• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega AGES games on the Switch

BigDeadFreak

Neo Member
Jul 7, 2018
Also, the Saturn version of Sega Rally had better handling than the arcade version but the arcade has better graphics. Therefore, they'd have to make an amalgamation of the two in order to do it justice. That would involve reprogramming the whole thing which would be too expensive.

If I ever become a billionaire this is the sort of thing I'm gonna spend my money on. Forget ending world hunger or landing on Mars, it's hi res, home versions of Sega Rally, Die Hard Arcade and the driving sections of Batman Returns on the Mega CD.

Reactions: Kazza and phil_t98

Kazza

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
The problem is that 1) the price for securing said licenses have most likely shot through the roof, and 2) far fewer copies of any videogame, e.g. Sega Rally, would be sold today than at the time of the original arcade & console releases.

A perfect example: back in 1992, Atari Corp paid $50K for the license to Batman Returns for their Atari Lynx videogame. How much do you think the Batman license will set you back today? Assuming that someone else doesn't have exclusive rights to it already?
I suspect that the licencing fee thing may be a little exaggerated. After all, Sega had two Disney games on their Mini console, so I don't think the fee mus have been that high. It also gives the licencee a little extra exposure (not that Disney IPs need it), so it's a win-win. In 1992 Batman returns was a hot licence as the movie had just come out, but now I think re-releasing say Batman Returns Megadrive edition wouldn't cost that much, as it can no longer be thought of as a tie-in.

Alien v Predator got a re-release recently on Capcom's own mini console, something which I don't think they would have done if the licencing was really expensive. That said, it's still likely a little more expensive than just releasing one of your company's old IPs, and with such a large number of their own games available I guess Sega and others don't think the extra little cost is worth it. It's a shame, there's a lot of licenced games that I would like to see re-releases of. A Jurassic Park ot Terminator or Batman collection including all 8/16-bit as well as arcade games would be great.

TriSuit666

Jul 2, 2018
The problem is that 1) the price for securing said licenses have most likely shot through the roof, and 2) far fewer copies of any videogame, e.g. Sega Rally, would be sold today than at the time of the original arcade & console releases.

A perfect example: back in 1992, Atari Corp paid $50K for the license to Batman Returns for their Atari Lynx videogame. How much do you think the Batman license will set you back today? Assuming that someone else doesn't have exclusive rights to it already?
Daytona BC was recently relisted and on sale on Xbox store. As recently as this month.

Reactions: DT MEDIA

Birdo

Jun 12, 2019
Venus
I suspect that the licencing fee thing may be a little exaggerated.
Car licencing is a little different. They are dealing with car companies, rather than entertainment franchises.

This gen we have seen big games like Forza Horizon 1, 2, and DriveClub removed from digital stores. As well as classics like GTI Club and Outrun 2 last gen.

It's interesting that Daytona USA is back on the Xbox digital store (It was removed for a while). It looks like Sega renewed the Daytona branding........... So there is hope for an AGES version.

Reactions: Kazza

MrA

Mar 9, 2020
Also, the Saturn version of Sega Rally had better handling than the arcade version but the arcade has better graphics. Therefore, they'd have to make an amalgamation of the two in order to do it justice. That would involve reprogramming the whole thing which would be too expensive.

If I ever become a billionaire this is the sort of thing I'm gonna spend my money on. Forget ending world hunger or landing on Mars, it's hi res, home versions of Sega Rally, Die Hard Arcade and the driving sections of Batman Returns on the Mega CD.
The hero we need....

TriSuit666

Jul 2, 2018
I suspect that the licencing fee thing may be a little exaggerated. After all, Sega had two Disney games on their Mini console, so I don't think the fee mus have been that high. It also gives the licencee a little extra exposure (not that Disney IPs need it), so it's a win-win. In 1992 Batman returns was a hot licence as the movie had just come out, but now I think re-releasing say Batman Returns Megadrive edition wouldn't cost that much, as it can no longer be thought of as a tie-in.
Scud Race alone seems like a logistical nightmare. You'd need separate licenses from:

Renault (enemy cars are Renault Alpines)
Lamborghini (Sonic and Tails are sat in a Countach on the advert board on the Beginner day track)
Porsche/RUF (911 Yellow Bird)
Ferrari (F40)
McClaren (F1)
Dodge (Viper)

Also, the license for:
JAL (branded planes in the Beginner Night track)
NASA (potentially, the Shuttle on the Expert track)
FIA (for the BPR logos - actually, they're probably handling the car licenses)

That's off the top of my head, so there's probably more in there...

Last edited:
Reactions: Kazza