• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega accidentally leaks minutes of meeting with SCEA - PS2 emulation & more discussed

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Night_Trekker said:
Unless Chaotix is included. Chaotix is so bad, it will infect the other games with it's lack of fun and drag the whole thing down.
Kind of like what Spider-Man 3 did to the other movies? :D

THE Caffeinated said:
Yes, it was on sale with your sense of humour apparently.

Sonic 1, 2 and CD are the only Sonic games that matter to me. Did I have to type that out in bold for poeple to understand ? Jesus.

I guess next time your comment should at least be a *little* funny to get your "wit". I guess the added "u" in humor was needed to get the joke.

RadarScope1 said:
It's only $15, but it's $15 of pure profit for Sony and the publisher.

This.

It's why i'm astounded that MS pulled support for Xbox originals... if you only sell 5,000 at $15, you've just added $75,000 to your bottom line.... do a bit of promotion and PR and it's not unreasonable to assume you could make a quarter of a million for very little effort indeed.

Likewise PSone and PS2 on the PS Store...

But then again it's also why i think people who can;t understand why console makers don;t pack in HDMI cables - sure it's only 50cents for a cable... but when you're selling 13 million PS3's in a years then that's another 6.5 million you've just added to your bottom line, for nothing. Might not be right, but if it were your revenue target, you'd damn well do it.

it also increases your value offer to retailers - they can up sell or bundle.

Anyway.... i seem to have digressed.

HUELEN10

jrricky said:
The Dreamcast emulation reads like it wont be exclusive to the PS3...
If it isn't, that only means that even more people can enjoy the DC experience they missed, and that is never a bad thing! :D

lupinko

jrricky said:
The Dreamcast emulation reads like it wont be exclusive to the PS3...

Chances are it could be if Sony ponies up marketing support as what is mentioned in said doc....

amirite?

PG2G

lupinko said:
Chances are it could be if Sony ponies up marketing support as what is mentioned in said doc....

amirite?

No, it says "which ones they want exclusively"

Implies that specific games may be exclusive, not emulation as a whole

lupinko

PG2G said:
No, it says "which ones they want exclusively"

Implies that specific games may be exclusive, not emulation as a whole

Well what if Sony wants them all exclusively? See those notes can read anyway you want it to be. :lol

DC Digital Titles
If we provide a list of DC titles SCEA will let us know which ones they’re interested in having exclusively.
If we give them a long period of exclusivity they’ll give us more marketing support.

I'm sure it's been said before in this thread, but that seems one of the more pathetic attempts at securing an exclusive. More marketing support for a DD title? What's that mean, an ad on the PSN front page or whatever?

lupinko said:

amirite?
No, these are Sega's minutes. Sony has agreed to more marketing support for extended exclusivity.

Hobbun

This is promising news if true. It means that Sony still has some interest in BC, even if you might have to repurchase the PS2 games. I doubt I would do so as I have a huge PS2 library. So I obviously am hoping they mean disc emulation (which I doubt).

One good thing about it, again, if it is true, is that the games would be linked to your PSN account, not your actual console. Like how Nintendo has it set up with the Wii.

As for the Dreamcast games, I am certainly intrigued. I never had the system but I know there are some games I would have liked the play. The thing is, most of them have been remade or ported to other systems.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Son of Godzilla said:
I'm sure it's been said before in this thread, but that seems one of the more pathetic attempts at securing an exclusive. More marketing support for a DD title? What's that mean, an ad on the PSN front page or whatever?

Maybe. And/or the other avenues in which psn titles are promoted (pulse/qore/website etc.).

Or maybe it means generally. Like we'll give you some mroe co-marketing dollars for your games in general if you give us this or that. Needn't necessarily mean just for the DD title in question.

DMeisterJ

Banned
gofreak said:
Maybe. And/or the other avenues in which psn titles are promoted (pulse/qore/website etc.).

Or maybe it means generally. Like we'll give you some mroe co-marketing dollars for your games in general if you give us this or that. Needn't necessarily mean just for the DD title in question.

Or they could give them space in the [What's New] section, Home advertising, When you first turn the browser on and it's pushing a game/service, etc. Very conducive to having the knowledge of your product out.

Now this may all seem great, but i'm willing to put my hands on the fire that one thing will happen:

Seeing that DC/PS2 games on PSN is one of the most wanted features on the PS3, it will be made available....for Premium users!

Just wait and see...

ChackanKun said:
Now this may all seem great, but i'm willing to put my hands on the fire that one thing will happen:

Seeing that DC/PS2 games on PSN is one of the most wanted features on the PS3, it will be made available....for Premium users!

Just wait and see...

Well done on the stupidest post in this thread so far. I'm sure someone else will surpass it, but congrats.

ChackanKun said:

Just wait and see...
Yeah cos Sony really wants that press.

ChackanKun said:
Nice, just happened.

Can you really not see whats so dumb about your assumption? That both Sony and Sega would limit the amount of people that could buy their products with some crazy Premium PSN that doesnt even exist or been mentioned ever? Its the equivalent of MS making XBLA or On Demand games Gold Only.

ChackanKun said:

Just wait and see...

Why would they deny themselves of sales of games? Do you really think that 3rd party publishers would agree to such a split :lol

Thinking back on it - Remember last year when Sega re-upped the copyright on the Dreamcast and GAF half-jokingly prepared for the DC2? I always thought it was done in prep for a full line of DD DC re-releases starting 9/9/09. Guess they didn't hit the date, but at least they are thinking about it.

Onix said:
Then I think you just have unrealistic view of what a for-profit company 'owes' you.

And I think you have an annoying habit of lecturing people about their preferences when they intersect with those of a favored publically-traded corporation.

RadarScope1 said:
I think this is part of our disagreement, charlequin. You're talking about building brand equity with longtime gamers who have invested much time and money in all things PlayStation for the last 15 years. AKA, you and I and most of GAF. I'm talking about the average dumbass with a credit card who heard from a guy who knows a guy that God of War was pretty cool. AKA, most other people and like 4/5 of the Wii market.

My point is that with the former category being extremely unlikely to repurchase their games on the system, there's no reason you can't appeal to the latter (with full-game downloads) and the former (with disc BC) at the same time. And that I don't think this is a totally crazy idea, since it's how PS1 BC on PS3 and Xbox BC on 360 work.

Basically, I don't think the existence of the $5 shitbins at Gamestop meaningfully affects these PSN-type sales anyway, so I don't think people in the former category are going to skip out on buying these downloads in huge numbers just because the disc BC also works.

NinjaFusion said:
It's why i'm astounded that MS pulled support for Xbox originals...

They didn't, they just stopped adding more games to the program. Everything they'd already released is still up.

BuddyC

Hydrargyrus said:
If the document was a fake, this comment wouldn't have been done, so...
In the comments, Rorie added: "I was just trying to give a little context to the quote that was put out there. (And to clarify, I don't have any idea if that document is actually legit or not.)"

CamHostage

RelentlessRolento said:
ever since Sega announced they'd be doing Genesis for Wii VC back way when, I dreamed of the same for dreamcast games... :(

I didn't see anybody comment on it in this thread, but when I first read through the document, I was surprised that there was no mention of a Genesis "PSN virtual console" in their SCE talk. Hudson just released in Japan about five PC-Engine games running on emulation that work on both PSP and PS3, so it seemed logical that this was the testbed for a whole lot of classic console support. (If it were just running on PSP or PS3, I'd write it off as just a PSN game release, but the fact that they have dual emulators inside the app and the fact that they have their own menu when you hit the Home button means that Sony had a hand in the development.) I had already been putting money down that Genesis and PC-Engine and maybe other platforms would see a full-scale Classics Store announced at TGS. Dreamcast would be a natural part of that as well (on the PS3 side,) and so that supports my theory, but then no talk of Mega Drive and Saturn (if possible?) plans?

Raistlin

charlequin said:
And I think you have an annoying habit of lecturing people about their preferences when they intersect with those of a favored publically-traded corporation.

So now it's preferences? Obviously I would prefer that they have disc-based BC done in SW, but I think you need to take another look at the original post of yours I responded to.

There are some very interesting things (like digital "imports" and DC emulation) teased in this leak, but every single fucking person at Sony can die in a fire if they actually decide to add a PS2 "store" without re-enabling disc BC.

You stated you'd rather them simply not have a PS2 store at all if they can't get generalized BC working in SW. Maybe other people would prefer to have something rather than nothing.

Onix said:
You stated you'd rather them simply not have a PS2 store at all if they can't get generalized BC working in SW.

Basically any given individual title being sold online and not working with disc BC would be a complete bullshit scam and something that they should rightly be excoriated for. If the best they can do is individual game-by-game patches/emulator-settings blocks like 360, then I'd accept "only the games on the store actually work on disc," but not "we put 100 PS2 games up on the store and they still won't work if you actually own them already."

I share your passion, charlequin, but if it happnes I still expect them to do it the screwy way, not the sensible way.... Hope I'm wrong.

Raistlin

charlequin said:
Basically any given individual title being sold online and not working with disc BC would be a complete bullshit scam and something that they should rightly be excoriated for.

Wow, we're going in circles here. :lol

As I stated, you really did miss what I said in the original post:
me said:
If it's not a generalized emulator (ie. the ROM's need some modification to get them to run) ... I don't see why you're pissed.

If the game that you download had to be modified from the original ROM in order to work ... why is it a scam that the disc doesn't work?

If the best they can do is individual game-by-game patches/emulator-settings blocks like 360, then I'd accept "only the games on the store actually work on disc," but not "we put 100 PS2 games up on the store and they still won't work if you actually own them already."

good

lord

Onix said:
If the game that you download had to be modified from the original ROM in order to work ... why is it a scam that the disc doesn't work?

Because they can just put the patches on PSN, download them, and soft-patch the game in the drive -- again, exactly the same fucking way it works right now on the 360, which does indeed require custom patches to run each game.

Diablos

Ugh, they're going to make us pay for PS2 games on PSN? Just release a free patch for those of us who actually bought the game.

Snaku

Banned
Diablos said:
Ugh, they're going to make us pay for PS2 games on PSN? Just release a free patch for those of us who actually bought the game.

Seems to be in-line with their PSP Go strategy.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Snaku said:
Seems to be in-line with their PSP Go strategy.

Completely different. And not in line with the closer analog - PSone games on PS3.

You're not being forced to pick up a Go. It's the same software platform as the PSP. Thus they probably feel less urgency about accomodating people 'upgrading' from a PSP to a Go since it's not really a 'must'.

The PS3 however is a new software platform. You are 'forced' to pick it up if you want to play PS3 games. They should - if they technically can - accomodate PS2 owners bringing their collection with them if they're going to make playback of that software available on the platform.

Whether PS2 games are available ONLY on the store comes down to one thing and one thing only: whether the mechanism is actually an emulator or not. If they have to port these games on a case by case basis, then I don't see them providing for disc playback of those games. If however it is actually emulation, then as with PSone emu, I would fully expect disc support in addition to the availability of games on PSN.

Top Bottom