason other than greed why they couldn't just throw every 3D Classic remake together into a single compilation, rather than breaking them up into multiple titles.

Couldn't care less as long as we get them in nice physical format.

I almost bought the first collection but decided I'd prefer to buy the original cartridges instead. I like the idea of these compilations, but the fact that the first title was missing so many games made it feel like a rip-off compared to the numerous Sega collections released over the years, 3D or not.

Ken Sugimori has returned to do the cover art, and there's a preview with a big obnoxious mosaic. Can you Guess That Pokemon?
iSmIMtO.jpg
It kind of looks like Fox's render from Sm4sh, even if it's not Fox.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Sega revealed one more surprise for this compilation: the Master System version of Fantasy Zone, updated with FM sound! http://www.famitsu.com/news/201511/25093673.html

EDIT: SMS FZ is a special unlock bonus for people who own both 3D Archives releases.

Video with 3D SMS FZ 1/2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVjciBfLnXA

To recap, this compilation includes:

Sonic the Hedgehog (MD)
Altered Beast (MD)
Fantasy Zone 2 DX (AC, more or less)
Thunder Blade (AC)
Galaxy Force II (AC)
Power Drift (AC, compilation-exclusive)
Puyo Puyo Tsu (AC, compilation-exclusive)
Maze Walker (SMS, compilation-exclusive)
Fantasy Zone 2 (SMS, compilation-exclusive)
Fantasy Zone (SMS, compilation-exclusive)

@MUWANdo

Banned
I think it checks your activity log to see if you've played the previous release.

As is the custom, there's a new interview with Okunari, Horii and new producer Shimomura: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/20151125_731681.html

It's only the first part of the interview and it's already 8 pages long, so I don't really have time to read it thoroughly, but they seem to be speaking pretty candidly about a potential Archives 3--the gist is that they've added even more bonus content and are doing things like the double-pack because they want to maximise sales of Archives 2 in order to ensure a third release.

Apparently, producer Shimomura was supposed to take over from Okunari a while ago but Okunari kept getting called back due to all the fits and starts with the second volume, so he hasn't worked on the series in earnest until the recent MD games, hence why he's so eager for Archives 3 to happen.

Espiox

Oh my god they named their Master System emulator "Sega Mark IIID" and "Sega Re:Master System" and made proper logos.

I really hope they finally expand to bringing over 3D games like Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing at least, but I REALLY want Saturn era stuff like Virtual-On, Panzer Dragoon, and NiGHTS.

Espiox

I hope they get to make a third Archives set with the rest of the games and release a cool box to put all 3 in like the Namco Museum Encore box.

sörine

Banned
I hope they get to make a third Archives set with the rest of the games and release a cool box to put all 3 in like the Namco Museum Encore box.
I hope they do a full Wave 3 and give us Revenge of Death Adder plus 5 more MegaDrive games (SOR3, Dynamite Headdy, MW4, Sonic 3K, etc).

Espiox

sörine;186727862 said:
I hope they do a full Wave 3 and give us Revenge of Death Adder plus 5 more MegaDrive games (SOR3, Dynamite Headdy, MW4, Sonic 3K, etc).

Sure, that would be cool too!

Still combing the interview. They're adding a radar feature and helper modes to the Master System versions of Fantasy Zone 1 and 2! Sounds like they added FM unit support to them too? Google's translation is confusing.

sörine

Banned
Oh my god they named their Master System emulator "Sega Mark IIID" and "Sega Re:Master System" and made proper logos.
This absolutely tickles me.

I really wish they'd release all the SMS games on the eShop too. I'll buy everything!

Sapiens

I already purchased Vol 1 with no way to really play it (HAX does not support it :( ) but I will be buying this as well.

Time to invest in a Japanese 3DS.

Espiox

I already purchased Vol 1 with no way to really play it (HAX does not support it :( ) but I will be buying this as well.

Time to invest in a Japanese 3DS.

Well, it works, but not the Master System games. Japanese 3DS is actually the way I've decided to go. There's just enough importable games to justify it now.

Sapiens

Well, it works, but not the Master System games. Japanese 3DS is actually the way I've decided to go. There's just enough importable games to justify it now.

It always crashes for me after I load one game. It sorta works.

Espiox

Crossposting from the 3D Classics OT because I don't know what the proper thread is for this.

Here's the launch day Game.Watch interview: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20151223_735466.html

The reason they give for the lack of major new bonus ("Grantanoff") features in Power Drift and Puyo Puyo is that they consider those games to be the "Grantanoff" of the Archives 2 package in general. Which makes me wonder if they're even planning to do eShop releases of those two.

Sounds like Archives 2 also includes small upgrades to the other games? Like better sound emulation on Sonic 1 and Altered Beast and some kind of fixes for FZ2 Link Loop Land (that will get patched into the eShop version later). Possibly also proper music emulation in Galaxy Force 2? The Google translation on that article was difficult to decipher.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

Top Bottom