• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega AGES games on the Switch

Bullet Club

Sega Ages Puyo Puyo Tsu will be out January 16th in Japan.

Bullet Club

Sega Ages Sonic the Hedgehog 2 includes Knuckles in Sonic 2

An update on the September 2018-announced Sega Ages release.

The September 2018-announced Sega Ages Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for Switch will include “Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2,” the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals.

“Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2” is a mode that was originally playable in the original Sega Genesis release by inserting the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 cartridge on top of the Sonic & Knuckles cartridge using “Lock-On Technology.”

As previously detailed, Sega Ages Sonic the Hedgehog 2 will also include additional actions, “Super Sonic Mode,” online rankings, and other features.

A release date has yet to be announced.

Source: Gematsu

mcjmetroid

Sega Ages Sonic the Hedgehog 2 includes Knuckles in Sonic 2

An update on the September 2018-announced Sega Ages release.

The September 2018-announced Sega Ages Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for Switch will include “Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2,” the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals.

“Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2” is a mode that was originally playable in the original Sega Genesis release by inserting the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 cartridge on top of the Sonic & Knuckles cartridge using “Lock-On Technology.”

As previously detailed, Sega Ages Sonic the Hedgehog 2 will also include additional actions, “Super Sonic Mode,” online rankings, and other features.

A release date has yet to be announced.

Source: Gematsu
Didn't I hear before as well that they'll improve the multiplayer mode as well?

cireza

I always liked Knuckles in Sonic 2. This game feels like a romhack from 1994. You can feel that Knuckles was never part of the level-design of the original game so it introduces some interesting things, they placed some 1ups here and there to reward you from climbing everywhere etc...

Knuckles does not jump as high as Sonic as well, so you have to rely on climbing even for small jumps (well I kind of have a doubt for this game now, I need to check it out).

I think the bonus stages are different as well (and easier).

Last edited:

Kazza

It's coming out March 26th in Japan:

SEGA AGES G-LOC Air Battle
will have a special border designed to emulate the R360 arcade cabinet’s dynamic movements, with the screen shifting based on your actions within the game. In addition, a new SEGA AGES mode will be included, with new missions, a larger search range, and faster lock-on cursor, making it ideal for novice players. Like past SEGA AGES releases, there will also be online rankings.

Last edited:

celsowmbr

Banned
I hope they announce something for Ages Series tomorrow:

ET6UiOpXQAEG6Tz

Kazza

SEGA-AGES-Thunder-Force-AC.png

The SEGA AGES release adds several new features, most notably the selection of different ships. FIRE LEO-03 STYX being the default ship, FIRE LEO-03 STYX Mass Product being a revamped version of the original ship that was included in Thunder Force Gold Pack 2, FIRE LEO-04 RYNEX from Thunder Force IV, and FIRE LEO-04 RYNEX with the Thunder Sword. Like it’s predecessor SEGA AGES Thunder Force IV, there will also be a Kids Mode that increases the power of your attacks and doesn’t penalize you by stripping away your weapons upon death, ideal for more novice players.

This is a strange choice. I have been enjoying playing it on my Megadrive Mini, it's a great game, but I'm not sure it warranted a Sega Ages release. It's not so hard for a shoot'em up, so doesn't really need the easier modes being implemented here.

No release date.

Last edited:

awesomeparadise3

Neo Member
If they bring more Puyo Puyo games I hope they'll translate them. I don't understand why Puyo Puyo Tsu didn't include the english version that was in the marketing.

Kazza

Is Thunder Force AC good? Is it worth jumping in if this is my first experience with the series?

I haven't played AC, but I have played Thunderforce III (which AC is basically an arcade version of). III is a great game, really pumping music, nice graphics and gameplay which isn't so punishing (16-bit shoot'em ups tend to be very difficult, but AC/III is a bit more fair). With the usual tweaks and improvements by M2, I'm sure AC will turn out great, a good introduction to the series.

I haven't played AC, but I have played Thunderforce III (which AC is basically an arcade version of). III is a great game, really pumping music, nice graphics and gameplay which isn't so punishing (16-bit shoot'em ups tend to be very difficult, but AC/III is a bit more fair). With the usual tweaks and improvements by M2, I'm sure AC will turn out great, a good introduction to the series.

Thunderforce AC is quite a bit more difficult than Thunderforce III. I believe it's the main thing that differentiates the two games.

Trimesh

Banned
"Lightening Force" was the work of incompetent Sega of America marketing weasels. Technosoft never signed off on that. Notice how they couldn't even get the spelling right. It's Thunder Force 4 and that's the name that should be used.

(See Also: Astro, Tralfaz)

The name works - it does make your pockets lighter, after all.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Sadly, Sega Rally and Outrun 2 are stuck in licencing limbo.

I would be fine with them re-badging the cars and making cosmetic changes (Like they did with Outrun 1). But I doubt it will happen :(
Just pay them some cash to reuse the licence. It’s not like they haven’t reused the cars in games afterwards. Am sure in the Xbox Sega rally those cars were in there to

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Just pay them some cash to reuse the licence. It’s not like they haven’t reused the cars in games afterwards. Am sure in the Xbox Sega rally those cars were in there to

The problem is that 1) the price for securing said licenses have most likely shot through the roof, and 2) far fewer copies of any videogame, e.g. Sega Rally, would be sold today than at the time of the original arcade & console releases.

A perfect example: back in 1992, Atari Corp paid $50K for the license to Batman Returns for their Atari Lynx videogame. How much do you think the Batman license will set you back today? Assuming that someone else doesn't have exclusive rights to it already?

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Sadly, Sega Rally and Outrun 2 are stuck in licencing limbo.

I would be fine with them re-badging the cars and making cosmetic changes (Like they did with Outrun 1). But I doubt it will happen :(

That would probably depend on whether or not the original source code still exists or has been lost. In that case, you're talking about a built-from-scratch new videogame with a budget in the tens of millions. And Sega's not going to get that money back. It sucks but them's the brakes.

Top Bottom