• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega AGES games on the Switch

Bullet Club

The first 2 Sega AGES by M2 are now out on the Switch eShop in the US & Europe: Sonic The Hedgehog & Thunder Force IV (Lightening Force in North America). The price for each of them is US$7.99/£5.99/AU$10.95.

Some of the other games coming soon are Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Ground Gain and Phantasy Star.

I can't wait for Phantasy Star!

A6ecgTf.jpg

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
M2 needs to get all of the money in order that they can work with a publisher to print and release physical copies of their titles. They do really great work and it would be sad if it was forever lost to the digital landscape. At least we have their conversions of Battle Garegga and the upcoming Ketsui on physical format.

I'd happily buy a 'SEGA Ages' pack like the old ones on PS2 and Saturn.

Last edited:

Doom85

I checked out details on the Wikipedia page and noted that Sega plans to first release 15 games from Genesis, arcade, and Master System but also Saturn and Dreamcast games are part of the plan as well. SWEET.

That's awesome they added a map to Phantasy Star. I said it in the other thread but that game is a bit rough for newcomers without a mapping feature, hopefully this gives a new generation of gamers to try out a truly influential game.

Hudo

M2 needs to get all of the money in order that they can work with a publisher to print and release physical copies of their titles. They do really great work and it would be sad if it was forever lost to the digital landscape. At least we have their conversions of Battle Garegga and the upcoming Ketsui on physical format.

I'd happily buy a 'SEGA Ages' pack like the old ones on PS2 and Saturn.
Yeah, that's why I'm hesitating to buy Thunder Force 4 right now. I do hope for a physical release at some point in the future. M2 are legit.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Some of the other AGES games that I forgot to mention in the OP are Out Run, Space Harrier, Columns II & Thunder Force AC.

Out Run is another must get for me.

Bullet Club

Virtua Fighter 1 seems very likely now.
It came in 4th in the poll, so it should happen.

Sega Fan Poll
  1. Jet Set Radio series
  2. Shenmue I & II
  3. Panzer Dragoon Saga
  4. Virtua Fighter series
  5. Shining series
  6. Panzer Dragoon series
  7. Sakura Wars series
  8. Puyo Puyo series
  9. Cyber Troopers Virtual-On series
  10. Burning Ranger
  11. Skies of Arcadia
  12. NiGHTS into dreams…
  13. Golden Axe series
  14. Mushiking: The King of Beetles series
  15. Phantasy Star Online
  16. Space Channel 5 series
  17. OutRunners
  18. Sonic Adventure 1, 2
  19. Daytona USA series
  20. SpikeOut series
  21. Dynamite Cop (Die Hard Arcade) series
  22. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  23. Virtua Racing
  24. Fantasy Zone series
  25. Dragon Force series
  26. Sega Rally series
  27. Phantasy Star (classic) series
  28. Guardian Heroes
  29. Out Run 2 (including SP)
  30. Wing War

Are SEGA AGES coming to PS and XBOX too?
There's been no mention of it yet.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
"Shining Series"
Haha... as if. They won't even accept Camelot's offer to make Shining Force 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Quick Question: does Thunder Force 4 include the slowdown from the Genesis version, or will it run at full speed ala the Saturn version? Does anybody know?

Hudo

What's Thunder Force AC? Is it an arcade version of Thunder Force IV? Also, can't wait for Galaxy Force II to come eventually! It's my favourite out of all the super scalar games.

Last edited:

ar0s

Excited Virtua Racing is coming. I'll probably pick that up for historical purposes.

Certainly not interested in any of the Mega Drive ones though.

Z..

Thunder Force IV (Lightening Force in PAL regions)

Actually, it's Thunder Force IV in PAL regions, Lightening Force is the name it was released under in North America, not PAL regions.

Quick Question: does Thunder Force 4 include the slowdown from the Genesis version, or will it run at full speed ala the Saturn version? Does anybody know?
The video below would lead me to believe you get to choose. Notice that second option on the menu there?
Gotta love M2.

Last edited:

Akuza89

My only quam is that a good few of theses are on the mega drive bundle that is coming to the switch soon, that other consoles got...

so what makes these different to the ones in the bundle? I mean objectively they are the same games... your just paying for them separately from the sega ages part...

Z..

My only quam is that a good few of theses are on the mega drive bundle that is coming to the switch soon, that other consoles got...

so what makes these different to the ones in the bundle? I mean objectively they are the same games... your just paying for them separately from the sega ages part...

Trust me on this one... if there's a choice and one of the versions is M2... that's the one you get. No hesitation.

The QOL features and emulation quality on the release you're talking about is light years from this level of quality, basically. Still playable, of course, but this stuff is a different kind of beast altogether.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

"Lightening Force" was the work of incompetent Sega of America marketing weasels. Technosoft never signed off on that. Notice how they couldn't even get the spelling right. It's Thunder Force 4 and that's the name that should be used.

(See Also: Astro, Tralfaz)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I paid $75 for the Sega AGES Fantasy Zone Complete Collection. I wouldn't mind having it digitally because my copy is still sealed.

Akuza89

Trust me on this one... if there's a choice and one of the versions is M2... that's the one you get. No hesitation.

The QOL features and emulation quality on the release you're talking about is light years from this level of quality, basically. Still playable, of course, but this stuff is a different kind of beast altogether.

Interesting, I noticed from people's reviews of them there are a few extra modes in there too.

Maybe it's going to worth getting both the collection and these... since not all of the games on the collection will be getting the Sega AGES treatment!

Z..

Interesting, I noticed from people's reviews of them there are a few extra modes in there too.

Maybe it's going to worth getting both the collection and these... since not all of the games on the collection will be getting the Sega AGES treatment!

Honestly? Get the other release on a different platform, if you have one. The steam versions are heavily discounted (as low as 25 cents a pop) quite regularly and any old computer will be able to handle it just fine, for example. But hey, you do you!

cireza

Banned
This is what is coming to Nintendo Switch
sega-ages-line-up.original.jpg
Will pick Space Harrier, Phantasy Star 1 and probably Virtua Racing. That's already a good selection, but I hope they aim higher than this, including Saturn and Dreamcast emulation.

With Rieko Kodama supervising the project, Skies of Arcadia is pretty much a given if you ask me. But Saturn emulation ? That's another beast. I hope they can get it right, fine tuning both emulator and game to allow for some games to be released again (Shining Force III, Panzer Dragoon Zwei + Saga, Burning Rangers to name a few).

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Anyone else sick to death of Sega flogging the same dead horse over and over and over with these Megadrive titles? Every time, every system, every collection its the same old names...sonic, space harrier, outrun, etc, etc.

Jesus, give us some of your Saturn and Dreamcast stuff ffs.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Anyone else sick to death of Sega flogging the same dead horse over and over and over with these Megadrive titles? Every time, every system, every collection its the same old names...sonic, space harrier, outrun, etc, etc.

Jesus, give us some of your Saturn and Dreamcast stuff ffs.

I certainly agree with this, and if you add in the compilation discs and "mini" consoles that you see dumped off at the local Walgreens for $50, it's easy to become a little bit jaded. I think Sega should learn from NIntendo how to hold back and wait a little. They're giving everything away far too easily. Of course, I've always been a big proponent of the Virtual Console, so I prefer having a single digital platform instead of downloading the same titles for every separate system. That said, I will be happy to support Sega as much as I can. For example, if I had an Xbox or PS4, I'd grab Shenmue 1 & 2 in a heartbeat.

Z..

Bought Thunder Force today. Running, sounding and looking great, M2 keeps delivering.

Shame you can't actually have no wallpaper when running it in original res... the "None" option still gives you a dark grey brackgound as opposed to the ideal black. Why is this particular issue so hard for most developers to understand when porting these games?

This basically translates to me not buying any more of these other than the absolute must haves where as true absence of wallpaper would mean I'd buy them all.

Sega, isn't it time we got Revenge of Death Adder?

I want these Sega Ages to Switch
tumblr_nqicd9YD9s1ssv2soo1_500.gif
SoulfulTalkativeKodiakbear-size_restricted.gif
tumblr_okrmzoMLOe1r7sijxo1_500.gif
tumblr_nmtq01PyUI1r7sijxo1_400.gif
tumblr_oj1bvyiGbV1w0qeejo1_500.gif

4-Arabian-Fight-Sega-AM2-Arcade-Coin-Op-Beatem-up-Xtreme-Retro.png

What's that first one? Doesn't look familiar at all. Oo

Arabian Fight isn't happening, though. Doubt it'll ever happen unless Sega gets bought out.

Last edited:

Pachi72

Bought Thunder Force today. Running, sounding and looking great, M2 keeps delivering.

Shame you can't actually have no wallpaper when running it in original res... the "None" option still gives you a dark grey brackgound as opposed to the ideal black. Why is this particular issue so hard for most developers to understand when porting these games?

This basically translates to me not buying any more of these other than the absolute must haves where as true absence of wallpaper would mean I'd buy them all.

Sega, isn't it time we got Revenge of Death Adder?

What's that first one? Doesn't look familiar at all. Oo

Arabian Fight isn't happening, though. Doubt it'll ever happen unless Sega gets bought out.
RAD MOBILE

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Rad Mobile (a.k.a Gale Racer on Saturn) would be great. The draw distance in Gale Racer wasn't as good as the arcade version, sadly.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The framerate either..also the cars were 3D..Should of been a straight port.
Yeah, especially since it came out several years after the arcade version. I played Rad Mobile a few weeks ago on one of the tilting cabinets and it was a lot of fun.

I'd love a modern port of Power Drift or Street Racer, too. Saturn racers are something special.

Kazza

Famitsu have just published an interview with the Sega Ages team regarding the recent twitter survey of most requested games. If you don't fancy reading through the rather confusing google auto-translation, then nintendolife seem to have the best English-language summary.

The most important take-away is that the team seem to have gotten Dreamcast emulation running on the Switch to some extent, although they seem a little vague as to whether they would use this approach or porting to bring Dreamcast games over. They already stated earlier in the year that they are keen on potentially bringing over Saturn and/or Dreamcast games to the Ages line-up, but have already confirmed that they won't be included in the initial batch of 15 games (which will consist of arcade, Master System and Megadrive/Genesis games only).

Despite Jet Set Radio topping the survey of most requested games, they appeared to pour cold water on any chance of it coming to the Switch any time soon. Although this seem like bad news, I have a (largely baseless) feeling that it could be because there's some kind of multi-platform port of Future (or even a brand new game) in the works.

Lastly, they also mention wanting to do the arcade Super Monaco GP at some point in the future. That was a title, much like Virtua Racing, that seemed destined for the 3DS classics, but never quite made the cut. Since Virtua Racing made it this time, I'm hopeful for Super Monaco.

Just a reminder of where we are right now:

Sonic the HedgehogMega Drive 20 September 2018
Thunder Force IV Mega Drive 20 September 2018
Phantasy Star Master System TBA
Alex Kidd in Miracle World Master System TBA
Gain Ground Arcade TBA
Space Harrier Arcade TBA
Out Run Arcade TBA
Columns II Arcade TBA
Thunder Force AC Arcade TBA
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Mega Drive TBA
Virtua Racing Arcade TBA

Of the 4 as yet unannounced first batch games, I would guess that Streets of Rage will be one, and maybe an arcade Shinobi game will be another (hopefully Shadow Dancer, but probably the original). If I was feeling crazily optimistic, then I would say Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder would also be one, but Sega has inexplicable forgotten about it, despite Golden Axe being one of their best known franchises.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Although this seem like bad news, I have a (largely baseless) feeling that it could be because there's some kind of multi-platform port of Future (or even a brand new game) in the works.
With Future being a full successor, wouldn't it actually increase the likelihood of the first game to be a priority for AGES?

Personally, I'd love to see Shining Force 3 (complete), since it has never seen a release outside Japan (outside of the frist part, which is incredibly expensive now).

Kazza

With Future being a full successor, wouldn't it actually increase the likelihood of the first game to be a priority for AGES?

I'd personally like to see a Jet Set Radio/Future double pack physical release, although this is entirely speculation (and maybe wishful thinking) on my part.

Shining Force 3 is a good call. Although people here often like to big up the Dreamcast, the Saturn actually beat it in sales and was around for longer, plus it was much more successful in Japan (Sega's most successful console in fact). Add in the fact that Sega Ages is being developed by Sega Japan, then there should be a decent chance of getting Saturn ports. Disappointingly, they only mentioned the Dreamcast in the interview, nothing said about Saturn. I'd love a chance to play Dragon Force.

Top Bottom