• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega AGES games on the Switch

Kazza

These choices were probably made because they had to implement the 3D effect, and they had invested a lot of work in a MegaDrive emulator that added 3D layers.

But overall, this shows that M2 is a small team that can only do so much. They have been promising way too many things lately, they won't be able to deliver.

That makes sense. They do seem to be using the arcade version recently (now that they don't have to worry about the 3D) - Gain Ground and Virtua Racing, for example.

Aren't there only 4 of them in the team (remember seeing an interview, but maybe there are more staff behind the scenes). Whatever the situation, they do seem to be struggling to keep up the pace a little.

Phantasy Star is 25% off until 3rd of Feb:

I know the sale is now over, but I bought this back when it came out and the game is still awesome. Granted I played when I was kid so I am biased, but it holds up pretty well if you can get over some minor annoyances like random encounters and having to grind for money (experience ain't bad and the game isn't that hard except for having to grind a bit at the start).

I'm playing on classic mode but from what I've read the Ages mode makes the game a lot more accessible. I recommend checking it out with a walkthrough to assist some of the puzzles/what to do. It's still one of my favorite early JRPGs.

Kazza

I know the sale is now over, but I bought this back when it came out and the game is still awesome. Granted I played when I was kid so I am biased, but it holds up pretty well if you can get over some minor annoyances like random encounters and having to grind for money (experience ain't bad and the game isn't that hard except for having to grind a bit at the start).

I'm playing on classic mode but from what I've read the Ages mode makes the game a lot more accessible. I recommend checking it out with a walkthrough to assist some of the puzzles/what to do. It's still one of my favorite early JRPGs.

Good to hear you're still enjoying it after all these years. See the video I posted earlier from the Happy Console Gamer. He played it in "modern" mode, and by his account it solved the problem of excessive grinding (double gold and XP, faster character movement etc). That might be more fun for you than the classic mmode.

Last edited:
Good to hear you're still enjoying it after all these years. See the video I posted earlier from the Happy Console Gamer. He played it in "modern" mode, and by his account it solved the problem of excessive grinding (double gold and XP, faster character movement etc). That might be more fun for you than the classic mmode.

Honestly I don't mind it that much since I grew up with the genre but I understand why it frustrates the new generation of gamers. Plus I'm almost done on Dezoris so I'm nearing the end :p

Bullet Club

JDK2fhx.jpg

SmrOcXe.jpg

BuZdo8A.jpg

UX7qTzK.jpg

Kazza

Wasn't Alex Kid already announced, or am I mistaken?

Anyway, I always look forward to what features M2 decide to add, and this is what I've found out regarding this Alex Kid port:

Alex Kidd in Miracle World on Switch keeps the fun of the original while utilizing the FM sound unit. Original Mode and AGES Mode will be separate. The Game Over function has also been simplified – there’s a Helper Mode in which you can rewind up to five seconds, making it easier for people who aren’t used to action games. At the start of all the important stages, the team has incorporated newly drawn scenes set to the Sukopako Cycle theme (a track previously unused in-game); they aimed at a more “completed” version of the original.

I'm looking forward to seeing the newly drawn scenes.

"Lightening Force" was the work of incompetent Sega of America marketing weasels. Technosoft never signed off on that. Notice how they couldn't even get the spelling right. It's Thunder Force 4 and that's the name that should be used.

(See Also: Astro, Tralfaz)
I hated Sega of America back then (there were no good Occidental games back in the days), and now that I know more of the behind the scene chenanigans i hate them even more...

mcjmetroid

I was disappointed by Thunderforce IV to be honest. Sound mixing was well off (The menus music was way louder than the game)

I also wanted the ability to turn down the sound while belting the music up. Also the music quality is muffled.

It plays a lot better on Kega Fusion.
It also controls pretty badly in handheld. It's way too twitchy.

The up side is the vast improvement on slowdown and the leaderboard.

I must try it again with my pro controllers but I wasn't too impressed for the price.

The Snake

Bought Outrun last night, despite owning it on pretty much every other system I own, and that includes in virtual arcades inside of Shenmue and Yakuza!

(I just really love Outrun.)

The additions are fantastic. The "New" mode runs at 60fps and is super smooth, they added a bunch of music tracks, all great, and even motion control which is fun after a few rounds with the D-Pad. I also really love the way it collects, keeps, and displays your records for each stage's time.

Definitely looking like it will replace the Saturn version as my go-to.

Bullet Club

Sega Ages: Virtual Racing launches this spring Japan, adds online and eight-player split-screen multiplayer

v77H9kf.jpg

The September 2018-announced Sega Ages: Virtual Racing will launch for Switch via the Nintendo eShop this spring in Japan with support for online races and up to eight-player local split-screen races, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals.

Online races are one-versus-one battles. Your opponent’s status is displayed via picture-in-picture.
Local races support up to eight players, and you can set five-lap and 20-lap race rules. Here is how the screen is divided when eight players are participating:

3JT0Ub2.jpg

And here is how it divided when five players are participating:

X1vQOtq.jpg

Virtua Racing first launched for arcades in August 1992, followed by Sega Genesis in March 1994, Sega 32X in December 1994, and Sega Saturn in June 1995.

Source: Gematsu

stranno

Wow, it will be the second 8-players splitscreen ever. The first one was Street Racer on PSX/SAT (in GEN/SNES it was 4-players). And it was a mess :messenger_dizzy:

mednafen-2012-07-17-14-25-39-544.jpg

Maguro

Not really interested, I have all those original. They really put out their games over and over and over on every single platform as well. Nothing beats Japanese Outrun on Saturn. The Sega classic collections for 3DS are also pretty good.

If they start to put out their arcade ports I might buy some. Golden Axe arcade? Hang on Arcade?

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Sega Ages: Virtual Racing launches this spring Japan, adds online and eight-player split-screen multiplayer

v77H9kf.jpg

The September 2018-announced Sega Ages: Virtual Racing will launch for Switch via the Nintendo eShop this spring in Japan with support for online races and up to eight-player local split-screen races, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals.

Online races are one-versus-one battles. Your opponent’s status is displayed via picture-in-picture.
Local races support up to eight players, and you can set five-lap and 20-lap race rules. Here is how the screen is divided when eight players are participating:

3JT0Ub2.jpg

And here is how it divided when five players are participating:

X1vQOtq.jpg

Virtua Racing first launched for arcades in August 1992, followed by Sega Genesis in March 1994, Sega 32X in December 1994, and Sega Saturn in June 1995.

My only real question is how many race tracks will be included. If I were in charge, I'd bring back the 10 courses and the career mode from Saturn Virtua Racing.

Bullet Club

Sega Ages: Virtua Racing first details, screenshots

First look at eight-player local races.

eF5D7RG.jpg

Sega has updated the official Japanese website for Sega Ages: Virtua Racing with new information and screenshots.

Get the details below.

Sega’s 3D Game Origins Finally Reaches Sega Ages
Control a 3D formula car, choose from one of three course types, and race in four-to-five lap races with the goal of first place. Additionally, you can switch between four different perspectives during gameplay, from the driver’s view to bird’s-eye view.​

iQk8GnC.jpg

UPfsfLY.jpg

BqqhlK0.jpg

H76QBzM.jpg

The First Faithful Reproduction of the Arcade Version

The Sega Ages version of Virtua Racing is the first faithful reproduction of the arcade version. The “Normal Race” and “Grand Prix Race” settings made possible by the arcade circuit board settings can both be configured in the settings. While Normal Race has four-to-five laps, Grand Prix Race is an endurance run of 20 laps. Since your tires wear as you drive, which affects your handling, it is important to determine when to make a pit stop to change your tires in a Grand Prix Race.

Additionally, there are two competitive modes. The first is a two-player online multiplayer race mode. The second is an offline race mode that uses a single Switch unit and supports up to eight players locally. Have everyone bring over their Joy-Cons and resurrect the excitement of being at the arcade.

XVkDtw0.jpg

ZR8tv4S.jpg

mTVcvuP.jpg

Additional Sega Ages-Exclusive Features

Replay saving and playback is an additional feature not included in the original arcade version. You can even change the replay camera, including off-course perspectives.

yUvHdUa.jpg

1gw4Tj2.jpg

Sega Ages: Virtua Racing is due out for Switch this spring in Japan for 925 yen.

Last edited:

Kazza

My only real question is how many race tracks will be included. If I were in charge, I'd bring back the 10 courses and the career mode from Saturn Virtua Racing.

That's exactly what I want to know, but given that they haven't mentioned anything about additional tracks, I'm afraid that it's just going to be the original arcade ones.

Kazza

I've heard conflicting reports about the framerate of the original arcade version. Was it 30 or 60 fps? What about the PS2 version? Does anyone know?

Kazza

Looks like Gain Ground and Alex Kidd will be available to buy in Western countries from March 28th:

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
They should have released Puyo Puyo 2, which is where the series really takes off. They could also do Puyo Puyo 3 & 4, which would enable them to release Saturn and Dreamcast titles. That would be mch better than simply reissuing the exact same Genesis games for the umteenth time.

Kazza

Well, my VPN just went down, so that cut off the youtube Sega Fes feed (I'm in China), but here are the newly announced titles:

Shinobi (arcade)
Wonder Boy in Monster Land (arcade)
Fantasy Zone (arcade)
Tant-R (???)
Herzog Zwei
G-LOC: Air Battle (arcade)

D24ytXjUkAAbYVV.jpg:large

Last edited:

Kazza

Here's some info on the two lesser-known games (info from Wiki):

220px-Tantr.jpg

is a puzzle video game developed and published by Sega in 1993 for the Sega System C in Japan. The first instalment in the Puzzle & Action trilogy, it is a spin-off of Bonanza Bros. The characters from Bonanza Bros, Robo and Mobo, are featured as protagonists,[2] functioning as detectives. A prison escapee is chased, and his henchmen interfere. A series of timed mini games must be completed to defeat the henchmen. The game features references to western culture.

220px-G-LOC_-_Air_Battle_%28arcade_promotional_flyer%29.png

G-LOC: Air Battle is a 1990 air combat arcade game by Sega. The title refers to "G-force induced Loss Of Consciousness".

The game puts the player in a fighter plane, dog fighting other planes. Once the player takes too many hits or the game-timer runs out the game is over. The player earns more time and advances stages by achieving goals that are set each stage. The player initially starts with limited armament which is replenished by completing missions.

Players choose what targets to destroy, like ships, jet fighters, or tanks. Eventually, players will attack bosses such as War Balloon, the Bomber, and the final adversary, an enemy ace who uses the same plane as the player, except with enhanced durability and strength.

Kazza

Oh, and apparently, M2 are doing the emulation for the Megadrive Mini, which would explain why they've been a bit slow with the Sega Ages releases.

Bullet Club

Sega Ages: Virtua Racing launches April 25 in Japan

PeeWbIB.jpg

Sega Ages: Virtua Racing will launch for Switch via the Nintendo eShop in Japan on April 25 for 925 yen, Sega announced.

Here is an overview of the game, via our previous coverage:

Sega’s 3D Game Origins Finally Reaches Sega Ages

Control a 3D formula car, choose from one of three course types, and race in four-to-five lap races with the goal of first place. Additionally, you can switch between four different perspectives during gameplay, from the driver’s view to bird’s-eye view.

The First Faithful Reproduction of the Arcade Version

The Sega Ages version of Virtua Racing is the first faithful reproduction of the arcade version. The “Normal Race” and “Grand Prix Race” settings made possible by the arcade circuit board settings can both be configured in the settings. While Normal Race has four-to-five laps, Grand Prix Race is an endurance run of 20 laps. Since your tires wear as you drive, which affects your handling, it is important to determine when to make a pit stop to change your tires in a Grand Prix Race.

Additionally, there are two competitive modes. The first is a two-player online multiplayer race mode. The second is an offline race mode that uses a single Switch unit and supports up to eight players locally. Have everyone bring over their Joy-Cons and resurrect the excitement of being at the arcade.

Additional Sega Ages-Exclusive Features

Replay saving and playback is an additional feature not included in the original arcade version. You can even change the replay camera, including off-course perspectives.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Anyone else sick to death of Sega flogging the same dead horse over and over and over with these Megadrive titles? Every time, every system, every collection its the same old names...sonic, space harrier, outrun, etc, etc.

Jesus, give us some of your Saturn and Dreamcast stuff ffs.
SEGA :”No”

I cannot believe the sega arcade collections from model 2 onwards haven’t been ported over to consoles yet. I would like daytona usa 2, scud race, sega touring cars, sega rally 1 and 2 (arcade perfect) to be ported on to the switch. They could even add in online play. Not sure whether they are commercially viable, but small digital releases could work?

Top Bottom