• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 60'th Anniversary.

Holammer

rKLMtGs.jpg

So Sega is celebrating its 60th anniversary and there's currently a huge store hero on Steam. As discussed in other threads, Sega will release a couple of free promotion games listed below. Add the games to your Steam account while the event lasts, they will be removed later.
So this got me thinking, are these games just event filler to drum up hype or teasers for actual product that'll be unveiled later? A similar thing happened for Bayonetta where they dropped an 8bit style limited time promo game ahead of the actual game. There's plenty of Yakuza games left to port or maybe they'll stealth release a bunch of Sega Ages titles like Outrun, Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone etc? New Company of Heroes?

What do you think, do they have any further surprises in store?

Fantasy Zone/Endless Space.
Streets of Rage/Yakuza
Golden Axe Prototype pitch made in two weeks.
Combat style Company of Heroes.

Holammer

That Golden Axe cancelled prototype sounds really enticing. Wonder what system it was in development for...
The prototype was made back in 2012, if it got a greenlight and Sega ordered the game? Development would have taken 1-2+ years and it would have comfortably arrived in time for the PS4/Xbone launch period.

Flintty

I’ve gotta try that Golden Axe game.

Also, green and orange lines on the floor in that arcade 🙈

Xbox and OG Xbox Live colours 😉

MiguelItUp

Golden Axed is going to be so damn bittersweet as I've wanted a new 4 player Golden Axe for what feels like forever. :(

Sega has been giving their older IPs a bit of love over the past few years, so I'm hoping that keeps up. I just want to see all the solid classics come back as new titles, it'd be so good!

Carna

Banned
sonic mania was never good
Fixed

Edit: I also hope they found the source code for Panzer Dragoon Saga, and maybe have the valkyria chronicles team make a new Shining in the vein of the genesis games.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Looking forward to trying Endless Zone, as I love Fantasy Zone. I dunno if I dig the generic visuals but fuck it.

Hopefully we'll get some console goodies too!

I still love Sega as much as I did in the 80s. Their library is timeless and I hope they'll continue to bring their classics forward, especially their arcade masterpieces.

Reactions: Isa

Zephir

Good stuff and everything, but right now I can't look at Sega without remembering we still know nothing about the next Sonic game...Covid might have slow down development, but there's no way they have literally nothing to show... And even the whole "waiting for the right time" is stupid right now

Kazza

Good stuff and everything, but right now I can't look at Sega without remembering we still know nothing about the next Sonic game...Covid might have slow down development, but there's no way they have literally nothing to show... And even the whole "waiting for the right time" is stupid right now

The 30th anniversary isn't until next year, so there is still plenty of time (especially if the game(s) is coming at the end of next year. Covid may have had an impact of course (those monthly announcements kind of just disappeared.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Gonna make a very stupid question, but I don't need to install the games right? If they show up in my library is that good?
They all seem to be super small files anyway (only a few secs to download), so you may as well just download now. That said, I just realised that I never downloaded 8-bit Bayonetta and it downloaded just now fine.
Speaking of you can add 8bit Bayonetta to your library via this link:
Code:
http://web.archive.org/web/20170411002611/http://store.steampowered.com/app/567090/

Game is delisted but still available to add to your account.

Last edited:

Isa

I adore old Sega, and its cool to see them returning to form somewhat over the years. But I'm baffled that they haven't taken the opportunity to release more of their catalog across modern systems. I'd love a Master System collection, and especially a Saturn one. I would be so stoked to be able to finally play Shining Force III, as I bought a used system but the store ripped me off as the disc drive was busted and wouldn't repair or take it back. Still, I've always wanted to play it without resorting to piracy. What would excite me more than anything would be to see them announce some games returning to their roots. Don't have to be AAA, just a decent b effort would suffice. I want a good Golden Axe, and proper Shining Force or Shining in the Darkness. With that old art style, its so timeless and ... cheerful? I wondered what a SF title would look like in a Valkyria Chronicles system. Could be awesome! But no, let's just let it all rot in obscurity. I'm all for them celebrating their 60th, its great.

Sorry to piss on peoples parade, but as a disgruntled fan it just seems like there is so much more they could be doing. Where's the console love? The classic games that have yet to receive any modern port, if any? It just boggles my mind that so many companies have no idea what the fanbase wants. Jesus I'd be stunned if a Phantasy Star ala 1,2 and 4 were released. I don't care what style it'd be, a 2D game or a 3D one, just with a different art style and tone from the Online games. I know it'll never happen, as that is what they're known for now. I'll keep enjoying the Yakuza games and Atlus stuff of course, and that Balan game looks pretty cool in a Nights sort of way. But it will take a lot to rouse my interest in the company.

They all seem to be super small files anyway (only a few secs to download), so you may as well just download now. That said, I just realised that I never downloaded 8-bit Bayonetta and it downloaded just now fine.

Doing it now, besides I absolutely need to try Streets of Kamurocho lol.

Code:
http://web.archive.org/web/20170411002611/http://store.steampowered.com/app/567090/

HELL YEAH! Thank you so much for this, added it as well.

JSoup

Banned
Code:

If that link doesn't work, try this one, make sure you're logged into Steam:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Dreamcast 2 would be a personal winner considering SEGA has exclusive gamers are licking their chops at the thought of an exciting exclusive ridden Dreamcast 2.

JSoup

Banned
(suppose you get them if you claimed the games)

Nope. I don't know if it's up anymore, but there is a Sega stream going on through Steam Broadcast. Watch/idle it for 15 minutes and you'd get a background, mini-profile background, animated sonic avatar and an animated avatar boarder.

Holammer

Nope. I don't know if it's up anymore, but there is a Sega stream going on through Steam Broadcast. Watch/idle it for 15 minutes and you'd get a background, mini-profile background, animated sonic avatar and an animated avatar boarder.

Weird, I got it and I haven't watched the stream. Maybe I had the steam page up in the background without thinking about it.

Carna

Banned
Rumored a dreamcast mini is in the works, but I usually those types of things with a grain of salt until I see more evidence (like Silent Hill PS5)

JSoup

Banned
Weird, I got it and I haven't watched the stream. Maybe I had the steam page up in the background without thinking about it.

If you had a page up with a game that's part of the event, you had the stream open. It's right at the top of every sale game page.

Top Bottom