• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega accidentally leaks minutes of meeting with SCEA - PS2 emulation & more discussed

Puck

Banned
aww, someone is going to get in a lot of trouble.

it's nice that sega and sony have a good relationship.

xbhaskarx

PS2 emulator for PS3 (confidential)
SCEA wants to sell all PS2 titles on PSN (GTA Vice City/Sonic/etc)

DC Digital Titles
If we provide a list of DC titles SCEA will let us know which ones they’re interested in having exclusively.
If we give them a long period of exclusivity they’ll give us more marketing support.

Whoa, lots of interesting stuff here.
This better not be a hoax...

Jay Sosa

^ Nah if you already own the game I doubt you would have to pay again, just like with the PSX titles. Everything else would be a rip off..

Yakuza
Could put Japanese games directly on PSN for download in a special Japanese Import section (pricing $9.99 to $39.99 for full game).
Might need to localize menus at least with subtitles.
SCEA interested in helping on MKTG side if they can have period of exclusivity.

AVP

Woah do want!

And it'a win win win: Nearly no costs for localization, no horrible VA and a lot of interesting games to choose from. The more I think I bout it: Please make it happen SOGY!

HUELEN10

Polari said:
Downloadable DC games? Hell yeah. Exclusive to PS3 bit can fuck right off though.
I have all 3, so I personally don't care. Will get an offset analog controller though, makes sense for DC games.
zn0djo.jpg

Well, except 1. Dullshock all the way ulala!

Sciz

It continues to blow my mind that after all these years of information and announcements leaking from that FTP, they still haven't implemented even a simple password to keep the general public out of it.

laserbeam

Banned
Such strange negotiations. Seems like SCEA still views itself as the market leader with its demands for exclusivity,wanting more hyping of Sony skus if Sega wants to be treated better etc

zoku88

SuperMattyFighter2T said:
So they removed PS2 BC so they could charge us for it on a per title basis? Eh, fuck that. I won't give them a dime.
I'm sure that's the reason :-/ Totally likely, disregarding the time lapse and the cost of the chip.

laserbeam said:
Such strange negotiations. Seems like SCEA still views itself as the market leader with its demands for exclusivity,wanting more hyping of Sony skus if Sega wants to be treated better etc
Doesn't seem like anything that MS doesn't do, cept that Sony seems to offer marketing rather than development money, judging from the notes.

Puck

Banned
So they removed PS2 BC so they could charge us for it on a per title basis? Eh, fuck that. I won't give them a dime.
they removed it so they can manufacture the console cheaper thus allowing reduction in price to consumers, junior.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Why are people excited about ANOTHER Sonic compilation? All the good Sonic games are already on various collection discs.

Darkpen

Banned
Yakuza 3 and Kenzan released in western PSN stores w/ localization? Fuck yes please!

PS2 emulated games sold on PSN? Confidential? :OOOO

Dreamcast??? D:::

Interesting, they call VC2 "Valkyria 1937" internally...

HUELEN10

Sciz said:
It continues to blow my mind that after all these years of information and announcements leaking from that FTP, they still haven't implemented even a simple password to keep the general public out of it.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Long live the unlocked FTP! :D

lupin23rd

Wow, good stuff if true.

I can't imagine them actually porting Yakuza since they seem to not want to spend money even to localize it, but who knows.

And do we really trust Sony to ask for the right DC (or if possible, Saturn) games to put on PSN? :lol

daycru

Sciz said:
It's Sega.

Puck

Banned
and while it is potentially good news for consumers and always interesting, i don't think it is polite nor ethical for us to share trade secrets.

Puck said:
they removed it so they can manufacture the console cheaper thus allowing reduction in price to consumers, junior.

Wow, take off the Sony blinders. Sony is definitely looking out for your wallet dude. They would never do anything like that, right?

Puck said:
and while it is potentially good news for consumers and always interesting, i don't think it is polite nor ethical for us to share trade secrets.

lol

I think Sega shared the secrets when they put it up on a FTP with no password.

Sciz said:

The problem is people putting silly shit in there, not having a public folder to put press stuff in.

Andrew2

Banned
given the fact I still have my Dreamcast(and play it on a regular basis), DC on games PSN while sounding great is pointless to me. Now if it was Saturn titles I wouldn't mind since I don't have access to one anymore.

Darkpen

Banned
Wow, take off the Sony blinders. Sony is definitely looking out for your wallet dude. They would never do anything like that, right?
Stop kidding yourself. No shit they're after your wallet, just like every other giant corporation, but they had to change the hardware to reduce prices early on in an attempt to stay competitive, and BC just happened to be something they felt could be sacrificed, on hopes of developing a reliable software-based emulator.

CTLance

Mr./Mrs./Ms. B. Harborne, we salute your selfless sacrifice for the greater good.

Are deleted text pieces still stored inside of word docs? If so, then somebody should sift through that and look for other info. If someone thinks storing sensitive data like that on an open FTP is a good idea he might not know about that either.

Edit: apparently they aren't. Booo.

Darkpen

Banned
lupin23rd said:
Wow, good stuff if true.

I can't imagine them actually porting Yakuza since they seem to not want to spend money even to localize it, but who knows.

And do we really trust Sony to ask for the right DC (or if possible, Saturn) games to put on PSN? :lol
Dude D:

If they can get a Saturn emulator running on PSP.... holy shit :x

Maybe they could even localize some of the shit, too D: All in the Japanese imports section :O

Darkpen said:
Stop kidding yourself. No shit they're after your wallet, just like every other giant corporation, but they had to change the hardware to reduce prices early on in an attempt to stay competitive, and BC just happened to be something they felt could be sacrificed, on hopes of developing a reliable software-based emulator that they could charge for per game on PSN.

Fixed. Funny how that works out.

lupinko

So the Dreamcast 2 after all is just the PS3? :lol

Then again with how Takeuchi described the wand use, the PS3 is also Pachter's WiiHD. :lol

regarding BC being online only, this probably is the only way you will see it.
the company doesnt want you to use the discs you may have already bought, they would like you to buy them again, this way they make more money.

fanboi

Banned
lupinko said:
So the Dreamcast 2 after all is just the PS3? :lol

Then again with how Takeuchi described the wand use, the PS3 is also Pachter's WiiHD. :lol

You know, the PS3 do a lot of things

Jay Sosa

Andrew2 said:
given the fact I still have my Dreamcast(and play it on a regular basis), DC on games PSN while sounding great is pointless to me. Now if it was Saturn titles I wouldn't mind since I don't have access to one anymore.

I too still have my DC, but the joypad is horrible, I don't own a VGA box (there was no point having one back then) and beeing able to play all the games with a wireless pad would be a big bonus.

Darkpen said:
Yakuza 3 and Kenzan released in western PSN stores w/ localization? Fuck yes please!

That's not what it says though. They could release japanese games on the PSN, and they might translate the menus. Doesn't say anything about actually localizing the rest of the game.

HUELEN10

lupinko said:
...wait a minute.

Sonic Anniversary: Could put out collectors edition with all old sonic games on one BD disc.
“Best of Sonic” for around $99.

Best of Sonic huh...

DS3 has SIXAXIS...

Secret Rings was one of the best 3D Sonic Games...

Secret Rings...

HD...

Please be real Sonic Anniversary!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
fanboi said:
You know, the PS3 do a lot of things

:lol , just as I was coming in here to say "The PS3 really does do everything"

Dam exciting news if true, will be interesting to know what they will charge for games like GTA:S etc.

rainking187 said:
That's not what it says though. They could release japanese games on the PSN, and they might translate the menus. Doesn't say anything about actually localizing the rest of the game.

It said "Localize menus with subtitles". That could mean a billion things... like localize menus with subtitles in game. Or that they're just localizing the menus, but then that seems pretty pointless.

Darkpen

Banned
rainking187 said:
bu-bu-but "subtitles" :<

lupinko

Well if they wanted to, Sega could always just release translation patches/addons for their Japanese only games. I mean they've done it already actually with Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 for the Korean market. I remember reading about how the Korean translation patch is available on the Korean PSN, although I never checked and only heard about it. Can anyone confirm?

Andrew2 said:

People need to try the NullDC emulator and in high definition,don't have to buy Sega games on PSN just to play them.

:D

HUELEN10

OMG, I just thought of something!

What has 1 analog stick, a D-pad, 4 face buttons, 2 shoulders, and a screen? A DC pad with a vmu...

or a PSP!

They could totally use the PSP as a controller for DC games! It would help emulate the VMU as well. Damn, the possibilities really are endless!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yeah, it sounds like they were talking about creating a section on the PSN store that would allow for the release of Japanese games that otherwise wouldn't get a Western release, with a minimum of localisation. A digital import store, basically, with maybe a little english help to get you going.

I think in the case of Yakuza, Ignition's interest in it probably supercedes all of this conversation about it now though.

As for PS2 emu, I hope it would be general emulation that allows you to use your discs.

A lot of these things sound like they're very early though, like the DC games etc. Just throwing around ideas and such. PS2 emu might be a little further down the road though if they're already talking about it in confidential (ha) terms and so on.

Top Bottom