• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega accidentally leaks minutes of meeting with SCEA - PS2 emulation & more discussed

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmm, so it's not April 1..

This link is still live as of right now:

ftp://segapr.segaamerica.com/SEGA_News/SCEA Meeting Aug 5th Notes BH.doc

Meeting was Aug 5.

The notes; I've bolded some of the more interesting bits:

SCEA Meeting Aug 5th Notes
Aug 6 2009 – DRAFT FOR COMMENTS

Objectives of Meeting
Dyer agreed to regular quarterly meetings with SOA

Sony PS3
SCEA reiterated plans to sell 13 million PS3s this year
Big announcement back half of year they can’t talk about (potentially price cut of PS3 to reach hardware goals)
SCEA commented on indexing between PS3 and 360 SKUs, should be around 2:1 to garner most favorable treatment.

Motion Controller
Spring 2010 launch (March in JP)
No bundle/pricing details yet, should come Sept 1
Plan on selling 4-5MM units WW
SCEA agreed to provide a list of Sega IP that would work well with the motion controller, Virtua Tennis was an example
Motion Controller support allows easy way to differentiate PS3 SKU
Other differentiation opportunities include PSP/PS3 interoperability – think of features that would make users want to buy both PS3 and PSP SKUs.

Alpha Protocol
Michael Foster, product evaluator, said AP felt barely RPG. Initial level too challenging for players. “Mass Effect felt more RPG.”
Review notes sent to John Merlino a few weeks prior. After meeting Gerald mentioned AP is a high priority for his team.

Planet 51
Sell in of PS3 SKU – SCEA noted that other movie titles on PS3 had underperformed as well (inc. Transformers) this cycle.
Dyer suggests contacting Susan at Walmart and asking what she wants in the pack to sell this SKU (movie tix etc)
Other possibilities are Hybrid movie disc (BD 25 or 50 with Game and Movie on same disc).

Bayonetta
Collectors edition with Bayonetta Action Figure
Novo recommended launching PSN demo around Xmas based off a Jan 5th Ship date with 2-3 week run out to launch.
3-4 weeks is usually ideal demo timing with fresh content every week leading up to launch (trailers, insider video about PG heritage, video blogs).

Vancouver 2010
HOME, Olympic destination would garner a lot of positive attention from SCEA
Should be doing same with Bayonetta, Marvel etc. Easy to launch in all territories.
HOME merchandizing opportunities (clothes etc).

Sonic Racing
Open to DLC to differentiate PS3 SKU – not ratchet and clank but other characters
maybe characters from Rare or Fable universes

Yakuza
Could put Japanese games directly on PSN for download in a special Japanese Import section (pricing $9.99 to $39.99 for full game).
Might need to localize menus at least with subtitles.
SCEA interested in helping on MKTG side if they can have period of exclusivity.

AVP
Another great HOME candidate
AVP avatars
Hybrid BD disc with movie

Iron Man 2
Great candidate for HOME space – explore Tony Stark’s lab etc.
Should have one for Marvel in general.

PSU2
Could do bundle at GameStop with PSP 30-35K units on UMD, Go, or both.

Valkyria 1937
Could bundle with PSP as well.

Vanquish and Aliens: CM
Opportunity for PS3/PSP interoperability (see Eidos Batman, Army of Two, Assassin’s Creed for good examples).
If we offer that SCEA would be really interested in having us at their booth next E3.

Thor
SCEA would like a look at the code soon.

Sonic Anniversary
Could put out collectors edition with all old sonic games on one BD disc.

“Best of Sonic” for around $99.
SCEA would love PSN exclusive power ups/different game modes (like Castlevania’s flip it over/backwards)

PS2 emulator for PS3 (confidential)
SCEA wants to sell all PS2 titles on PSN (GTA Vice City/Sonic/etc)
For co Marketing money show PS3 controller on TV ads – similar to EA Madden Spots, NCAA, etc…

London Olympics
Perfect opportunity for Motion Controller integration.

DC Digital Titles
If we provide a list of DC titles SCEA will let us know which ones they’re interested in having exclusively.
If we give them a long period of exclusivity they’ll give us more marketing support.

PSP Titles
For SKU differentiation it’s best to offer features that are slightly different from PS3 version.
Titles that are coming up on PSP are Assassin’s Creed II, GTA China Wars, Resident Evil, Little Big Planet – all massive franchises.
SCEA has a specific PSP deck which they can send up with their hardware director for a chat.

Spotted via: http://www.objectif-sega.com/+Exclu++Strategie+de+SEGA+++l+incroyable+fuite++-news-1637.htm

The mention of 'rare and fable universes' is perplexing unless that was a confused annotation by the sega person!

HUELEN10

Looks like it is down, it is for me at least.
16k6qnl.png

Way to ninja it OP!

HUELEN10

HOLY SHIT, SONIC ANNIVERSARY!?!??!?!?!?!

OP, is this really real? Please upload the .doc somewhere! You said it was live when you posted this thread, you must have the file!

It still seems fishy to me though, especially the "Fable" and "Rachet & Clank" parts...

Yakuza
Could put Japanese games directly on PSN for download in a special Japanese Import section (pricing $9.99 to $39.99 for full game).

This is very interesting. I'm guessing this is where the Yakuza 3 localization story originated from?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yakuza
This would be awesome.

Steroyd

The mention of 'rare and fable universes' is perplexing unless that was a confused annotation by the sega person!

Rare or fable universes, a bit like when Star Wars met Soul Calibur, or Greek Mythology ala kratos.

At least that's how I think it's supposed to be read, I probably came to the same conclusion as you when I first read that.

HUELEN10 said:

OP, is this really real? Please upload the .doc somewhere! You said it was live when you posted this thread, you must have the file!

It still seems fishy to me though, especially the "Fable" and "Rachet & Clank" parts...

The .doc is still up, I've got it. None of these things are set in stone though, these are things that were suggested at the meeting.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
HUELEN10 said:

Gimme a few minutes, I'll upload the original somewhere.

CTLance

Iiiiinteresting.

I still very much doubt they can get a true PS2 emulator to run on stock PS3s, but eh, I'd love to be proven wrong. Maybe with some extensive patching and custom emu builds? Who knows.

That PSN store import section sounds awesome. I hope it comes to be.

KillerAJD

Holy shit...looks like Sony really wants its piece of the pie back.
What does this mean though?
"SCEA interested in helping on MKTG side if they can have period of exclusivity."

Acosta

Wow, I was thinking yesterday that having Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 2 through PSN would be the best scenario possible for Yakuza 3. I am glad they are thinking on that line.

Hero

So did Sony take out PS2 backwards compatibility so they can sell PS2 games as downloadables on PSN?

bloke

gofreak said:
Yakuza
Why are they talking about exclusivity, is Sega planning putting Yakuza on XBLA too?

PG2G

trudderham said:
Every PS2 game emulated on PSN? Damn, if true that's another reason for me to pick up a PS3 this Xmas!

I can't imagine why anyone would be happy knowing that Sony removed BC, found a way to bring it back, but will only do so if you rebuy every game you wanted to play.

Grayman

KillerAJD said:
"SCEA interested in helping on MKTG side if they can have period of exclusivity."
MKTG = marketing.

laserbeam

Banned
KillerAJD said:

Buying Timed exclusivity.

CTLance

I only see a README file in that directory, and a welcome.txt (as well as a bunch of subfolders of course).

The readme is a sendmail config file, and the welcome.txt lists some digicam photo filenames. WTF? :lol

"SCEA commented on indexing between PS3 and 360 SKUs, should be around 2:1 to garner most favorable treatment."

What does this mean in plain English?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Opportunity for PS3/PSP interoperability (see Eidos Batman, Army of Two, Assassin’s Creed for good examples).

Batman PSP?!

KillerAJD

Grayman said:
MKTG = marketing.
Ah, thank you. I wonder if the "exclusive" means platform wise (probably most likely) or territory wise (although I don't see why Sega or Sony want to cannibalize sales....though Sega did do that with Outrun) or even like patsu suggested, retailer exclusivity.

obaidr

Banned
spats said:
Oh boy. How soon will it become standard practise that something isn't leaked?

well you know, it is SONY :lol they cant get anything secrete these days. Even if it was sega in this case.

PS2 emulator for PS3 (confidential)
SCEA wants to sell all PS2 titles on PSN (GTA Vice City/Sonic/etc)

While I don't speak for everyone that would certainly tip me over the edge. That's a massive library to make available at your fingertips.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I should have put the prospect of DC titles on PSN in the thread title too, but I didn't actually notice that until now... that could be very sweet.

trudderham said:
Every PS2 game emulated on PSN? Damn, if true that's another reason for me to pick up a PS3 this Xmas!

What if you have to buy and download the games?

Doesn't seem likely though... I wonder how they'd implement it?

I don't like reading all the marketing negotiations. The nature of discussions might be an eye-opener for MS/Nintendo.

Top Bottom