• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega AGES games on the Switch

Bullet Club

Sega Ages Columns II: The Voyage Through Time full details, screenshots

Due out "soon" via the Nintendo eShop in Japan.

boW3noU.jpg

Sega has opened the official website for its Sega Ages release of Columns II: The Voyage Through Time, which is due out for Switch “soon” via the Nintendo eShop in Japan for 925 yen.

Here are the new features outlined on the official website:

■ Game Modes

Arcade Mode

Enjoy two game types with “Flash Columns,” a stage clear-style game where you match jewels to eliminate them, and “VS Columns,” where you aim for chains to force up the opponent’s field. By eliminating the skull that appears after a certain period of time passes, the floor will rise and the field will get smaller.
The following additional elements have been added to Arcade Mode:
  • A stage select feature has been added to Flash Columns, allowing you start from any of the 70 stages.
  • A “Skull Cut” option has been added, which stops the appearance of skulls.
  • The second player’s field can be flipped 180 degrees to play VS Mode face-to-face when the Switch is placed on the floor / table.
  • A “Stage Design” option has been added, which allows you to set the design of the field and jewels to your liking—either “Random” or “Columns I.
LHvFZlc.jpg

8jq09rf.jpg

4sFlApR.jpg

53wMTjW.jpg

Infinite Columns

A new mode original to the Switch version of Columns II. The basic rules are the same as Arcade Mode’s Flash Columns, but rather than a stage clear-style game, it is an endless play-style game. After a certain amount of time passes while playing, jewels will be added to the bottom row so that the floor gradually rises. Also, by eliminating any flashing jewels, all jewels of that same color will be eliminated.

waz5M9N.jpg

dbE1ELk.jpg

Columns I

In this mode, you can enjoy endless play based on the origin of the series, the original Columns (Genesis / Mega Drive version). When you start the game, you can choose from three background songs.

*This is the same Columns included with the paid “Game Pack” add-on for the Yakuza 0 Companion App for PS Vita.

ccLZUj9.jpg

jpaj26C.jpg

Network VS

Compete against players online across the country in Arcade Mode’s VS Columns.

hZh3JNu.jpg

aC1qlsd.jpg

■ Bonus Features

Jewel Box

Check the status of the stages you have cleared in Arcade Mode’s Flash Columns. Depending on your level of achievement, you will be able to see brief profiles for Round Girl and Round Boy, the characters that appear in the opening movies of Sega Ages titles.

6KzWavk.jpg

Source: Gematsu

Kazza

I agree with a lot of the criticisms Sega Lord X levels at the Switch Sega Ages games (but don't misunderstand, he does like the games and has a lot of respect for M2). Here's what I would do:
1. Make Sega Ages multi-platform. It made sense to keep the 3DS lie exclusive due to the 3D screen aspect, but no such excuse exists this time.
2. Simultaneous worldwide releases. I don't understand what has been the holdup with the Western releases recently, but I hope Sega fix it.
3. A more regular schedule. The delays are understandable given M2's involvement with the Megadrive Mini, among other projects, but hopefully they can be more focused on the Sega Ages games now that that is pretty much done.
4. Focus more on rarely/never before ported games. As much as I like Space Harrier, Outrun and Sonic, they are so widely available now that it's hard to get excited about yet another port. This list below mostly consists of sequels to already well known games, so they really should be great in terms of sales potental:
- Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder
- Outrunners
- House of the Dead
- Daytona USA 2
- Crazy Taxi 3 (it would be nice to have the new stage play at 60 fps without any slowdown)
- Jet Set Radio Future
- Shinobi: Shadow Dancer (arcade version)
- Chu Chu Rocket (how come we have Columns and 2 Puyo Puyos, but not this yet?)
- Planet Harriers

I could easily list many more, but these are the biggest "no brainers" as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame that they are only selling half as well in Japan as the 3DS range did. Hopefully the non-Japanese sales are making up the difference, although we have no news of how well the games are doing in the West (apart from Alex Kid being a smash hit in Europe)

Last edited:

I agree with a lot of the criticisms Sega Lord X levels at the Switch Sega Ages games (but don't misunderstand, he does like the games and has a lot of respect for M2). Here's what I would do:
1. Make Sega Ages multi-platform. It made sense to keep the 3DS lie exclusive due to the 3D screen aspect, but no such excuse exists this time.
2. Simultaneous worldwide releases. I don't understand what has been the holdup with the Western releases recently, but I hope Sega fix it.
3. A more regular schedule. The delays are understandable given M2's involvement with the Megadrive Mini, among other projects, but hopefully they can be more focused on the Sega Ages games now that that is pretty much done.
4. Focus more on rarely/never before ported games. As much as I like Space Harrier, Outrun and Sonic, they are so widely available now that it's hard to get excited about yet another port. This list below mostly consists of sequels to already well known games, so they really should be great in terms of sales potental:
- Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder
- Outrunners
- House of the Dead
- Daytona USA 2
- Crazy Taxi 3 (it would be nice to have the new stage play at 60 fps without any slowdown)
- Jet Set Radio Future
- Shinobi: Shadow Dancer (arcade version)
- Chu Chu Rocket (how come we have Columns and 2 Puyo Puyos, but not this yet?)
- Planet Harriers

I could easily list many more, but these are the biggest "no brainers" as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame that they are only selling half as well in Japan as the 3DS range did. Hopefully the non-Japanese sales are making up the difference, although we have no news of how well the games are doing in the West (apart from Alex Kid being a smash hit in Europe)

Would be a dream

Would also like AB cop on there that is underappreciated....and Kenseiden with improvements too!

SEGA are so stupid sometimes when it comes to treating Japan as Kings and the RotW like paupers especially when SEGA is not really a huge name over there compared to over here where people still love them when they think back to the older times.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Would be a dream

Would also like AB cop on there that is underappreciated....and Kenseiden with improvements too!

SEGA are so stupid sometimes when it comes to treating Japan as Kings and the RotW like paupers especially when SEGA is not really a huge name over there compared to over here where people still love them when they think back to the older times.
Most of their software sells better in the west...and their PC RTS/soccer games? I also don't get it.

With the Mega Drive's 30th Anniversary coming up for the US, what games would you like to see on the SEGA AGES line up from the Console?

My top 5 would be these:

Arrow Flash (with additions similar to Thunder Force IV)

Vectorman 2 (with addition such as an Easy Mode and improvements to the game overall)

Streets of Rage 3 (can change region difficulties, adds features from the 3DS SoR2 version as well)

Surging Aura (English translation added and improvements to the gameplay to make it more accessable for everyone)

Elemental Master (Added Easy Mode and imrpovements to gameplay)

*Twinkle Tale (official English release which is from the Fan Translation. Same imrpovements as Elemental Master)

cireza

Banned
With the Mega Drive's 30th Anniversary coming up for the US, what games would you like to see on the SEGA AGES line up from the Console?

My top 5 would be these:

Arrow Flash (with additions similar to Thunder Force IV)

Vectorman 2 (with addition such as an Easy Mode and improvements to the game overall)

Streets of Rage 3 (can change region difficulties, adds features from the 3DS SoR2 version as well)

Surging Aura (English translation added and improvements to the gameplay to make it more accessable for everyone)

Elemental Master (Added Easy Mode and imrpovements to gameplay)

*Twinkle Tale (official English release which is from the Fan Translation. Same imrpovements as Elemental Master)
I would only pick games where M2 can actually provide some meaningful additional content. For example, Phantasy Star II with some kind of map and monster reference accessible on the side of the screen.

Phantasy Star II : possibility to keep Nei, in-game reference for the world (maps, monsters, equipment)
Shining Force II : special mode where you can set the order in which you get the characters at the beginning of the playthrough (even if the story does not make sense anymore)
Streets of Rage 3 : I would pick it as well, with the possibility to select the color palette and difficulty between US/JAP
Hybrid Front : they said they would translate stuff, so go ahead and translate it M2 !
Golden Axe 3 : this game is awesome, I am not too sure of what they could add to the release though. Maybe something that displays all the possible routes, and tells you which ones you have completed. Bind the special attack on a specific button too.

Last edited:

awesomeparadise3

Neo Member
Speaking of Mega Drive, a Mega Drive mode will be included in Ichidant-R's release.

Last edited:

awesomeparadise3

Neo Member
Sega Ages will be at Tokyo Game Show.

Hoping they do something with Sakura Wars 1 and 2 in the West if they announce it for Japan.

Expecting more Mega Drive stuff though and perhaps one or two System 16/SMS stuff too.

Last edited:

awesomeparadise3

Neo Member
Last edited:

Quasicat

All I really wanted out of the SEGA AGES stuff, that hasn’t been released, was Panzer Dragoon Zwei and maybe Skies of Arcadia. At this point, I’m happy with what they have accomplished, but would love to see them release more games not on the already released Genesis Collection.

sol_bad

I don't own a Switch but I'll never understand the games they have chosen so far. Pretty much all of them have already been available in some form or another over the years. They should be deep diving in to shit that has never been released at home. Maybe programming these games on multiple consoles would be hard work but it's crazy that they released them only on Switch.

Kazza

I don't own a Switch but I'll never understand the games they have chosen so far. Pretty much all of them have already been available in some form or another over the years. They should be deep diving in to shit that has never been released at home. Maybe programming these games on multiple consoles would be hard work but it's crazy that they released them only on Switch.

I find it hard to get excited for yet another port of Space Harrier or Outrun too, but I guess those are always safe bets in terms of sales. I hope they go for never/rarely ported arcade games in the next batch.

Porcile

Does Iinchidant R have some nostalgic weight for Japanese gamers?

I've picked up VR and Outrun so far. Yeah, the lineup kind of sucks considering what is possible.

No new annpuncements from TGS?

Pretty disappointing that SEGA don't look into their earlier works if they really cannot emulate Saturn or Dreamcast stuff.

I would love Keiseiden on SEGA AGES.

Dazrael

I thought M2 said that they managed to get Dreamcast emulation working on the Switch. It makes you wonder why they are making such lacklustre choices on games and then moan about lack of sales.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I thought M2 said that they managed to get Dreamcast emulation working on the Switch. It makes you wonder why they are making such lacklustre choices on games and then moan about lack of sales.
Do you hate sonic 1?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think the world would be better off if Sonic 1 never got another re-release. It's a fine game, but I don't ever want to see it again, and if I do, I will curse the bloodline of that Sega employee for 49 generations.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Sega Ages Columns II: The Voyage Through Time and Sega Ages Puzzle & Action: Ichidant-R will be out in the west on October 17 for US$7.99 each.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I'm just waiting for Sega to get off their butts and give us Herzog Zwei with online multiplayer. It's such a blazingly obvious idea that I'm certain it won't happen. Anything that requires more effort than a basic ROM dump probably won't happen.

Also, Sega should hurry the heck up and reissue Saturn and Dreamcast titles to Switch, especially now that a proper steering wheel is coming.

cireza

Banned
Sega should hurry the heck up and reissue Saturn and Dreamcast titles to Switch
I hope that we will see a few Dreamcast games, even if I am bit worried and think it might not happen.

Even though I am certain that Rieko Kodama has been doing her best about this project, I still don't understand some choices. And M2 has been doing too many things at once.

This is a bit frustrating honestly.

Kazza

SEGA-AGES-Shinobi.png

"SEGA AGES Shinobi adds several new features, as usual with these SEGA AGES releases. For those that want to improve themselves or want to skip stages, both a new stage select and difficulty options are now available. A special border will also be provided that emulates an arcade setting, similar to SEGA AGES Space Harrier. But the biggest addition is the SEGA AGES mode, which causes Joe to dress up in white garments, be fully powered up, and have a life system. For those that have played The Super Shinobi (aka The Revenge of Shinobi), this brand new SEGA AGES mode will be very familiar."

They are making some really interesting changes to this one. The games sounds like it would be a little too easy with a life bar, so I wonder if they will increase the number of enemies to balance things out?

SegaBits

Last edited:

Neff

I wonder if they will increase the number of enemies to balance things out?

If the player only has one life and the enemies are more abundant/aggressive, a life bar could be interesting.

Would have been nice if they'd managed to arcade-fy the adventure-lite Master System experience where dying really was a drag because you'd lose everything.

Kazza

If the player only has one life and the enemies are more abundant/aggressive, a life bar could be interesting.

Would have been nice if they'd managed to arcade-fy the adventure-lite Master System experience where dying really was a drag because you'd lose everything.

I just want them to do something to make those bonus stages not quite so impossible to complete.

Neff

I just want them to do something to make those bonus stages not quite so impossible to complete.

I had the patterns memorised for the first three so I'd always get x3 1ups per run, guaranteed. If you don't know the patterns though, they are tough. And they get harder.

Top Bottom