• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega accidentally leaks minutes of meeting with SCEA - PS2 emulation & more discussed

kassatsu said:

I'm not mad. Just surprised people are happy about having something taken away from them so they can re-buy it again. I'm sure the BC hardware solution was the reason the PS3 launched at $600. Couldn't have been the cpu, gpu, chipset or any of that. It was the PS2 tech lol

Darkpen said:
And that changes what, exactly?

Not the sharpest pencil the tin, are you :/

Apparently I'm not the sharpest pencil the tin, but I try.

This leaked meeting really just reinforced my thoughts about Sony's lacking execution of amazing potential.

TIDBITS of amazing features that may or may not happen like Dreamcast titles available for download, or PS2 backwards compatability, people go freaking crazy.

How has Sony not market tested these theories a year ago and put them into motion. Don't get me wrong, I think the PS3 is fine as-is, but when you have a chance to jump at some of that awesome functionality, does Sony really think this WON'T move a ton of consoles?

I just hope Sony's focus isn't lost on this wand gimmick.

patsu said:
...probably exclusive from retailer perspective.

This, timed exclusivity means PSN-exclusive before shipping to retail.

Also - GIEF IMPORT SECTION! Would kill for Japanese games with subtitles, don't care about English voices.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Jet Grind Radio! said:
I half expect to see this thread half-full of Huelen posts when I wake up.

You don't even need to wake up!

I hope they haven't messed with Alpha Protocol too much since this meeting that shall live in infamy, although I suppose being less difficult and more RPG Like Mass Effect (hnngh) can only help its chances.

HUELEN10 said:
OMG, I just thought of something!

What has 1 analog stick, a D-pad, 4 face buttons, 2 shoulders, and a screen? A DC pad with a vmu...

or a PSP!

They could totally use the PSP as a controller for DC games! It would help emulate the VMU as well. Damn, the possibilities really are endless!

Nice idea!

An actual DC pad is about 100000000000000000000000000000000x more comfortable than a PSP though. Hell, its arguably more comfortable than a DS3

Darkpen

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
OMG, I just thought of something!

What has 1 analog stick, a D-pad, 4 face buttons, 2 shoulders, and a screen? A DC pad with a vmu...

or a PSP!

They could totally use the PSP as a controller for DC games! It would help emulate the VMU as well. Damn, the possibilities really are endless!
PSP Go for exclusive wireless functionality, tethered to usb for older models D:

lupinko said:
Well if they wanted to, Sega could always just release translation patches/addons for their Japanese only games. I mean they've done it already actually with Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 for the Korean market. I remember reading about how the Korean translation patch is available on the Korean PSN, although I never checked and only heard about it. Can anyone confirm?
I hate the fact that the Korean store requires some sort of personal ID# for registration :<

PJX

DC Digital Titles
If we provide a list of DC titles SCEA will let us know which ones they’re interested in having exclusively.
If we give them a long period of exclusivity they’ll give us more marketing support.

Smart Sega is smart. Sega just offered the same deal to MS. It will boil down to whoever offeres the most money.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SuperMattyFighter2T said:
I'm not mad. Just surprised people are happy about having something taken away from them so they can re-buy it again. I'm sure the BC hardware solution was the reason the PS3 launched at $600. Couldn't have been the cpu, gpu, chipset or any of that. It was the PS2 tech lol

Whatever about the cost breakdown of the original hardware, the removal of the PS2 hardware was - coincidentally perhaps - accompanied by a significant reduction in motherboard complexity. I've said it before, but the removal of PS2 hardware probably saved them more money than just the cost of the individual chips.

It would have been MUCH easier for Sony to simply keep hardware bc in for all units. They could be selling ps2 games to all users right now, turning revenue already. Going the software emu route is a significantly more complex (and costly in terms of engineering dollars) way of doing things.

If the emulator is general I'd be fairly confident it'll work with discs.

If it's a per-game thing I'd expect them to be select downloadables ala the Psone games on the store.

Either way it's better than what we have now, it's more ways to get to PS2 content.

buffi

Banned

The reason PS3 launched at $600 was mostly due to CELL and Bluray. Bluray drives were insanely expensive and CELL was still pretty costly as well. If I remember correctly they lost money on each unit despite them being $600.

Steroyd

So they removed PS2 BC so they could charge us for it on a per title basis? Eh, fuck that. I won't give them a dime.

Or it could be like PS1 software emulation.

Will be surprised if they cockblock PS2 games from being read on the PS3 entirely.

IrishNinja

Hero said:
So did Sony take out PS2 backwards compatibility so they can sell PS2 games as downloadables on PSN?

i always assumed this was the case, cant imagine why it woudlnt be. why not sell gamers back potentially the greatest console library out there?

yakuza & dreamcast shit sounds exciting though, and a sonic collection (why $99?) with flip-levels...holy shit.
i like the idea of sony as the underdog fighting for my dollar here, but i dont know how comfortable i am with them on a telepathic level.

HUELEN10

Jet Grind Radio! said:
I half expect to see this thread half-full of Huelen posts when I wake up.

Or half-empty, if you're an optimist.
Can't a guy discuss the on-topic in a discussion forum in peace? :(
PJX said:
Smart Sega is smart. Sega just offered the same deal to MS. It will boil down to whoever offeres the most money.
Source please!

Kujo

gofreak said:
DC Digital Titles
If we provide a list of DC titles SCEA will let us know which ones they’re interested in having exclusively.
JETSETRADIOJETSETRADIOJETSETRADIOJETSETRADIOJETSETRADIOJETSETRADIO

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
HUELEN10 said:
Source please!

Well we can't know for sure, but it'd be safe to surmise they talk to MS about these things too ;) Sony knows it as well, hence offering marketing support for their pick of certain exclusives.

vazel

Banned
Actually I'm pretty sure the main culprit was the BD drive.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wands for next year, huh? We'll see how that goes.

DeVeAn

What Universe is this? If this is true, Dreamcast games on Playstation? How Ironic. Damn, This gives me hope with SEGA. Although, Sonic Collection for 99 bux? What will this have? I gotta know.

I'm not going to get excited about downloadable DC games on PSN when the PSone classics service has been so lackluster.

And I don't understand at all how some posters are leaping from DC to Saturn games.

I'd love to be proven wrong on both points here, but I'll need to see well implemented classic game download service from Sony to believe it.

Also, if the only way to play ps2 games turns out to be re-buying them, screw that. 99% of the domestic ps2 titles I have any interest in playing I own.

Darkpen

Banned
Here's the raw deal of the matter:

If Sony's PS2 BC solution turns out to be compatible with discs, everyone wins. If they choose to go down a download-only route, where each game is attached with an emulator, shame on them, and shame on us for buying. HOWEVER, if they can only provide a download-only solution, but the download only solution offers 720p/1080p with 2xAA at minimum like their God of War Remastered collection, then I am on the fucking train, as I imagine a lot of people will.

intheinbetween said:
i don't get this:

they already have full exclusivity for Yakuza, did i miss anything?
Yeah, I don't get that either. Weird. Maybe Sega plans on going multiplat with Yakuza :S

I like the ideas for using the extra blu ray space. If the sonic collection is extensive and has some careful development I'll pay $99 for it.

I assume the new game would be on the blu ray as well.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
What I'm curious about is how they 'want' to have 'all' PS2 titles on PSN yet they're drip-drip with their release of PSone games on the store?

Would they put more effort behind getting PS2 titles on the store because there might be more interest? Or did they have the foresight with their PS2 licensing agreements to cover digital distribution so they don't have to go negotiating for individual titles also PSone? Or is this a 'it's nice to want things' thing?

vag 2.0

leroy hacker said:
I'd love to be proven wrong on both points here, but I'll need to see well implemented classic game download service from Sony to believe it.

make a japanese psn account

Pachael

HUELEN10 said:
Can't a guy discuss the on-topic in a discussion forum in peace? :(

Source please!

Well, it's very likely they've also gone to MS and offered up a deal on DC titles on XBLA, since exclusivity windows are being bandied around. Exclusivity in retailers don't really make sense in this case.

gofreak said:
What I'm curious about is how they 'want' to have 'all' PS2 titles on PSN yet they're drip-drip with their release of PSone games on the store?

Would they put more effort behind getting PS2 titles on the store because there might be more interest? Or did they have the foresight with their PS2 licensing agreements to cover digital distribution so they don't have to go negotiating for individual titles also PSone? Or is this a 'it's nice to want things' thing?

well i think the PS2 titles will be only available to download thry PSN Store, i mean, i'm afraid you will have to buy them, we won't have b/c in ours PS3/PS3 Slim thanks to a fw update. and i also think not every PS2 title will be available due to emulation issues.

for me this would be a little bitersweet. i'd really love to play lots of PS2 titles on PS3, but i'm not sure i want to buy them again, even if they're 9.99$

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Darkpen said:
Yeah, I don't get that either. Weird. Maybe Sega plans on going multiplat with Yakuza :S

I think it's just a matter of Sony being aware that if these games were to come to the West as a matter of course, they'd attract the interest of MS. They likely don't have a formal exclusivity agreement with Sega on them, they're more like 'default' exclusives given their focus on the Japanese market, but that could change if they start seeing regular releases in the West. So with that in mind, SCEA might like to formalise an agreement before any western release that they're going to be involved with. It would seem prudent.

IrishNinja

Puck said:
they removed it so they can manufacture the console cheaper thus allowing reduction in price to consumers, junior.

not @ to tretton, for what that's worth.

fanboi said:
SEGA:

"We accidentally the whole business plan"

Sony:

"Our monkeys have done worse"

QFT.

I'm not going to get excited about downloadable DC games on PSN when the PSone classics service has been so lackluster.

very true. but if its also true that sega's talking with MS and sony both about, you know, properties theyve been sitting on and not making money off for years (or worse yet, having other teams farm out crap sequels), then there's a lot more incentive to put them up.
let's just hope its not backbone doing so, eh?

buffi said:
The reason PS3 launched at $600 was mostly due to CELL and Bluray. Bluray drives were insanely expensive and CELL was still pretty costly as well. If I remember correctly they lost money on each unit despite them being $600.
Actually, even if PS3 removed the blu-ray player, it would have still cost $600, because the difference between a DVD player and blu-ray player was only $100 according to cost analysis. PS3 was said to cost $800-$840 to produce. The main mother board components (especially Cell + RSX was really expensive). Adding PS2 BC components wasn't exactly cheap either since the motherboard had to be larger.

Anyway, as for the news, kind of interesting. I would not be surprised about PS2 games being downloadable from PSN, since PS2 games might have to be reworked a little to run on PS3 (due to the GS high fill rate that makes them tough to emulate on PS3 hardware).

Darkpen

Banned
gofreak said:
I think it's just a matter of Sony being aware that if these games were to come to the West as a matter of course, they'd attract the interest of MS. They likely don't have a formal exclusivity agreement with Sega on them, they're more like 'default' exclusives given their focus on the Japanese market, but that could change if they start seeing regular releases in the West. So with that in mind, SCEA might like to formalise an agreement before any western release that they're going to be involved with. It would seem prudent.
That makes sense D:

Orobi

Great to ear some news about PS2 games on PSN...
I will pay to get some old great PS2 game wit Trophy support :D

plufim

NinjaFusion said:
i can't believe you fuckers haven't noticed this...

THOR FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!!
I hate to break it to you, but it's almost certainly a shitty movie tie-in for the upcoming marvel movie.

IrishNinja

NinjaFusion said:
i can't believe you fuckers haven't noticed this...

THOR FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!!

dude, Iron Man didnt go well, as a game. if this is looking to be another movie tie-in, im a marvel zombie but i cant get hyped.
now, a stand-alone game with simonson shit like beta ray bill, etc...well, then we'd be talkin'. but i dont think ive seen sega do a straight comic game since i bought Spider-Man vs the Kingpin for Sega-CD, and that was a while back.

Darkpen

Banned
Valkyria 1937
Could bundle with PSP as well.
If Sony released a PSP model, Go or 3000/4000, COVERED in Gallian camo like how the armor and tanks are patterned, I would fucking preorder that shit, even though I already have a PSP D:

God, I hope they do that with the Go D:

(Please, Sega, we know you're going through this thread facepalming, but please make a PSP Go bundle w/ a code for VC2, with the Go covered in a Gallian armor camo pattern :<)

Toki767

Well TGS is this week, here's to hoping we might here something about it there.

I'd imagine emulation would be on a per game basis as well. I would also think though, that Sony would try to make sure they can emulate all the big hits perfectly. Certain PS2 games are getting pretty rare though, so I'd be more than happy to buy some of the games I haven't been able to play yet.

Top Bottom